Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

No way Caps hire Babcock, Leonsis must’ve owed somebody a favor at the league office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I've seen some hot takes, and bad takes, but hot AND bad takes?

https://twitter.com/EditorinLeaf/status/1302079249470324738?s=19

https://twitter.com/TheOakLeafs/status/1302344619850706945?s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LumpyGumby posted:

https://twitter.com/EditorinLeaf/status/1302079249470324738?s=19

lmao that is spicy as hell

E: lol of course it's some fansided site

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Fire AV

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Fire Therrien

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

LumpyGumby posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOakLeafs/status/1302344619850706945?s=19

This one is in jest, but it's hard to argue -- Nylander is about to embark on near-100 point seasons.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Nylander is a leaf and therefore can only ever be bad at hockey. I don't make the rules or really understand them but this is what they always said.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Not to like point out the obvious any more than it already has been nor to twist the knife for Philly fans, but seriously what the hell was that game 7 last night? :stare: Like honestly I just saw a team that was thoroughly out-coached but is that really all it was?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Leafs Nation take are kind of a loving joke and why I just cannot take the team, it's media and fanbase particularly seriously most of the time. Like speaking as a Habs fan we have our special fans, but I get a far more overall realistic hockey scene take vibe from the Habs scene or just about any other even at their worst. It's like.....to put it a different way, the general Leafs scene will talk the same amount of poo poo no matter how good or bad things are going for the team or season at the moment whereas the Habs scene will talk poo poo....but like also at the problems even if Bergevin doesn't seem to be listening. The Leafs Nation scene always ALWAYS seems to insist though that they have a far better team than they actually do (even when they sucked loving poo poo before landing Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Tavares basically back to back and still running into problems regularly), whereas I don't think there's any misunderstanding about the sort of team the Habs or say Ottawa etc. have at the moment.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 6, 2020

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

All fans and sports writers are delusional. You just view it differently because it's a team you don't cheer for, and also because there's so many more Leafs fans than fans of other teams. If more people cared about the Panthers, you'd hate them too.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the waffles symbolised all the dents they were going to put in opposing defenses.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Twin Cinema posted:

All fans and sports writers are delusional. You just view it differently because it's a team you don't cheer for, and also because there's so many more Leafs fans than fans of other teams. If more people cared about the Panthers, you'd hate them too.

leafs fans are a special kind of delusional. You just can't see it because it's the team you cheer for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Nah I live in Montreal and you guys are still the worst.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aphrodite posted:

Nah I live in Montreal and you guys are still the worst.

Montreal's fans are much more polished.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

*wins 3 games*

is it just me or does it feel like 1993 to you guys?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kale posted:

Not to like point out the obvious any more than it already has been nor to twist the knife for Philly fans, but seriously what the hell was that game 7 last night? :stare: Like honestly I just saw a team that was thoroughly out-coached but is that really all it was?

Coots was on an injured MCL, TK didn't show up basically at all, and Montreal and the Isles are teams designed to give the flyers fits. I think they were just out of gas as much as anything.

The Power Play is garbage and it doesn't help when you can't practice between games to work on it.

The Flyers are ultimately a good team who's still early on with their window opening. This was a rough series and they should have been better, but for once it was nice to see them do more than just bow out in boring fashion in the 1st round. AV's challenges didn't help, sure, but there was more than just his coaching.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Kale posted:

As a Canucks fan who watched a lot of AV era, it looked familiar

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

“Editor in Leaf” is a known insane person and has 1/10th the followers of the guy that used to edit the third best Leafs fan blog, we don’t need to pretend that trawling the dregs of the Internet for bottom-feeding takes is representative of a fan base.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

“Editor in Leaf” is a known insane person and has 1/10th the followers of the guy that used to edit the third best Leafs fan blog, we don’t need to pretend that trawling the dregs of the Internet for bottom-feeding takes is representative of a fan base.

Nah I live near Toronto and the Leafs have the worst fans of all Canadian sports teams.

I used to say Sens fans were the worst but I dont think any of those exist in the wild any more.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

DJExile posted:

The Power Play is garbage and it doesn't help when you can't practice between games to work on it.

I also think it's Bullshit that the Flyers were the only team that didn't get to practice between games.

But seriously they looked scary right before the world ended and I imagine it's disappointing but in the end gently caress the Flyers, everyone hates Philly dot gif

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Nah I live near Toronto and the Leafs have the worst fans of all Canadian sports teams.

I used to say Sens fans were the worst but I dont think any of those exist in the wild any more.

Leafs fans are terrible and I go out of my way to not talk hockey with anyone in this town, it’s true. But come on, fewer people follow that guy than random Marlies centremen.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Well, I guess I have lost this pissing contest. You got me again, level-headed SASers.

Also, saying that I cheer for the Leafs is actually an insult. Nothing I do amounts to cheering for this team.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just think, we could have had a Flyers-Bruins conference final. What a shame!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dumba won King Clancy award

Deserved

Kale
May 14, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I think it's like 90% The Sun and Rosie DiManno Star articles and being in market for them in some fairness. One is just a lovely right wing tabloid by nature so your just gonna get the really bad hot takes in general and like every coffee shop, bistro, Subway and Tim Hortons around the GTA seems to be subscribed to them for reading material. The other is just a sensationalist hot take machine that was and probably still is employed by the Star to right "color" opinion articles about a variety of topics that are always wretchedly bad.

I've frankly never seen any columnist in Canada for a major mainstream newspaper talk more poo poo than Rosie DiManno though besides maybe Damien Cox. Like I remember when I used to still get the star I could do one of those look at the headlines and tell it was written by DiManno things just for the sensationalist rhetoric and that it was almost always a call out article she had no business writing about really. Like I'd love to know what she's done in life and where she's at that she feels entitles her to the position to judge well....everything.

Again though these were far from the only cases of "Leafs Nation" sportswriting but by far the worst and I can't think of too many equivalents for other Hockey teams in print form.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 7, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kale posted:

Not twisting a knife, they were bad and hopefully will be better in future years.

Flyinglemur posted:

I also think it's Bullshit that the Flyers were the only team that didn't get to practice between games.

But seriously they looked scary right before the world ended and I imagine it's disappointing but in the end gently caress the Flyers, everyone hates Philly dot gif

Man, didn’t know the Flyers had less practice time. That sucks.

Also, Philly rules , deal with it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Kale posted:

AV is completely unable to alter his gameplan or bring a sense of urgency to his team.

His gimmick works pretty good at first but he's so frustratingly stubborn about adapting to anything.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Levitate posted:

AV is completely unable to alter his gameplan or bring a sense of urgency to his team.

His gimmick works pretty good at first but he's so frustratingly stubborn about adapting to anything.

No different with the Canucks. When it works, it's awesome, but he seemed unable to adapt to changing circumstances,

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
A hairy man in a stained Jays jersey approached me on the street once to let me know the Leafs had acquired Ron Hainsey and that was going to make them a real contender.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

A hairy man in a stained Jays jersey approached me on the street once to let me know the Leafs had acquired Ron Hainsey and that was going to make them a real contender.

Was it Ron Hainsey?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/mannyelk/status/1302995822834069504?s=21

Wise decisions

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I love the #MondayMotivation because uh, in what way is that even slightly inspiring?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Big Michael Scott vibes from that quote.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1303118185315463168

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Account4hockey/status/1302451721189371904?s=20

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What are you supposed to do in the bubble? Watch film the whole time?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1303116436861321216

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lindblom got robbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lindblom got robbed
I don't know if overcoming a robbery meets the criteria for the Masterton.