Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Hidin' Joe is so obviously better than Joe Hiden'

Not like either of them are good insults, but cmon

He’s not Hiden’, he’s just Biden his time :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think Joseph R. Hiden has a nice ring to it

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Not even ashamed of that snipe

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

I still don't think there will be debates. Trump will find some reason not to do it on the SLIGHT chance Biden might beat him.

It'll result in two weeks of "Trump is a coward" coverage. He hates being called a coward more than he would hate debating. Plus, he thinks he BEAT Clinton in 2016. Of course his dumb rear end is going to debate.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Yeah the market recovering completely reallly worries me going forward.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Why? How does it/will it affect you?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Policing has always been like this. If anything, the contemporary era has been less violently racist in some regards. Fewer cases of cops joining with the rest of the town to have a picnic while they string a dude up and set him on fire, and whatnot.

Well that's definitely true.

So to that end... is it even fixable without somehow restarting the country? Like how do you get that sort of rot out over time?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stock market hasn't done much for his approval numbers over the past four years, I don't see why it should start now that we've also got >10 percent unemployment or whatever it is.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Grayly Squirrel posted:

It would affect me because I feel that it would make Donald J. Trump, our favorite Big Wet President, more likely to get re elected.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

We're literally in a depression.

They are still using the economy as why they vote for him.

It's not going to matter.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Trump ran and hid in the WH bunker when there was no chance of protestors getting anywhere near him. Imagine if he had to live in the situation Wheeler did. Trump would have shot someone by now.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

It would affect me because I feel that it would make Donald J. Trump, our favorite Big Wet President, more likely to get re elected.
Nobody gives a gently caress about the stock market. "But the numbers say our economy is doing well!" is the same approach Clinton took in 2016, and look how that turned out.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Glumwheels posted:

Trump ran and hid in the WH bunker when there was no chance of protestors getting anywhere near him. Imagine if he had to live in the situation Wheeler did. Trump would have shot someone by now.

I don't believe Donald Trump has ever fired a gun.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The DJI is being pumped by your top line stocks.

For most stocks the market is just being slaughtered.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, weirdly enough trumps campaign of 2020 feels more like clintons than bidens does which is weird and trump seem to be making similar mistakes that she did against him, anyway, the animal crossing thing feels like a genuin shot a fun outreach thing "hey, people really love this wholesome game and make fun custom content, lets try our hand at it" rather than "the kids like the pokeman right?"

Yeah it's real wierd how one malignant narcissist would make the same mistakes of the malignant narcissist he just beat, really makes you think :thunk:

Not even trying to be sassy, it's legit amazing to me how much Hillary and Trump pathology wise are the same in terms of their mistakes on the campaign trail, like ignoring swing states and not even campaigning effectively while trying to badly meme it up

It's like Trump hired her team, or they both just think that way

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Medullah posted:

I still don't think there will be debates. Trump will find some reason not to do it on the SLIGHT chance Biden might beat him.

Yeah I'm not ruling out Trump backing down, but if that's what ends up happening, they're going to try to frame it as Biden being the one to flinch by setting whatever insane stipulations, like the however long in this hell year ago suggestion that they both have to have drug tests before the debate or some other nonsense so that they can call it off, even as pathetically transparent as it would be to everyone who hasn't gone full chud.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress about the stock market. "But the numbers say our economy is doing well!" is the same approach Clinton took in 2016, and look how that turned out.

Yes, and 2016 also showed us more than ever how loving stupid the average voter is.

Republicans are masters at convincing people to vote against their own self interests.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

cr0y posted:

They aren't based in anything

stocks are the original butt coin.z

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Hidin' Joe is so obviously better than Joe Hiden'

Not like either of them are good insults, but cmon

Hiden' Biden is better.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

I wonder what percentage of average people that look at the big numbers and think the unemployment and GDP numbers are bullshit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It'll result in two weeks of "Trump is a coward" coverage. He hates being called a coward more than he would hate debating. Plus, he thinks he BEAT Clinton in 2016. Of course his dumb rear end is going to debate.

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah I'm not ruling out Trump backing down, but if that's what ends up happening, they're going to try to frame it as Biden being the one to flinch by setting whatever insane stipulations, like the however long in this hell year ago suggestion that they both have to have drug tests before the debate or some other nonsense so that they can call it off, even as pathetically transparent as it would be to everyone who hasn't gone full chud.

Exactly. He'll pull the "I *wanted* to debate but they won't let me just because STRAW MAN STRAW MAN STRAW MAN" and 3/4 of the country will believe him.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Yes, and 2016 also showed us more than ever how loving stupid the average voter is.

Republicans are masters at convincing people to vote against their own self interests.
Convincing people to vote against their self-interest is one thing, telling people that everything is fine and dandy when they don't have a job and half their family is sick with covid is another. Anyone who is unironically using the stock market as a reason to vote for Trump was already going to vote for Trump.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There's plenty of better reasons to be nervous about the election than "The GOP will run on the stonks!!" given that we have no evidence of a strong stock market being a major boon to their chances at any point in any of the midterms or special elections over the past 4 years.

You might as well be worried that the betting markets like Trump.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also people normally look at their personal statements. Depending on her allocations, it actually hasn't gone up very much this year.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
In addition to the various QE/stimulus factors, also keep in mind that the various stock market indexes are being pushed up be a fairly small core group of stocks like Amazon where the pandemic has actually played in their favor. It's not a sign of a healthy economy and I think a growing number of even the lamest suburbanites recognize that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you had a lot of small cap exposure or mid-cap, for example, you're seeing a different picture.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Double-digit unemployment, mass evictions, no UI, a virus killing hundreds of thousands, and more.

The stock market's imaginary number will not save him among anyone not already on Team Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump wins on the issue of the economy in every poll. It’s not saving him.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/NicoleSganga/status/1301192352271347714?s=20

I don't think this has gotten brought up yet, but this is kind of surprising to me if it's true, considering how much emphasis the campaign has occasionally put on the debates as the moment where it'll all come together and they'll sweep Biden away. Makes me wonder if they believe their own hype about how Biden's going to literally poo poo himself on national TV and then dissolve into dust instead of have a boring, generally competent, somewhat dishonest performance like he usually does.

He didn’t do debate prep in 2016 I recall. It fits his particular magical thinking to assume that he works best in the moment and trying too hard would jinx it or something.

I don’t get the “he won’t debate” prediction. He likes being on TV more than he likes being president and he thinks he destroyed Hillary.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 2, 2020

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

Exactly. He'll pull the "I *wanted* to debate but they won't let me just because STRAW MAN STRAW MAN STRAW MAN" and 3/4 of the country will believe him.

No, they won't. At best, a third would. I would even posit a number of supporters will go "WHAT THE gently caress MAN WHY DIDN'T YOU CRUSH SLEEPY JOE?!?!?!?!?!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eric Cantonese posted:

In addition to the various QE/stimulus factors, also keep in mind that the various stock market indexes are being pushed up be a fairly small core group of stocks like Amazon where the pandemic has actually played in their favor. It's not a sign of a healthy economy and I think a growing number of even the lamest suburbanites recognize that.
Yes and I believe we are about to have big airline layoffs soon

The theme parks here in Orlando are laying people off left and right

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Right in my goddamn veins

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1301193767496581122

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1301230828614307840

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 2, 2020

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Grayly Squirrel posted:

a lot of older folks are heavily invested in the market via retirement accounts. polling from the past few months has shown really poor numbers among the elderly for trump, likely due primarily to the GOP's covid strategy basically being sacrificing the olds but maybe also the market being much weaker at the time. the latter is speculation on my part, I don't know if there's data to back up the market weakness contributing to unfavorability with elderly, but it wouldn't surprise me, and it would explain how a market recovery could play out in trump's favor even if the bigger problems of unemployment and housing insecurity persist

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of stocks, maybe you guys can explain a conspiracy theory to me.

I have heard from a few different people now that there is a secret-but-not-really group that is buying stocks any time they start to dip in order to prevent any major stock from cratering. Like the sentiment is that any reasonable investment can't fail now because there is a guardian angel group that will start buying if any trouble is on the horizon.

It sound ridiculous, but is this an actual widespread rumor or just a few people I know being idiots? Is this the qanon of the investor class?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/NicoleSganga/status/1301192352271347714?s=20

I don't think this has gotten brought up yet, but this is kind of surprising to me if it's true, considering how much emphasis the campaign has occasionally put on the debates as the moment where it'll all come together and they'll sweep Biden away. Makes me wonder if they believe their own hype about how Biden's going to literally poo poo himself on national TV and then dissolve into dust instead of have a boring, generally competent, somewhat dishonest performance like he usually does.

Your first mistake was thinking anything the Trump campaign says matters or is real.

They're literally saying biden won't agree to debates he agreed to months ago.

And it won't matter because Trump will get trounced and nobody who likes him will care. Debates don't matter at all.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Xombie posted:

A sticker from the primaries isn't relevant to current US politics just because you're still mad about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNo059I8Z7k

e: this was 2 days ago

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

frytechnician posted:

the monumental system of hate, racism, wilful ignorance and greed that is vast swathes of the USA today.

It’s literally the foundation the country was built on. America doesn’t exist without hatred, racism, willful ignorance, and greed.

They are the American virtues.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1301244429399924737

this is the lady we keep getting told is a cunning political game player

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
What would even be the point of trying to prep Donald Trump for a debate? It would be like trying to teach your dog to play chess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1301266145874411520

Hmmm