Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
CG blood/squibs on humans is such a stain on movies and TV. It always looks soooooo dogshit, and it will only get worse w upscaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

The Martian's got four titties.

:eng101: Fun fact: she was supposed to have that many, originally, but when Veorhoven saw an early version of the prosthetic he thought it looked too much like she would have had cow udders instead of human breasts and they decided to go to three titties

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

For the dudes who were looking for the Total Recall steelbook pre-order, it's currently up on Best Buy's site for twenty bucks.

The Cameo posted:

:eng101: Fun fact: she was supposed to have that many, originally, but when Veorhoven saw an early version of the prosthetic he thought it looked too much like she would have had cow udders instead of human breasts and they decided to go to three titties
And this is why Paul Verhoeven is a director of great films.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Apparently They Live is getting a 4K from Shout! While “They Live” is insanely prescient for today, it’s also not John’s biggest movie. I’d assume that The Thing is probably gonna happen sooner than later then.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Apparently They Live is getting a 4K from Shout! While “They Live” is insanely prescient for today, it’s also not John’s biggest movie. I’d assume that The Thing is probably gonna happen sooner than later then.

Halloween is his biggest movie. But I guess I'm being pedantic because Shout! has never done a release of that and I assume they never will.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They have actually. They released a box set not that long ago.

Individually no. I don’t think they have the rights.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

They have actually. They released a box set not that long ago.

Individually no. I don’t think they have the rights.

Oh yeah I remember that now because when it came out I was wondering why anyone would want all of them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lots of exclusive features. This one had the producers cut of Halloween 6. If you’re a fan of the series it’s got a ton of cool stuff in there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Lots of exclusive features. This one had the producers cut of Halloween 6. If you’re a fan of the series it’s got a ton of cool stuff in there.

I saw the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 when I was in middle school because I bought a bootleg tape off of some guy on the internet. :smug:

What I mean is I just don't get why people like all those 80s horror franchise sequels. They're really bad and you could just use the money and shelf space for stuff that is good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's mostly because StudioCanal is doing a lot of 4K remasters/restorations for films that they don't have North American rights for.

The Deer Hunter - Shout Select (NA rights with Universal)
Flash Gordon - Arrow Video US (NA rights with Universal)
They Live - Scream Factory (NA rights with Universal, SC owns via Carolco outside NA)

First Blood, Rambo II, Rambo III, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Lock Up, Total Recall, The Doors, Red Heat, and Universal Soldier - Lionsgate (has had NA rights to Carolco library since the Live Entertainment days)

MGM owns NA home video rights to The Fog and Escape from New York, as well as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. First two are Embassy titles, B&TEA was started as a Nelson/Embassy production before Orion bought them out.

Lionsgate also put out Evil Dead 2 (part of the DDLC/Dino de Laurentiis library), Apocalypse Now (Zoetrope Studios), etc.

So far, the only UK exclusives are The Elephant Man and Don't Look Back, both of which were licensed to Criterion, but Paramount is apparently not open to licensing UHD rights to anyone at the moment.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I saw the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 when I was in middle school because I bought a bootleg tape off of some guy on the internet. :smug:

What I mean is I just don't get why people like all those 80s horror franchise sequels. They're really bad and you could just use the money and shelf space for stuff that is good.

They’re goofy and fun and for a lot of people they were their introduction to the series. Nostalgia for the first horror movies you saw can be a hell of a pull.

Every movie is someone’s favorite, not even because of the quality, but simply because it was a movie they saw on a particular day in a particular year at a particular moment in their life, and it simply just... stuck to them like a fly landing in ointment.

God knows Masters of The Universe is a terrible Cannon movie made by a child molester, but damned if I do not know that movie back to front and enjoy it thoroughly despite the only really good parts of it being Frank Langella playing Skeletor with as much weight as a Shakespeare villain and Bill Conti writing a surprisingly good score (and, all right, the Eternia production design is pretty great, very Lynch’s Dune meets Kirby’s New Gods). It was just a tape my parents had, an HBO recording presumably to sate my brother’s quench for it since he was big into He-Man when he was five or six, and when I was four or five, the handwritten title caught my eye and I popped it in, knowing nothing of the dumb lore of a toy cartoon that this movie broke from, pissing off a subset of nerds forever.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

It's mostly because StudioCanal is doing a lot of 4K remasters/restorations for films that they don't have North American rights for.

The Deer Hunter - Shout Select (NA rights with Universal)
Flash Gordon - Arrow Video US (NA rights with Universal)
They Live - Scream Factory (NA rights with Universal, SC owns via Carolco outside NA)

First Blood, Rambo II, Rambo III, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Lock Up, Total Recall, The Doors, Red Heat, and Universal Soldier - Lionsgate (has had NA rights to Carolco library since the Live Entertainment days)

MGM owns NA home video rights to The Fog and Escape from New York, as well as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. First two are Embassy titles, B&TEA was started as a Nelson/Embassy production before Orion bought them out.

Lionsgate also put out Evil Dead 2 (part of the DDLC/Dino de Laurentiis library), Apocalypse Now (Zoetrope Studios), etc.

So far, the only UK exclusives are The Elephant Man and Don't Look Back, both of which were licensed to Criterion, but Paramount is apparently not open to licensing UHD rights to anyone at the moment.

ah so this They Live UHD will most likely be the Studio Canal release but for region A?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

They’re goofy and fun and for a lot of people they were their introduction to the series. Nostalgia for the first horror movies you saw can be a hell of a pull.

Every movie is someone’s favorite, not even because of the quality, but simply because it was a movie they saw on a particular day in a particular year at a particular moment in their life, and it simply just... stuck to them like a fly landing in ointment.

God knows Masters of The Universe is a terrible Cannon movie made by a child molester, but damned if I do not know that movie back to front and enjoy it thoroughly despite the only really good parts of it being Frank Langella playing Skeletor with as much weight as a Shakespeare villain and Bill Conti writing a surprisingly good score (and, all right, the Eternia production design is pretty great, very Lynch’s Dune meets Kirby’s New Gods). It was just a tape my parents had, an HBO recording presumably to sate my brother’s quench for it since he was big into He-Man when he was five or six, and when I was four or five, the handwritten title caught my eye and I popped it in, knowing nothing of the dumb lore of a toy cartoon that this movie broke from, pissing off a subset of nerds forever.

Unacceptable! I am a joyless hate man who hates fun.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

ah so this They Live UHD will most likely be the Studio Canal release but for region A?

The US UHDs of The Deer Hunter and Flash Gordon use the StudioCanal 4K masters (though, not the same encodes). The actual UHD discs have no region locking. Likewise, Crash was initially done by Turbine Media (Germany) who also commissioned the new 4K masters for Do the Right Thing and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

The only US UHD I've seen that was a straight-up repackaging of a disc is Flicker Alley's Flying Clipper, which is the German disc with new artwork. And even Flicker Alley releases a lot of titles that are "dual region" in that they are literally the same disc image as UK/Euro editions except with different logos when played back in a Region A player.

Kino Lorber seems to be the only one commissioning new 4K masters - Hannibal (MGM), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Universal), and Mad Max (MGM). And quite a few others for Blu-ray.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 7, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
All UHDs are region free; it’s part of the standard. They were smart enough to give up on it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

david_a posted:

All UHDs are region free; it’s part of the standard. They were smart enough to give up on it.

*taps forehead*

can't slice up a market if it's too thin for the knife

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1303346137278148610?s=21

Delayed 😩

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Kinda expected it would be. Bummed it is.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/sbr264-john-carpenter-they-live

This just went up.

4K Film, 7inch and toy is $95 shipped

4K Film and 7inch $60 shipped

went with the latter because I am a Carpenter fanboy and I will throw my money at his stuff, but im sure a standalone copy of the movie will be at least half that. I'm a sucker.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Scream Factory just put up their own pre-orders which includes a different vinyl variant and comes with a rolled poster of the theatrical art. They also have the disc solo if you don't need goodies:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/they-live-collector-s-edition-poster-vinyl?product_id=7506

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a pre-order of just the movie?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a pre-order of just the movie?
Ah, I only posted the super special limited edition version, here's the link to all the variants including the movie solo:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/page/list/id/282130

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/sbr264-john-carpenter-they-live

This just went up.

4K Film, 7inch and toy is $95 shipped

4K Film and 7inch $60 shipped

went with the latter because I am a Carpenter fanboy and I will throw my money at his stuff, but im sure a standalone copy of the movie will be at least half that. I'm a sucker.

gently caress this in the faaaaceeee!

Shout factory needs to stop with this pre charge poo poo so I can order things from them and not be poor.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of Scream Factory, there's another crop of movies going out of print:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/page/list/id/282113

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
is sctv on blu ray

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FunkyAl posted:

is sctv on blu ray

It would cost millions of dollars in licensing fees just to get the Stairway to Heaven sketch on disc.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

HBO announced a Chernobyl 4K set. Where was this a year ago!? Ah well, if it’s good, so goes another double-dip. Interesting what HBO is deciding what gets the UHD treatment.

Yet we’ll never see Vice Principals Pt 2 on Blu-Ray.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
If anything deserved it though, it's Chernobyl.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Last year watching that show was bleak as hell, this year it’d be a welcome escape from reality.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Absolutely, to deserving 4K. I just wish they had it part of the initial offering. Looks like it might have been finished in 4K to begin with, so I’m excited for the reviews. The Steelbook being offered looks p dope as well.

Gonna watch Shutter Island on 4K tomorrow. I haven’t seen it but my GF really likes it so she made me grab it when we were at Best Buy for a pickup. Somewhat momentous for us as she’s not super into movies so it’s one she gets to share w me, and she insisted on the Steelbook. Weirdly enough, the Steelbook came out a month before the regular edition. Maybe an exclusivity deal? Anyway, looking forward to it as I’ve only really seen Marty’s gangster movies in the last couple decades.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would double dip on a UHD Watchmen series. Lessgo HBO.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Absolutely, to deserving 4K. I just wish they had it part of the initial offering. Looks like it might have been finished in 4K to begin with, so I’m excited for the reviews. The Steelbook being offered looks p dope as well.

Gonna watch Shutter Island on 4K tomorrow. I haven’t seen it but my GF really likes it so she made me grab it when we were at Best Buy for a pickup. Somewhat momentous for us as she’s not super into movies so it’s one she gets to share w me, and she insisted on the Steelbook. Weirdly enough, the Steelbook came out a month before the regular edition. Maybe an exclusivity deal? Anyway, looking forward to it as I’ve only really seen Marty’s gangster movies in the last couple decades.

That's happened a few times and I'm not sure why, if it's a rights issue or just a cost saving measure. The Hunt for Red October UHD was released on a Tom Clancy box set and for like 6 months that was the only way to get it, but then they released a steelbook collectors edition a few months later. That steelbook is the only individual release, you can't get it in just a regular case.

Same thing with Psycho this week, it's in the Hitchcock box set but the only way to get it individually is the steelbook.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

That's happened a few times and I'm not sure why, if it's a rights issue or just a cost saving measure. The Hunt for Red October UHD was released on a Tom Clancy box set and for like 6 months that was the only way to get it, but then they released a steelbook collectors edition a few months later. That steelbook is the only individual release, you can't get it in just a regular case.

Same thing with Psycho this week, it's in the Hitchcock box set but the only way to get it individually is the steelbook.

I saw that w Psycho and I don’t think I had seen any mention of it prior to this week! And none of the other movies are available individually!

dorium posted:

I would double dip on a UHD Watchmen series. Lessgo HBO.

I was slightly dumbfounded there wasn’t a 4K Watchmen release, but I would double dip as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I saw that w Psycho and I don’t think I had seen any mention of it prior to this week! And none of the other movies are available individually!

Yea I decided to pass on the set because I'm really only after Vertigo. If they do an individual Vertigo release it's an instant buy but I already have a Hitchcock blu ray set that I'm happy with.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If you missed out on the Bonus Disc of interviews that was featured on the Crystal Lake Memories pre-order waaaaay back in 2013, it's currently being offered for $13 shipped in the US. Sale ends September 28th: http://clmbonus.com/

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Are the Sony MOD titles like Warner Archive, or am I just buying a burned disc? I want to pick up The Squeeze and Rubin & Ed, but I'm not really feeling spending $23 each if it's the equivalent of a downloaded HD rip.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The next 4K from Vinegar Syndrome is up for Pre-order: Dial Code Santa Claus (aka 3615 code Père Noël).

quote:

Young Thomas is obsessed with action movies and video games. So much so that, when his mother is out, he delights in turning the sprawling mansion where he and his invalid grandfather live into a makeshift battleground; concocting and setting elaborate traps. Home alone, grandfather aside, on Christmas Eve, Thomas is soon faced with an unexpected - and very unwelcome - guest, a department store Santa Claus who is, in fact, a deranged escapee from a nearby asylum! Putting his skills into action, Thomas begins an all out assault against the murderous Saint Nick, rather than risking his Christmas turning into something closer to Halloween…

A dazzling mix of thriller, action, and horror, and long rumored to be the unofficial inspiration for one of the biggest Hollywood blockbusters of the 90s, René Manzor’s DIAL CODE SANTA CLAUS (aka 3615 code Père Noël aka Deadly Games aka Game Over) is a would-be cult sensation that sadly never was. Featuring ultra stylized cinematography from Michel Gaffier which highlights the often dream-like production design, Vinegar Syndrome is honored to present your next holiday favorite, DIAL CODE SANTA CLAUS, in its U.S. disc debut and worldwide 4k Ultra HD debut, from a brand new 4K restoration of its original 35mm camera negative!

I had no idea there was a horror version of Home Alone that predates Home Alone, so I'm smashing that pre-order button immediately.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that sounds rad.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Space_Butler posted:

The next 4K from Vinegar Syndrome is up for Pre-order: Dial Code Santa Claus (aka 3615 code Père Noël).

I had no idea there was a horror version of Home Alone that predates Home Alone, so I'm smashing that pre-order button immediately.

Hell yeah, it’s a really fun movie. I’ll be getting this for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

It's a pretty crazy rear end movie. There's an all regions blu-ray from Germany that I picked up a while ago. Be warned that if you can't handle violence against dogs/sad dead dog stuff in a movie do not watch this one. I bought it before I saw it and I'm not entirely sure I want to watch it again. The rest of the movie is pretty fun though.

I also like the German blu-ray cover better than the ones Vin Syn did. It's a much better representation of the movie aesthetically and it just generally looks better.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 12, 2020