Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Darth Brooks posted:

Am I misreading this?

Ben Solo would have been born after Jedi unless someone remember Leia hauling an infant around the cloud city.

You're misreading it. The Battle of Endor is in 4 ABY and the Battle of Jakku (which ended the war with the Empire) ended in 5 ABY just over a year later. Ben Solo was born immediately after the battle ended. The Mandalorian takes place in 9 ABY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

thrawn527 posted:

A trailer really can't come soon enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA4h2gRHEmU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Some good capitalisations in there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darth Brooks posted:

Am I misreading this?

Ben Solo would have been born after Jedi unless someone remember Leia hauling an infant around the cloud city.

I phrased it weird. The Battle of Yavin (not the birth of Ben) was 4 years before Return of the Jedi. Ben Solo was born 5 years after the Battle of Yavin, thus 1 year after Return of the Jedi.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mandalorian good. TLJ also good.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Mandalorian excellent. Rogue One good. Everything else Disney Star Wars varying flavours of pointless, mediocre or shite. Some rumours I read about Disney forcing reshoots of the second season of Mandalorian have me concerned.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Butterfly Valley posted:

Mandalorian excellent. Rogue One good. Everything else Disney Star Wars varying flavours of pointless, mediocre or shite. Some rumours I read about Disney forcing reshoots of the second season of Mandalorian have me concerned.

Never trust the rumor mill. Less than 48 hours before an air date for the season was announced there was a "rumor" that the whole thing was being delayed for reshoots after someone somewhere was dissatisfied with the season

1) the rumor mill doesn't know poo poo
2) reshoots are normal and happen on most productions of all sizes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
OK if the rumours came out before the air date was announced then that pours some water on them, although it's not like Disney have a good track record for not meddling

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Mandalorian good. TLJ also good.

:hmmyes:

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I mean TLJ is only good if you compare it to the rest of the sequel trilogy.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
All Disney Star Wars good (ranging from "excellent" to "fun but pointless") except TROS.

Can we all at least agree that TROS is a flaming pile of poo poo

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

There was no way TROS could have been good, or at least satisfying to everyone. It was doomed from the beginning unless they like, split it into two movies or something.

I will say this about TLJ: It introduced the updated A-Wing which is my favorite ship, and the hella cute pilot who flew it ;-*

Then, y'know... immediately blew them up

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

OldSenileGuy posted:

All Disney Star Wars good (ranging from "excellent" to "fun but pointless") except TROS.

TROS is the most fun and the most pointless. They had plenty of good Sheev ham. poo poo film, but extremely watchable popcorn flick.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
TLJ is the most times I’ve been disappointed during the initial viewing of a film. I basically just shrugged at every choice the film made and loudly booed everything they walked back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

OldSenileGuy posted:

No cause I've never seen it and probably never will so I shouldn't have an opinion on it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HardKase posted:

I mean TLJ is only good if you compare it to the rest of the sequel trilogy.

Nah, it's far and away the best film in the entire franchise

Bust Rodd posted:

TLJ is the most times I’ve been disappointed during the initial viewing of a film. I basically just shrugged at every choice the film made and loudly booed everything they walked back.

What did TLJ "walk back"? Are you thinking of TRoS?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It didn’t say that Rey was a Skywalker and Poe was an awesome Wedge Antilles 2.0 therefore it didn’t fulfill JJ’s vision.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

No cause I've never seen it and probably never will

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

We get it, you're better at watching films than us plebs who can't appreciate Rian Johnson's genius creation. Can we move on, we were so close to leaving behind TLJ discussion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

It didn’t say that Rey was a Skywalker and Poe was an awesome Wedge Antilles 2.0 therefore it didn’t fulfill JJ’s vision.

JJ made Poe a drug dealer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

JJ made Poe a drug dealer.

And also killed off the abuse survivor who thought he was too broken to ever go home. Ope.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope the Jawas make a return in season 2. Also, maybe Ewoks.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
One word: jawoks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phylodox posted:

One word: jawoks.

This sounds more like ewoks from New Jersey

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

OldSenileGuy posted:

The only good Disney Star Wars IMO is The Mandalorian and Rogue One. I thought the entire sequel trilogy was trash.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

God Tier Disney Starwar:
Mandolorian

Decent/watchable Tier:
Rogue One
TLJ
Clone Wars Season 7
Rebels
TFA

Bad tier:
Solo

Hell tier:
Rise of Skywalker
Resistance

The sequels are kind of hard to rate because as a trilogy they sort of live or die together and Rise of Skywalker was so lovely and turned the whole thing into a shaggy dog story, making the first two retroactively worse than however bad you thought they were.

I have spoken.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 5, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I wish they had the original cut of solo for comparison. It had good bones just poor execution.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Solo would have been a cool movie if Han, Chewie, and Lando weren't Han, Chewie, and Lando and were just brand new characters instead.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Solo is a lot of fun as a movie but not as fun as a star wars movie. The music is pretty good there's lots of fun designs and delightful scenes. It's like a sum is not as good as the parts situation.

Also I liked resistance 😩 I might be the only one but I swear the animation style is really good for star wars and they should make a rogue squadron animated show in that style!!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I don’t mind the animation style of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It’s just that every single time I’ve caught an episode of Resistance it’s felt nothing like Star Wars and I’ve been bored immediately.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

I wish they had the original cut of solo for comparison. It had good bones just poor execution.

Maybe if the Snyder Cut is a success we'll eventually get the Lord/Miller cut of Solo.

lol jk that'll never happen

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerkface posted:

Solo is a lot of fun as a movie but not as fun as a star wars movie. The music is pretty good there's lots of fun designs and delightful scenes. It's like a sum is not as good as the parts situation.

Also I liked resistance 😩 I might be the only one but I swear the animation style is really good for star wars and they should make a rogue squadron animated show in that style!!

Hazo posted:

I don’t mind the animation style of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It’s just that every single time I’ve caught an episode of Resistance it’s felt nothing like Star Wars and I’ve been bored immediately.

Yeah, the animation style was really cool. It's *waves hands around* everything else that was pretty terrible about the show.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OldSenileGuy posted:

Maybe if the Snyder Cut is a success we'll eventually get the Lord/Miller cut of Solo.

lol jk that'll never happen

Probably not because Lord & Miller reportedly were taken off the job because nobody liked their work. An anonymous actor interviewed by Vulture said Ron Howard didn’t change their script but Lord & Miller were doing insane numbers of takes for no real reason and seeming to not understand how they were supposed to shoot a Star Wars film.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only thing I recognize them from is they were producers on Spider-Verse, which is one of my favorite films of all time.

But Han is the worst main character and I don’t understand why anyone ever liked him TBH. Seems like he’s just a rude rear end in a top hat who gets captured and then he dies like a punk baby after being a lovely dad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Lord & Miller brought the directing style of shooting a comedy to Solo; multiple takes, encouraging improvisation and extemporaneous jokes, etc.

Absolutely a valid way to make a movie, but maybe not the best fit for a multimillion dollar blockbuster on a strict deadline.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bust Rodd posted:

The only thing I recognize them from is they were producers on Spider-Verse, which is one of my favorite films of all time.
They also did the LEGO movie which was far better than it had any right to be.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They also did the LEGO movie which was far better than it had any right to be.

And 21 Jump Street, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatball, and Cone High.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The Solo movie gave us Childish Landino Calrissian and if they can make more movies or shows with him in it then that’d be great. I liked Solo in that it was just a dumb fun movie.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

jivjov posted:

Lord & Miller brought the directing style of shooting a comedy to Solo; multiple takes, encouraging improvisation and extemporaneous jokes, etc.

Absolutely a valid way to make a movie, but maybe not the best fit for a multimillion dollar blockbuster on a strict deadline.

That sounds like the making of Iron Man, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ringo Star Get posted:

The Solo movie gave us Childish Landino Calrissian and if they can make more movies or shows with him in it then that’d be great. I liked Solo in that it was just a dumb fun movie.

Are people really not over saturated on Donald Glover yet? Why does he have to be the most talented and acclaimed musician, actor, director, writer, comedian in all of Hollywood? I thought I was a big fan but like... drat dude take a breather