Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Deep talking about how he was eight and he could hear all the goldfish begging for their lives was some :stare: poo poo. It's like the Sixth Sense but with fish. God, could you imagine the wails of anguish from all those poor mall hermit crabs?

Also saw a post release trailer just now with a very quick shot of Homelander sweeping his laser vision through? Over? A crowd. I think it's probably immediately following the scene where he lasers a soldier who was flipping him off. I guess the military rank and file must be angry with him and he just loses his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something i love about this show is I have no idea where anything is going.

It's hard to me to believe this is NYC because god drat that's just the Toronto Subway, I know that thing like my own bathroom.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if Stormfront's power is literally coming from her social media following, the attention of millions channeled into electricity.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CeeJee posted:

I wonder if Stormfront's power is literally coming from her social media following, the attention of millions channeled into electricity.

It's funny cause in the comic everyone gets their powers from V (just like here, I presume), but the "official" superhero origins are all over the place to mimic "our" supes, to the point that if I remember correctly Stormfront is supposed to be a/descend from some Norse god and Jack from Jupiter (Martian Manhunter standin in the 7, replaced by Translucent in the series) is supposed to be an alien. And of course you still have the Believe event and all the faux evangelical "God made supes" people too.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Homelander is powered by the dawning realisation of Americans recreating that Mitchell and Webb ‘are we the baddies’ sketch. It’s very meta.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
"Shut your trap, or else I'll bollocks ya."

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I really like that Butcher's abbrasiveness is getting called out by the team.

The idea of Hugie being a moral canary for the group is a neat way to address his relative "naivety" without just making him slowly become a jaded arsehole like Butcher.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Rando posted:

he is a gross beautiful fish man. The end. Half the combined subplots of the fist three episodes is him coming to terms with being a gross beautiful fish man.

Ftfy. :swoon:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also feel like we’re getting more out of MM from the first 3 episodes than we really got all last season. MM has this obviously loving, paternal energy that seems to have power over all the other men in the team. Everyone LOVES MM!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Counter-counterpoint: Don't watch the second season, its awful.

First season was great though.

Okay. That might be true.

And yes, the show is called Happy, not Lucky. :v:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

It was fish eggs

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Small White Dragon posted:

What was the deal in ep 1 where the Deep gets up and there was some weird goop under him? Considering there's a momentary focus on it I assume it's important.

I think it's just gum and meant to be representative of the fact that the Deep wallows in his own self-pity so much that he overlooks basic things (like looking at your seat before you take it) that could spare him more public embarrassment.

Same thing where the 7 all meet up on the beach after the whale dies. He's so wrapped up in his new religious bullshit and self-redemption that he can't even bother to be more careful in how he speaks to Starlight - thus making an already bad situation worse.

Bust Rodd posted:

I also feel like we’re getting more out of MM from the first 3 episodes than we really got all last season. MM has this obviously loving, paternal energy that seems to have power over all the other men in the team. Everyone LOVES MM!

It's nice that they balance him stepping up to hold the group together with him still being an obvious bullshitter at times.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Deep is breaking my heart because while I understand that this is a very high-concept dramady... Deep was SOOOOO CLOSE to getting it! His apology started so strong. “What I did was disgusting and hosed up and I’ll never be able to fix it or make things better and I’m sorry.” and for I second I thought “hey maybe we’ll get a frank exchange and oh no it’s the cult bullshit goddammit” BOOOOOOOO.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Given that Starlight's powers seem to 'leech' energy from local electrical appliances and shoot it in a hadoken, I'm looking forward to when she throws down with Stormfront. Just wait till Stormfront is blasting lightning that gets hoovered up and blasted right back at her!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Lucky? Oswalt? You mean Happy?

Yea

Arglebargle III posted:

Do not watch Lucky it is a bad show.

Nah it’s great. It’s got consistently inventive action slapstick choreography that’s rare for a tv show and anyone who enjoys the Boys more absurd comic books moments will absolutely get a kick out of it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do not watch Happy it is bad.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

"Shut your trap, or else I'll bollocks ya."

lol.

This is such a fun show.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Arglebargle III posted:

It works as a canonical sequel to Law and Order: SVU

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Butcher is the best character
When we’re all done here, I’ll buy you a nice, big, family size bottle of top shelf lube and I’ll tickle your balls till you beg me to stop and even then I won’t.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone else get the impression that Urban’s scripts don’t give him any dialogue this season, he just sees

BUTCHER:
*VAMP*

On his pages?

I also sort of don’t buy that he doesn’t outright kill Huey with that sucker punch.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Karl Urban looks like he's having the most fun of his career, and it's been an eventful career.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I think Karl Urban does a great job of making a character who is, plot-wise, incredibly loathsome, into an interesting and relatable screen presence without ever overshadowing the loathsomeness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpaceCommie posted:

I really like that Butcher's abbrasiveness is getting called out by the team.

The idea of Hugie being a moral canary for the group is a neat way to address his relative "naivety" without just making him slowly become a jaded arsehole like Butcher.

When Butcher hit Hugie I was like "dude, loving HIT HIM BACK"

I was soooo happy when he did exactly that on the boat.

Bust Rodd posted:

I may like MM more than Hugie or Butcher, and I like them both a lot. The core boys are all fantastic, Frenchie and Kimiko are good together.

The twist of Kimiko's brother being the supe terrorist worked really well for some natural drama both inside and outside the team.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Karl Urban looks like he's having the most fun of his career, and it's been an eventful career.

I really didn't like Urban as Eomer in Lord of the Rings and of course the whole of Chronicles of Riddick was a waste, but he's been continually super solid since getting cast in Star Trek where he's a perfect DeForest Kelley. Then he does Dredd, the much underrated Almost Human, and now this.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I think Karl Urban does a great job of making a character who is, plot-wise, incredibly loathsome, into an interesting and relatable screen presence without ever overshadowing the loathsomeness.

They are really pushing hard on Butcher being a FYGM-used-car-salesman in the TV series COMIC SPOILER from the get go, so that it's going to be way less dramatic when he betrays everyone.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 6, 2020

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's the convention on spoilers? You guys are spoilering both aired content and comic spoilers.

Also, is the show following the comic? Are comic spoilers solid? :colbert:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did I miss something that explains Stormfront's promotion given her social media bullshit? I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Edgar had a secret reason that will be revealed later or whatever, but it seems odd that no one is questioning why they're doing all this myth-making PR if management is just going to promote someone whose primary shtick is tearing all that down. Like, what's Starlight or Homelander or anyone's subjective understanding of why Vought would work at cross-purposes with itself like that, whatever the hidden plot reasons might end up being?

My guess? Coup via Race War. Stormfront's murderously racist. Homelander's pushing soup solidarity.

Then Edgar dies of raw hubris. With his last breath... "But I'm rich!"

Then a rainbow coalition of soups defeats the coup.

P.S. I'm going with, "soup," because gently caress em'

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't mind all the spoilers until next Friday then I hope we just go to standard tviv not needing spoilers rules. I hate reading threads that look like CIA foia release

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Accretionist posted:

What's the convention on spoilers? You guys are spoilering both aired content and comic spoilers.

The show is following some comic beats, but the plot has change in significant ways. Also, the show's story focuses much more on mocking corporate culture instead of superhero conventions.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

SardonicTyrant posted:

The show is following some comic beats, but the plot has change in significant ways.

Nice!

quote:

Also, the show's story focuses much more on mocking corporate culture instead of superhero conventions.

It feels like political commentary at times. Elite privilege/narcissism? Above-the-law depravity, corruption and criminality? All transposed onto super heroes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Accretionist posted:

Its pulling from it, but has already very clearly diverged from the comic plot so anything is possible and jokers are wild

Also in general Garth Ennis works need to be edited a bit when you adapt them, guy goes a bit too far sometimes

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Accretionist posted:

Everything is fair game after it's released / aired. I assume people are just using spoiler tags over the weekend to be nice.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

It's been a long time since I read the comics but show Butcher seems much better-written in terms of being an rear end in a top hat that still has sympathetic moments / occasionally does the right thing. Comics Butcher was pretty much completely irredeemable from the jump and if anything the writing seemed to revel in it. The whole bit with Hughie being a moral canary in the coalmine seems like they're going to take that into a more complex direction, which I'm down for.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't listen to this person, they are bad

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, comic Butcher was single-minded in his pursuit to Kill All Capes and everything he did was towards that goal.

Here, he's got a little more going on.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Also, Butcher has the dog that he trained to hump people, which is...probably not going to be in the show.

They're going to include it in the show and it will somehow be hilarious

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know what show we're talking about here, but I kinda hope they keep with the whole "Stormfront is a Neo-Nazi hiding in plain sight" thing and don't go over the top and have her have a memorabilia fetish room and an American History X-style swastika tattoo somewhere on her.

Of course, probably *both* of those things and more will happen, but still, it's a more powerful metaphor with her playing the "snarky liberal feminist virtue signaler who's secretly a minority-killing Nazi" character.

You what? Her whole speech lambasting Girls Get It Done, her whole "what does it matter what parts we have (hello, cisnormativity)" speech, her calling other little girls "sluts" for dressing like Disney Princesses?

Considering her comic origins, and this show's trend of being ripped from the headlines, she's definitely a 21st century alt righter:

Ostensibly fed up with corporate sloganeering, rebelling against a neutered media sphere, "saying what everyone's afraid to"—all as a smokescreen for her goal of pushing the Overton window to her point of view.

She, in-text, vocally hates virtue signaling.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

We Know Catheters posted:

Don't listen to this person, they are bad

no, this guy is the bad one

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about this Lucky show.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I've watched the first 2 episodes for the new season and I just find all the arguing and angst with nearly every scene with The Boys (the good guys) is pretty tiring.

Is that how you punch up weak dialogue? Just shout it angrily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah 2 eps in and loving it but the titular Boys are the weakest part of the first 2 eps

Firing up number 3, fingers crossed!!