Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The worst thing Bendis has done at DC is making sure Super Sons can never happen again. The first run especially made me love Jon as a character, he really sold that he is just a normal kid. I thought he got aged up because Bendis wanted to use Connor but couldn't, but then he did that too so...

Definitely took what I thought was a great new character and made them yet another older teen hero who will inevitably be consigned to a forgettable Teen Titans run for eternity, at best.

He got aged up so his parents could send him to future boarding school with the Legion, so Clark and Lois can have quippy adventures without being saddled with a ten year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Harold Fjord posted:

A town where everyone is secretly a big city hero/villain could be pretty fun for a while. Batmans and jokers galore!

Top Ten but secret?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I mean, you could always bring back Chris Kent if you want another Super-Son, but I don't know if he even exists in the current continuity.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, you could always bring back Chris Kent if you want another Super-Son, but I don't know if he even exists in the current continuity.

I think he exists and is with the Zods? Not 100% sure though.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Harold Fjord posted:

A town where everyone is secretly a big city hero/villain could be pretty fun for a while. Batmans and jokers galore!

In addition to the other comparisons people made, I couldn't help but think of Avengers Standoff.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I don’t even read DC anymore, I just lurk this thread to get a chuckle out of whatever ridiculous poo poo they’re doing next. Are there multiple Harley Quinns yet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nemesis_hub posted:

I don’t even read DC anymore, I just lurk this thread to get a chuckle out of whatever ridiculous poo poo they’re doing next. Are there multiple Harley Quinns yet?

I believe White Knight and Injustice have both done this.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Rhyno posted:

Actually, only White Knight has done this- Injustice just did a regular old bog standard "alternate dimension that's basically us before we turned evil" variety in the comics

...It's good to be precise about these kinds of things.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 4, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rhyno posted:

I really liked this in White Knight. It does a lot to reconsile the Suicide Squad Harley Quinn and the one from her solo comedy series.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

why is it so hard to find a list of DC Comics in order of publication? I've decided just to begin reading Batfamily stuff post-Rebirth so I thought I'd try to find a list of comics in the order they were published and prune it to the books I'm interested in and basically everything I've found is someone else's bespoke list of trying to introduce people to DC Comics in general

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really liked this in White Knight. It does a lot to reconsile the Suicide Squad Harley Quinn and the one from her solo comedy series.

The real way to reconcile this is that her solo series isn't in continuity.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

The real way to reconcile this is that her solo series isn't in continuity.

It's not even a reconcilliation. It's explicitly stated or understood that it isn't canon, I believe.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
I'm reading the JLI Omnibus (Volume 1) and skipped ahead to one of my favourite JLE issues from when I was a kid. The JLE and Injustice League end up in the same night school French class. Anyway, its about as absurd as you can imagine, but still so stupidly funny.

Does anyone write stuff like that anymore? I like my grim dark DC comics (though this whole Metal thing isn't really my cup of tea) but is there a market for truly funny superhero comics anymore? Any recommendations?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I'm reading the JLI Omnibus (Volume 1) and skipped ahead to one of my favourite JLE issues from when I was a kid. The JLE and Injustice League end up in the same night school French class. Anyway, its about as absurd as you can imagine, but still so stupidly funny.

Does anyone write stuff like that anymore? I like my grim dark DC comics (though this whole Metal thing isn't really my cup of tea) but is there a market for truly funny superhero comics anymore? Any recommendations?

Hero Squared from Boom was pretty funny but it's been like 10 years since that ended. I'm out of touch on "funny" comics these days.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

It's kind of a stretch to call it a superhero comic, but Sex Criminals is very, very funny. Not in that same way though. It's also less common to see comedy issues show up in otherwise "serious" books, but there's some good comedy stuff from the big 2 as well. Amanda Conner's run on Harley Quinn was pretty good. Squirrel Girl over at Marvel was great.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She-Hulk's TPBs (2, I think) covering his lawyering was good stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

It's not even a reconcilliation. It's explicitly stated or understood that it isn't canon, I believe.

This is exactly why DC such a joyless mess most of the time.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Humor? In superhero books these days?!

Russell & Byrne's Wonder Twins and Humphries's Dial H For Hero are two recent lighthearted romps. Dial's biggest strength comes from Quinones's excellent riffing on different comic styles. Batman Universe has a fair amount of humor and errs toward Good Bendis, plus Derington kills it on art. Fraction & Lieber's Jimmy Olsen series is a drat laugh riot, do not skip it, it deserves so much more love.

Over at Marvel, seconding the Soule She-Hulk run, it's great. Same goes for Zdarsky's Howard The Duck, which has plenty of super cameos. Spencer & Lieber's Superior Foes of Spider-Man holds up great, too. Kibblesmith & Ortiz's Black Panther vs Deadpool had enough zingers that I thought it was cute.

Valiant's got super-comedy in spades. Van Lente/Henry Archer & Armstrong and Asmus/Fowler Quantum & Woody, recommendable in and of themselves, collide in The Delinquents, a fantastic humor crossover. Your mileage may vary in their respective follow-up series, which I thought were good to the characters but not necessarily as funny. Ivar, Timewalker from Van Lente & Henry is an excellent Doctor Who riff with plenty of humor and Valiant heroes popping in.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Oh DC has definitely improved a ton since New 52, thanks to Geoff Johns spearheading the very good Rebirth relaunch. Books definitely had a ton more fun from that point, but as his influence waned all the fun started crumbling away. Mark Russell is probably one of my favorite modern writers, and Flintstones, Snagglepuss, and Wonder Twins are three of my favorite books in years. Jimmy Olsen is another good recent book that was allowed to be really funny.

But I think that era is over at DC. I think the time for weird little books about non Justice League characters is just done.

It is a big part of why I have always been more of a Marvel guy. They almost always have fun in their books, and definitely have way more books that are overtly comedy based.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Okay but stick with The Terrifics while it's still here. Same goes for any Tom Taylor written stuff, he manages to take the most dour, cynical premises and infuse them with heart and humor. DCeased: Unkillables and At World's End can get downright wholesome in the face of a zombie apocalypse.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

why is it so hard to find a list of DC Comics in order of publication? I've decided just to begin reading Batfamily stuff post-Rebirth so I thought I'd try to find a list of comics in the order they were published and prune it to the books I'm interested in and basically everything I've found is someone else's bespoke list of trying to introduce people to DC Comics in general

https://www.comicbookherald.com/reading-dc-comics/batman-reading-order/amp/

Is ok. I've used a list if when books started publishing then I read a single issue corresponding to whatever month I am on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Looks like Batman: Black and White is making a come back in December and it already has a murder's row of creators. I remember loving the original Black and White stories with some really great artwork, so I am down for more. Line up is

Paul Dini & Andy Kubert
Tim Seeley & Kelley Jones
Emma Rios
John Arcudi & James Harren
Gabriel Hardman & Corinna Bechko
JH Williams III
Tom King & Mitch Gerads (of course)
G. Willow Wilson & Greg Smallwood
Sophie Campbell
David Aja
Dustin Weaver
Bilquis Evely
Joshua Williamson & Riley Rossmo
James Tynion IV & Tradd Moore
Lee Weeks
Chip Zdarsky & Nick Bradshaw
And many more!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Superboy Prime is back baby

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Everything is Thawne's fault.

Everything.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Everything is Thawne's fault.

Everything.

Getting the whole Flash Family back is really cool, but Thawne being responsible for so much seems extra dumb as a trade-off.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The idea of Reverse-Flash using some sort of extra-dimensional whisper influence ability seems like it'd be an interesting concept to attempt...once, very sparingly, as some sort of extraordinarily unique twist.

The idea that he's going around having everyone make bad decisions every week and like encouraging them to, Idunno, forget to take out the trash and stuff is...it's a lot.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

Has JH Williams done any other work for DC since Sandman Overture and the Batwoman fiasco? His bio on DC’s site still says he’s currently on that book :psyduck:

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Xelkelvos posted:

Getting the whole Flash Family back is really cool, but Thawne being responsible for so much seems extra dumb as a trade-off.

If this is what it takes for Wally to be treated better by creators going forward, I'll take it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

mrchoupon posted:

Has JH Williams done any other work for DC since Sandman Overture and the Batwoman fiasco? His bio on DC’s site still says he’s currently on that book :psyduck:

I think he just does fine art stuff now. Guys like him could just do infinite commission work if they felt like it anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BrianWilly posted:

The idea that he's going around having everyone make bad decisions every week and like encouraging them to, Idunno, forget to take out the trash and stuff is...it's a lot.

While the ability is a bit out of nowhere. Honestly doing poo poo like this is very in character for Thawne who is a super petty asshoel .

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
IT WAS ME BARRY! ALL OF IT! ME!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw that Superman was trending on Twitter.

I have no idea why, but I saw this tweet and I couldn't help but find it funny.

https://twitter.com/GreatKungLao/status/1304425129057935360?s=19

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Bendis run ending December.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bendis has got to be going back to Marvel, right?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

DON'T YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON THEM.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm just hoping it's part of Mark Waid's rumored move back to DC. Maybe he'll bring Morrison with him onto the Superman books, and they can do Superman 2000 sans Mark Millar, and twenty one years late.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

I wonder where he'll insert himself. At least I don't think he'll get to make the X-Men worse.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder where he'll insert himself. At least I don't think he'll get to make the X-Men worse.

Just immediately bring back the young version of the original five.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I'd actually be fine with that. The O5 X-Men were one of those Superior Spider-Man ideas where it was crap in its own book but other writers made them good in guest appearances or spinoff books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Cyclops beats Beast at a game of cards, and Hank has to unravel reality to show Scott how far gone he truly is.