Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Holy moly :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Locator posted:

That came out very nice, but I have a stupid question... How do you plan to deal with dust over time? Does the sealant you used make it stable enough that you can just use a feather duster or a vacuum on them without damaging anything?

I vacuumed them (with a shop vac) a bunch while I was assembling them to get rid of loose moss bits and most of it would stand up to that just fine. The smaller ferns would probably lose some leaves, though, so when I dusted them after hanging (drywall dust went everywhere) I just used a can of compressed air which worked fine and didn't damage anything. A feather duster would also work as long as you aren't hammering it. The way they are preserved keeps them from completely drying out so they remain flexible instead of dry and brittle.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
This XKCD comic popped into my head today. At the time I was programming an NFC sticker to toggle bluetooth between my phone and a speaker in my bathroom. After a few hours, I have this:

My plan is to print it and hang it up in the bathroom. I like my logo and the picture of Raph sideways in the tub, but it doesn't feel like the two ideas are coming together. It feels like one picture sitting on top of another. I can take or leave the honeycomb background behind the logo, I put it there because it looked better than a plain white background.

Anybody have any tips on how I can make this poster design feel more cohesive? I have zero background in graphic design, if that wasn't clear.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Truman Sticks posted:

Anybody have any tips on how I can make this poster design feel more cohesive? I have zero background in graphic design, if that wasn't clear.

If there's more of the original picture (which I assume is from the movie) you could do something simple like this; the bottom here is pure nonsense and I lazily moved the NFC tag but you get the idea.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Tiny Vase

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is it resin?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nice. I'm not too fond of blue, even, but that's nice.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Is it resin?

Yup; resin pour with a blue alcohol ink, purple alcohol ink, and no tinting on a Maple burl piece.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I work at a high school and am finding little projects to do maintenance on non-critical components to fix up as an excuse to use the lathe

That I have limited time on the tool lets me properly plan out the part and work out order of operations correctly. Especially ones that require threading

This was my first project working on the lathe unsupervised and I'm happy with it

This number 1 of 3 of a knob for a drill press

Edit, I am aware of the visable threads, I need to change the design somewhat

Jestery fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 10, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The edges of the grooves look sharp, are they?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

The edges of the grooves look sharp, are they?

I knocked them off just enough to not be,

Though, a valid comment, I could knock them down a mm or so more along with lengthening and avoid any risk Thanks :)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Posted this in the boardgame thread, but maybe it belongs here too.

I made a new boardgame table. I had a 4'x8' one similar to this, but it was just too unwieldy, so I was thinking of downsizing it for months. Finally ordered the hardware needed two weeks ago and disassembled the original for parts, and made the new table a week ago.

Here's my twitter thread I made for it. Here's where I show off the final product, but there's a few pictures previous showing a bit of the construction.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1301702171554086912

It's 3/4" 4'x8' board, with a quarter inch of foam over it and some really nice velvet over it all.

Some 12" sliders from amazon attached to 1x3's with trays cut from a 1x10 that slide out, with some big cup holders to prevent messes. The slides are really smooth and strong, they stay exactly where you pull them out to, so you can keep it mostly pushed in, with just the cupholder exposed if you don't need the full length of the tray.

The legs were salvaged from some old table at a church sale a few years ago and given new life (and paint) in my boardgame tables.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Version two looking a lot better

Edit

All done

Jestery fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 14, 2020

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Ravendas posted:

Posted this in the boardgame thread, but maybe it belongs here too.

I made a new boardgame table. I had a 4'x8' one similar to this, but it was just too unwieldy, so I was thinking of downsizing it for months. Finally ordered the hardware needed two weeks ago and disassembled the original for parts, and made the new table a week ago.

Here's my twitter thread I made for it. Here's where I show off the final product, but there's a few pictures previous showing a bit of the construction.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1301702171554086912

It's 3/4" 4'x8' board, with a quarter inch of foam over it and some really nice velvet over it all.

Some 12" sliders from amazon attached to 1x3's with trays cut from a 1x10 that slide out, with some big cup holders to prevent messes. The slides are really smooth and strong, they stay exactly where you pull them out to, so you can keep it mostly pushed in, with just the cupholder exposed if you don't need the full length of the tray.

The legs were salvaged from some old table at a church sale a few years ago and given new life (and paint) in my boardgame tables.

10/10. Would play Catan on.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Found a JessEm Table for cheap and already had the lift. Built a cabinet out more scrap 1/2" plywood. 3D printed the handles and cord wrap, got some castors, and dust collection parts.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Aww that's beautiful. You going to label your bit holders?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Found a JessEm Table for cheap and already had the lift. Built a cabinet out more scrap 1/2" plywood. 3D printed the handles and cord wrap, got some castors, and dust collection parts.

This is exactly what I need.

What is behind the center piece of ply that doesn't open out? Just keeping things enclosed for dust collection? Would love a trip report on the router table after you use it some.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I assume that's where the router goes :v:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I'd like to say I will label the bits but I probably won't. I know what they all look like cut and will probably re-arrange, move unused bits. There are 38 spots for each so still a limited amount of space.

I will post a write up in the woodworking thread. So far I really like it, the castors put it at the perfect height for 6' me and it is really easy to setup/move.

The center part is the cover to the router "dust box" Originally I tried to use magnets to hold it in place but as soon as I opened the bottom drawer it just slid down from the weight. So it is held in with corner blocks and magnets. While the dust collection works great at keeping the top/floor clean, I get some build up in the front corners. Most of the dust boxes I have seen have an adjustable carb opposite the dust collection port, to create a cross wind I assume. I think I will print one and put it in the door.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does it even matter if you get a little buildup in the corners? As long as the main body of the box is clearing, it'll build up to a point, and then stop.

Or if you're just being persnickety, I totally get that too. Might be easier to just cut some triangles to install in the corners to make a slope. Replace the dust pile with a panel of the same profile. :P

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Does it even matter if you get a little buildup in the corners? As long as the main body of the box is clearing, it'll build up to a point, and then stop.

Or if you're just being persnickety, I totally get that too. Might be easier to just cut some triangles to install in the corners to make a slope. Replace the dust pile with a panel of the same profile. :P

A little of both. My tablesaw builds up in the cabinet pretty bad so I am trying to avoid that here. I don't want to get buried alive when I open the door to adjust speed :downs:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ah well you see in that case you just need a remote electronic speed control, and then the obvious next step is enhanced monitoring, and then of course it needs to join the IoT, and then

e: Speaking of over-engineered solutions, was it this thread or the wood thread where someone built a really awesome air compressor controller that'd drain the tank automatically and such? I may be in the market for something similar.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 16, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I think we both went to the same school of over engineering. First thought was I could move the speed control and then it snowballs.

I am already working through putting my air compressor on an IoT relay and solenoid bleed valve so I don't have go back out to the shop when I forget to turn it off and drain it.

edit: ok wtf get out of my head. You edited your reply while I was typing this one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay well it sounds like we BOTH need to find that chain of posts. Dude had it wired up to monitor and if the compressor hadn't run for a while, it'd bleed out automatically, and I think he just had a big button to turn it back on when entering the shop or something. It had a bunch of other fancy bits too, it was pretty cool.

Plumbing my shop for air is fairly near on my list of to-dos down there.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 16, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I still had a wall to fill and a few ferns left over (stabilized ferns are expensive—like $1-3 a stem for the nice/big ones) but I didn't want to do anything as elaborate as the whole moss and hexagons affair.

I had seen these things when I was researching moss art—they're sort of cute, but a little bland and the moss balls at the bottom look weird.

At first I was looking at wall pockets/vases and stuff like that. There are some cool options but nothing that quite felt right. Something natural would be ideal, given the whole motif, so I started looking at burls and driftwood. There's a decent number of people that sell exact pieces for aquariums/terrariums/taxidermy/etc. I was trying to find three distinct pieces of wood that had holes in them suitable for what I wanted to do and that were around the same size; I probably looked at more than a thousand listings for chunks of wood but I finally found three that seemed like they would work. I ordered some of the larger stabilized ferns I had seen while getting stuff for the hexagons but had passed over because they were the wrong scale for that project.

Once everything arrived I drilled (mostly by hand with a pin-vice to avoid loving up the wood or snapping the bits) deeper holes inside of the existing holes in the pieces of wood that I could stick stems in. One piece I had to stabilize by painting a very thin layer of wood glue on. I used PVA (Aleene's) instead of hot glue to stick the stems because it would have been loving impossible to get hot glue in those little holes without leaving blobs of it all over everything.

I made little plaques out of some poplar 1x8s that I biscuited together and stained, then I used a router to cut keyholes in the back of them for hanging and attached the pieces of driftwood with some screws.

Anyway, they were a lot less work and I think they turned out pretty good:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
As a person who loves greenery in the workspace, I'm so drat jealous of your office.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like those better than the hexagons I think. They look awesome.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

One of them Charcuterie things. Finally used my home made CNC for something other than "test runs"
What's fun about "rustic" on a live edge is nothing has to look perfect :downs:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

One of them Charcuterie things. Finally used my home made CNC for something other than "test runs"

It looks good to me, though blue Texas is slightly confusing.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 25, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Speaking from Austin, it's probably aspirational.

Some wonderful projects posted recently :)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Not everything is a political statement :( It is a crushed turquoise inlay.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

Not everything is a political statement :( It is a crushed turquoise inlay.

It was more "What does turquoise Texas have to do with charcuterie?" rather than anything political.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

This is rad I really like the feet. Is it walnut or what? Really gorgeous color, especially if it is oiled walnut which always seems to turn kind of black and meh for me. Someone posted some mesquite sometime that had a kind of similar color too.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Wallet posted:

It was more "What does turquoise Texas have to do with charcuterie?" rather than anything political.

Mesquite is everywhere in Texas
I am in Texas
Texas is more southwest than south so turquoise is common
Charucterie is just fancy for cheese and meat tray, who doesn't love meat and cheese?

I don't know, doesn't have anything to do with it more than I wanted to cut and inlay something into a piece of wood :shrug:

edit:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is rad I really like the feet. Is it walnut or what? Really gorgeous color, especially if it is oiled walnut which always seems to turn kind of black and meh for me. Someone posted some mesquite sometime that had a kind of similar color too.

16" wide Mesquite plank with Cherry feet.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Apparently mesquite is just the prettiest wood then. It looks like warm old walnut with none of the funky new walnut purple/greys. Really pretty finish.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

JEEVES420 posted:

I don't know, doesn't have anything to do with it more than I wanted to cut and inlay something into a piece of wood :shrug:

It really pops. I would have guessed it was one of those UV reactive resins if you hadn't mentioned the turquoise.
Nice work. :)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Apparently mesquite is just the prettiest wood then. It looks like warm old walnut with none of the funky new walnut purple/greys. Really pretty finish.

It really is, I lucked into a 7ft long 16" wide board at a decent price. They normally look like below around here which is why so much of it is just fire wood...that and it makes wonderful BBQ.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wallet posted:

It looks good to me, though blue Texas is slightly confusing.

Turquoise is a traditional Texan ornamental material. There's a whole cottage industry of silversmiths out by Fredericksburg/Kerrville that work almost exclusively with turquoise

A lot of local furniture makers do turquoise inlay, it's very much a thing in Texas

Mesquite is great wood, the problem is that most "trees" are hellish thorny bushes, it's hard to find a branch much bigger than 6" in diameter; the other problem is that it's nearly twice as hard as oak, and will dull the sharpest sturdiest tool into a butter knife halfway through your project

Ossage is another great Texas wood, it's harder than hickory or mesquite, it's ideal for things like hammer and axe handles; it has a tendency to be very yellow unless you soak it first. It also has these crazy green fruits that are harder than a softball and look like lime green monkey brains. They're also famous for choking cows trying to eat them.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My wife, a Texan, approves of this message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

Fair enough. Sorry, I realize this probably came off as criticism; I was just curious what the connection was.

Hadlock posted:

Turquoise is a traditional Texan ornamental material. There's a whole cottage industry of silversmiths out by Fredericksburg/Kerrville that work almost exclusively with turquoise

A lot of local furniture makers do turquoise inlay, it's very much a thing in Texas

Learn something new every day!