Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd love to eventually get FO4 VR to not run like poo poo and I hear this is popular, but looking at the files, idgi

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28850?tab=files

There's files for all the DLC, which isn't even included in FO4 VR (I know you can get it working though) then files for downtown, and for interiors, but what about the rest of the game? Unless I'm missing something The areas it appears to address aren't even the problem areas. It's walking around the wasteland that turns it into a jittery mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm not too well versed, but I have been playing FO4VR a lot recently. I grabbed the downtown version of that, then I got Optimized Vanilla Textures and a mod that reduces rock textures. It really made a notable improvement for me, and if you're getting jitterying in the wasteland maybe the rocks not being so intensive will help out.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, now that I've got a computer that can run it I kind of want to get into playing Fallout 4 with mods. Is my best bet to get the Mod Organizer and F4SE, then just go down the Nexus top 100 non-adult mods and grab what I like? Or is adding mods more difficult than in 3/NV?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Mod Organizer 2 works the same for all of them. It can even run all of them off the same install.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
This is an up to date list of mods and fixes that work with each other, I went through and picked out what i wanted from it:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/30329

However instead of Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource and VIS-G item sorting mod, i'm using:

Armor and Clothing Overhaul- Wear clothing and armor simultaneously

Crafting Framework- lets you craft and swap legendary effects

Ruddy88's Simple Sorter- sorts all items from your mods through a script that's easier than patching mods individually.

I don't play on survival, I've been playing on very hard difficulty and this mod in particular makes it very difficult and fun:

Wasteland Ballistics

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, I've had over a decade of experience with FoMM and NVMM, but Mod Organizer not so much. For instance, I downloaded the full dialogue interface mod, installed it, activated it, and then found in game that it was applying it to the default setup, rather than the previous fallout style I had thought I had installed. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't seem to help my problem. Also, trying to download a mod from Bethesda net, but then not knowing how to add it to game from the overrides folder.

I know that it is pretty amazing just from built in LOOT, but I'm not sure how it all works. I need to sleep now, will try working on it more tomorrow.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ashsaber posted:

So, I've had over a decade of experience with FoMM and NVMM, but Mod Organizer not so much. For instance, I downloaded the full dialogue interface mod, installed it, activated it, and then found in game that it was applying it to the default setup, rather than the previous fallout style I had thought I had installed. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't seem to help my problem. Also, trying to download a mod from Bethesda net, but then not knowing how to add it to game from the overrides folder.

I know that it is pretty amazing just from built in LOOT, but I'm not sure how it all works. I need to sleep now, will try working on it more tomorrow.

The trick with MO is that ticking mods on the left side panel makes them visible to the game, but you still need to make sure everything is ticked in the right side panels (the plugins and the archives). Anything in the overrides folder is just automatically visible but you still need to tick to activate those plugins, just like how dropping plugins into a vanilla unmanaged installation still needs you to activate them somewhere.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

isndl posted:

The trick with MO is that ticking mods on the left side panel makes them visible to the game, but you still need to make sure everything is ticked in the right side panels (the plugins and the archives). Anything in the overrides folder is just automatically visible but you still need to tick to activate those plugins, just like how dropping plugins into a vanilla unmanaged installation still needs you to activate them somewhere.

Yeah, that I've got, but it was more that, hey, this mod says it adds stuff to a box just outside vault 111, and there's nothing there. Or installing the dialogue interface, finding it made some of the options go off the screen, and being unable to change it to another style.

E: Okay, what appears to be happening is that I install the full dialogue interface through MO, it gives me a choice of many options because its a FOMOD. I choose the one I want, enable it on the left, and then it just doesn't have a plugin on the right. Just... nothing.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 30, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can anyone tell me more about sim settlements? Playing this game for the first and I actually like building houses and stuff for these wastelanders, but I want them to decorate their own space. Will Sim Settlements allow this?

Also is there anything to expand the variety of fences? It seems like there's only this, I want something more beside junk fences.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Got a minor issue with NAC driving me crazy atm, the sunglasses effect refuses to work at all, tried reseting the mod from holotatape, then reinstalling the mod entirely, no luck. shader works, weather works, just the 1st person effects refuse to.

I'm using armoursmith extended with it, but getting no conflict messages between them either

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can anyone tell me more about sim settlements? Playing this game for the first and I actually like building houses and stuff for these wastelanders, but I want them to decorate their own space. Will Sim Settlements allow this?

Also is there anything to expand the variety of fences? It seems like there's only this, I want something more beside junk fences.

Sim Settlements has interior plots that take up 2x3 (edited typo) small floor tiles so you can build an empty house and then leave them to their own devices. Note that they may block off doorways or build something theme inappropriate, so they still require a bit of managing.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 31, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

7c Nickel posted:

Sim Settlements has interior plots that take up 2x6 small floor tiles so you can build an empty house and then leave them to their own devices. Note that they may block off doorways or build something theme inappropriate, so they still require a bit of managing.

2x3. They'll always block off the "back wall" of whatever they're used and most of them have an annotated description of what parts they don't cover, so if you expect to be able to cut the corner of an interior plot you can pick one that'll do that.

Also there are 4x4 plots that just build their own standalone houses or other structures. It's currently the only way to play with the tech tree, if you feel like doing that.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

If you can live without it being a real "fence", you can use most wall sections - I like bunkering up with concrete walls, myself, or the big concrete cubes/bases if I want a setback walkway. Vault atrium parts are good for this, as well, but are kinda spendy in materials and look a bit odd.

I seem to recall doing some with barn or warehouse wall sections, but I may be conflating those with "giant generator warehouse" builds.

Vault parts are great for Oppression Palaces looming over the settlement, bristling with turrets and spotlights.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, how much trouble would it be to do some manual installation of mods along with MO2's installation? Because I have so far had two different mods not install correctly with it. One didn't add a plugin needed to actually use the mod, another added the plugin, but failed to install the scripts properly, leaving the mod doing nothing.

I think I could fix those issues by just manually doing stuff, but I want to make sure it wouldn't gently caress things up too bad to do so first.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ashsaber posted:

So, how much trouble would it be to do some manual installation of mods along with MO2's installation? Because I have so far had two different mods not install correctly with it. One didn't add a plugin needed to actually use the mod, another added the plugin, but failed to install the scripts properly, leaving the mod doing nothing.

I think I could fix those issues by just manually doing stuff, but I want to make sure it wouldn't gently caress things up too bad to do so first.

IIRC, you can do manual-type installs with MO2, without having to bloat up your actual FO4 directory. I know I was having to load the packaged mod and modify where needed scripts/resources actually were, because the original mod creator had hosed things up somehow. (Minutemen Dem Radio was the main offender that I remember - worth it to swap in reggae for the default Minutemen music, in my opinion.)

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ygolonac posted:

IIRC, you can do manual-type installs with MO2, without having to bloat up your actual FO4 directory. I know I was having to load the packaged mod and modify where needed scripts/resources actually were, because the original mod creator had hosed things up somehow. (Minutemen Dem Radio was the main offender that I remember - worth it to swap in reggae for the default Minutemen music, in my opinion.)

Is there a guide handy for that? Or, failing that, can you tell me where to put the script folders in the virtual folder? Because I thought I could be clever and just stick it in the scripts folder a level or two up, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The ESP meanwhile I can probably grab from the manual version of that mod and just plug it into the relevant folder.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I just kinda half-assed around experimenting when I needed to fix my mods - worst that can happen is having to nuke the mod again and retry. (You might use a separate profile for testing purposes.)

It's been quite a while since I played FO4, though - think I gave up partially because even with a bunch of mods, it was getting awfully repetitive, and I was having some issues with Sim Settlements not properly advancing tech trees for certain plots. (Stupid Nuka lab.)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Is Horizons any good? It's this huge overhaul and I'm wondering if I should get it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I can't even play without Horizon anymore. It'll effectively replace so much of your modlist that it's better to start with Horizon and go from there.

Patches exist both for Sim Settlements, and a large variety of new weapons as a companion pack.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Is Horizons any good? It's this huge overhaul and I'm wondering if I should get it.

It just makes the early game really hard and spaced out. For instance you won't be doing the first Minuteman mission until like 10 hours in or some poo poo because of how difficult everything is. But then at some point around level 10-15 you become an unstoppable badass and it kinda ruins it, if you were into the difficult stuff at first. I eventually had a build where I was essentially invisible when stealthed and could just kill everything with impunity.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is there anything like Legacy of the Dragonborn for Fallout 4, decided I really like filling out a museum like Animal Crossing as a way to encourage exploration.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Is mod organizer still the go to or are people using vortex?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dalael posted:

Is mod organizer still the go to or are people using vortex?

Mod Organiser 2 is the best option I think.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Mod Organiser 2 is the best option I think.

Do I still have to figure out a mod order or is it smart enough to do it itself?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You use loot like a reasonable person

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Azhais posted:

You use loot like a reasonable person

I uhh.. had issues with loot and mod organizer. Never quite managed to get it working right

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is there anything like Legacy of the Dragonborn for Fallout 4, decided I really like filling out a museum like Animal Crossing as a way to encourage exploration.

The only one I know of is Far Harbor-specific. The default city plan for Longfellow's Cabin includes a Far Harbor museum that's automatically populated as you do things in Far Harbor.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dalael posted:

I uhh.. had issues with loot and mod organizer. Never quite managed to get it working right

LOOT is integrated in MO2. Just find and click the sort button.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Glazius posted:

The only one I know of is Far Harbor-specific. The default city plan for Longfellow's Cabin includes a Far Harbor museum that's automatically populated as you do things in Far Harbor.

In Sim Settlements?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

In horizon, is there anywhere your status is spelled out anywhere? I got poisoned, I have a little yellow pill icon on my hud and another on the pipboy status screen, but nowhere does it actually say THIS MEANS POISON, did I gently caress something up?

Edit: I am the dumbest man alive and didn't see Q)show effects at the bottom

Edit 2: This modlist crashes at the museum of freedom door every single time, any obvious mistakes?

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 7, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pound_Coin posted:

Edit 2: This modlist crashes at the museum of freedom door every single time, any obvious mistakes?

It seems like this is known problem that has something to do Garvey and the author has a sticky up in the comments on the mod page trying to troubleshoot.

But you do need to change up your load order. Move Z_Horizons.esm below all the other .esms and then move Pipboy Flashlight and Start Me Up above Z_Horizons.esp

What's 3dscopes-replacer.esp? I couldn't find anything about it on Nexus.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I assume it's one of those mods that makes it so scopes don't go to a different screen. You just hold the scope up in front of you and get a small zoomed in view while maintaining peripheral vision.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

What happens if you don't use the front door?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

It seems like this is known problem that has something to do Garvey and the author has a sticky up in the comments on the mod page trying to troubleshoot.

But you do need to change up your load order. Move Z_Horizons.esm below all the other .esms and then move Pipboy Flashlight and Start Me Up above Z_Horizons.esp

What's 3dscopes-replacer.esp? I couldn't find anything about it on Nexus.

It turned out to be the horizon weapon pack that was breaking things, dropped that, started again and had no crashes since.

3d scopes is https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9476

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pound_Coin posted:

It turned out to be the horizon weapon pack that was breaking things, dropped that, started again and had no crashes since.

3d scopes is https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9476

Yeah the weapon pack is wildly out of date at this point.

Horizon has a ton of abandoned patches and add-ons from over the years

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Also, vortex's method of managing load orders sucks poo poo.

You cant just drag and drop things into order, its all rules based to you have to tell each mod to load specifically after the one before and if you have to move one like horizon, you have to redo a ton of poo poo. How did anyone who knows how finicky bethesda modding is think this was a good way to do things.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chronojam posted:

What happens if you don't use the front door?

Then you probably owe someone a nice dinner

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pound_Coin posted:

Also, vortex's method of managing load orders sucks poo poo.

You cant just drag and drop things into order, its all rules based to you have to tell each mod to load specifically after the one before and if you have to move one like horizon, you have to redo a ton of poo poo. How did anyone who knows how finicky bethesda modding is think this was a good way to do things.

It was designed by the Mod Organiser guy.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Got more crashes, back to messing with order and this advice, did you mean move Z_Architect.esm below any other mod's .esms ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pound_Coin posted:

Got more crashes, back to messing with order and this advice, did you mean move Z_Architect.esm below any other mod's .esms ?

Whoops yeah.