Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Speaking of knives coming out: Does anyone remember what finally made people turn on George W. Bush? I was young at the time, but there was absolutely a turning point where culturally things went from "WE HAVE TO SUPPORT THE PRESIDENT NO MATTER WHAT!!! 9/11!!" to "gently caress THAT DUDE! HE SUCKS AND HAS ALWAYS SUCKED!!!!" during his second term, but why? Did the post 9/11 sheen just finally wear off enough for people to see how bad he was and had always been?

The economy crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was just the market crashing in 2008, because people have forgotten most of the rest of the poo poo he did and now he has like 60 something percent approval again. It probably also helps that he has been very quiet post-presidency.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Speaking of knives coming out: Does anyone remember what finally made people turn on George W. Bush? I was young at the time, but there was absolutely a turning point where culturally things went from "WE HAVE TO SUPPORT THE PRESIDENT NO MATTER WHAT!!! 9/11!!" to "gently caress THAT DUDE! HE SUCKS AND HAS ALWAYS SUCKED!!!!" during his second term, but why? Did the post 9/11 sheen just finally wear off enough for people to see how bad he was and had always been?

Not winning the Iraq War didn't help. Though winning the Iraq War didn't help Poppy, so, dunno maybe there is some third option regarding trading treasure for murder in the middle east we haven't been able to figure out yet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Katrina was a big one for moderates who weren't fully in the GOP tank at that point

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i remember i was once hiking half dome in the late summer, and you could see some smoldering spot fires way in the distance once you got up on the subdome

48 hours later the area i had hiked through was engulfed in flame and they had to bring in helicopters to rescue hikers and back country campers. the kinds of conditions that climate change has allowed for means that a sudden change in the weather can have dramatic consequences, and so far we seem incapable of adjusting our preexisting expectations to meet the new reality

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i remember i was once hiking half dome in the late summer, and you could see some smoldering spot fires way in the distance once you got up on the subdome

48 hours later the area i had hiked through was engulfed in flame and they had to bring in helicopters to rescue hikers and back country campers. the kinds of conditions that climate change has allowed for means that a sudden change in the weather can have dramatic consequences, and so far we seem incapable of adjusting our preexisting expectations to meet the new reality

I mean poo poo that's precisely what happened in Paradise. All the experienced folks were like "Well, surely it won't jump that canyon, we'll be fine" and literally no one expected it to move as quickly as it did. It was knocking on their back door within what, a couple few hours from first being spotted? New reality indeed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Gripweed posted:

No I couldn't, I just saw the screencap on Twitter

Bank accounts at banks often charge onerous fees. Presumably Federal accounts wouldn't

Yeah, but that seems redundant compared to postal banking, I don't get having both

Epinephrine posted:

This came up once a few days ago so my memory is a bit incomplete, but my understanding was that this fire came on so fast that people didn't have time to evacuate.

Yeah, basically it started and immediately shut off the exit road out from a popular recreation lake.

California is dealing with a record heatwave right now

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 8, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Edit: Double post, sorry

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

They can say Stepien is 'in charge', but the Trump kids have a lot of input here so I will just assume it's Kushner until told otherwise. Trump has put him in charge of almost everything.

god I hope it's Kushner. Everything he does is costly, ineffective, and usually illegal.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

I think I get why zoomers are so full of despair. America love of capitalism, lack of social concern, ineffective government controls, and general aversion to real protest (they do it but the general public turns on the protesters) has placed America knto an inevitable decline into facism. Like, there really isn't any way to avoid it at this point. In my lifetime, fascism will take over this world and I don't trust anyone can stop its evil this time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Is Covok the new Arzy? They both have short strange usernames. :tinfoil:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
There is also a poo poo load of dead.trees up in the Sierra due to the drought a few years ago and the pine beetle infestation. Very hot + very dry + dry long fuels = raging fires.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Xarthor posted:

Is Covok the new Arzy? They both have short strange usernames. :tinfoil:

Covok was the new Arzy four years ago. We're all Arzy now.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
As someone who works closely with a lot of public land management I would argue that climate change isn't actually as big a factor in fires in the western united states as you would think or gets reported on. Though it definitely makes it worse.

A more major reason why everything loving lights up super fast and hard is because lovely fire supression methods and the fact no managment agency does anywhere close to the proper amount of managed burns to deal with the resulting fuel build up.

So basically you have years of dead trees and branches just waiting catch and when they do its hot and fast as gently caress.

Its a combination on money issues, really lovely methods (though they seem to slowly be changing), and the fact that homeowners pitch a loving fit anytime theres a controlled burn so there is lots of push back.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 8, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Super-Id posted:

The economy crashed.

Yeah presidential approval is tied more heavily to the economy than anything else and the commit crashing at the end of his term put a capstone on his legacy as a Bad President.

In January this year I considered to have trump a 50/50 shot at being re elected if the economy held together into November.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DaveWoo posted:

Boy is Glenn going to be shocked when he finds out who's been signing bills increasing funding to this military-industrial complex for the last three and a half years.

I don’t think Glenn Greenwald is shocked that the republican and democratic parties in both houses of Congress and also every president (including Trump) in my lifetime have been increasing funding to the military industrial complex

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well to be fair the F-35 is a disaster. Publicly everyone involved is cheering it on like it is the greatest airframe ever created, privately it is a different story all together. The only buyer that is happy with it at all is the US Marines and they have issues with it.

The stupid thing still isn’t really combat ready. All three variants have a multitude of different problems. All three branches in the US have been privately considering alternatives. The original idea of making one plane that could be used by all three branches was one of those good on paper, impossible in practicality things. The three variants at this point are radically different planes that don’t share a ton of common parts between them so the idea of saving money with spares, etc is now a pipe dream. All three were forced to make massive concessions to make this idea work in the first place.

Personally if I were in charge I’d cut the A and C models, focus all development on the B as the VTOL systems mostly work and it is a needed capability for other partners. Focus on a single variant means it might actually work at some point in the future.

You can get more F-15s and F-18s in the short term while you work on a long term solution for both the Air Force and Navy.

Work is already starting on 6th Gen aircraft and it is pretty telling that stealth is not a huge concern for any of the designs. From looking at every air battle since 1965, they have all nearly been at long, most BVR engagements. The idea right now is to make bigger, faster aircraft with longer range and the ability to carry bigger or more arms. You send in a small sensor targeting drone that can send data back to your giant fleet of missile busses effectively and blow everything to Kingdom come.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Djarum posted:

Well to be fair the F-35 is a disaster. Publicly everyone involved is cheering it on like it is the greatest airframe ever created, privately it is a different story all together. The only buyer that is happy with it at all is the US Marines and they have issues with it.

Personally if I were in charge I’d cut the A and C models, focus all development on the B as the VTOL systems mostly work and it is a needed capability for other partners. Focus on a single variant means it might actually work at some point in the future.

Sorry but that would mean jobs leave my district and so that's absolutely loving unacceptable, even if it's literally just a trillion dollar military industrial welfare program.

Edit: The F35 is basically the fighter jet version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 8, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Sorry but that would mean jobs leave my district and so that's absolutely loving unacceptable, even if it's literally just a trillion dollar military industrial welfare program.

Not really. There would still be airframes being built, just not on the level that was anticipated. Granted I thought the promised numbers was always going to be bullshit.

Granted the amount of aircraft being bought will really only effect one place and that would be Texas and even then there are enough B customers to keep that line running for several years.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The gun on the F35 carries 180 rounds.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

bij posted:

And so loving what. When is the last time guns on planes mattered?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

....Wait, the author cited "American Exceptionalism" as a bad thing next to BLM in this whiney baby bullshit

Is American Exceptionalism a bad thing to conservatives now? Did I miss something, or is this rant incoherent?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bij posted:

You can call and order more.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

vuk83 posted:

The last time a plane did a gun run, so probably like yesterday. It's cool how the jack of all trades airplane has half the cannon ammo for 3 to 5 times the unit cost.

Nonsense posted:

You can call and order more.

Please order the full gun pod system for the low price of $75 billion. Also it will rust and you'll need to wait 6 - 10 years for us to work that out.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
This may be old news (i.e., a few hours), but I just saw that the dumb gently caress who hosted the gender party that started the wildfires was of course a border patrol agent. They really select for the best and brightest. And if anyone was in doubt about his idiocy, he started the fire by exploding a box of Tannerite to announce the gender... and filmed it! I mean goddamn how does 2020 keep blazing new trails too soon?.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

*a poll written entirely in Crayon that just says TRUPM over it Trump with 93% of the vote*

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Why the gently caress is Tannerite legal anyway?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

CubanMissile posted:

Why the gently caress is Tannerite legal anyway?

Gun nuts.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Hizawk posted:

Gun nuts.

I know, it’s just, ugh. loving gun nuts.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tnega posted:

Remember that Wal-Mart does check cashing. Postal Banking is dead before arrival. Also one of the presidential candidates has a history of being awful on the subject

Not everyone has access to a Walmart though. I use their banking system with Go bank and it's been awesome. But to get started I had to have a friend pick a card up when he went there one day.
But yeah, it's been great. My paycheck deposits around Tuesday. Seems to be a lot easier to stretch a check when it drops early in the week. No overdraft fees. PNC used to hold payments at times, the notice that such and such charged your account would literally disappear till you had spent more, then pop up a few days to a week later, overdraft your account, then all those charges that came in "after" would rack up 36 dollar fees per each item. I used to lose almost entire paychecks for using stuff like the vending machines at work that way.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

TulliusCicero posted:

*a poll written entirely in Crayon that just says TRUPM over it Trump with 93% of the vote*

Not sharpie? I don't know if I can trust such a poll.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Wrong Glenn

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I don't think it changed. It's just by '08 there was a candidate that really motivated people to come out and inspired people on one side while the other side had an angry grandpa and a ditz of a VP selection. Support didn't change for Dubya, it's just his party tossed a Hillary out to be next at bat

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

vuk83 posted:

A-10 Brrrts in background

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SocketWrench posted:

Not everyone has access to a Walmart though. I use their banking system with Go bank and it's been awesome. But to get started I had to have a friend pick a card up when he went there one day.

The point isn't that walmart banking services are good. They're not.

The point is that walmart will flex every bit of muscle it can to stop postal banking, because that means people aren't coming into walmarts to get paid, and then buy cheap consumer goods and food while they're in the store.

ps: unless you've got ChexSystems issues, try to find a credit union to sign up with instead, monthly fees for checking accounts are highway robbery and "waived with direct deposit" turns into a real pain if you lose your job

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

bij posted:

The last time a plane did a gun run, so probably like yesterday. It's cool how the jack of all trades airplane has half the cannon ammo for 3 to 5 times the unit cost.

Please order the full gun pod system for the low price of $75 billion. Also it will rust and you'll need to wait 6 - 10 years for us to work that out.

So let's order some p47s they could carry some 3000 rounds.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Smeef posted:

This may be old news (i.e., a few hours), but I just saw that the dumb gently caress who hosted the gender party that started the wildfires was of course a border patrol agent. They really select for the best and brightest. And if anyone was in doubt about his idiocy, he started the fire by exploding a box of Tannerite to announce the gender... and filmed it! I mean goddamn how does 2020 keep blazing new trails too soon?.

Are you sure you're not mixing this up with the last incident? Because that's exactly, literally what happened the last time. Border agent, tannerite, etc.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

vuk83 posted:

So let's order some p47s they could carry some 3000 rounds.

What billion dollar low radar cross section tchotchke do they make in your district, congressman?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is insane how sacrilegious this is

Insert obligatory "can you imagine if Obama did this"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

SocketWrench posted:

I don't think it changed. It's just by '08 there was a candidate that really motivated people to come out and inspired people on one side while the other side had an angry grandpa and a ditz of a VP selection. Support didn't change for Dubya, it's just his party tossed a Hillary out to be next at bat

Support absolutely plummeted for Bush in his second term, by the end of it he was polling at like 25% approval (and he had absurdly high approval like 80% or something right after 9/11). Trump right now is massively more popular than Bush in 2007 / 2008.

The economy and Iraq were definitely contributors, but I think the writing was already on the wall by the time the economy crashed. I remember Katrina being a big turning point in terms of the public turning against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Freudian slippers posted:

Are you sure you're not mixing this up with the last incident? Because that's exactly, literally what happened the last time. Border agent, tannerite, etc.

poo poo, you’re right. CNN was running it because they don’t have newer sensational footage I guess.