Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a quicksave / quickload function in this like there was in CK2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

queeb posted:

any tips on selecting people to take over counties to be vassals? I almost have all of ireland, need to divvy poo poo up. I do have a brother and we're besties, i was going to offload 3 provinces to him. is it fine to give one person a bunch of land or should I split it up between courtiers?

You generally don't want any one vassal to be too powerful. Give two of those provinces to two assholes. Give your brother the last county and the dutchy to rule over them.

Your brother might be loyal to the end, but his son or grandson might not be. By stopping him, or at least slowing him down, in gaining all of the counties in his control, he'll be overall weaker when he decides to rebel or join a faction.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
edit - they start raised. This game is something else lmao.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The amount of vote strength you get from Popular Opinion seems a little off.

I have Scandinavian Elective in my two kingdom titles which is all well and good, except one insignificant chief running a single chiefdom has practically complete control of who is to rule the country because the backwards 1 development town he's in charge of has +35 Popular Opinion as a temporary modifier.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

What does it mean when in the vassals tab when it says some people have Title Allegiance: "allegiance towards the Kingdom of Castille rather than you!" When I have the Kingdom of Castille title?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can I grant titles to absolute nobodies who are lowborn, or is there a downside to that? I kinda like the idea of giving away titles to Knights who've served me well in battle, and also random people who have great stats. My reasoning is: if they have awesome stats, they'll cause their county to prosper and I'll get a larger share of their pie in the form of taxes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Qubee posted:

Can I grant titles to absolute nobodies who are lowborn, or is there a downside to that? I kinda like the idea of giving away titles to Knights who've served me well in battle, and also random people who have great stats. My reasoning is: if they have awesome stats, they'll cause their county to prosper and I'll get a larger share of their pie in the form of taxes.

This is basically all I do. If you give poo poo to landed people, they might inherit right out of your realm if they inherit from elsewhere first.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Qubee posted:

nothing wrong with this at all, and usually what i do as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well I definitely control three holy sites now.

The problem is that I am 66 and still nowhere near going feudal because I'm still missing a bunch of the innovations. I'm also not near the empire threshold and I used up my once-in-a-lifetime invasion on Kanem so going after Darfur won't be quick at all. This is probably going to blow up in a really entertaining way very soon lol, maybe I will be able to squeak in Reforming the faith in this lifetime though, need more piety or to get to the -50% perk soon

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You generally don't want any one vassal to be too powerful. Give two of those provinces to two assholes. Give your brother the last county and the dutchy to rule over them.

Your brother might be loyal to the end, but his son or grandson might not be. By stopping him, or at least slowing him down, in gaining all of the counties in his control, he'll be overall weaker when he decides to rebel or join a faction.

My strategy is to find somebody (preferably of my bloodline/succession line) with good stats, and have him be the main dutchy holder, and then place people that do not like me and/or are idiots within the other counties of that dutchy, getting them out of my court

I want dutchy-holding vassals with good stats so I can throw them on the council. Granted its a roll of the dice who will succeed them but generally I feel strong characters have a better chance to yield strong heirs who can serve you as well.

I've really had to break myself of the vassal-management that CK2 taught me

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Balls, the Matilda achievement states "Starting as Matilda of Canossa, form Italy, found a Holy Order and have 50 living dynasty members" but looking at the achievement file, it is "While playing as Matilda, do all that stuff". Reckon the achievement is bugged, or the tooltip?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Send help, this game is ruining my eating and sleeping schedules.

My daughter stabbed my marshal right before the feast events started, and the very first event I get at the feast was her sitting down with me and asking me my thoughts about friendship. I picked the choice that was basically "friendship is great! We should be friends too!" and then went straight to the tribal authority settings and upped it so I could have her arrested before she could decide we weren't friends after all.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Huh, so I noticed something seemingly interesting just now. I gained a weak hook on my liege so I thought I'd use it to tweak my feudal contract in my favor. While looking at the options I noticed that the March special contract is considered to be in the liege's favor so it doesn't cost me anything but it looks to be all significant advantage for me: boosts my levy size/reinforcement rate, garrison size, bonus defender advantage, lowered army maintenance, and reduced taxes payed to my liege. Seems like a no-brainer if you're a duchy+ vassal and it's available.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kanfy posted:

The amount of vote strength you get from Popular Opinion seems a little off.

I have Scandinavian Elective in my two kingdom titles which is all well and good, except one insignificant chief running a single chiefdom has practically complete control of who is to rule the country because the backwards 1 development town he's in charge of has +35 Popular Opinion as a temporary modifier.

as goes bezichi, so goes mother russia

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah... definitely thinking this should probably scale some other way than literally just popular opinion of that vassal's capital. Turns out that last guy was small fry compared to someone wielding real power, I mean this guy supports my candidate and all but still...

Ol' "foolish" Boris got rid of some bandits in his neighborhood and his marshal's been helping him out recently, so it of course follows that the man now wields literally twice as much voting power in electing the next king as everyone else in the whole country combined.

"Remember to vote, every vote can make a difference" they told you. But turns out, the game was rigged from the start.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 4, 2020

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My Grandson and heir, through my son who is not married matrilineal, is not of my dynasty. What could cause this?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I played CK2 a decent amount back in the day but haven't touched it in years and years; I was never really any good. I've poked around Ireland some and now I'm looking for some other relatively easy characters to play as so as to get back in the swing of things. Any suggestions?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Oh "cool." They "fixed" the thing in CK2 where you could put a character in a crusading army for a bit to get the trait and then pull them out. If you do that now you lose the trait and a chunk of piety too.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

My Grandson and heir, through my son who is not married matrilineal, is not of my dynasty. What could cause this?
impossible. you're probably looking at a different grandson.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Teddybear posted:

I played CK2 a decent amount back in the day but haven't touched it in years and years; I was never really any good. I've poked around Ireland some and now I'm looking for some other relatively easy characters to play as so as to get back in the swing of things. Any suggestions?

Mathilde of Tuscany. She starts young, wealthy and with plenty of weak neighbors to beat up on.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Having an absolute blast starting as petty king Georgios of Makuria. Started off at a decent sized Coptic duchy with an outrageous number of titles which I quickly granted to various nobodies to bring my domain to a reasonable size. Started immediately swaying the Fatimid caliph so he wouldn’t feel like coming to steamroll my heretic rear end and then set about conquering neighboring tribes. Now he’s terrified of me as his vassals fall on his weak-rear end holdings and carve him up. Found an amazing peasant wife to bolster my weak skills and quickly formed the Kingdom of Nubia and am on a roll. The world is my oyster. 10/10.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Zane posted:

impossible. you're probably looking at a different grandson.

After inspection it turns out he born out of wedlock, but I don't see why he would have been my heir.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Huh, debt doesn't carry over after you die, that's pretty handy

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Is there a setting to change that will show when less important people in my court leave? I've noticed council positions just opening up with no indication of what happened, and I just lost a concubine but I have no idea where she went or if she died.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

MelancholyMark posted:

Huh, debt doesn't carry over after you die, that's pretty handy

I don't know if this is true or not, but I think each character has their own individual gold / prestige / piety bank. When I look at my family members portraits, they all have their own. I didn't pay enough attention when my character died and it passed over to my son, but I think he started with his own poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well, I learned that the "Subjugate" casus belli works against kings too.

Now I just need 230 gold before I kick the bucket :ohdear:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Teddybear posted:

I found the Swedish easy start at the earliest date quite easy. Took me two rulers to unite Sweden, Norway and half of Denmark.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Traxis posted:

Mathilde of Tuscany. She starts young, wealthy and with plenty of weak neighbors to beat up on.

Star posted:

I found the Swedish easy start at the earliest date quite easy. Took me two rulers to unite Sweden, Norway and half of Denmark.

Interesting. I'll give them a shot. Thanks!

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Gobblecoque posted:

Oh "cool." They "fixed" the thing in CK2 where you could put a character in a crusading army for a bit to get the trait and then pull them out. If you do that now you lose the trait and a chunk of piety too.

Do they have to stay with the army for the entire length of the crusade now or just for a certain length of time?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oh man. Got a fantastic run of conquest with a duelist duke, forming and conquering three kingdoms across North Africa, and then unexpectedly died... fragmenting the realm between three sons, the senior of whom is a shy paranoid craven with diplomacy and martial skills of actual zero.

This is gonna be a ride.

e: Oh, and I'm in three ongoing wars and can't even come close to affording to upkeep on the men-at-arms that my dad could with his three kingdoms.

e2: But if I can kill off one of my brothers, he has no sons so I'll get one kingdom back. Now I'm consuming massive amounts of drugs to overcome my cowardice and push the schemes through. This will surely end well.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 4, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

For anyone raiding, if your troops are raiding something, and you order them to move to the next one, they'll finish raiding the current region before moving.

It's nice, and means you can have an action 'queued up' so to speak.

Same goes for armies that are Gathering, if you order them to move anywhere they'll finish gathering before starting to move. (Unless you ctrl+click which forces them to start moving.)
The ctrl+move thing is actually pretty good, because it means you can rally up an army, chuck them off to start marching once they've gotten big.
And then raise a new army to keep gathering the remaining troops while the first army starts moving.

It can save you a couple weeks, which can often be enough to slap away a siege before it manages to complete, etc.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Do I have to build buildings for cities in my domain? I've been playing on tribal and this is the first time I've gotten far after switching to Feudal so I cant tell if mayors build on their own or not. My one current mayor hasnt build anything in the last 40 years since I built the city.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Daktar posted:

Do they have to stay with the army for the entire length of the crusade now or just for a certain length of time?

You pretty much have to stay in the army during from the moment your army get to the target until the end of the war or else you lose it it seems. You can regain the trait by making yourself commander again but the lost 250 piety is of course gone. Not a huge loss since you'll be probably be getting lots of piety anyway but still, 250 is enough for some popecash.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

King Rurik won't stop coming all the way over to Oslo and sleeping with my wives. gently caress off, Rurik!!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

A crusade just failed at 90% war score because the target (Fatimids) formed Egypt, lol.

Also, there is an exploit that lets you instantly win wars: Scheme to abduct a ruler, and when the final event pops and pauses the game, declare war. Assuming the abduction succeeds, you will immediately get 100% war score.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Huh? An enemy army moved my capital but couldn't siege it because the garrison had more men. Cool! Maybe for one war I don't have the annoying army micro dance. So I go one sieging his capital. Except a month later somehow my garrison lost ~100 men and now he's halfway to taking my capital. I have no idea how that happened.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The AI is pretty spectacularly dumb about launching attacks off boats.
I mean, I won't say no to the 30-point advantage benefit I get out of them being dumb, but it is pretty surprising.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
So I guess the best thing for my aging duke is to refrain from making any duchy titles for newly conquered territories, otherwise his territory will get split in duchies among his 3 children on his death. I dont even want to know what one of his lunatic sons, who also happens to have syphilis for the past 20 years, would do with a duchy :ohdear:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

lalaland posted:

So I guess the best thing for my aging duke is to refrain from making any duchy titles for newly conquered territories, otherwise his territory will get split in duchies among his 3 children on his death. I dont even want to know what one of his lunatic sons, who also happens to have syphilis for the past 20 years, would do with a duchy :ohdear:

Great things.

Also doesn't the game auto create titles to spite you now? (And technically to avoid specifically that cheese strat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

King Rurik won't stop coming all the way over to Oslo and sleeping with my wives. gently caress off, Rurik!!

i started as rurik and he's bi, lock up your council in general