Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Levitate posted:

This would be more interesting if he just said “I like rim brakes” instead of spending multiple paragraphs sounding like an rear end in a top hat

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Everyone thinks they’re the first person to develop the rim is giant disc joke.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kimbo305 posted:

Everyone thinks they’re the first person to develop the rim is giant disc joke.

I suspect st Sheldon came up with it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Having the steerer integrated into the stem and the fork clamping onto the steerer seems idiotic... like rim brakes in 2020.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

Having the steerer integrated into the stem and the fork clamping onto the steerer seems idiotic... like rim brakes in 2020.

If my countless hours in bridge builder have taught me anything, the gussets on the crank are backwards and will be real collapsey under any kind of big watts

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 1, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

e.pilot posted:

If my countless hours in bridge builder have taught me anything, the gussets on the crank are backwards and will be real collapsey under any kind of big watts

Or the trusses/triangles are oriented the right way. We've just been riding bicycles backward the whole time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

Or the trusses/triangles are oriented the right way. We've just been riding bicycles backward the whole time.

:thunk:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

e.pilot posted:

I don't think those cranks had many issues except the splines stripping. Admittedly, that failure may have prevented any long term issues from coming up.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nm posted:

I don't think those cranks had many issues except the splines stripping. Admittedly, that failure may have prevented any long term issues from coming up.

he's talking about the diagonal braces in the spider. They should be joining the opposite corners.

incendia
Apr 8, 2007

Cephalomaniac
Well, more fool me I guess. Was waiting on the Endurace to see if Canyon pushed a sale over the TdF.

Instead they raised the price by £250.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TobinHatesYou posted:

he's talking about the diagonal braces in the spider. They should be joining the opposite corners.

Do they neeeed to be? By triangulating at all, wouldn't those rectangles resist being distorted? The links as oriented would resist via tension instead of compression.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

e.pilot posted:

lol look at this guy that never rides down big hills, never rides in the wet, and never rides with carbon wheels

I'd also like to add sandy areas to this, wears rims and pads down so quickly

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A wheel rim is basically a big disc, if you think about it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

:getout:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Hahaha, wow, gosh I never thought of it that way before.
Thanks for sharing this novel and witty take that is in no way a lame repeat of the same post yesterday.

Apr 7, 2003

My pleasure!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

2/10

+1 point for color and +1 point for Speedplays.

Now let's all post handmade bikes that aren't a retrogrouch travesty.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 1, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

wait is that really a weird sarcastic article about how the simplicity of rim brakes is better than disc but also on a bike with dumbass internal cable routing?

Apr 7, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

wait is that really a weird sarcastic article about how the simplicity of rim brakes is better than disc but also on a bike with dumbass internal cable routing?

The English are known for their excellent engineering, see also Lucas electrics and household hot water cisterns.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Is there a place I can get non-black spacers for a 1-1/4" tube? Specifically I'm trying to find some gold ones.

Trying to add a dash of color to my all-black-everything bike.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Talk me out of buying a commuter/road bike with a Gates belt drive. Because I've been looking at them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

Yeah, I'm just saying I remember when those cranks came out in the 90s, and I never heard of any failures beyond the splines stripping.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I crunched my road bike a few weeks ago. It is out of service until Giant ships the replacement frame.

So I have been riding my gravel bike in the mean time. Until I folded the inner chain ring on my Praxxis Zayete carbon crankset trying to push over the top of a very steep hill. That is what 190 pounds, 40 rmp will do. And I can't seem to find replacement rings anywhere. The shop said they will warranty it, but who knows when the part will arrive.

And my backup road bike is a CAAD12 from my bike rental biz, but somebody has it out for a 2 week rental.

So my choices are dust off the bike of questionable road worthiness that is on my trainer, or ride the vintage Mavic equiped Vitus 979 for the next few weeks. Let's see what I can break next.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Talk me out of buying a commuter/road bike with a Gates belt drive. Because I've been looking at them.

IGH pedal feel is divisive. I really don't like it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Tried to go do some climbing at a mountain right next to my city in Taiwan because it looked like there was a nice road all the way across it... of course there's a military base covering most of the mountain and that road goes right across it. Was thinking there were suspiciously few markings along the road on google maps...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Chinatown posted:

I will not, I have one and its real good.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I went on a sad sad bike 3 mile ride yesterday. But my cleats got here and I'm going to a state park to try them out in a safe environment.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Went to a local shop today just to check out inventory, and they just happened to have a new Giant Contend AR3 that a guy had never ridden more than a block and just returned because it didn't fit him right, so I picked it up for $250 off the new price! It's so drat smooth compared to my beater! Excited to start getting into whatever this is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Apr 7, 2003

Sneeing Emu posted:

Went to a local shop today just to check out inventory, and they just happened to have a new Giant Contend AR3 that a guy had never ridden more than a block and just returned because it didn't fit him right, so I picked it up for $250 off the new price! It's so drat smooth compared to my beater! Excited to start getting into whatever this is.

I'm riding the '1' version of this (carbon post + fork, Shimano 105 R7000 groupset) and it's a fantastic bike for the price. Put over 1000 miles on it so far since June and it's been a blast to ride.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
So here's how I know I've become a bit obsessive. I found a PBP video where I popup in the middle of it; this is something I've been looking for since last year on occasion. I finally found one in one of the official videos. I have a pretty distinct riding style so it was easy to find. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5twczA2uF0U&t=562s

I'm the guy in the white helmet far in the background. 2 seconds later, I'm ahead of the people being featured.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sneeing Emu posted:

Nice! Very much a bike I'm interested in.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ElMaligno posted:

I went on a sad sad bike 3 mile ride yesterday. But my cleats got here and I'm going to a state park to try them out in a safe environment.

So I went to the state park (This one if you are curious) it went as well as the first time using clipless pedals can be.

I mean at least I did about 7.7 miles while getting up from eating poo poo????

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Cracking spring day in Sydney today, best thing about covid is being able to ride more.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A good part of my weekend was 75km of gravel in the middle of nowhere and it owned.

Highway 314. Easy as pie served on a washboard.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

New bike for m'lady friend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

numberoneposter posted:

New bike for m'lady friend.

Where are the brakes???

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

vikingstrike posted:

Where are the brakes???
integrated disc rotors :cool:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Pulled the BB out of my bike today to find ... its totally trashed and sadly after looking at the chain rings they are toast. Teeth are mangled, etc.

Yay.

The BB is a BB-5500 118.5, triple chain ring in the front and a 9 speed cassette. Crank arms are an FC-5505.

The question I guess is .. how does the "lower" end stuff compare to the 105 of 2006? I am just riding or fun, am I really going to notice the Tiagra or whatever it is a step below if I were to transition to that? I just wish bikes weren't so insanely expensive right now, would make the choice much easier.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 2, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Can't you just buy new chainrings and a new octalink BB?
That should be cheaper than a new crank set. I am a huge fan of the FC-5500, it is the last really good looking road crank shimano made.

I mean Tiagra will shift just as well but have you looked at it? Ewww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Pulled the BB out of my bike today to find ... its totally trashed and sadly after looking at the chain rings they are toast. Teeth are mangled, etc.

Yay.

The BB is a BB-5500 118.5, triple chain ring in the front and a 9 speed cassette. Crank arms are an FC-5505.

The question I guess is .. how does the "lower" end stuff compare to the 105 of 2006? I am just riding or fun, am I really going to notice the Tiagra or whatever it is a step below if I were to transition to that?

Hunh, I didn't know that generation was square taper bottom bracket.
Are you talking about replacing just the crankset? It's not a huge change going up to Hollowtech or sticking to a lower tier of square taper. I'd say get whatever's a deal online.