Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Winnipeg Jets are two seasons away from being a team as long as the Thrashers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

All flash and no finish. He'll still be drafted in the third round because of his name.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

All KHL uniform updates should now follow the Bob Hartley example:

https://streamable.com/3iaqeo

I assume most of you have seen this by now, but if not click that awful link.

"....a nightgown for his lady".

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

if that kid tries that hotdog poo poo in my backyard rink he's gonna get pounded into the boards by some real canadian hockey boys

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

our youngest is probably about the same age and can sort of run, and cries a lot

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Ovechkin genes are powerful.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues/status/1301988470424993798?s=20
man it's understandable given his concussion history but Savard basically took the Blues PP from being horrible to top-5 in one year. he'll be missed.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well, I guess MacKinnon at least is number 2 for longest point streak in the playoffs, that's something

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Ow, my heart

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1302014536522838016?s=20
already there's people in the replies mumbling about the return of the Nordiques/Aeros

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Troy Queef posted:

already there's people in the replies mumbling about the return of the Whalers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Troy Queef posted:

already there's people in the replies mumbling about the return of the Nordiques/Aeros

Panthers fan here. There’s *always* someone in the replies mumbling about the return of the Nordiques.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh hello. Took longer to get in here than expected...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm home.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
getting turnt in the sad zone

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

get rekt nucks

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Oh hello. Took longer to get in here than expected...

Two games longer than the Bruins, so that's a plus.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

A good run for the young Canucks. The future is bright

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Number19 posted:

ya they're so fuckin fun to watch im pumped for the future. or at least the next year before we lose all our good players because there's no cap space for them

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Canucks had a great run but they got way too tight in the game, especially in the last 10 minutes. Forcing passes and giving up on shot attempts. You had like 3 shots all game

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Tough loss, but drat do the Canucks have a nice core to build around. Pettersson and Hughes are two of my favorite players in the league to watch play, and both of them were both unbelievable all playoffs. JT Miller was a fantastic acquisition for this team, A mid-20s pick was well worth it. All of Bennings recent trades have been good, he just needs to stop signing free agents

Is Demko available for the expansion draft?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Odds are this core doesn't get a shot like this again. How many "great young teams with a bright future" have we seen lose a heartbreaker in the playoffs then flame out completely? In recent memory the Oilers and Jets have done it and vanished into obscurity.

Canucks are capped out and about to lose a lot of talent. That was quite likely the best chance this core will ever have.

Cool.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Odds are this core doesn't get a shot like this again. How many "great young teams with a bright future" have we seen lose a heartbreaker in the playoffs then flame out completely? In recent memory the Oilers and Jets have done it and vanished into obscurity.

Canucks are capped out and about to lose a lot of talent. That was quite likely the best chance this core will ever have.

Cool.

come on pal have a little bit of joy this is way too depressing

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Canucks appear to have a legit young goaltender though, and that's usually the hardest thing to attain

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Poor Demko. He did so good, but he looks so crushed.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

come on pal have a little bit of joy this is way too depressing

Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom are all due for new deals. Pick one, maybe zero. Pettersson and Hughes need new contracts after next season. The cap is staying static.

This is where all those bad contracts come to really hurt us. They start adding up and welp we have to offload actually useful players to keep them around.

We're probably less than a 50% chance of even making the playoffs next year let alone winning 7 games in them.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

i think either way there was not really a chance marky was coming back, those first two rounds got him in the crosshairs of every gm needing a goalie in the league (aka 90% of the league). edmonton and calgary are gonna be in a bidding war and i dont think a big contract for a 30 year old goalie is a good idea.

tanev is old and kinda sucks now, but we definitely should've traded him a couple years ago so we'd have some young guy to take his place. and ya eriksson and myers and beagle and half the team have shite contracts too. but caman petey and hughes alone are gonna force this team to at least make the playoffs again.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom are all due for new deals. Pick one, maybe zero. Pettersson and Hughes need new contracts after next season. The cap is staying static.

This is where all those bad contracts come to really hurt us. They start adding up and welp we have to offload actually useful players to keep them around.

We're probably less than a 50% chance of even making the playoffs next year let alone winning 7 games in them.

Doesn’t seem like the team really needs to worry about losing Markstrom :v:

Ferland should absolutely just go on IR forever, and teams always find ways to disappear middling contracts like Beagle and Roussell. I think the Canucks can find space to keep the guys they need to and so long as they have their core they’ll be competitive for a long time. They might not improve the roster much during this whole weird cap thing but their key guys have room to improve all on their own.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

bad forever

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the Eriksson, Beagle, and Sutter contracts are absolutely terrible. The Myers one is too, but for different reasons

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Number19 posted:

Can't wait for Benning to go ham on signing bad vets to long term deals

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

As the father of an almost three year old, this is incredible. Like I’m speechless

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

ThinkTank posted:

The Hell are you talking about? The Stanley Cup finals are in Edmonton so I hardly think that's obscurity

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can't wait for Benning to go ham on signing bad vets to long term deals

If you look up "A Real Veteran Presence" Jack Johnson's picture is the entire definition and it takes up the whole page.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Vancouver has a franchise #1 d-man, #1 center, and seemingly a goalie of the future in Demko. I think they'll be OK.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Canucks are just the 2017 Ottawa Senators only instead of a penny-pinching owner who will force them to trade their good players when they ask for money, they have a bunch of boat anchor contracts and a GM who's too cowardly to dump them. Fight me.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Was it Benning or Gillis who traded away both of their elite goaltenders in the span of a year?
Also I only remember a goalie prospect being part of the return, what else did they get?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Call Your Grandma posted:

Was it Benning or Gillis who traded away both of their elite goaltenders in the span of a year?
Also I only remember a goalie prospect being part of the return, what else did they get?

It was Gillis, and those trades netted Bo Horvat and Jacob Markstrom.

In retrospect both of those trades turned out remarkably well for the Canucks.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It took a long time for Markstrom to mature. And while Demko was clearly outstanding in the playoffs, he wasn't all that convincing during the regular season and it was Markstrom who dragged the Canucks into the playoffs.
I'm not convinced that trading Markstrom and keeping Demko is the obvious choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Markstrom didn't so much need to mature as he needed to work with a good goalie coach. I don't think it's any surprise that Markstrom's play improved dramatically after the Canucks hired Ian Clark.