Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

So what's the best way to deal with Partition? If I matrilineally marry off my youngest sons to bumfuck, fucksville, will this just result in them coming back as the wrong House running my provinces? The other option seems to be disinheriting them?

I'm almost at high succession law so not far off Primogeniture, although people seem to really like Elective Monarchy?
don't matrineally marry your sons. that won't keep them out of inheritance. disinheriting is a possibility. another is to focus your buildings and investment on your capital holding to give your primary heir a leg up.

Lobstertainment posted:

So I just had this happen. Declared war on Scotland as Ireland, defeat their main army and siege a city. Their survivors sail to my capital and besiege it, I sail all the way back and beat them again. Sail back to Scotland, resume my siege, the survivors besiege my capital again! I sail back, beat them again, they sail off somewhere.

So I sail back, again, to Scotland, win the original siege, warscore is +23%, I move to the next province. They besiege my capital again...... So I think screw it, keep going lad. They take my capital, - 100% I lose the war lol.

What could I have done better / differently?.
try chasing enemy armies down after they retreat. if you have enough troops you can detach some for siege and use the rest to follow. the new fort attrition system can hinder this however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Communist Thoughts posted:

is there a ledger anywhere i can check my strength ranking?

Not exactly. Search for characters, show all (or landed), sort by military power and compare yourself to #2.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Qubee posted:

Will I eventually get to the point in this game where I'm experienced enough to be setting up marriages and doing a bunch of fancy poo poo without it taking up 90% of my conscious brain power? Cause right now I gotta focus so hard on making the right decisions, and even then I never know if it's the smart move. I want to play Ironman mode just because the thrill of knowing you've only got one shot at making it work will add a tonne of fun to the game, but I'm definitely not at that stage, cause my fuckups are innumerable. I may have disinherited my heir and executed my youngest son as an old man, to pave the way for my chosen son.

Yes, absolutely! I was at that point in the beginning of Crusader Kings II, and ended up making so many self-owns because there are so many variables and so many differing strategies. Over the years I played for uh....*checks* 2,000 hours :stare:...and things like marriages, alliances, and when to wage war became second nature, and I can do them pretty fast and effectively.

If you don't mind being in a "welp, that failed, lol was it minor or catastrophic, let's try again" mindset, some of the best stories can come out of when you're learning the game. In my early learning from decisions that resulted in non-optimal strategies, I did things like:
Prolonged a defensive holy war from Muslims to distract from the fact I was castrating all five of my sons at once. Unnecessarily, as it turned out.
Accidentally got myself elected as King when I was just trying a game where I was trying to just be a nice guy who was focusing on my family and Duchy.
Had murder plots flying back and forth everywhere between me, my ambitious daughter, and her kids, because one of her kids inheriting would result in a game over and my dumb trusting son had no idea why his carriages kept going over ravines and poisonous snakes kept ending up in his bed.

Some later game self-owns that came from more advanced strategies were:
Having Mecca convert to Judiaism the month my Muslim ruler went on his holy pilgrimage. (my fault)
Ignoring the 9th time my paranoid ruler wanted to send spies to see if the child was actually his, because it's been 8 children you've wasted money on, Robert, do you really think it's going to come back as not yours this time? Long story short, it was not his child, and he ended up realizing he was gay and turned celibate.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm new to the CK series (just couldn't get into 2) but not Paradox games (played a shitload of Europa 2/3/4, Imperator, HOI 2/4). Is there a guide for Paradox veterans that breaks down the CK-specific mechanics and strategies? Kinda overwhelmed by all the character stuff and families and titles, and how I want to organize and optimize all that stuff.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Zane posted:

try chasing enemy armies down after they retreat. if you have enough troops you can detach some for siege and use the rest to follow. the new fort attrition system can hinder this however.

I'll definitely do this next time, I didn't even know I could. I need to click more buttons on the ui to see what they do.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Lobstertainment posted:

So I just had this happen. Declared war on Scotland as Ireland, defeat their main army and siege a city. Their survivors sail to my capital and besiege it, I sail all the way back and beat them again. Sail back to Scotland, resume my siege, the survivors besiege my capital again! I sail back, beat them again, they sail off somewhere.

So I sail back, again, to Scotland, win the original siege, warscore is +23%, I move to the next province. They besiege my capital again...... So I think screw it, keep going lad. They take my capital, - 100% I lose the war lol.

What could I have done better / differently?.

Also, if they got to 100% from your capital alone they probably got lucky and took you hostage.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
drat it sucks being under a weak liege because they get war declared on constantly and then massive armies run around and siege down my territory without me being able to do anything about it. And every time they siege down my capital it costs a fortune in ransom money. Next time I will try to be a vassal of West Francia instead of Lotharingia.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
Is there any viable way to find new candidates for my court? I'm running out of people to make into councillors after I lost a few and the only options I see in decision are to invite champions or a physician. I've looked at the character finder but no-one will ever accept an invite to court (and I can't even filter it by people who might).

Any advice would be wonderful thank you!

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I would like it if not having a court physician wasnt hidden in the Issues button. Also maybe a popup about your child being old enough to select an education for them would be nice.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

The actual best CKIII mod is this one.

I installed this, then forgot about it.

Then 'bardic/taverncore final countdown' started playing as I was in a clusterfuck war with denmark, sweden, and finland. :allears:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
It's hard to do targeted invites, especially compared to CK2 were almost anyone would happily uproot their life to come live in your court in the middle of nowhere as long as your religion was on their cool list.

You do get guests to your court that you can invite, but that's very random. You can have your spymaster find secrets in a populated foreign court and blackmail courtiers over to you; this also works for finding concubines if you want to be a medieval Weinstein. You can also go to war, imprison people and then recruit them from prison.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

It definitely seems a lot more likely for you to be taken hostage when your capital gets sieged in ck3 as opposed to 2. Both rulers I've played so far have been killed in their prime by peasant revolts spawning on my capital and sieging it while I was fighting a war elsewhere

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HALP. I have forgotten how I declare war, and I can't find the right button anywhere.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lord Mune, can you congratulate the artists who did the oil-painting-like load screens? They're gorgeous.

Agreed, my only complaint is that there are only 5 of them right now, but each one is quality.

If you want to look at them outside of the game or turn them into a wallpaper: Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings III\game\gfx\interface\illustrations\loading_screens

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Continually distracted doing work today because I keep on thinking about avenues of expansion and how I'm gonna handle succession :allears:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Figured out. You have to raise armies *after* declaring war.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Man with all the new features and event's I really can't wait until they release a custom ruler DLC

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Tythas posted:

Man with all the new features and event's I really can't wait until they release a custom ruler DLC

It won't be DLC, confirmed as a free update whenever it hits.
I'm also looking forwards to being able to edit dynastic emblems, customize title color/names etc.

A lot of kingdoms and etc are pretty similar colours to me, and I wish I could make mine stick out a tiny bit more.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I know :xcom: but these 95% secrecy plots seem to get discovered a lot more than 5% of the time. I wonder if it calculates per tick

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lmao the adamites go around naked

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/vVZ0LWh.png

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

HALP. I have forgotten how I declare war, and I can't find the right button anywhere.

Right click the guy you want to declare war on. It's at the top.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The only UI thing that's regularly bothering me is the unfurling scroll at the top center of the screen, and which you can't click off, covers up the action items

That one bugs me too but what I hate more is that the battle outcome window is always on top, even above event windows, so you have to close it before you can interact with events.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Assassinated bishop counter has reached 25. gently caress these guys and their 10 learning.

Moldy Sausage
Oct 5, 2004
Where am I going?

Xerophyte posted:

Mary or betroth one of your kids to the kids of some strong ruler nearby -- a William or Harald or that sort -- to ally them. Have them help you beat up Scotland. Calling an ally into an offensive war costs 150 prestige but it lets you punch above your weight.

In CK3, much like in real life, it helps to think of your children as heir, spare and random alliance currency. Note that marrying off your kids to the Prince of France means that in two generations the King of France might be your very Ambitious cousin that has claims on all your stuff and twice your army, but that is a problem for Future You and you don't care about that jerk.

Thanks for this advice. I was able to set up an alliance with Sweden and together with some mercs we won the war and even captured the king of Scotland. Since the war was almost won anyway I took the opportunity to execute the king, hoping to sow some chaos in the Scotland. I hope they enjoy being ruled by a three year old.

It seems like a lot of effort just to take a single county though. Especially since I have to wait for the truce to end to even try to take a second one. Is there really no way to press multiple claims at once? Any feedback on what should do/should have done would be appreciated; it can be hard to tell sometimes if you're doing the right thing or just making things harder on yourself. Will Scotland be hampered by its new baby king or did I just throw away a valuable hostage for no reason?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know :xcom: but these 95% secrecy plots seem to get discovered a lot more than 5% of the time. I wonder if it calculates per tick

I'm more salty about how I lost 4 75% chance skill challenges in a row (one of the martial lifestyle things where some old strategist trains you), and then when I quit and played as someone else, I immediately lost 3 80% sways in a row (I just want this priest to give me some goddamn troops). The RNG really hated me last night.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dang, I'm surprised at some of the mods that are already out there. There's a mod that readds the Imperial government type from CK2 and another that converts the game to the Bronze Age.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Moldy Sausage posted:

Thanks for this advice. I was able to set up an alliance with Sweden and together with some mercs we won the war and even captured the king of Scotland. Since the war was almost won anyway I took the opportunity to execute the king, hoping to sow some chaos in the Scotland. I hope they enjoy being ruled by a six year old.

It seems like a lot of effort just to take a single county though. Especially since I have to wait for the truce to end to even try to take a second one. Is there really no way to press multiple claims at once? Any feedback on what should do/should have done would be appreciated; it can be hard to tell sometimes if you're doing the right thing or just making things harder on yourself. Will Scotland be hampered by its new baby king or did I just throw away a valuable hostage for no reason?

Capturing the king usually gives you a flat 100% war score. His release would be part of the peace deal, so you wouldn't have been able to keep him around.

Having a kid on the throne wouldn't make anything better for them, but has all the possibility of making things worse. Short reign, child ruler, etc. maluses will all stack up. Maybe the vassals won't do anything about it, but if there are a few powerful ambitious rulers under him, they might take the opportunity.

Depending on their laws, causing a succession also can split up large kingdoms, or large dukes, if they have to distribute titles between all of the eligible children.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

can you mod the game pass version or is it steam only?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is it not worth it at all to create another kingdom title until you have primogeniture, or does having high partition keep all Kingdom titles with your heir?

Mostly asking because I have the later and am thinking of starting to chew through Scotland because it’s owned by the King of Jerusalem right now.

Also the King of Jerusalem is my very distant cousin and tried to get my land before I curb stomped him, so gently caress him.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Dang, I'm surprised at some of the mods that are already out there. There's a mod that readds the Imperial government type from CK2 and another that converts the game to the Bronze Age.

Yeah, they gave a couple modders access to the game a while before release.
But yeah, the Bronze age and the Vampire ones seem both to be pretty drat comprehensive, and a great pointer for how insane modding for this game is going to become once people start going all in on modding it.
The vampire one apparently slaps in a ton of new lifestyles too, so it really seems like a lot of the systems in the game are a lot easier to work with now.

queeb posted:

can you mod the game pass version or is it steam only?

You can, you just have to grab the mods manually, so you're relying on them having a current version up on the forums or something like that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah unifying Spain is gonna be a toughie until Primogeniture.

On a related note, does anyone know if they kept the feature where some titles change names depending on culture and religion? Would be cool to be a nice dark green Al-Andalus instead of bright yellow Hispania. Kinda like how you could be Prydain in CK2.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I've been enjoying this so far, features like the new life paths and knights that act as heavy units is really quite fun. And I'm amazed at how nice everything looks and how decently it runs on my 7+ year-old laptop. But I do miss some of the fine tuning options that used to be available (minor court titles, the ability to raise only retinues, or only levies from particular vassals) and it's not without a little jank: I've been trying out Norway in 1066 and, despite having Tostig built in to their CB against England, the guy is hanging out in Devon instead of at Harald's court!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Okay, how do I change my lifestyle focus again?

By far, the thing I trip over the most is that when I select a character as guardian/marriage partner/invite to court, I do it by selecting the box to the right of their face, rather than by selecting their face.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My Naples game went down in flames finally, with my last Countess getting her titles revoked by the Byzantine Emperor because she just couldn't stop cheating on her husband. I'm going to try India out next - it looks like every branch of Hinduism is just okay with homosexuality? That's kinda neat

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

My armies suck poo poo. Nearly lost wars from getting wiped by armies 2/3 my size. Guess I should've been investing more in my Men-At-Arms. Nice that it doesn't seem to be as much of a numbers game as CK2.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I made the mistake of sending a spymaster with 15 intrigue to the court of the holy roman empire looking for secrets. Now I have three pages of documented affairs and I can't do anything with them because my ruler stresses the gently caress out whenever I blackmail someone.

But it's so profitable!! :negative:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's been the most successful men-at-arms combos people have found? I've been messing around with it a little but not sure I've found a winning combo just yet.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So things got off to a much better start this time, and Björn Ironside is king of Sweden, Norway, Denmark and England, and I'm pretty sure with my current armies I could easily mop up the remaining duchies in the British Isles. Not pictured: some random counties in the Iberian Peninsula I don't have any idea why I've got, some vassal must've inherited them.

The only problem is, Björn is almost 70 years old and could die at any moment, and I'm worried about what's going to happen to the succession. Literally everyone loves the poo poo out of Björn and his 26 diplomacy, but that's not going to be the case for his heir. All the kingdoms are going to end up going to different children, some of which are wee babs (the king keeps, allegedly, producing more of them). What's the best way of making sure this doesn't implode in a hilarious pile of jarls all deciding the best time to assassinate the new king is right now?

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Playing a big, hosed up family of squabbling nerds in Anhalt. All the provinces of the duchy belong to my dynasty, but we went insular and everyone now has billions of kids so we don't even stand a real chance of taking the duchy from our liege. Nearly everyone is learning focused, hence the nerds part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

hopeandjoy posted:

Is it not worth it at all to create another kingdom title until you have primogeniture, or does having high partition keep all Kingdom titles with your heir?

Mostly asking because I have the later and am thinking of starting to chew through Scotland because it’s owned by the King of Jerusalem right now.

Also the King of Jerusalem is my very distant cousin and tried to get my land before I curb stomped him, so gently caress him.

Partition gives your primary title to your heir and then splits them off starting at equal rank, so a second kingdom would go to someone else and become independent. Basically you have to hold an empire title if you want to keep multiple kingdom titles across characters without primo.