Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

oldpainless posted:

A pleasure to meet you Gul Dukat

I was teeing up "so you play as America" but I'm really enjoying the mental image of Dukat as a Civ leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Moon Slayer posted:

Yes. Don't know how anyone can say Australia lacks culture when they built the pyramids, Stonehenge, the Hagia Sofia, and Hoover Dam.

Australian? Astro-Alien?? :aaaaa:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

white Australia has lots.of different cultures growing inside last week's tinnies

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

All my victories involve space travel and genocide.

Hell, same. Incidentally I've never played Civilization

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i went to australia once and there was plenty of cultural variety, there was cocaine culture, meth culture, weed culture...

and then of course the majority alcohol culture

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dabir posted:

white Australia has lots.of different cultures growing inside last week's tinnies

That's where the vegemite comes from

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc Hawkins posted:

i went to australia once and there was plenty of cultural variety, there was cocaine culture, meth culture, weed culture...

and then of course the majority alcohol culture

Ahh, I see you went to Sydney! :hmmyes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Australia gave the world Road Warrior and Bargearse. That's culture enough for any nation to be proud of.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah but what about the farce that is Kangaroo Jack?

I defy you Vegimites

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They also gave us Midnight Oil, the only band to make more political music than RATM

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Australia has plenty of culture. Here's a brief list of their greatest contributions:
Knifey-spoony game
VB
Ensuring Americans are not the most nationally embarrassing tourist groups in Bali
Outback Steakhouse
Baz Luhrman, author of the timeless play Romeo and Juliet
The weirdest of football games
The critically acclaimed action movie series set in a gritty, post-apocalyptic desert, The Wizard of Oz

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Crocodile Dundee, and his hated nemesis the Crocodile Hunter.

Australia’s given the world a lot, but they also gave us Mel Gibson.

It truly is a land of contrasts.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

Crocodile Dundee, and his hated nemesis the Crocodile Hunter.

Australia’s given the world a lot, but they also gave us Mel Gibson.

It truly is a land of contrasts.

:wrong:

Basically all the good Aussies come from NZ and the bad ones from the USA / UK.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I didn’t realize y’all had a New York down there too. Crazy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Moon Slayer posted:

Yes. Don't know how anyone can say Australia lacks culture when they built the pyramids, Stonehenge, the Hagia Sofia, and Hoover Dam.

Also the Sphinx, which we of course turned into a pub. Ours is better because it has a nose, checkmate Egypt :smug:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the Sphinx, which we of course turned into a pub. Ours is better because it has a nose, checkmate Egypt :smug:

We turned "Ayers Rock" into a hollowed out shopping mall before burning it down though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inceltown posted:

We turned "Ayers Rock" into a hollowed out shopping mall before burning it down though.

Hollowed-out shopping mall and unironic Golliwog museum
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2018/08/01/hundreds-golliwog-dolls-confirmed-dead-fake-uluru-roadhouse-fire

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

canyoneer posted:

Australia has plenty of culture. Here's a brief list of their greatest contributions:

Rupert Murdoch
:mad:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I will not here these slanders against the birthplace of both neighbours AND home and away

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We also have Michael Cusack.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
in bizarre synchronicity with the thread title Australia was also a pioneer in sexy beach defeat videos, only we called it Gallipoli.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

thatbastardken posted:

in bizarre synchronicity with the thread title Australia was also a pioneer in sexy beach defeat videos, only we called it Gallipoli.

:drat:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thatbastardken posted:

:eyepop:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

thatbastardken posted:

Well, Australians, you are odd fellows, but I must say you steam a good self-deprecation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZm5QvpfonY

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 12:34 on Sep 4, 2020

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

thatbastardken posted:

God drat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is there anything Australia hasn’t lost on a beach?

They even lost a prime minister.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Is there anything Australia hasn’t lost on a beach?

They even lost a prime minister.
Racist government policies

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thatbastardken posted:

Strewth, mate! :stonklol:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Outrail posted:

Yeah nah mate, we've got poo poo all in terms of culture unless you count all the crap we've stolen from other countries or cargo culted from the mother country.

Profoundly stupid with a childlike understanding of the concept of culture is pretty Australian tho.

That's not how you spell American!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's what unites us as a species :unsmith:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
gonna move to Weird Australia and run one of those 13 seat movie theaters where we have rocky horror showings on the weekend and everyone dresses up in costume for Kaiju Saturdays . i bet that would be really nice. you could take the whole family out and still have enough dosh for a nice cuppa afterwards.

do australioids drink tea? or is it just like, they leave a leaf in a cup and set it outside and that becomes tea.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

gonna move to Weird Australia and run one of those 13 seat movie theaters where we have rocky horror showings on the weekend and everyone dresses up in costume for Kaiju Saturdays . i bet that would be really nice. you could take the whole family out and still have enough dosh for a nice cuppa afterwards.

do australioids drink tea? or is it just like, they leave a leaf in a cup and set it outside and that becomes tea.

Australians are possibly unique in people who will drink tea and coffee variously depending on what they feel like at that moment

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
If I was a town in Australia, my name would be Smokabongbong

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahh, I see you went to Sydney! :hmmyes:

Melbourne, actually. Footscray. :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

thatbastardken posted:

Bloody hell

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

jesus mary and joseph

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

thatbastardken posted:

:drat:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australians are possibly unique in people who will drink tea and coffee variously depending on what they feel like at that moment

gently caress it, be like Malaysia and drink both at once. Cham supremacy.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Melbourne, actually. Footscray. :)

Should've said you'd been chroming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cocaine Bear posted:

I'm in no position to judge, but maybe save some of that blow for the weekend?

Data Graham posted:

I would think you are absolutely in a position to judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to defend Australia by saying at least they gave us a couple of pretty cool TV shows. Then, I realized that both of those shows are from New Zealand.

Australia is just a worse New Zealand.