Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How punishing is it to ignore calls to war? I know its pretty bad in EU4, HOI4. I get called to multiple wars quite often, and it leaves me comically exposed to someone coming in and taking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

buglord posted:

How punishing is it to ignore calls to war? I know its pretty bad in EU4, HOI4. I get called to multiple wars quite often, and it leaves me comically exposed to someone coming in and taking everything.

Not at all, it's an opinion malus. If you ignore them though, don't expect them to allow themselves to be called into your wars either.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

lurksion posted:

Is there a way to diplo-vassalize de jure dudes? Is it behind a lifestyle perk?

You can offer vassalization as a normal diplomatic option. The middle tree of the Diplomacy lifestyle has a perk called True Ruler that gives you +25 to acceptance.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
My Napoly run finally reached the Empire rank. My brave, temperate and trusting Sicilian boy-king inherited the throne at 14 along with 1 county in Italia. He was crowned Basileus in 970, aged 54, after engineering three ducal claim conquests and several holy wars versus the various northern Italian and French Lollards and Muwalladists (Catholicism has seen better centuries).

Unfortunately, while I was kicking rear end, the Byzantines were 1) losing most of Anatolia to the Kazars and b) converting to loving Coptic. The only holy site Orthodoxy had was my imperial capital of Rome, our fervor was tanked, and well over half my realm was Lollards, Catholics and Muslims. Reforming to my own branch of Christianity was way too expensive as a martial character after all that holy warring, but converting to an existing branch was much cheaper so ...

Time for the Romans to marry their siblings and exalt carnally.

Macintosh HD posted:

Can anyone recommend any decent YouTube Let's Plays? I'm hoping to find a campaign done with a good player who's able to explain what they're doing and why.

I like Lambert's Harald Fairhair game, I've had it at 2x in the background while making dinner or pretending to work. I'm not sure if it's necessarily a great newbie game but he does explain things. I like that it's not a stream recording, that he keeps his failures in (he plain loses the first start because :thatsck3:) and that he doesn't gimmick.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Thanks for the suggestion about saves, I'll try that for next time.

I'm starting a new game as the Sulayhids in Yemen. I holy warred and got some Tribal holdings, how can I convert those to Clan and/or Feudal? If I grant them to vassals, how do they become Clan? It's not very clear how to make or encourage vassals to adopt your government type.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Here's an achievement I wasn't sure I'd ever get, let alone in my first real game.

After a point, I was running out the clock to get the "last until 1453" achievement. So gold, prestige, etc. were all accumulating and not really being spent. Sweden and Denmark splintered somehow in the early 1400s, and I got a request to vassalize a petty queen, which was unexpected but, yeah, sure, I guess I am rich and famous. Then another. OK. Then two more. Then it snowballed; people everywhere, stretching across to the Byzantine/Seljuk border and down into Nubia, wanted me to be their emperor/empress, to the point that I eventually just had the dialog options to form seven new kingdoms. I don't know if this is a bug or not (I assume it is, tbh; that's a lot of people inexplicably eager for vassalization), but it was wild to watch.

So I waited a few years so that everything would hopefully be intact through the end of the game, hired mercs, conquered two more kingdoms (I considered using Wales and England, but screw that, I actually fought for those, I wasn't going to do that unless I was almost out of time), then divvied the nine new kingdoms among my dynasty. That step was actually quite a pain in the rear end, and I was paranoid I was doing it wrong so I kept rechecking who was getting what, but after that it was just a matter of granting them all independence.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Some more new player questions:

1. I keep reading about people's partition woes. I'm king of Novogrod and Biarmaland, both of which have swedish sucession. My heir is the top of both of those elections, meaning he ought to be king when I die right? If all my other titles go to my other 14 children(!), who cares I'm still double king right??

2. If I'm in a super patriarchal part of the world with no hope of matrilineal succession, who should I be marrying my many daughters to? Will they form alliances?

I'm 55 and figure I ought to consolidate rather than warring with Minsk and no clear succession plan. I have 1 year old sons and 18 year old grandchildren lol. The same son has beat the poo poo out of like 5 of his siblings' bullies in slightly differing events.

At least half my knights are sodomite berserkers. Must be a correlation there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
As long as no other heir inherits a title that is equal in tier as your player heir then nothing happens to the integrity of your holdings. Haven't played Scandinavian yet so I don't know how electing kings plays out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh cool, you can use weak hooks to stop vassal wars. Very useful if they're your relatives and you're house head, since you get one free weak hook on each of them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ho boy once the big levy numbers start coming out war becomes unfun

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arbite posted:

Ik,r?

Also: Bull----poo poo!

***Edit***

Oh God, this poor bastard

It was... an interesting life.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
How do you end up having mid or high-tier good congenital traits on your primary heir without inbreeding like crazy for generations, or happening to have the murderous trait that lets you murder all your failsons? When I look to marry my heir, there might be like one girl he can marry with a mid-tier good congenital trait. And then of his children, it's always like the third son who gets the good trait and that just creates a problem for the real heir when that kid grows up smarter and stronger. If I had the Sadistic trait that'd be a help, but I don't, and inbreeding looks like it takes many generations of crummy heirs to sort itself out.

That being said I did bite the bullet and marry my grandson to my genius niece. This is how it begins...

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Get all your breeding done during tribal times so you can send your failsons to die on raids.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Oh, I picked the later start date. I suppose I could make the failsons knights and send them to war, but usually they just get maimed and don't actually die.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I got it. Am I the first Goon to unite India?

As for the Devotion requirement, the easiest way to get the last level is just to save the Decision where you sanctify the Ganges until you're already a Paragon of Virtue because it automatically pushes you up a level.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I'm playing tribal (gavelkind) and have 3 sons. Nothing happened to my eldest but out of the blue his heir status automatically transferred to the second eldest.

Why? Other info: I made my eldest my Hofgodi, and he held no titles, while my second son holds three. Are either of those things factoring in?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My queen of France decided to start worshipping the Horned God because some guy whispered in her ear while she was sleeping. Now all my kids are witches too and I’ve formed a coven with them! I’m sure no one will ever find out about our terrible secret. My current ruler has 30 intrigue and permanent 100 dread so no one goes against her, but my heir has an intrigue of 2 so we’ll see how this turns out.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Zeron posted:

Not at all, it's an opinion malus. If you ignore them though, don't expect them to allow themselves to be called into your wars either.

what happens if you accept it but don't bother doing anything?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

what happens if you accept it but don't bother doing anything?

Nothing, but apparently if you do it multiple times to the same person they’ll get pissed at you if you don’t actually contribute.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
The Pannonian Migration has nothing on the Estonian Migration.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

A God drat Ghost posted:

How do you end up having mid or high-tier good congenital traits on your primary heir without inbreeding like crazy for generations, or happening to have the murderous trait that lets you murder all your failsons? When I look to marry my heir, there might be like one girl he can marry with a mid-tier good congenital trait. And then of his children, it's always like the third son who gets the good trait and that just creates a problem for the real heir when that kid grows up smarter and stronger. If I had the Sadistic trait that'd be a help, but I don't, and inbreeding looks like it takes many generations of crummy heirs to sort itself out.

That being said I did bite the bullet and marry my grandson to my genius niece. This is how it begins...

If you're not looking to hook up some alliances, there should usually be some lowborn geniuses/beauties/amazons hanging around somewhere, you can find them through the search function. Alternatively, you can also filter those traits when setting up a marriage.

The various traits are, in order from tier 1 to 3: Quick/Intelligent/Genius, Comely/Pretty/Beautiful, Hale/Robust/Amazonian. Fecund can be good as well.

Try putting one of those into the search function to filter when looking for a spouse. If you can't find the tier 3 one, go for the tier 2, and so on.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Some involved questions:

Having trouble playing this because i think im still in the EU4 mindset. Is painting the map your color still the goal? Is it possible to play "tall"? Succession confuses me because im supposedly supposed to have my heir keep as many titles as possible, but also I should be giving vassals and advisors titles too so they're happy and not murderous with me. Does it matter who really has the titles so long as this kingdom, whatever it is, stays united?

followup: is there a good youtube series which answers these sorts of things? Don't mind if they're LPs as well, I just have so many questions that would probably be answered by seeing people play while explaining why they're killing their failsons and how that benefits the heir.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Mantis42 posted:

Goddamnit, I've had all the requirements to form India for several rulers now except the need to be the highest level of Devotion and I cannot for the life of me reach that within the life of one ruler. The best piety gain I got was +16 a month and was still 2000 Devotion away when he finally keeled over. You can wage a kingdom level holy war once per ruler and that still only gets you 150 points.

Dunno if indian religions have the option, but as a catholic “go on a pilgrimage” decision can give 800 piety for 1000 gold every 15 years, and you can buy piety from the religious head once every 5.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh I already figured it out, look above. My new goal before the end date is to start my own religion. I started as a Count and leveled up to Emperor and the only way to continue growing is to become a God of some sort, that's how I see it.

e: Hinduism definitely does not give that much piety for pilgrimages and there is no religious head.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arven posted:

Get all your breeding done during tribal times so you can send your failsons to die on raids.

gently caress, THAT'S IT! THAT'S HOW TO SOLVE THIS

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

A God drat Ghost posted:

absolute crown authority lets you designate your heir, so just have as many kids as possible to try to roll for the best kid

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heh, seems I've got one of those time travelling bastards as well:

Also Gerdr is not his mother.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Some more new player questions:

1. I keep reading about people's partition woes. I'm king of Novogrod and Biarmaland, both of which have swedish sucession. My heir is the top of both of those elections, meaning he ought to be king when I die right? If all my other titles go to my other 14 children(!), who cares I'm still double king right??

2. If I'm in a super patriarchal part of the world with no hope of matrilineal succession, who should I be marrying my many daughters to? Will they form alliances?

I'm 55 and figure I ought to consolidate rather than warring with Minsk and no clear succession plan. I have 1 year old sons and 18 year old grandchildren lol. The same son has beat the poo poo out of like 5 of his siblings' bullies in slightly differing events.

At least half my knights are sodomite berserkers. Must be a correlation there.
1. sounds like you're doing fine

2. ensure that your sons are sufficiently numerous and healthy--ideally have two or three of them--before sending your daughters off for non-matrilineal marriages. non-matrilineal marriages are very appealing for other rulers; they are helpful for forging alliances; but if a non-mat daughter is next in line for your primary succession then your dynasty is in peril. if your sons are shaky i recommend matrilineally marrying your eldest daughters as insurance against your succession. do not expect strong alliances from matrilineal marriages.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
matrimarriages are great for recruiting high-statted lowborn people to your court to stack your council with competent folks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

buglord posted:

Some involved questions:

Having trouble playing this because i think im still in the EU4 mindset. Is painting the map your color still the goal? Is it possible to play "tall"? Succession confuses me because im supposedly supposed to have my heir keep as many titles as possible, but also I should be giving vassals and advisors titles too so they're happy and not murderous with me. Does it matter who really has the titles so long as this kingdom, whatever it is, stays united?

followup: is there a good youtube series which answers these sorts of things? Don't mind if they're LPs as well, I just have so many questions that would probably be answered by seeing people play while explaining why they're killing their failsons and how that benefits the heir.

EU4 player here. Just pick a goal and do whatever you want. If you wanna paint the map your tag then go for it. If you wanna breed a lineage of beautiful geniuses in a witch coven that's an option too.

Your heir should inherit the highest tier title (Duchies are part of a Kingdom so if they pick up the Kingdom title then all the Duchies fall in line under you). The other titles actually don't matter at that point unless you are also looking to found a Holy Order in which case you need a Barony with a City or Castle to base them in.

Why yes my Empire with 20k+ levies had to crush some random one province minor so I could found an Order before my King died why do you ask

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Macintosh HD posted:

Can anyone recommend any decent YouTube Let's Plays? I'm hoping to find a campaign done with a good player who's able to explain what they're doing and why.

quill18. He's on part 13 of his Count of Anjou playthrough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_u7IZeO7qg&list=PLs3acGYgI1-tnru5viwLivAxAEOGZmTfU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

toasterwarrior posted:

gently caress, THAT'S IT! THAT'S HOW TO SOLVE THIS

You can pick your heir with absolute crown authority.

Edit: welp I let the thread sit and got beat

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Oh god, it's in this game as well.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

as long as you are the dynasty head you can also just disinherit all the other failsons and faildaughters

it's reversible if you mess up/they die unexpectedly

that REALLY should carry a dynasty-wide opinion penalty, imo

e: lmao at the comet only having negative outcomes - lemme guess, identical stress too?

classic paradox

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

OctaMurk posted:

absolute crown authority lets you designate your heir, so just have as many kids as possible to try to roll for the best kid

Oh that's amazing, I've never invested that heavily in crown authority, will have to try it. Iirc my people really didn't like when I raised it but it's too good.

I've been able to find random lowborn spouses with a trait I want, the problem has been getting the right son to get it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Excelzior posted:

e: lmao at the comet only having negative outcomes - lemme guess, identical stress too?

classic paradox

It was actually a 50/50 for stress gain or stress loss for each.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The economy, fools!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

It was actually a 50/50 for stress gain or stress loss for each.

neat

I feel that comet came like clockwork within a few months whenever my stability peaked in EU. Sigh.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Oh god, it's in this game as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkK8g6FMEXE