Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Dad loved to yell and scream the cruelest things that came to mind in a way that was worse than the hitting, and he kept that poo poo up even when he stopped getting physically violent (I hurt him very badly one night). He used to break stuff until I told him I was going to go to work on his stupid loving harley with a big hammer. I have mixed feelings about him because humans are stupid but I'm mostly glad he died. Trying to remember him fondly sucks way less than his actual poo poo company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the police threw my dad out of our house because he choked me so i never got the chance to beat his loving rear end

now i just dont let him see his granddaughter :smug:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
My dad/step mom, who I only saw ever few summers when I was a kid, the last summer custody visit was at age 14, not only did I get slapped in the face by my step mother, the only time I've ever been hit in the face by a parent, which she did because for zero reason she suddenly said to me "if you ever try and hurt your dad I'll kill you" because I had grown up since the last time they saw me and she was a nut case. Then my dad made me work with him at an autoshop all summer in loving houston, with the agreement of paying me, so at the end of the visit I asked him for the cash....he was drunk and started screaming at me and refused to pay...this was literally the only time i ever had a confrontation with my dad in my life due to very limited exposure. I got to my room crying, later one he comes in all sorry and gives me what ends up being enough money to buy a PS1, which I do. He himself then does not call or contact me until after I had graduated college. gently caress you dad, and I wish you were dead already, but also I really don't care because you mean very little.

The guy my mom married after my dad was a con artist and big in scientology, he fleeced my mom for a ton of money and even got alimony after the divorce, I think he's on his 8th marriage currently. He was a piece of poo poo and would scream in my face and pick me up in the air and poo poo, but never really hit me, mostly was just gone doing something shady.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 3, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean it sounds awful but i doubt i'll feel anything when my parents die

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My dad was a crackhead who beat the poo poo out of all of us until I was 8, when he tried to stab my mom in front of us kids, smashed windows and dishes, slashed the furniture, then took off and totalled his car and went to jail for a few months. My mom finally left him, but we were still obliged to visit him once a year. I finally cut him off in 1998 when I was 16. He's been trying to "rekindle our relationship" :laffo: this entire time, managing to contact me as recently as December. I don't know how the fucker is still alive but rumor has it it won't be for long.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

My dad was a crackhead who beat the poo poo out of all of us until I was 8, when he tried to stab my mom in front of us kids, smashed windows and dishes, slashed the furniture, then took off and totalled his car and went to jail for a few months. My mom finally left him, but we were still obliged to visit him once a year. I finally cut him off in 1998 when I was 16. He's been trying to "rekindle our relationship" :laffo: this entire time, managing to contact me as recently as December. I don't know how the fucker is still alive but rumor has it it won't be for long.

Omg are you my friend from highschool? This guy I knew stabbed his step-dad in the shoulder because he was high on crack and beating his mom, never got any charges for it, it was nuts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my mother tended more toward mild neglect than abuse but she still managed to completely forget all the spankings. it came up a couple years ago and she was completely amazed at even the thought of it. still, despite being fundamentally disinterested in us she at least did an adequate job. the weird part is, she had an all-consuming love for children that she dedicated her life to. just not, you know, her children. later in life this led to her being a surrogate grandma to many, which was fine because for obvious reasons none of my siblings or i have any interest in ever having kids of our own.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The irony is, while my father was a little abusive physically and a lot abusive emotionally/financially, he wanted to be around his kids. My mom had the maternal instincts of a sea turtle, so my good and bad childhood memories are mostly of my dad. At least until the drink got him.

It's remarkable how low the bar is to be a successful parent. You can be a grade A rear end in a top hat and most of the time your children will still love you and try to win your approval. Boomers like to act their broken relationships are sudden, unfair, and spurious decisions made by their children, but it takes real effort to break that parental bond.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Boomers were called the Me generation, how on earth did someone predict they would end up all terminally selfish assholes, was it just super evident by the 70's?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's remarkable how low the bar is to be a successful parent.

people are pretty inherently selfish and aren't willing to make their children their top priority for the 20 years it takes to raise them properly

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My dad could never really do anything without screwing it up. Mostly because he's insist on doing it "his way!" and then get absolutely insane with anger when something went wrong. Just to give you an example of how far off the handle he'd fly, one day he was frying an egg and the yolk broke. He threw the entire CAST IRON pan at the wall across the kitchen. yeah...that sounds like a rational person.

Anyway, he'd always want to go fishing and drag me along. God forbid you don't want to go as that somehow you meant you didn't love him or blah blah blah. So I'd have to get up at 5 fuckin AM to drive to some dumpy loving lake. We'd be fine for an hour but then he's loose a lure or the fish wouldn't bite or another boat would produce too much wake or what the gently caress ever. It would always get him going which means he'd turn on me as I was the only other person near him. He's ask loaded questions that always ended up with me giving the "wrong" answer and him laying into me verbally. Keep in mind I'm in the middle of a lake, 2 miles from the nearest dock so what the hell could I do?

Fishing is not fun for me at all now. In fact I look at it as busy work or an obligation rather than just a reason to sit on the dock and drink beer.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I really loved how my dad would periodically take me to go do something fun like tobogganing or flying a kite and like 40% of the time he would lose his temper and start being really passive aggressive and lovely about it and maybe another 10% of the time he would resort to yelling over minor inconveniences that wouldn't bother a 7-year-old kid

Wait, no I didn't. I didn't enjoy that at all

Boomers also love to ignore their children's immediate medical crisises so they can go smoke in bed in front of cable TV for nearly a week and then act surprised when their kid ends up with a physical disability that makes it all but impossible to support themselves in this economy after barely surviving a fairly common ailment that would have been dealt with swiftly had they bothered to prioritize their kid's health over their own filthy loving habit

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

people are pretty inherently selfish and aren't willing to make their children their top priority for the 20 years it takes to raise them properly

Yeah, but it's not like the Greatest Generation spent a whole lot of time on that whole 'parenting' thing. Nowadays it's pretty common for parents to have little to no life outside of their kids, but that's a relatively recent thing. I know about 90% of my adult non-business social interactions were dependent on whatever sport my kids were playing at that particular time of year.

You just had to not actively hurt your children. You could ignore them like my grandpa did and they would still love you. Boomers would go out of their way to kick you instead.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Tighclops posted:

Boomers also love to ignore their children's immediate medical crisises so they can go smoke in bed in front of cable TV for nearly a week and then act surprised when their kid ends up with a physical disability that makes it all but impossible to support themselves in this economy after barely surviving a fairly common ailment that would have been dealt with swiftly had they bothered to prioritize their kid's health over their own filthy loving habit

Gonna need some more info on this.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

To be fair to an older generations way of thinking, I don't think there's a child whose lived who hasn't deserved getting smacked at least once. When I was like five or six, my grandfather asked me to pass him something and I was being a little poo poo, and gawddamn he smacked the poo poo out of me. After that, when grandpa asks nicely, you gave him what he asked for. My own parents never beat me thankfully, but I know grandpa beat my father, and all that managed to accomplish was to make my father a deadbeat teenager who knocked up an older woman and joined the military to pay the child support.

I've kind of come around to the realization that physical violence is often the easiest method of getting whatever message across. It's also a super lazy way to parent. Instead of teaching your kids that no, you don't steal candy bars because theft is inherently immoral, what you're instead teaching them by beating the poo poo out of them is that theft is fine, you just got caught doing it. Even the best intentioned parents will, in some way, gently caress up their children. The hope is that age and wisdom can repair the damage after the fact.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

dev null posted:

Also curious.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Last weekend, the wife and I were out for a nice socially distant drive around the state. Approaching one of our favorite towns, we called up a local pizza joint that we love supporting. It's one of those places that even if you call in advance you, gotta wait for your food. 20 min out of city, we call in the order and the ETA is 45 - 60 min. So we get into town, walk the dog and kill some time, and then we get to the pizza place and read the signs posted. Due to the tiny size of the place, and thanks to covid, the shop asked only one customer at a time in the shop, regardless of pickup or order. Theres two of these signs posted, one above the doorway and the other between the open windows. This is how the place looks:

Theres a nice healthy line of people in masks, standing about 6 - 7 feet apart and going down the sidewalk. Wife and I start chatting with others in line and find out each of us have already ordered and we are just waiting to pick up.

Enter this boomer w/o a mask who first tried to push his way inside and was not let in because the person there passively blocked the entrance. This frustrated the boomer. So he goes and stands out by the window, and starts shouting at the staff inside that he is here to pick up his order. The staff ignore him for a good 3 - 4 minutes and the boomer storms off in a huff. Meanwhile, us in line are slowly working our way up to the front to inside. 10 minutes later, boomer returns. Sure enough, he passes all the people in line and goes back to the window to shout at the staff again that he needs his pizza. Staff again ignore him and continue working with the person inside. As soon as the person leaves, boomer then pushes his way through, in front of myself and others who have been waiting, telling us "he just needs to get his pizza, it will be one second".

gently caress you, you old stupid rear end in a top hat. gently caress you for not wearing a mask, spreading your poo poo everywhere, and cutting in front of people who have been waiting longer. It really sums up this whole country where the elderly think they are above all rules and everyone else needs to make accommodations for them. Everyone else is doing their best to follow the rules, during this pandemic and you just run around with no worries. Die.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Solar Coaster posted:

Last weekend, the wife and I were out for a nice socially distant drive around the state. Approaching one of our favorite towns, we called up a local pizza joint that we love supporting. It's one of those places that even if you call in advance you, gotta wait for your food. 20 min out of city, we call in the order and the ETA is 45 - 60 min. So we get into town, walk the dog and kill some time, and then we get to the pizza place and read the signs posted. Due to the tiny size of the place, and thanks to covid, the shop asked only one customer at a time in the shop, regardless of pickup or order. Theres two of these signs posted, one above the doorway and the other between the open windows. This is how the place looks:

Theres a nice healthy line of people in masks, standing about 6 - 7 feet apart and going down the sidewalk. Wife and I start chatting with others in line and find out each of us have already ordered and we are just waiting to pick up.

Enter this boomer w/o a mask who first tried to push his way inside and was not let in because the person there passively blocked the entrance. This frustrated the boomer. So he goes and stands out by the window, and starts shouting at the staff inside that he is here to pick up his order. The staff ignore him for a good 3 - 4 minutes and the boomer storms off in a huff. Meanwhile, us in line are slowly working our way up to the front to inside. 10 minutes later, boomer returns. Sure enough, he passes all the people in line and goes back to the window to shout at the staff again that he needs his pizza. Staff again ignore him and continue working with the person inside. As soon as the person leaves, boomer then pushes his way through, in front of myself and others who have been waiting, telling us "he just needs to get his pizza, it will be one second".

gently caress you, you old stupid rear end in a top hat. gently caress you for not wearing a mask, spreading your poo poo everywhere, and cutting in front of people who have been waiting longer. It really sums up this whole country where the elderly think they are above all rules and everyone else needs to make accommodations for them. Everyone else is doing their best to follow the rules, during this pandemic and you just run around with no worries. Die.

That's when you pizza-slap that mofo.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

A White Guy posted:

To be fair to an older generations way of thinking, I don't think there's a child whose lived who hasn't deserved getting smacked at least once.

This loving sucks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

boar guy posted:

This is part of why I have chosen to not have children. They're also just unaffordable in TYOOL 2020

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Wow, I could make my own post just quoting bits and snippets from this page and last. My dad was a yeller and my mom was the emotionally distant “sea turtle.” My dad had to do things “his way” and took me on crappy fishing trips where he’d suddenly turn on me out of nowhere.

One of my earliest memories is when I was three and my dad was making eggs. Up to this point he’d always fried them so that there was the white part and the yolk, and he said the yolk was “yucky” so he would eat it. (Boomers love eating egg yolks right off their toddlers’ plates.) Well, this time he was making scrambled eggs for me for the first time, so he serves me up a plate of what looks to me like nothing but egg yolk, and 3-year-old me is like, “this is yucky,” cuz he taught me the yellow part was “yucky,” - his exact word that he taught me.

In one swift motion he launches the plate across the room, where it hits the wall and the plate and the eggs just explode everywhere. I remember him screaming in my face, but don’t remember the words.

...and that’s the earliest memory of my dad. There’s a lifetime more, but long story short, I haven’t talked to him in 12 years and last I heard he had a tracheotomy, later collapsed alone at home, was at one point in a nursing home because he broke his arm when he collapsed, and for all I know may still be there. He’s had multiple bankruptcies and none of his brothers or sisters talk to him anymore, either, so I bet it’s a real lovely and abusive nursing home and I couldn’t care less.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

That's when you pizza-slap that mofo.

Seriously, I've recently discovered that boomers, especially when in a retail setting are used to not getting pushback. Push back, call him a loving rear end in a top hat next time.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Chomp8645 posted:

That "BOING - PLOP" you just heard was the sound of my monocle popping off and clattering to the floor after I learned that the airmen operating these new fangled horseless sky-carriages are considered member of the middle class at minimum.
Helicopter air ambulance pilot starts around $65,000.

So, not great but not bad.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LifeSunDeath posted:

Boomers were called the Me generation, how on earth did someone predict they would end up all terminally selfish assholes, was it just super evident by the 70's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZ-CpINiqg

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

A White Guy posted:

To be fair to an older generations way of thinking, I don't think there's a child whose lived who hasn't deserved getting smacked at least once. When I was like five or six, my grandfather asked me to pass him something and I was being a little poo poo, and gawddamn he smacked the poo poo out of me. After that, when grandpa asks nicely, you gave him what he asked for. My own parents never beat me thankfully, but I know grandpa beat my father, and all that managed to accomplish was to make my father a deadbeat teenager who knocked up an older woman and joined the military to pay the child support.

I've kind of come around to the realization that physical violence is often the easiest method of getting whatever message across. It's also a super lazy way to parent. Instead of teaching your kids that no, you don't steal candy bars because theft is inherently immoral, what you're instead teaching them by beating the poo poo out of them is that theft is fine, you just got caught doing it. Even the best intentioned parents will, in some way, gently caress up their children. The hope is that age and wisdom can repair the damage after the fact.

You literally just wrote, “Sometimes kids deserve to get hit. For example, one time I wasn’t sufficiently servile when handing something to my grandfather, so he hit me. I had that coming.”

That doesn’t illustrate the point you think it illustrates.

Also, it’s not “asking nicely” if it’s backed by the threat of violence.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

dev null posted:

My appendix burst when I was a teenager, my parents yelled "what do you expect me to do about it?" and stomped off upstairs to go smoke the night it happened when I had the nerve to complain about the pain. They then ignored hours of my screaming due to the worst pain I'd ever experienced only punctuated by silence when I would pass out followed by several days worth of my stumbling around delirious and crapping out pitch black poo poo while being unable to eat anything.

Finally they took me to a walk in clinic, where the doctor immediately told them to get my dying rear end to the ER. I crashed after my first surgery due to sepsis as by this point my appendix had fully burst open inside me and I wound up in the ICU for a while. I spent a month in the hospital recovering after some more surgery and got to go home just before my 17th birthday, but afterwards nothing really worked right. For years since then I've been forced to spend most of my days stuck on the toilet struggling to poo poo properly, and even when that works there's always a lot of pain associated with that (and digesting food, and bending over, and walking.) I have to be super careful about what time and what kind of food I eat or these issues become exasperated. I'm lucky enough to maintain a part time job at a grocery store around the corner from my parents' house by working nights and with the support of my doctor I've qualified for some disability tax credits but it's not much.

This is on top of a mountain of emotional abuse. My parents still act like I owe them a favour.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
😳

drat, I'm sorry. That's terrible.

I'm surprised no one called authorities.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Tighclops posted:

I was playing with the kids in church one day and I got pushed down and my wrist caught all my weight and broke. A hairline fracture but it hurt like hell. For 3 days my parents told me to suck it up and that I was just making a big deal about it. My mom took me to the doctor on day 4 because I also had a cold. The doctor goes, "Anything else?" and mom was like, "He thinks he broke his wrist :eyeroll:" . The doctor barley touches me, I jump 10 feet and he says, "He's right. Take him to the ER now for X-rays".

We left the hospital and went straight to Toy R Us (her idea) after that I my mom was never that lovely to me again about medical stuff.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Helicopter air ambulance pilot starts around $65,000.

So, not great but not bad.

Wouldn't matter my yearly rate, the second I was given command of a chopper, no one could stop me, or my plans.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
Jeez all these posts make me super appreciative of my not actively awful boomer parents. I can't imagine how resilient you have to be to make it through those kinds of childhood and into adulthood.

The only times I can remember my dad isolating me to get angry with me was in the fall when we would go to close up my grandparents cabin for the winter. Once I got to middle school and my grades started to nosedive it would happen without fail on our 4 hour drive home that he'd pull my mid-semester progress report out and lay into me about how doing the bare minimum would get better scores than I got and I must be actively trying to gently caress up to do that badly.

TBF he was right, my grades were abysmal and I put zero effort into school once I fell behind to a certain point. I also know that he always did it on our trips to open and close the cabin because then it could be done in private away from my mother who would lose her poo poo if she saw anything less than a B let alone the grades I was getting.

She'd still see those grades when final report cards came out but at least I'd only have to deal with it then, instead of then plus mid-semester. So I think my dad was actively trying to spare me from the two full blown tirades from my mother that he was able to.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

They were paddling people in school when i was a kid, all the way till middleschool. The creepy vice principal was this fat piece of poo poo and he had a loving paddle hanging in his office...that's some straight up boomer pedo poo poo that became systemic in schools but mostly phased out now.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Andos El Pantos posted:

Jeez all these posts make me super appreciative of my not actively awful boomer parents. I can't imagine how resilient you have to be to make it through those kinds of childhood and into adulthood.

The only times I can remember my dad isolating me to get angry with me was in the fall when we would go to close up my grandparents cabin for the winter. Once I got to middle school and my grades started to nosedive it would happen without fail on our 4 hour drive home that he'd pull my mid-semester progress report out and lay into me about how doing the bare minimum would get better scores than I got and I must be actively trying to gently caress up to do that badly.

TBF he was right, my grades were abysmal and I put zero effort into school once I fell behind to a certain point. I also know that he always did it on our trips to open and close the cabin because then it could be done in private away from my mother who would lose her poo poo if she saw anything less than a B let alone the grades I was getting.

She'd still see those grades when final report cards came out but at least I'd only have to deal with it then, instead of then plus mid-semester. So I think my dad was actively trying to spare me from the two full blown tirades from my mother that he was able to.

I really didn't start to "recover" until my father died and I realized he could no longer control me. I could start to be my own person without having to answer to anyone. Because of him I never wanted kids as I was afraid I would just do to them what they did to me. It took almost having my wife divorce me to see that I was just mirroring what I saw him do growing up, just with no violence or yelling. What started as couples therapy ended up with me in (and still in) psychotherapy where I finally found out why I felt like poo poo for most of my life. Funny how 20+ years of drinking also stopped around the same time.

The grades thing happened to me too but I think it also the school system, taught and run by boomers. I was told I could not "pay attention" which seems to be teacher slang for "He can learn but we have no idea how to teach him as we can only use lessons from this state supplied curriculum so he's the next teacher's problem now". Also I was being emotionally and psychologically abused at home so that was a factor.

Fun Dad Fact: He was convinced I was going to fail high school so he signed me up for that Sylvan learning Center or whatever which was supposed to help me study better. All they did was waste time and try to teach you time management with "day timers" and was staffed by teachers who were trying to score extra cash and could give a poo poo why you were there. One day while I was attending a session there, he came home from work and took the family dog to the vet to be put down. The dog was old and aggressive but loving hell. I come home, all worried because my dog is missing only to have dad call me from the vet's office to tell what he did. He was crying but I was speechless and that still hurts to this day.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 3, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

They were paddling people in school when i was a kid, all the way till middleschool. The creepy vice principal was this fat piece of poo poo and he had a loving paddle hanging in his office...that's some straight up boomer pedo poo poo that became systemic in schools but mostly phased out now.

Paddling is still legal in some states, I"m pretty sure, unsurprisingly, that Kentucky is one of them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You literally just wrote, “Sometimes kids deserve to get hit. For example, one time I wasn’t sufficiently servile when handing something to my grandfather, so he hit me. I had that coming.”

That doesn’t illustrate the point you think it illustrates.

Also, it’s not “asking nicely” if it’s backed by the threat of violence.

yeah might makes right isnt a good lesson to come from a parent

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Paddling is still legal in some states, I"m pretty sure, unsurprisingly, that Kentucky is one of them.

heh, I went to school in Kentucky

When I was in middle school your parents could write a note that was basically, "You have permissions to paddle my child". I watch a grown woman threaten to paddle a 14 year old girl and her words were, " I don't give a poo poo if your mom didn't write a note I'm going to paddle the hell out of you".

Another teacher was famous for paddling 8th grade girls and no one was shocked when he was arrested 10 years later for statutory rape and possession of child porn.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

I got paddled at school back in the late 90s. Went to a christian private school despite not being religious. Boomer parents thought private school = better than public school. I was constantly in trouble with the school because I refused to follow their nit picky bullshit rules. Like wearing sneakers instead of dress shoes to the weekly church service because I had PE next afterwards. I was also bullied alot when I was growing up. One of those times, I stood up to the bully and was sent to the vice principles office where he too had a paddle. He called my parents and I remember him asking permission to paddle since he knew it was wrong. To which my parents gave him permission and he beat me 6 times with the paddle before putting it away.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Bonzo posted:

One day while I was attending a session there, he came home from work and took the family dog to the vet to be put down. The dog was old and aggressive but loving hell. I come home, all worried because my dog is missing only to have dad call me from the vet's office to tell what he did. He was crying but I was speechless and that still hurts to this day.

Ah so your parents also randomly killed animals they couldn’t discipline? :same: I’ve lost count of how many dogs my parents had destroyed by vets because they couldn’t be hosed with even attempting to train them not to do stupid dog poo poo like pulling at people’s trouser legs.
Or peeing indoors.
Or not pulling on the lead when they were (rarely) taken out for walks.
Or they just got too big. You know that dogs can grow, right? My dumb-as-a-glass-of-loving-water mother didn’t know.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Bonzo posted:

heh, I went to school in Kentucky

When I was in middle school your parents could write a note that was basically, "You have permissions to paddle my child". I watch a grown woman threaten to paddle a 14 year old girl and her words were, " I don't give a poo poo if your mom didn't write a note I'm going to paddle the hell out of you".

Another teacher was famous for paddling 8th grade girls and no one was shocked when he was arrested 10 years later for statutory rape and possession of child porn.

I'm not a boomer, but in internet terms I'm old as hell, and my school still had cupboards with child-beating implements hung in them including leather straps and wooden paddles with holes in them. I remember my best friend when we were around 6 or 7 getting her head shoved in a bucket by a teacher and told if she thought 'gently caress' was appropriate language she should just eat garbage (she was the daughter of Lithuanian political refugees and her English wasn't great). She told the teacher to 'eat my dick' and that's loving awesome at that age. I remember later on in school, maybe mid-80's, I had an awesome biology teacher who found the cupboard of implements and bought them out to show us 'What made us the most deranged and dangerous generation this planet has ever seen'. From a biological point of view he argued that his generation had killed more species than any other, but he hoped that the new and improved generations would improve on the boomers record (and I guess we did). And yes, there were at least 2 statutory rapists in the school while I was there. Probably more. They tried to cover it all up but I ended up working as an intern in the law firm that represented the school, in the archive department where I had access to all the records and I learned exactly who hosed who, who had been arrested for what, and it was a giant eye-opener (our very very christian boomer headmaster was arrested for sexual misconduct in a public phone booth lol)

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

A White Guy posted:

To be fair to an older generations way of thinking, I don't think there's a child whose lived who hasn't deserved getting smacked at least once.

gently caress you

E: being fair nothing. gently caress you gently caress them

Agrinja fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

PooInAnAlleyway posted:

Ah so your parents also randomly killed animals they couldn’t discipline? :same: I’ve lost count of how many dogs my parents had destroyed by vets because they couldn’t be hosed with even attempting to train them not to do stupid dog poo poo like pulling at people’s trouser legs.
Or peeing indoors.
Or not pulling on the lead when they were (rarely) taken out for walks.
Or they just got too big. You know that dogs can grow, right? My dumb-as-a-glass-of-loving-water mother didn’t know.

We had three dogs growing up.

Dog #1. "Oh I guess someone must have opened the garage, opened the car door and took him. Oh well"
Dog #2. "I know this beagle is trained to be hunting dog but he should be ok as a pet"
Narrator: He wasn't
Dog #3: see above.

He also abused and played rough with dogs 2 and 3 so you figure out why they were aggressive. Also we never asked for any of these, he would just randomly bring a dog home and as soon as it got too much to handle, that was that.

The last time he visited me before he died, he was so amazed my two dogs were so loving and obedient. "Wow! we never had $DOG like that when you were little!"
Yeah because no one is beating them and making them sleep under a bush in the winter.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 3, 2020