Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bismuth posted:

I'm half mexican but for some reason all my dads melanin skipped me and went to my brother so I've always been in a confused position as far as to what I "am". No doubt that I'm my dad's daughter, my bone structure/facial features are 100% his, but being a weird mutt in a country so obsessed with race is a strange experience. I always have this weird feeling like i need to categorize myself, but in a way other people will accept? Saying I'm white feels weird because I'm like a recolor of my dad, but i have pale skin and auburn hair so idk. Being american is weird.
palette swap

e: wow that's a lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

snergle posted:

what about my fellow braclet wearing stew eatters

Is this the bisexual culture I keep hearing about on Twitter?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not really difficult at all to swamp other boats in your boat's wake if you're drunk and driving fast close to other boats, say, in some sort of boat parade.

Fittingly, the largest most expensive boats may have been the primary culprits of swamping the boats of the lower classes.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

christmas boots posted:

name a time and place for our duel

OwlFancier posted:

If you don't nail it it will fall off, that's how horsehsoes work.
YOU DON'T SAY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not really difficult at all to swamp other boats in your boat's wake if you're drunk and driving fast close to other boats, say, in some sort of boat parade.

Fittingly, the largest most expensive boats may have been the primary culprits of swamping the boats of the lower classes.

I bet a bunch of it is people who've had their boat dry docked for a few years and didn't bother to double check that they still floated.

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

I find the whole 'I am XXXX ethnicity 'cos of ancestors' thing that some people from the U.S. do very interesting - mainly because I'm english scum.
I think I'm english - grew up here, have an Anglo-Saxon surname - an old one, so I win!, but it counts for nothing, apart from people who don't know how to say it or correct my pronounciation of my own name (which has happened - some posh bint telling me that I don't know how to say my name - go gently caress yourself backwards, you gently caress. If I want to state my name using triangles and pastry, I can - it's my loving name!). Anyway..

I've been told by my not 'english' friends (black or south asian) that I'm not really english 'cos I don't look english(?) - I'm something else, which I found intriguing. I asked my mother - no idea about my dad - long absent, so there's a path to wander. But my mother's mum had dark hair and was dark skinned - which puts her in a huge swathe of humanity, a lot of which would not be classed as english by the bigots of the nation I'm in. Why is this interesting to me? Because culturally I'm english, my points of reference and understanding are based on the land I grew up in. My sense of identity is where I'm from not what I came from. But I've met a few Americans who are 'Irish' or 'Scottish' depsite having no clue about the culture they claim. As to my being English - not really even that, to be honest. I grew up in a very deprived part of the UK, so knowing that they hate my existence, I hate them back more - gently caress the idea of englishness. Bunch of dicks who I'm glad are finally coming to their end. Patriotism is a weird idea.
Back to the point - I find it hard to understand how anyone can claim an ethnic identity, without having any contact or understanding of what that entails. If you've never been to Ireland, lived amongst the Irish or lived their lives, how can you claim to be Irish? Or whatever identity you wish to claim. Just don't get that, I'm afraid.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
My family originally comes from a small town in what was Austria but after WWI became part of Italy. I like to tease my friends who identify heavily with their Italian ethnicity that I too am Italian even though my family left that place nearly 200 years before it became Italy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Scratch Monkey posted:

My family originally comes from a small town in what was Austria but after WWI became part of Italy. I like to tease my friends who identify heavily with their Italian ethnicity that I too am Italian even though my family left that place nearly 200 years before it became Italy.

Like half of my ancestry is from countries that didn't technically exist when my great-grandwhatevers came over. Which means I'm actually from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Neat.

I think to celebrate, I'll... um... dang, can't really think of a stereotype... I guess I'll get broken up after the first world war?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

vdarknight posted:

Back to the point - I find it hard to understand how anyone can claim an ethnic identity, without having any contact or understanding of what that entails. If you've never been to Ireland, lived amongst the Irish or lived their lives, how can you claim to be Irish? Or whatever identity you wish to claim. Just don't get that, I'm afraid.

The point, for Americans, is that their parents/grandparents actually did have remnant cultures from their parents/grandparents that were first-generation immigrants. They also usually lived in small towns or somewhat insular communities. There really were irish and italian ghettos within a generation or two of now. There really are parts of Texas where older people speak German or Czech to this day. The current 2-3 generations of people that exist and are doing that are doing so out of cultural inertia, and that is becoming its own sort of cultural signifier as well. It's a unique situation because since then, people have moved and spread out and culturally acclimated to one that is very, very different than the one their grandparents or great grandparents grew up in before they immigrated. They were also maligned and demeaned by the Anglo-Saxons who started the U.S., and that made cultural heritage a point of pride.

I also think its silly, but it's also ridiculously easy to understand if you take even half a second to think about why a nation of immigrants might not have the same idea of country-specific heritage as a nation that's existed since Rome fell.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Be proud of your ancestry and love yourselves. Take care, everyone.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

oldpainless posted:

Be proud of your ancestry and love yourselves. Take care, everyone.

Don't tell me what to do.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SpacePig posted:

Don't tell me what to do.

Forgive me.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
https://twitter.com/RichardGrenell/status/1302269512079769600

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

:thunk:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

Like half of my ancestry is from countries that didn't technically exist when my great-grandwhatevers came over. Which means I'm actually from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Neat.

I think to celebrate, I'll... um... dang, can't really think of a stereotype... I guess I'll get broken up after the first world war?

I used to work at a fort that was used as an internment camp in Ontario in the Great War. For, you know, "enemy national" immigrants. Most of them were austro-hungarians but neither austrian or hungarian.

Captain Monkey posted:

The point, for Americans, is that their parents/grandparents actually did have remnant cultures from their parents/grandparents that were first-generation immigrants. They also usually lived in small towns or somewhat insular communities. There really were irish and italian ghettos within a generation or two of now. There really are parts of Texas where older people speak German or Czech to this day. The current 2-3 generations of people that exist and are doing that are doing so out of cultural inertia, and that is becoming its own sort of cultural signifier as well. It's a unique situation because since then, people have moved and spread out and culturally acclimated to one that is very, very different than the one their grandparents or great grandparents grew up in before they immigrated. They were also maligned and demeaned by the Anglo-Saxons who started the U.S., and that made cultural heritage a point of pride.

I also think its silly, but it's also ridiculously easy to understand if you take even half a second to think about why a nation of immigrants might not have the same idea of country-specific heritage as a nation that's existed since Rome fell.

Yeah I'm going back to my best buddy from school. My dad is actually an immigrant and my mom's a jew so I didn't get to experience the white person ethnicity conflict for myself. He lived and grew up with his irish-from-Ireland grandma, our parents' generation are the type to say "wait aren't they catholic? I mean, not that that's a bad thing, but..." and kids our age still said poo poo like "there's christian and then there's catholic." And we're not even 30. There's more going on than just americans b dumm.

Now yeah, full on plastic paddie and that kind of thing is stupid, but there's more going on than just generic white people inventing stuff from the ether.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Sep 5, 2020

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
my favorite thing about richard grenell is that he looks like one of those random trump-lover bot accounts with a generic white dude wearing shades avatar and everything, but he's actually part of the trump admin

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powered Descent posted:

I guess I'll get broken up after the first world war?

It was a sad time for all of us.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This is an autobiography excerpt rather than social media, but just wow.

https://thestreetjournal.org/2020/09/barbara-amiel-takes-revenge-on-the-elite-who-spurned-her/

quote:

When we sold our Manhattan apartment, for instance, I sighed with relief. Here I come, Chanel, I thought. Just one last jacket. But the cheque was seized on the spot by two FBI men. [Much later, we would get the money back, because it was legally ours.] brackets original

At another point, I co-signed a loan for 32 million Canadian dollars. What if Conrad died or became incapacitated by a stroke? What would I do to repay $32 million? I had no idea.

You aren’t quite sure which friends will cut you until it happens and you find yourself with a smile and an outstretched hand falling back limply to your side.

Looking for succour, about a week after Conrad’s forced resignation as Hollinger CEO, I spotted Ghislaine Maxwell at a reception. She had been importuning my friendship before our crash with repeat invites for us to go to the island owned by Jeffrey Epstein — yet to be accused of being a paedophile. Putting on my ‘so good to see you’ face, I headed for her.

She bolted. Turned that sharp tight little turn when you really want to get away, and that was it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Jesus Christ that woman writes like garbage. How the gently caress was she a successful journalist?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

1stGear posted:

Jesus Christ that woman writes like garbage. How the gently caress was she a successful journalist?

The same way all other people are successful journalists. Coming from money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weirdly when everyone else who makes the big bucks in your field is also a failchild who can't write for poo poo they have a weird idea of what constitutes good at your job.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who could have possibly realized making it a requirement to live and work in Manhattan for free for several years in order to get paying work later makes your hiring pool not entirely merit based?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Forgive me.

You’re still telling him what to do!

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Captain Monkey posted:

This exactly. I grew up in a small town with lots of Scandinavians. Like 1st Gen immigrants are still alive. It was fairly common to hear Swedish or Norwegian get spoken. The churches were heavily influenced by this, there were several festivals around the heritage, businesses built around it, even the industry was influenced by the shear number of Scandinavians the town hosted.

I am only like an eighth Finnish, but I grew up very much identifying with the culture (or at least that particular enclaves' variant) and being proud of it.

Ethnic enclaves are very much a thing that preserve a snapshot in history of a culture along with a blending of the culture of the nation it's in. A lot of Americans were raised in ethnic enclaves, so of course they identify with the culture.

Again, separate from "plastic paddies.". Those people are just ridiculous.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Someone posted this saying she's sad because she misses her husband who's on deployment:

I get the sentiment, but... I don't have the heart to tell her it's a quote from Butters on South Park.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skwirl posted:

Holy poo poo.

Yeah, that's some really bad artifacting.

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Huh - that makes sense. I've got some friends from South Asia and some from the Caribbean who still have a sense of belonging to there, despite never visited, because to their parents it means something.
I guess my bafflement is that I'm english sub-working class and we don't really have a culture anymore. My cultural identity is a blank, so I have no attachment to something that doesn't exist. But I guess if you actually have a history or culture you can relate to and have a sense of contact through relatives, then it would be a tangible part of your life.
Weird - I live in the purportedly historic UK, but have no history I can claim. But then I'm very low class scum and probably don't count for a drat thing.
All power to your heritage! (as long as you don't get racially odd about it - then go gently caress yourselves)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

vdarknight posted:

I guess my bafflement is that I'm english sub-working class and we don't really have a culture anymore. My cultural identity is a blank, so I have no attachment to something that doesn't exist. But I guess if you actually have a history or culture you can relate to and have a sense of contact through relatives, then it would be a tangible part of your life.
Weird - I live in the purportedly historic UK, but have no history I can claim. But then I'm very low class scum and probably don't count for a drat thing.
All power to your heritage! (as long as you don't get racially odd about it - then go gently caress yourselves)

You guys used to know how to have a loving riot. Admittedly not as good as the French, but they're the LeBron of civil unrest.

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

You guys used to know how to have a loving riot. Admittedly not as good as the French, but they're the LeBron of civil unrest.

Amusingly, I'm from Wood End, Coventry. Search it and look at some of the images. We would riot very regularly - every summer would be hilarious - but it was rarely reported. I think it was assumed that was how we behaved and to an extent, it was. But often not from a sense of social injustice. We knew that we were loathed and took an odd pride in that. But when an estate of ne'er-do-wells get bored and hot - well, poo poo happens. I have seen some amazing sights. A double-decker with the top floor completely ablaze just driving down my street. A good number of cop vehicles abandoned and trashed - the cops ran and we showed our appreciation to their assets. You could get police tit helmets traded very easily for a while after that.
But then crack happened. People died. Turns out it's quite easy to quell dissent. Just give them drugs and the issue resolves itself.

Course I'm no longer in Wood End - some of my current acquaintances even think I'm moderately respectable. But I'm not..

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

vdarknight posted:

Amusingly, I'm from Wood End, Coventry. Search it and look at some of the images. We would riot very regularly - every summer would be hilarious - but it was rarely reported. I think it was assumed that was how we behaved and to an extent, it was. But often not from a sense of social injustice. We knew that we were loathed and took an odd pride in that. But when an estate of ne'er-do-wells get bored and hot - well, poo poo happens. I have seen some amazing sights. A double-decker with the top floor completely ablaze just driving down my street. A good number of cop vehicles abandoned and trashed - the cops ran and we showed our appreciation to their assets. You could get police tit helmets traded very easily for a while after that.
But then crack happened. People died. Turns out it's quite easy to quell dissent. Just give them drugs and the issue resolves itself.

Course I'm no longer in Wood End - some of my current acquaintances even think I'm moderately respectable. But I'm not..

All riots are either from a sense of social injustice or a mob killing committing a localized genocide.

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

All riots are either from a sense of social injustice or a mob killing committing a localized genocide.

Oh, you are probably very right, but I doubt we could have articulated our sense of social injustice that well. But to stick two fingers up the cops and authorities and trash our own area - dead easy. There was often a sense of tactical planning. I remember one year a street was closed off at both ends with council 'Men at work' signs and it took a few days before those in charge noticed. The cops came down in vans, and when they got to the middle of the street, more barricades appeared and they got bottled the gently caress out of them. They didn't win that one - they ran, but of course came back with bigger toys to stomp us. It was a game - just a very odd one.
Course this is in the days before CCTV was so prevalent - nowadays, there'd be tons of video of my neighbours being idiots all over social media, if they weren't all long gone.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, that's some really bad artifacting.

Jessica Krug is the most recent white women to have pretended to be a black woman, down to skin darkening makeup to make her look black, for points

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Skwirl posted:

Does a sports victory/defeat count as one of those?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

Does a sports victory/defeat count as one of those?

Mea culpa.

There are three types of riots.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

vdarknight posted:

Huh - that makes sense. I've got some friends from South Asia and some from the Caribbean who still have a sense of belonging to there, despite never visited, because to their parents it means something.

Every place has a culture, it's often just more difficult to see if you are yourself from the mainstream culture of the place you live.

Andrast has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Sep 6, 2020

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

theironjef posted:

Maybe he's going to expand on this thought:
https://twitter.com/adamcarolla/status/1293773434753753088?s=20

I mean, I sure hope so.

Is stew considered some esoteric manly food? Isn't it just a common food? You could just as easily say "More American males now wear bracelets than eat soup" and why do you need the two spaces after bracelets!!!

Carolla sucks.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lobsterminator posted:

Is stew considered some esoteric manly food? Isn't it just a common food? You could just as easily say "More American males now wear bracelets than eat soup" and why do you need the two spaces after bracelets!!!

Carolla sucks.

He workshopped that tweet for a long time and that was the best he could come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there also an adam civic and an adam celica?