Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Is it any fun? I have a soft spot for the original card game but this seems pretty different. I have to admit that the lack of individual attack names and evolution requirements is disappointing to me.

My super short take is that it plays like a Digimon riff on Duel Masters. Same life system, same approach to combat, many keywords from Duel Masters are translated over exactly and do the same thing, even evolving digimon uses much the same mechanic from Duel Masters just with more emphasis and a couple of specifically Digimon related things.

The main difference is resources. Unlike Duel Masters in the new Digica game the players share a resource pool with a tug-of-war style set up. "Memory" goes from 10 to 10 from you to your opponent and spending resources pushes the marker towards them. If you're at 5 memory and you spend 8 memory your turn ends and their turn begins with 3 memory. It's an interesting prospect and it also really pushes you to actually do evolving because it costs a fraction as much memory to evolve up to Ultimate than it does to just play an Ultimate straight out (though you can still do that, but doing so gives your opponent enough memory that the game immediately escalates.)

Also all the attacks are on option cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That resource system sounds awesome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Subs for the Digimon Last Adventure film are out and it's certainly a Digimon movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Subs for the Digimon Last Adventure film are out and it's certainly a Digimon movie.

I was about to say something like are you sure about that and then I remembered the general quality of Digimon movies

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d say it’s better than Tri but still not a great film in general. Adventure: still remains probably the best thing to come out of that particular sub-franchise since the original in my opinion (and that includes 02 as well)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I’d say it’s better than Tri but still not a great film in general. Adventure: still remains probably the best thing to come out of that particular sub-franchise since the original in my opinion (and that includes 02 as well)

I'd say the same. Adventure: is a bit more flash than substance and I wish it slowed down and let characters have character moments, but at least it's never annoyed me beyond the fact that only Taichi and Yamato get gorgeous evolution scenes, and whenever it has the best animators, it looks goddamn amazing.

Admittedly, Adventure: is competing with the kind of plotholey 02, the absolutely terrible Tri and Last Evolution, which I haven't watched yet. It's not a hard race to win.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Giving the fan-made card game program a download since it seems interesting. If it's fun enough I might try and get a friend to play the IRL one with me... Though unfortunately I've lost touch with my main CCG/Digimon-buddy here so it'll take some selling on my part.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd say the same. Adventure: is a bit more flash than substance and I wish it slowed down and let characters have character moments, but at least it's never annoyed me beyond the fact that only Taichi and Yamato get gorgeous evolution scenes, and whenever it has the best animators, it looks goddamn amazing.

Admittedly, Adventure: is competing with the kind of plotholey 02, the absolutely terrible Tri and Last Evolution, which I haven't watched yet. It's not a hard race to win.

I think he was talking about Last Evolution rather than Adventure:.

I also haven't seen LE, but I pretty much echo your thoughts on Adventure:. I'm enjoying it a lot, probably more than any of the series post-Tamers (though I haven't seen Appmon and I thought Savers was pretty good), but it moves at 100 miles an hour. It does a pretty good job of managing the cast and giving them character moments despite that, but it also doesn't give them time to grow that the original Adventure did. The ultimate evolutions are cool and have better showings than their debut episodes in Adventure IMO, but they don't have the payoff of the children's major development. That's not to say there isn't any; The kids' crest attributes still evolve them and the individual characters are growing. But something like Tai's character evolution over the course of the Etemon arc that culminates in Metal Greymon was much more impactful than what we got, which was him bravely fighting and never giving up. Or something.

Since there's a lot more episodes in this season I'm sure we'll get plenty more character development, but I just don't know how they'll represent it considering the evolutions are almost out of the way.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 5, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm guessing they're going to be saving the big character development moments for when everyone goes Ultimate instead

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Last Evolution is the stupid answer to a question nobody asked

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Giving the fan-made card game program a download since it seems interesting. If it's fun enough I might try and get a friend to play the IRL one with me... Though unfortunately I've lost touch with my main CCG/Digimon-buddy here so it'll take some selling on my part.

I think he was talking about Last Evolution rather than Adventure:.

I also haven't seen LE, but I pretty much echo your thoughts on Adventure:. I'm enjoying it a lot, probably more than any of the series post-Tamers (though I haven't seen Appmon and I thought Savers was pretty good), but it moves at 100 miles an hour. It does a pretty good job of managing the cast and giving them character moments despite that, but it also doesn't give them time to grow that the original Adventure did. The ultimate evolutions are cool and have better showings than their debut episodes in Adventure IMO, but they don't have the payoff of the children's major development. That's not to say there isn't any; The kids' crest attributes still evolve them and the individual characters are growing. But something like Tai's character evolution over the course of the Etemon arc that culminates in Metal Greymon was much more impactful than what we got, which was him bravely fighting and never giving up. Or something.

Since there's a lot more episodes in this season I'm sure we'll get plenty more character development, but I just don't know how they'll represent it considering the evolutions are almost out of the way.

No I meant Adventure:. It’s kind of fast paced so far but I’m really enjoying it for the most part.

As for LE, as I alluded to in the first sentence of my post I would call it better than Tri but still not a great film in general.

Also watch Appmon, it’s good and currently up on Crunchyroll

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Also watch Appmon, it’s good and currently up on Crunchyroll

I can't stress this enough, if you haven't, watch Appmon. It is goddamn excellent. Definitely one of the best in the franchise.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Who's the best partner digimon? I really get hung up on it....Terriermon is the best but wormmon is truly a loyal friend.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Last Evolution is the stupid answer to a question nobody asked

And one that doesn't even fit with the original epilogue they made up way back in 02.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Who's the best partner digimon? I really get hung up on it....Terriermon is the best but wormmon is truly a loyal friend.

Guilmon is a giant puppy murdersaurus

No one would pick Renamon even if they really wanted to

Tentomon would be neat

Clearly the answer is MarineAngemon

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its Terriermon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wormmon's life is misery and also he's voiced by Paul St. Peter doing the opposite of the Paul St. Peter Voice, he owns.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xelkelvos posted:

And one that doesn't even fit with the original epilogue they made up way back in 02.

Gonna once again say that in the wake of LE I'm actually glad for 02's epilogue for the first time ever.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly for me, the ‘expanded’ adventure cannon (Tri onwards) rots in that same mental trash compactor I’ve thrown Eureka Seven post Movie, the godawful Nadesico movie and Madoka Rebellion down. As far as I’m concerned, they didn’t happen.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Man, I dunno. Eureka Seven AO is a special kind of horrible that I don’t think has ever been matched for me

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also Goddamn the animators love Tentomon and his evolutions

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
As they rightly should. Tentomon is a good boy and his evolutions are universally awesome.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s nice to see Horn Buster animated as it was originally described and not as a beam of electricity again.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly for me, the ‘expanded’ adventure cannon (Tri onwards) rots in that same mental trash compactor I’ve thrown Eureka Seven post Movie, the godawful Nadesico movie and Madoka Rebellion down. As far as I’m concerned, they didn’t happen.

Not the worst approach. Honestly Nadesico Prince of Darkness is a really good comparison to draw here, as the good parts of that movie made the bad parts feel so much worse. It also utterly failed to carry on the theme of its series. More's the pity we won't be getting a Super Robot Wars to come along and make an honest try at salvaging Tri+LE, Prince of Darkness has actually had a number of good appearances over the years in that.

And it takes quite a lot to make me compare Tri/LE favorably to something but at the very least it didn't seem to hold its audience in contempt the way post-series Eureka Seven did. I can't watch Pocketful of Rainbows and later portions of AO without getting the sense that the production team had some kind of searing hatred for the fans and the fanbase that existed. Post-02 Adventure is a lot of things, but I don't think it outright hated its fandom. It was bad and the themes it ran with were totally at odds with the original anime seasons and the ending of Last Evolution remains amazingly bad in all ways, but I lean more on stupidity than malice.

Meanwhile in the land of good Digimon I'm glad Adventure 20 is still happening and still good. Appmon washed the taste of Tri out of my mouth and 20 is doing the same for LE so good on it. Assuming it keeps good it'll be nice to have gotten the next good digimon anime some five or six years early.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Conversely, the LE version of Butterfly is probably my favorite rendition.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Gonna once again say that in the wake of LE I'm actually glad for 02's epilogue for the first time ever.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a movie or OVA in the Epilogue time period centered around their kids, like say Taichi and the rest of the adults all get occupied with some large scale disaster in the Digital World, meanwhile the kids get dragged into their own adventure in the Human World, exploring deeper into a world where more and more humans have obtained Digimon partners(I'm making the assumption that the claim that everyone has one is an extreme exaggeration), and how that's not always a good thing(kinda picturing the antagonists as being a small army of Tamers in a 3rd World Nation who've led a revolt and are in the process of taking it over, with it being as messy and brutal as you'd expect a Civil War that's being fought with nuclear cyborg dinosaurs would be, and their violence is spreading across the globe taking advantage of the Adventure/02 Chosen being off world)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The new ED is super cute.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Is this the first time Kuwagamon has ever been treated like a legitimate threat?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

It’s nice to see Horn Buster animated as it was originally described and not as a beam of electricity again.

Yeah, i get why it was a beam of electricity before but its cool that the giant horned beetles actually get to use thier giant horn in combat.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Is this the first time Kuwagamon has ever been treated like a legitimate threat?

I feel like Kuwagamon actually has a surprisingly good track record. Sure, he doesn't usually win. But it usually goes to a draw or no contest instead of him being handed an L.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Not the worst approach. Honestly Nadesico Prince of Darkness is a really good comparison to draw here, as the good parts of that movie made the bad parts feel so much worse. It also utterly failed to carry on the theme of its series. More's the pity we won't be getting a Super Robot Wars to come along and make an honest try at salvaging Tri+LE, Prince of Darkness has actually had a number of good appearances over the years in that.
Well, never say never there, we've had a bunch of Super Robot adjacent stuff poping up since X so I could see something happen even if it's like War Greymon, Metal Garurumon and Omnimon.

Omnicrom posted:

I can't watch Pocketful of Rainbows and later portions of AO without getting the sense that the production team had some kind of searing hatred for the fans and the fanbase that existed.

I should have specified that I hold no anger at Pocketful of Rainbows. Infact if everyone involved learned the lesson it was imparting (Stop loving with this thing, it's done, go make your own thing) then we wouldn't have AO and the future movies.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I liked how hectic this battle was and how the trio have to cover for each other. The pack of Kuwagamon attacking them in a coordinated pattern also gives a good reason why Greymon or Togemon couldn't just go Ultimate on them; Everyone's constantly on the defensive and have no time to breath, much less evolve.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Also Goddamn the animators love Tentomon and his evolutions

Bugs are cool and Izzy was always the third main protagonist after Taichi and Yamato.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I miss the crests being a thing. Maybe I just like collectible nonsense, but I kinda wish the kids called out these weird symbols that their digivices keep showing as part of the evolution

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get the feeling they're seting things up where the kids are getting the base properties of their crests without any controll to them (see Mimi sincerly wishing Andromon was dead) to explore things during the to mega portion of things.

Like I could see it that Tai gets paniced by the idea of Kari being in digiworld, pushes Agumon too far and ends up falldown-warp-digivolving into Machinedramon as has been hinted (Appoligies if I got any of that wrong) leading into the idea of Courage without Recklessness or simmilar.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 6, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Generally yeah.

Kuwagamon was in the first episode but got taken out when the digimon first evolved. A Kuwagamon showed up again in the Folder Desert but that episode was mostly about Taichi getting over his nerves following Skull Greymon and the framing was that Greymon could have totally taken it out if Agumon had evolved. Next major appearance was Tri movie 1 where a bunch of Kuwagamon were brought in explicitly as Jobbers to get viewers to pop for all the digimon evolving to Adult again. As for evolutions Okuwamon was Paildramon's first opponent and put over by virtue of being a Perfect so Paildramon could be put over even further. Meanwhile Gran Kuwagamon showed up in Frontier and jobbed out to the Royal Knights, and Grandis Kuwagamon was in Xros Wars which is a series that basically never put anyone over so it doesn't really matter...

jivjov posted:

I miss the crests being a thing. Maybe I just like collectible nonsense, but I kinda wish the kids called out these weird symbols that their digivices keep showing as part of the evolution

There's almost no chance they won't get into that down the road in Adventure 20.

The thing to bring up is in Koushirou's tablet. His computer transformed into it when he first got his Digivice and it explicitly showed the Crest of Knowledge during that sequence, and the framing of the most recent episode makes me think said tablet deliberately shut itself down to force Koushirou to act without relying on it. The fact it turns itself back on at the end of the episode and may even be running better suggests that some outside power (the Crest itself?) wanted Koushirou to learn something.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Omnicrom posted:

Generally yeah.

Kuwagamon was in the first episode but got taken out when the digimon first evolved. A Kuwagamon showed up again in the Folder Desert but that episode was mostly about Taichi getting over his nerves following Skull Greymon and the framing was that Greymon could have totally taken it out if Agumon had evolved. Next major appearance was Tri movie 1 where a bunch of Kuwagamon were brought in explicitly as Jobbers to get viewers to pop for all the digimon evolving to Adult again. As for evolutions Okuwamon was Paildramon's first opponent and put over by virtue of being a Perfect so Paildramon could be put over even further. Meanwhile Gran Kuwagamon showed up in Frontier and jobbed out to the Royal Knights, and Grandis Kuwagamon was in Xros Wars which is a series that basically never put anyone over so it doesn't really matter...

There's almost no chance they won't get into that down the road in Adventure 20.

The thing to bring up is in Koushirou's tablet. His computer transformed into it when he first got his Digivice and it explicitly showed the Crest of Knowledge during that sequence, and the framing of the most recent episode makes me think said tablet deliberately shut itself down to force Koushirou to act without relying on it. The fact it turns itself back on at the end of the episode and may even be running better suggests that some outside power (the Crest itself?) wanted Koushirou to learn something.

Didn't Kuwagamon just get back up and break the cliff they were on, though? Pretty sure that one ended in a no contest.

Also it took two Champions to beat each Kuwagamon in Tri, Greymon and Garurumon got their asses beat, and interference from Alphamon stopped the third Kuwagamon from getting a decisive end. So that's also a no contest.

What I'm saying here is Kuwagamon is totally the undefeated champ and should be pushed for Summerslam.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well, never say never there, we've had a bunch of Super Robot adjacent stuff poping up since X so I could see something happen even if it's like War Greymon, Metal Garurumon and Omnimon.

I should have specified that I hold no anger at Pocketful of Rainbows. Infact if everyone involved learned the lesson it was imparting (Stop loving with this thing, it's done, go make your own thing) then we wouldn't have AO and the future movies.

I forget if it was here or in the SRW thread but a while ago we talked about how to best use Digimon in one of those games, and this was basically my thoughts on the matter; Tamers as the series, only the D-Reaper arc is covered, only the five Ultimate stage Digimon(Dukemon, SaintGalgomon, Sakuyamon, Justimon, and Beelzebumon) are playable(with Guardromon, MarineAngemon, Antylamon, and Grani showing up in attacks rather than being full units)

Basically I realized most Digimon series just wouldn't work in an SRW context for a whole lot of reasons, Tamers ended up being the best fit with the restrictions I mentioned as that was the best way to make it fit the mold(there's just no way to make an evolution mechanic work in something like SRW without it being either broken or useless)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Put Masaru in a Digimon SRW-esque game as his own unit

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I forget if it was here or in the SRW thread but a while ago we talked about how to best use Digimon in one of those games, and this was basically my thoughts on the matter; Tamers as the series, only the D-Reaper arc is covered, only the five Ultimate stage Digimon(Dukemon, SaintGalgomon, Sakuyamon, Justimon, and Beelzebumon) are playable(with Guardromon, MarineAngemon, Antylamon, and Grani showing up in attacks rather than being full units)

Basically I realized most Digimon series just wouldn't work in an SRW context for a whole lot of reasons, Tamers ended up being the best fit with the restrictions I mentioned as that was the best way to make it fit the mold(there's just no way to make an evolution mechanic work in something like SRW without it being either broken or useless)

Instead of a mechanic just treat evolution like midseason upgrades. Hell, most of the series more or less do that anyway. The harder part is that most digimon have but 1 or 2 attacks to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Instead of a mechanic just treat evolution like midseason upgrades. Hell, most of the series more or less do that anyway. The harder part is that most digimon have but 1 or 2 attacks to work with.

that's not really an obstacle when you can just make up new ones, like they did for Greymon in this season.