Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i should buy that book just to look at the cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll read the book after my replay and rewatch of the entire Final Fantasy XV extended universe.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I'll read the book after my replay and rewatch of the entire Final Fantasy XV extended universe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

Although it was funny how the end game was balanced around you only being level 35 or something so everything was insanely trivial if you did any side content at all, which I did a lot of

yeah, lol. i got through almost all of the sidequests before the ending, but then the weird way they did the last chapter made it feel sort of empty to go back and clean up anything i'd missed.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That’s why 8 doing scaling owns the Ben though junctioning makes you too dang strong. Scaling in an RPG is a good idea imo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
doing the no level up run of ff8 rules

tokyo facefuck
Jul 28, 2016

no thanks.
ff15 was good because it was just bro’s being dudes

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Scaling is okay but the best system is when the game just expects you to be level capped for endgame content and doesn’t make hitting 99 an awful slog. Why even have 99 levels if the game is trivialized at 70, 80+.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

scaling is usually rear end, it's cool to be under or overlevelled as you wish that is one of the finest things about classic jrpgs

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scaling is moronic most of the time because it means there's no point in having a level system at all. At that point just stop having RPG stats and strip if back to unlockable skills

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Being overleveled sucks rear end and scaling should only ever go up

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It makes sense for non linear stuff like Romancing Saga but otherwise just let me grind these slimes until I'm ready to cross the bridge.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

P-Mack posted:

It makes sense for non linear stuff like Romancing Saga but otherwise just let me grind these slimes until I'm ready to cross the bridge.

vague memories of i think minstrel song? where the game would actively punish you for winning fights

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Scaling is moronic most of the time because it means there's no point in having a level system at all. At that point just stop having RPG stats and strip if back to unlockable skills

yes exactly

If you are overlevlled because you want to be that's fine for you I guess. But far more often it's a case of doing literally any side quests or exploring shoots you over where the difficulty curve anticipated you'd be never to return.

XII did a great job of difficulty until it just gave you the double LP items and the Zodiac Age gave you a second unadjusted board lol

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Being overleveled sucks rear end and scaling should only ever go up

:hai:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

XIII is initially very linear also and this helped a bunch in feeling like a nice difficulty throughout

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
chrono cross had a real good system. i should replay CT and then it...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ended up doing Shumi Village, thought I'd have gotten more info on Laguna and Squall but not much. Still a neat area though and I'm glad I did it as I just got onto disc 4 and Ultimecia castle. The time compression boss fight was super cool with the random sorcereress.

I think with Laguna's full optional explanation in the presidents office I've a good idea of the full story. Though I'll be driven demented if Ellone doesn't confirm Squall is the child Raine had when Laguna was off saving her

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Bolverkur posted:

scaling is usually rear end, it's cool to be under or overlevelled as you wish that is one of the finest things about classic jrpgs

ya

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

being able to turn exp on and off in the settings like bravely default does should b standard.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The last time I played Lightning Returns I had just gotten my chocobo mount and lost power. I've been afraid to check on the status of my save since.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

que sera sera posted:

being able to turn exp on and off in the settings like bravely default does should b standard.

I need to play those. And that works too. Imo the issue with overlevelling is that it can happen by accident really easily and when it does you're just overlevelled for the rest of the game p much which sucks.

Scaling ftw. can't believe people want to grind

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Bravely Default is really cool. It also lets you turn off enemy encounters temporarily if you're cleaning out an old dungeon or something

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In the context of Final Fantasy games though who cares because they've never been shining examples of well balanced/difficult RPGs. It's gotten better in more recent entries but even FF7R can be broken over your knee if you care to do it. FF8 is like the preeminent example of an extremely broken system and the level scaling is one of the reasons for that. I still love the series but let's be realistic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I enjoy them and that is a thing that I think would make them better also :geno:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like they've added x3 speed to all their rereleases recently. Having a standard no exp switch isn't an insane idea

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bravely Default 2 (the third game in the series) still has a 2020 release date but I'll eat my chocobo if that actually happens

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

being so overleveled you annihilate the final boss in 2 hits is my fave part of JRPGs.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I always create a backup save at the point of no return before doing postgame stuff then reload the low level save and go do the boss

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

being so overleveled you annihilate the final boss in 2 hits is my fave part of JRPGs.

it owns in FFX so hard. Seymour comes out with his huge wheel and dramatic music and then dies to a single quick hit before he can do anything

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

yeah this. scaling sucks

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

XII did a great job of difficulty until it just gave you the double LP items and the Zodiac Age gave you a second unadjusted board lol

and they incentivized people to play trial mode so you can get op gear doing a few minutes of trials. about halfway through the game you can abuse it even more - trial 49 lets you steal infinite ribbons, trial 50 lets you steal infinite wyrmhero blades (the quest reward for beating yiazmat and omega mark xii superbosses lol)

i'm not complaining though, it's fun feeling like you're getting one over on the devs

theres a good mod for pc XII called 'struggle for freedom' that fixes all of this (forces you into single revamped job-board, makes trial mode harder) that's great if you want a 'balanced' ffxii

tokyo facefuck
Jul 28, 2016

no thanks.
FF8 kinda rules for how broken scaling is. the game is the same difficulty no matter how you play it but you’re gated out of useful spells no matter how high or low level you are so you have no choice but to play cards until you can break the game before leaving the first town

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

tokyo facefuck posted:

ff15 was good because it was just bro’s being dudes

i believe the lesson here is that you can get away with the first game in the series with no permanent female party members if the guys are all designed to actually be attractive to women

unless i missed something and there is a lady member of your jpop ensemble

tokyo facefuck
Jul 28, 2016

no thanks.

Hodgepodge posted:

unless i missed something and there is a lady member of your jpop ensemble

last I checked it was all dudes eatin cup noodle around a campfire while they talked about how having sex sucks and just chillin with your bro’s is best

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pronto takes pictures of the gang all along the Mississippi River but eventually Nox has to get back to Little Becky.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

In Training posted:

last time I played FF2 (the bad one) I got a pre-emptive attack on the final boss and crushed him before he got the single turn.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jason Sextro posted:

last time I played FF2 (the bad one) I got a pre-emptive attack on the final boss and crushed him before he got the single turn.

doesnt ff2 have the elder scrolls skill up system? That was pretty fun

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

doesnt ff2 have the elder scrolls skill up system? That was pretty fun

i've never beat it because every time i start i just grind at the beginning, endlessly making the heroes hit each other, until i get bored.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

and they incentivized people to play trial mode so you can get op gear doing a few minutes of trials. about halfway through the game you can abuse it even more - trial 49 lets you steal infinite ribbons, trial 50 lets you steal infinite wyrmhero blades (the quest reward for beating yiazmat and omega mark xii superbosses lol)

i'm not complaining though, it's fun feeling like you're getting one over on the devs

theres a good mod for pc XII called 'struggle for freedom' that fixes all of this (forces you into single revamped job-board, makes trial mode harder) that's great if you want a 'balanced' ffxii

That sounds cool as hell to me, cursing my life as a console gamer now. I think the Zodiac age should have had two copies of license boards, the regular and a diminished one if it's the second class that only gives equipment/spells rather than a new full set of stat buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My favorite thing about Final Fantasy 2 is the programmer who decided that Ultima should suck because it was a really old spell and magic had advanced way further since then and then ciphered the source code so nobody could change it