Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Just got word from PNY support that an RTX Quadro 5000 will correctly handle a G-Sync monitor.

Ampere Quadro here I come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

repiv posted:

as ufarn said the seasonic one leaked, with individual packaging implying it will be sold by itself

we just don't know when it will be available

I saw that earlier but apparently didn't look closely enough, I thought it was an adapter. Nice!

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Rolo posted:

This guy really dunks on stock coolers but my AMD Prism has been great with my Ryzen 7 3700x and 1660ti.

Should I go ahead and turn it into a Noctua now and save myself a headache? Not familiar with beefier cards so I don’t know just how much hotter it’s going to be.

Prism is an exception to the rule, only bother swapping it out if you can't begrudge a single db of noise coming from your desktop

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
With your system sipping power it's probably not unreasonably loud. Dump another 200w in the case and then maybe it will make enough noise that you care. Maybe it won't. Just wait and see.

e - not content with selling garbage GPUs, AMD is now selling garbage mountain bikes as well. What the actual gently caress. Apparently GN Steve (an actual mountain biker) is getting one for review, which will doubtless be hilarious. Or Steve will die.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 5, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

K8.0 posted:

With your system sipping power it's probably not unreasonably loud. Dump another 200w in the case and then maybe it will make enough noise that you care. Maybe it won't. Just wait and see.

Ok cool. Last quick thermal concern I have is my case is a CoolerMaster Q300L (micro ATX), something a bit notorious online for being hot. Since getting it I’ve tossed the stock fans for a 2 front, 1 roof, 1 rear Noctua setup and I can currently play games like Control on highest settings with both my CPU and GPU in the mid 70 degree range.

Can I also consider this good enough to just wait and see how it handles a 3080?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

K8.0 posted:

e - not content with selling garbage GPUs, AMD is now selling garbage mountain bikes as well. What the actual gently caress. Apparently GN Steve (an actual mountain biker) is getting one for review, which will doubtless be hilarious. Or Steve will die.

Wow that bike is a pile. Nothing modern about it whatsoever. It's like it's from Walmart in the 90s with a new coat of paint.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD’s box coolers aren’t particularly good especially since they removed the copper core and ramped up the fan speeds to compensate. They are your basic bitch aluminum slug cooler with no heat pipes or core and don’t give particularly good performance for their size. The cryorig h7 or hyper 212 Evo are better coolers.

That said Ryzen processors are also not particularly thermally demanding.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 5, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
So, this might be a dumb question, but . . . I've seen people talking (memeing?) about laying their case on the side due to the size of these cards.

I probably have the desk space to do so . . . would my PSU sitting sideways hurt anything? I don't think my SSD or fans would really care that much.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Does everyone know what the specifications of the AMD gpu's in the new consoles will be? Is that part of their rumoured announcement next month? Since we know they're doing ray-tracing too, what is stopping AMD from having the most commonly used ray tracing hardware on PS5/Xbox/PC, and Nvidia having the most expensive/effective but not well-supported ray-tracing hardware that is only on PC's? Then when games are developed for console then garbagely ported to pc, they'll support AMD ray-tracing by default without any extra effort, and Nvidia users will be left unsupported? If they also come out with cards that are like, 80% as good as the Nvidia cards for 75% of the price but actual real availability this year, isn't Nvidia hosed? I must have the wrong impression because nobody else has mentioned this? (Cue people linking other people with the exact same take)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AMD and NVIDIA raytracing are underneath the same DX API used on XBox at least, so I don't expect that porting from will be a huge problem. AFAIK there's no proprietary variant from AMD that predates the DX API or anything that might inhibit adoption of the real one. Do the currently-deployed PS5/XSX devkits support hardware RT yet?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I'm not ruling out the idea of getting an AMD card. My new lg monitor supports g-sync and freesync. Either way I should be able to get a massive upgrade over my 980.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Am I missing something cause looking at the dimensions it seems like the 3080 FE is smaller than my Zotac 1070?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rubellavator posted:

Am I missing something cause looking at the dimensions it seems like the 3080 FE is smaller than my Zotac 1070?

ufarn posted:

Crazy difference in PCB size.

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1301989255850401793

Hard to make something more general of it since 3080 FE is not a reference board though. But it sure seems like they stepped it up with FEs.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Rubellavator posted:

Quite possibly so. The 2080 FE is only a dual-slot design measuring at 285mm x 112mm. The triple fan Zotac 1070 looks to be 303mm x 111.5mm.

The 3090's are the ones with the CHONK coolers.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I know pre-orders have not been announced but does anyone have any tips for someone looking to pre-order these cards in Canada?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Rhaegar posted:

I know pre-orders have not been announced but does anyone have any tips for someone looking to pre-order these cards in Canada?

Pre-order advice in general would be welcome. I remember I had to sign up for some thing that would call my phone when a 1080 was available back when they were new and hard to get.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rhaegar posted:

There will be no preorders as stated from multiple partners and Nvidia themselves.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

redreader posted:

Yeah I'm not ruling out the idea of getting an AMD card. My new lg monitor supports g-sync and freesync. Either way I should be able to get a massive upgrade over my 980.

DLSS is going to be hard to beat. For me, unless AMD has something compelling like much better RT support, which they might be able to do with 'biggest Navi' since they will cram 80 CUs each with its own RT hardware in it compared to the 3080's 68 SMs/RT cores, for me to consider it over the 3080. Or unless AMD really shows that it has a "good enough" DLSS alternative in the pipeline. The better ray-tracing thing might be a possibility although the technical wizards say that AMD's approach by using the texture mapping units in the CU to do the ray tracing has 'higher overhead ' might make that a moot point.

Either that or it turns out every 3080 will be a full-on jet engine in your room or something.

edit: Or it is at least 100 bucks cheaper.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
The Zotac 3080 and 3090 Trinity are up for pre-order on Amazon... for $1211 and $2415 respectively.

The prices are hopefully just placeholders. Amazon doesn't charge until the item ships, so I jumped on a 3090 in the hopes that the price gets corrected sometime over the next week or two (and that the pre-order pages aren't up by mistake and get pulled). If not, I'll just cancel it the day before the official release and try my luck elsewhere.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zarin posted:

So, this might be a dumb question, but . . . I've seen people talking (memeing?) about laying their case on the side due to the size of these cards.

I probably have the desk space to do so . . . would my PSU sitting sideways hurt anything? I don't think my SSD or fans would really care that much.

The main thing to keep in mind is to make sure that whichever panel you're laying down to face the floor isn't being used for airflow, but otherwise, if you already have a set-up like pulling air in from the front and exhausting it out the back, that should still work even with the case laying on its side. You might lose SOME airflow if you're using the top of the case to exhaust hot air as it rises, but probably not enough for it to matter?

Also, since cases aren't exactly designed to be used like that anymore, I wouldn't put anything on top of the side-panel unless you're very sure of what you're doing.

redreader posted:

Does everyone know what the specifications of the AMD gpu's in the new consoles will be? Is that part of their rumoured announcement next month? Since we know they're doing ray-tracing too, what is stopping AMD from having the most commonly used ray tracing hardware on PS5/Xbox/PC, and Nvidia having the most expensive/effective but not well-supported ray-tracing hardware that is only on PC's? Then when games are developed for console then garbagely ported to pc, they'll support AMD ray-tracing by default without any extra effort, and Nvidia users will be left unsupported? If they also come out with cards that are like, 80% as good as the Nvidia cards for 75% of the price but actual real availability this year, isn't Nvidia hosed? I must have the wrong impression because nobody else has mentioned this? (Cue people linking other people with the exact same take)

Whatever AMD's ray-tracing solution is going to be, it won't use tensor cores, since obviously AMD's cards won't have them. The worst-case scenario would probably be something like an Ampere card being less performant than an RX 6000 if the Ampere card is trying to do ray-tracing without tensors, but I'd consider that really unlikely, considering Nvidia is ahead of them in this sector, and knows that it has to deploy its development arm to make sure that its cards are well-supported. And especially if the ray-tracing implementation is going to be done through a more generic API/library (sic?) in the form of DX12 Ultimate. And especially since ray-tracing isn't all about tensor cores anyway.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The consoles aren't going to be that powerful. I'm willing to confidently assume the 3070 is significantly more powerful than even the Series X.

Whatever AMD may have to offer, it will not be competitive with Nvidia in terms of RT. Apparently, AMD only has acceleration hardware for intersections, BVH construction has to be done with shader hardware. Tensor cores are still irrelevant for this BTW, and based on Nvidia's latest presentations it seems that they may have given up entirely on the idea of Tensor-based denoising for real-time rendering.

It's possible Big Navi will offer more raw rasterization performance for the money than Ampere. It's unlikely that this will make it relevant. both because some of that performance will be wasted on RT in the most demanding titles and because DLSS is killer. Sure, AMD can come up with some kind of feature parity, but we all know that usually takes a few years and iterations to become competitive.

I honestly think this generation is going to be an absolute rear end blasting for AMD, and the next one probably will be as well. With the money from Zen pouring in AMD may finally have the R&D budget to become semi-relevant, but it's going to take several more years. Turing was a loving dud and AMD still couldn't compete. The brief period where you might have considered Navi was marred by awful drivers, and by the time they were mostly fixed the cards were largely uninteresting compared to the Supers. Again, that's against Nvidia's weakest generation since Fermi, with an enormous node advantage. Ampere is a more typical Nvidia leap forward, I don't know how anyone can seriously expect AMD to produce a competitive product.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

gradenko_2000 posted:

Whatever AMD's ray-tracing solution is going to be, it won't use tensor cores, since obviously AMD's cards won't have them. The worst-case scenario would probably be something like an Ampere card being less performant than an RX 6000 if the Ampere card is trying to do ray-tracing without tensors, but I'd consider that really unlikely, considering Nvidia is ahead of them in this sector, and knows that it has to deploy its development arm to make sure that its cards are well-supported. And especially if the ray-tracing implementation is going to be done through a more generic API/library (sic?) in the form of DX12 Ultimate. And especially since ray-tracing isn't all about tensor cores anyway.

Tensor cores are not for RT. They are for DLSS among other things. There are dedicated RT cores in Turing and Ampere. AMD's solution according to the Xbox presentation is to repurpose the texture mapping units within each CU to be able to do RT calculations instead.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Almost Smart posted:

The Zotac 3080 and 3090 Trinity are up for pre-order on Amazon... for $1211 and $2415 respectively.

The prices are hopefully just placeholders. Amazon doesn't charge until the item ships, so I jumped on a 3090 in the hopes that the price gets corrected sometime over the next week or two (and that the pre-order pages aren't up by mistake and get pulled). If not, I'll just cancel it the day before the official release and try my luck elsewhere.

I ordered a 3080, too. I haven't used a Zotac-branded GPU before but if it means skipping out on the launch rush (provided they don't actually try to charge me $1,200 for a 3080), I'll give em a shot.

Best Buy has product pages for the three FE cards and it says 3-year warranty. Haven't the FE cards typically had 1-year?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bloodplay it again posted:

Haven't the FE cards typically had 1-year?

Their cards for OEMs carry a one-year warranty, their consumer-oriented cards are three years: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/support/warranty/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I ordered a 3080, too. I haven't used a Zotac-branded GPU before but if it means skipping out on the launch rush (provided they don't actually try to charge me $1,200 for a 3080), I'll give em a shot.

Best Buy has product pages for the three FE cards and it says 3-year warranty. Haven't the FE cards typically had 1-year?

Yeah I’ll take the chance too. I mean it can’t hurt to put the order in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Always a good sign when nowinstock.net isn’t responding.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Are you guys just assuming that price will correct to $699? Is there any precedent for an Amazon pre-order that ridiculously overpriced?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shogunner posted:

Are you guys just assuming that price will correct to $699? Is there any precedent for an Amazon pre-order that ridiculously overpriced?

That is what I am assuming. If not its no big loss and I can just pull the order.

Its more of a last resort thing since I’d rather have the NVIDIA card TBH.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I suspect they’ll get yelled at by NVIDIA for allowing preorders, and cancel them all. But if not and as long as they reprice, Zotac it may well be for this generation!

E: sadly, we won’t know if we need the last resort until it has shipped, likely

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lol, some of you are tying up 1200 for a 3080? loving degenerates.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Subjunctive posted:

I suspect they’ll get yelled at by NVIDIA for allowing preorders, and cancel them all. But if not and as long as they reprice, Zotac it may well be for this generation!

E: sadly, we won’t know if we need the last resort until it has shipped, likely

yeah i think im just gonna pull an all nighter on the 17th lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sickening posted:

Amazon doesn’t charge until it ships, at least.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shogunner posted:

yeah i think im just gonna pull an all nighter on the 17th lol

I'm going to give it a good college try, but I won't lose sleep over not getting one at launch. I've been on my 970 for what, 6 or 7 years at this point? Another 3 months won't hurt me.

edit: Just checked my Amazon history, February 2015, so five and a half.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 5, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Amazon doesn’t charge until it ships, at least.

Yeah there is no fuckin way I'd actually tie up any money for this.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sickening posted:

With the stock market collapsing, I'm getting ready for the next crypto boom by preordering GPUs.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My GTX 660 was Zotac and it was perfectly fine, and is still running in a machine I built for a family member. I mean, that's a sample size of one from a few generations ago, but I would consider getting another card from them.

Out of the video cards I've bought in the last 11 years, I went from 3 EVGAs in a row to a Zotac to 2 Gigabytes in a row. Haven't had a problem with any of the cards, although the EVGA 9800 GTX might be dead - the last time I tried using it resulted in no boot, but I just grabbed a different card and didn't try troubleshooting it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

K8.0 posted:

With the stock market collapsing, I'm getting ready for the next crypto boom by preordering GPUs.

I like you. Your post is funny both if its sarcasm and if you are serious. It can't lose.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Amazon's Zotac 3080 page seems to have been taken down already, but it comes up in the search.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Almost Smart posted:

The page doesn’t work for me anymore but i got in like 2 minutes before it went down, got a 3080 and 3090, and they’re still successfully preordered. Fingers crossed

Taima fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Sickening posted:

Nope and you'd have known if you had read my post or the one I quoted, either one.

3090 listing has been removed. 3080 soon to follow, surely. I wanna get the FE 3080 anyway. I knew it in my heart when I let the Zotac order marinade for a while. I need to make "$700 but it came with half a blower" jokes, as it is integral to my premium gaming experience.