Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

repiv posted:

Tech sites get stuff wrong all the time sure, but Lenovo is the only hardware manufacturer I know of that has listed components which literally don't exist before

Fair enough. I propose a competition sir; if this is real and I'm right, I will eat a large slice of delicious chocolate cake. If the product is fake and you're right, I will eat yet another slice of delicious chocolate cake, but feel great shame while doing so.

This way I can have my cake, and eat it too. (plus yours)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

repiv posted:

I don't think the H77MA-G43 supports PCIe/NVMe booting, searching for info just turned up people trying to use weird BIOS mods to get it to work

I'd just get a SATA drive like the MX500 in your case

Cheers for looking injury that for me. I'll get that instead.

I'm still blown away by being able to get 1TB SSD.

If it wasn't for the hassle of reinstalling windows (and my rig being my home work machine at the moment due to covid) I'd replace that 250GB one too.

Although now I'm thinking I'm so out of touch with this poo poo that there's probably a one click windows 10 option to clone your full windows install onto another hard drive and switch to it seamlessly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Cheers for looking injury that for me. I'll get that instead.

I'm still blown away by being able to get 1TB SSD.

If it wasn't for the hassle of reinstalling windows (and my rig being my home work machine at the moment due to covid) I'd replace that 250GB one too.

Although now I'm thinking I'm so out of touch with this poo poo that there's probably a one click windows 10 option to clone your full windows install onto another hard drive and switch to it seamlessly.

You could just clone the drive and not deal with it :shrug:

Its just a drop in replacement at that point and the only thing it takes is maybe an hour to copy everything over.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah copying Windows from one drive to another is really easy, use this: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

(the free version is fine)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Cool, thanks for that.

I guess I'm of 2 minds about it though.

Like on the one hand 250GB has been more than enough for just windows and other programmes and having the smaller drive means I don't get into the habit of storing other stuff on it. Then I have to deal with recovering that if anything goes tits up with the drive.

On the other hand it's using up a SATA port and reducing my overall capacity.

SSDs are far more resilient and durable than plate drives from what I understand though so maybe that's just outdated thinking.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My nth spindrive is making clicking noises now, my early Samsung ssd has lasted without issues since I built this computer. When the big boy dies, I'm going pure SSD, no question.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

My nth spindrive is making clicking noises now,

I mean if its doing that it is as good as dead right now tbh.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

MarcusSA posted:

I mean if its doing that it is as good as dead right now tbh.

Oh I know. I've been slowly migrating stuff over to my other drives (essentials taken care of, of course), but I'm gonna use it 'til it keels.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone here play idle wizard? Is there any risk of making negative progress?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

The new machine was a Christmas gift from my dad, bought off a coworker that had gone all out to make a then-OTT gaming machine only to realize he didn't have the time to actually play anything on it (or something like that anyway). Despite being a gift I had to pony up half the $$$ since it was a fair bit of money. Unfortunately my dad is both the main tech head of the house and also crippled by ADHD like the rest of the family, so once the machine was set aside it stayed set aside. After all, my current machine wasn't literally on fire, so why worry about it? And he'd have to go through all the trouble of reading the manuals for the mobo and the case and get everything all set up nicely and that's such a hassle, y'know? And he had other poo poo on his workbench so imagine the sheer nightmare of having to move those things aside to make room. :effort: (To be a little teeny tiny bit fair, a bunch of life happened over those several years so it wasn't like there was literally zero excuse to put it off to an extent.)

Anyway, what he didn't actually explain to me until I had waited like 3 years for him to move his rear end was that the machine was actually 99% assembled already and he basically just needed to plug the loving thing in. :catstare:
Sounds like the lesson here is never pay your dad until you have whatever you're buying in your hands.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Man, the difference in UI user-friendliness between Crusader Kings 2 and 3 is colossal. It's like Excel spreadsheet vs actual game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Det_no posted:

Man, the difference in UI user-friendliness between Crusader Kings 2 and 3 is colossal. It's like Excel spreadsheet vs actual game.

Someone somewhere is mad about this and I don't need to see it but it sustains me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Orv posted:

Someone somewhere is mad about this and I don't need to see it but it sustains me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Orv posted:

The longest thread I can find in the Steam forums is HATE THE UI.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Det_no posted:

This is what will make me try this game (maybe), similarly with Dwarf Fortress. I'm not too fussed with graphical stuff, but UI is a gigantic difference

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zereth posted:

Sounds like the lesson here is never pay your dad until you have whatever you're buying in your hands.

The money went towards the hardware, not the labor of getting it working. So he didn't fail to deliver in that sense; we also live in the same house so I could go look at my inert box of electronics any time I liked. It's less about him being an rear end in a top hat by failing to live up to his end of a transaction and more him being an rear end in a top hat in a more general personal capacity.

(And yeah, I know legos for adults do it myself, but my life was also on and off on fire for the last couple years so I didn't exactly have the spoons to do it either. Though if I knew it was mostly down to moving some harddrives around and plugging some stuff in I would've...)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Det_no posted:

Orv posted:

On one hand, it''s good to hear that Crusader Kings 3 has a UI that's easier to use, which would be good for someone like me, who tried Crusader Kings 2, and got intimidated by the UI.

On the other hand, I've gotten quite a few of the DLCs for not just CK2, but also Europa Universalis IV through Humble Bundles. Now, though, there's a new iteration of Crusader Kings with a better UI, but will probably end up having tons of DLC for it down the road, and I still haven't learned CK2 or EUIV.

What I'm feeling is less anger, and more :negative:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has there ever been a proper spiritual successor to Star Fox 64?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I had some skepticism for CK3 to be worthwhile at release but so far it has been quite good, I'm sure 100+ hours in the cracks'll start showing better than they do now, but at the moment it's looking like their best initial release to date.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, if you can get a hundred hours out of it before any of those cracks do start showing, then it certainly was a solid investment anyway, so silver linings. The glitch thread has already has some funny events, such as - shock and horror! - the father of a character revealing to her that her sister is actually his daughter! Oh no!

It's no Roger a Muirebe, but it's nice to see that deep down, it's still the Crusader Kings everyone knows and loves.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has there ever been a proper spiritual successor to Star Fox 64?

This seems worth keeping an eye on.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MonkeyforaHead posted:

StarFox 64. It's a pretty bloody weird to make a knock-off twenty-seven years later and aim for the ugliest, most lambasted incarnation of the IP. The SNES version was ugly, I played it, this version is also ugly, but now in 60fps? geez.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Honestly, between flat shading and N64 textures I'm not sure which is worse. Obviously this is leaning heavily on the more retro aesthetic but there's only so many nominations one can have for a decent Star Fox-alike. :shrug:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Star Fox 64? Oh do you perhaps mean Lylat Wars, the sequel to the hit game Starwing

the European names for those games are very dumb

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've never played anything as good as Star Fox 64. A classic example of a game so perfect it killed its franchise.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MonkeyforaHead posted:

My disappointment in the aesthetic of this game is actually the reason why I came to make a post asking about a spiritual successor to Star Fox 64

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oh wow I guess Ultrakill surprise released today.

ULTRAKILL is a fast-paced ultraviolent old school FPS that fuses together classic shooters like Quake, modern shooters like Doom (2016) and character action games like Devil May Cry.

Mankind has gone extinct and the only beings left on earth are machines fueled by blood.
But now that blood is starting to run out on the surface...
Machines are racing to the depths of Hell in search of more.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hub Cat posted:

ULTRAKILL is a fast-paced ultraviolent old school FPS that fuses together classic shooters like Quake, modern shooters like Doom (2016) and character action games like Devil May Cry.

Mankind has gone extinct and the only beings left on earth are machines fueled by blood.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Waiting on a few reviews but if ULTRAKILL’s quality matches the DUSK / AMID EVIL branding that’s an easy purchase.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's a demo, might as well give it a shot in the meantime.

Man, that game sure gives the world "blood bath" a completely new meaning.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Iverron posted:

Waiting on a few reviews but if ULTRAKILL’s quality matches the DUSK / AMID EVIL branding that’s an easy purchase.

From the demo I played it's more of an arcadey score-attack game with much more straightforward, combat arena levels.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I cannot seem to update games, the message being something about INVALID DEPOT CONFIGURATION. Anyone has any idea what the hell this is about?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I cannot seem to update games, the message being something about INVALID DEPOT CONFIGURATION. Anyone has any idea what the hell this is about?
There are tons of speculated causes of that, but it's often a very persistent and deep-seated error. The only known reliable solution that I've ever been able to find is to basically uninstall and clean out your Steam folder as comprehensively as you can and then reinstall the client. Forcing a client update or entering and then leaving the public Steam beta might help, but no guarantees there.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 3, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

Try restarting steam, had the error just now with "invalid depo config" as I tried to download ultrakill

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

There are tons of speculated causes of that, but it's a very persistent and deep-seated error. The only known reliable solution that I've ever been able to find is to basically uninstall and clean out your Steam folder as comprehensively as you can and then reinstall the client. Forcing a client update or entering and then leaving the public Steam beta might help, but no guarantees there.
Oh fu-

haldolium posted:

Try restarting steam, had the error just now with "invalid depo config" as I tried to download ultrakill
Will do!

e: Restarting the computer seems to have done the trick.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 3, 2020

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just got no mans sky since now, 3 years after launch, people are saying it's a great game

What can I even expect of it? Is it all exploration or is there more to it?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just got no mans sky since now, 3 years after launch, people are saying it's a great game

It's basically Space Minecraft, but less charming. There's a sort of overarching plot to it, but it's kind of a nonentity. You randomly travel around a giant randomly generated galaxy and collect resources to construct things or sell for randomly generated ships and weapons, while visiting randomly generated points of interests and doing the occasional short quest. You can do things like buying a capital ship to travel around in style in and there are ways to do short multiplayer sessions with other players. By and large, it has a wide range of systems, but none of them are really all that deep or synergetic with each other. I last played the game around the Bioship Update and I think it's still pretty much bad, just not as bad as it used to be.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hub Cat posted:

maybe I need to try another day but nah, doesn't feel right. Like STRAFE but for different reasons.

IDK whats with these ultra fast PSX styled games. poo poo wasn't that fast generally back then. Just make a loving good FPS ffs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

its a space sim game, and probably the best one out currently given that star cit is fake and elite is a void of content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Collapsing Farts posted:

No Mans Sky is a very bad game.

generated planets will bore the poo poo out of you at least after the 3rd, its all the same, gameplay suffers by generated world design but even more by THE loving SAME iventory management horror that has been there from the beginning on.
It's a bad game you might enjoy for a few hours depending on your ideas of a fun time, but it generally still sucks because fundamental issues were never changed from release until today and the core concept is just flawed.