Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Tessa is more of a tritagonist at this point. She isn't even the deuteragonist; that's HP. And I'd be pretty surprised if she didn't end up being an antagonist before the end. The swerve from her to what normally would have amounted to a background character as the main protagonist is arguably one of the best moments of the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can’t be the only one who’s absolutely certain that “what’s up with Tessa’s weird symbol” and “why is Goopy so pissed” have the same answer, right?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno, there's so little to go on for Goops anger and so littel attention paid to Tessa's power thus far.

It COULD mean....something, I guess. Her mark is all the other team's marks overlaid. Her power is noted several times as being extremely OP and kind of offputtingly so (super powerful lasers AND healing powers and who knows what else), to the point yo ususpect a power as strong as that doesn't happen very often. And Goops IS interested in Tessa post-depowering.

But it could also be unrelated and I wouldn't be surprised. Goops is angry at a lot of things and seems to pull out vendettas against girls at the drop of the hat. So maybe she just sees an "in" to further mayhem and getting back at the gold girl.

e: Also I feel like gold girl would probably be more emotional at losing the connection with Tessa if her power was in some way really important

e2: I remember the last time I used them interchangable I confused people so fyi I consider the golden animal and the girl in white to basically be the same thing. So I usually go with "gold girl" as just shorthand.

rannum fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 23, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

Someone please combine :hmmyes: and :smith:.

For buying :hmmsmith:, however, I suggest waiting.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 23, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

For buying :hmmsmith:, however, I suggest waiting.
Quoting this so I can find it to buy it later, because I'm gonna be using it a lot in E/N.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I can’t be the only one who’s absolutely certain that “what’s up with Tessa’s weird symbol” and “why is Goopy so pissed” have the same answer, right?

Her symbol is pretty close to the alchemical symbol for arsenic, if there's any meaning to be drawn from that.

There's a bit of a running theory that Tessa somehow artifically got powers for herself after feeling left out when all of her friends had become magical girls as a complete thematic team together.

One interesting thing is that, when she was Alchemical Aether, the centre of her eyes was gold. Now while this was also true of Fire and Earth, it fit with their colour schemes, while it doesn't fit with Aether's pink; it's more similar to Kokoro's blue yes and Undine's pink glows now.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Her symbol is pretty close to the alchemical symbol for arsenic, if there's any meaning to be drawn from that.

There's a bit of a running theory that Tessa somehow artifically got powers for herself after feeling left out when all of her friends had become magical girls as a complete thematic team together.

One interesting thing is that, when she was Alchemical Aether, the centre of her eyes was gold. Now while this was also true of Fire and Earth, it fit with their colour schemes, while it doesn't fit with Aether's pink; it's more similar to Kokoro's blue yes and Undine's pink glows now.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-1-cover

I feel like Sally/Fire's irises are more weird than Aether's. Aether (& most of the squad, actually) at least has gold highlights throughout, but their primary eye color matches their outfit/power. Sally meanwhile has a thin red outline and then gold eyes/brown irises.

e: Ah looking at some later pages this might've just been an early art mistake, making the golds too bright on Sally. It's more "firey" yellow/red after the first chapter.

rannum fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

PMush Perfect posted:

This is a very well-made comic.

(Also, I just remembered the existence of Team Blitz. :allears:)

Looks like Steffi is in the background here: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-4-page-13

It's cool how Steffi's prosthetic leg turns into a magical leg in mahou form: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-5-page-7

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
One thing I did not catch on my original readthrough is that Rue’s dad is Reed Bahia from Kiwi Blitz :allears:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
New comic.

This comic is too cute.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's gonna be so much awkward dancing around not knowing how public each other want to be with their relationship, isn't there?

Also Undine actually managing to be the smoother one about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tenebrais posted:

There's gonna be so much awkward dancing around not knowing how public each other want to be with their relationship, isn't there?

I mean, she does use water so she can go with the flow better

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Chapter page says: Yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Ten thousand years ago an alt text on this comic said that HP is basically a large dog in human form and it hasn’t stopped being true.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

HP was pretty smooth when she asked about the official team-up, but now she's getting the yips.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I used to have a dog who would wag her tail so hard that her whole body moved with it. For some reason, I’m reminded of her again. :3:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I like that, judging by the whispers, literally everyone but HP and Undine can immediately tell what's going on.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I like that, judging by the whispers, literally everyone but HP and Undine can immediately tell what's going on.

[later]

Hey HP...is it true that.......you & undine........................are finally making a team together?!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

rannum posted:

[later]

Hey HP...is it true that.......you & undine........................are finally making a team together?!

One asking earnestly the other chump is asking while putting air quotes around team.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Twibbit posted:

One asking earnestly the other chump is asking while putting air quotes around team.
HP, who has never had a subtle moment in her life: "Yes."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sorta. Remember from what HPs manager said that the media has been running a will they won’t they angle for weeks now about Undine and HP and no one is sure if it’s a pity team up or a real thing. It’s an electric subject in the rumor mill.

These two chumpazoids just got the answer to a question that’s been on everybody’s mind first hand so they are probably deciding/gloating over which of them was right all along :v:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 27, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Honestly this is surprisingly good communication for a paira dinguses. The character's mental states are extremely readable and well communicated.

Panel 3&4 Kokoro: Trying to get a sense of where Undine's head is at on everything. Still a little paranoid about the dream.

Panel 6 Kokoro: Pretty wild. Is that good? BAD? DREAM REAL???

Panel 7: Unambiguous statement of feelings for anyone with context (pretty much just HP)

Not used to my magical girls being this competent not gonna lie.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Are you meaning to imply that Cassidy isn't totally okay?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Next comic:

Teacher: Sadly one of your classmates, Cassidy, has died.
Undine: Phew, that was a freebie!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Tenebrais posted:

Are you meaning to imply that Cassidy isn't totally okay?

I think that it's saying that Cassidy is 'dead to them' because of her actions, so they don't have to worry about how to deal with her when Undine sees her in second period, alive and healthy because she is definitely doing just fine.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Kennel posted:

Next comic:

Teacher: Sadly one of your classmates, Cassidy, has died.
Undine: Phew, that was a freebie!

"Ms. Wells, you were one of the last people to see her alive, you two had just had a fight, and you straight up killed that reporter."

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like no one is going to know anything about Cassidy for at least like...a day.
She didn't leave a body, her team didn't see her and no one saw her on patrol. I could also see magical girls not coming home after the barrier comes back being common enough that her parents (or the dorm? we dont know much about her family situation) dont think much about it until the day goes on and people still dont hear anything about Cassidy.

And even then it'll probably just be marked "missing" since the few deaths we've seen from monsters dont imply they'd just eat them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rannum posted:

I feel like no one is going to know anything about Cassidy for at least like...a day.
She didn't leave a body, her team didn't see her and no one saw her on patrol. I could also see magical girls not coming home after the barrier comes back being common enough that her parents (or the dorm? we dont know much about her family situation) dont think much about it until the day goes on and people still dont hear anything about Cassidy.

And even then it'll probably just be marked "missing" since the few deaths we've seen from monsters dont imply they'd just eat them.

Coming home a bit late is probably not rare, but not coming home at all without a phone call is probably cause for alarm. Girls might occasionally have reasons to stay over at a safety centre for the night but from what we've seen they're pretty dilligent about making sure their families know about it. Cassidy's parents have probably contacted the officials to ask after where she is, because this is gonna be a pretty terrifying scenario.

However since no one actually has evidence she even went out that night, it might well take the day or so just to rule out her being anywhere else.

I would assume a girl disappearing without leaving a body anywhere is probably close to unprecedented. We did see a monster nearly eat Kokoro back in chapter 9, but they don't seem to be biological in any way so I think it might have just mangled her body if it had managed it rather than, like, digest it in some way.

Oh boy, gets you wondering if a team has ever taken out a monster to discover it's a meat pinata.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
HPs need to be liked is consistently both funny and endearing.

I like how it contrasts with Undines personality. Undine is not at all bothered by people not liking her. But she does have this thing where she wants to keep the peace and help people. Where she doesn't want to be a bother. It's a subtly different mindset from HP, but they jive well together.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Permalink to the new page.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aww, it's cute that Undine is comfortable enough to tease her girlfriend.

Also Kokoro is still insecure about what strangers think of her!

In case anyone is lost to where this came from, here's some past pages:
Kokoro is insecure about people liking her
Zoe is awkward around strangers
Really awkward

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 3, 2020

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I forgot how strong that first panel was.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

aegof posted:

I forgot how strong that first panel was.

And by first panel you mean third, clearly.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Cassidy patting her head is adorable. Now I am sad again.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I appreciate how Kokoro's upset face is an upside-down heart.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If you reread the entire comic you will find that she does that a lot, even her cheery faces are hearts

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Third is adorable, but first is really artistically impressive perspective and composition.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Finally binged this comic: it good.

I don't have any theories besides Kokoro and Undine eventually having the team name Heartwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's clearly Die Hard