Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm positive that spell lands don't work with uro because they aren't land cards and for the uro-lite green sorcery they specifically templated it to say you may play an additional land this turn, which does work. I'd put money on it.

That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If they don't wiggle the rules to make it work, though, it's going to cause a ton of feel bad moments. It feels so much like it ought to, they're basically forced to find a way to make it work.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Huxley posted:

If they don't wiggle the rules to make it work, though, it's going to cause a ton of feel bad moments. It feels so much like it ought to, they're basically forced to find a way to make it work.

They aren't forced to do anything. They considered it and decided against it already. It doesn't work, it isn't going to work in the future. Accept it.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Giving Historic challenge one more go because I'm greedy and want to see if I can top 6 wins, and gotta give a shout out to my Jund opponent in Round One who left in Thoughtseize and shocked himself in Game 2 to cast it on t1, took Grafdigger's Cage instead of Wizard's Lightning or LUTS, and then died on turn 4

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Magic Underwear posted:

They aren't forced to do anything. They considered it and decided against it already. It doesn't work, it isn't going to work in the future. Accept it.

Sure. I just meant it's bad to have the marquee card of your winter set be a nonbo with the marquee mechanic of the following fall set. I'm saying it's a mistake.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I'm quite new to Arena but as I'm grinding out getting daily reward gold, I've got a quick question.

I am bad at drafting but enjoy it anyway, and would like to maybe get a little better at it eventually. To this end should I just gather up gold until I hit 5k and then mash that Quick Draft button, or are there reasons that I should be saving up to 10k instead for a Premier Draft?

Also related, are there any good resources you all recommend for not sucking at draft? I've only done a couple quick drafts of M21 and did pretty good (6-3) and not so good (3-3). I'm probably gonna attempt a Premier one just to see what it's like but in general I don't feel like I am really even sure what I should be paying attention to to get better at things.

Actually, as a another follow up question, for the purposes of grinding out daily rewards gold, if I don't have many good cards, are there recommendations for decks to build that will win or lose very quickly, so I can churn through those daily games?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

In awe of the sheer quantity of people who just straight copied Gab Nassif's Jund list card for card immediately after he played it on stream

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Huxley posted:

Sure. I just meant it's bad to have the marquee card of your winter set be a nonbo with the marquee mechanic of the following fall set. I'm saying it's a mistake.

Maybe it’s an attempt to force some division in the format. You can be on the Uro ramp plan or you can be on the Dryad/DFC Landfall plan

But people are just gonna pick Uro because it also draws you cards and gains you life and beats your opponents to death and also never dies.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

waloo posted:

I'm quite new to Arena but as I'm grinding out getting daily reward gold, I've got a quick question.

I am bad at drafting but enjoy it anyway, and would like to maybe get a little better at it eventually. To this end should I just gather up gold until I hit 5k and then mash that Quick Draft button, or are there reasons that I should be saving up to 10k instead for a Premier Draft?

Also related, are there any good resources you all recommend for not sucking at draft? I've only done a couple quick drafts of M21 and did pretty good (6-3) and not so good (3-3). I'm probably gonna attempt a Premier one just to see what it's like but in general I don't feel like I am really even sure what I should be paying attention to to get better at things.

Actually, as a another follow up question, for the purposes of grinding out daily rewards gold, if I don't have many good cards, are there recommendations for decks to build that will win or lose very quickly, so I can churn through those daily games?
The thing about premier is you're drafting against real people not bots so two things:
1) they are going to actually draft good cards and cut you out of colors if you dont signal right
2) they're more expensive but give better rewards so id avoid them until youve read more draft strategy articles and done more limited

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

waloo posted:

1: 5k at a time. Premier Draft doesn't become better rewards-wise until you get up to reliably hitting a 60%-plus win-rate, which is a lot. I've been going a year or so now and I'm still almost exactly 50% except for a golden weekend when IKO first dropped. You get to draft more often, you build your gems (which you should probably fold back into drafts) and the bots are dumb, so you'll usually have an easier time building something decent and satisfying to play - but conversely, you won't learn the tricks of person-drafting well, so as and when you do feel ready to make the switch, expect a heavy learning curve. Also, much as it's tempting, don't take cards purely because they're rare (rare-drafting) - draft the best card for your deck, because winning games gets you more stuff. Even one extra win gets you more stuff than that rare would have been worth (broadly speaking, 20 gems). Valuing cards because they're rare is fine, but taking an off-colour rare just because it's rare, or a trash rare you'll never use in constructed anyway, is not ever going to be worth it unless the pack has literally nothing in your colours, and particularly in M21 draft, first picking commons and uncommons is not remotely problematic.

2: 2021 queue (for the next week or so), cycling deck. The cycling deck uses only uncommon cards except for the mana base, so it's super budget, though you'll probably struggle to craft all the uncommons for it early on. Just grab whichever of the colour challenge decks is the most aggro-y, probably mono-red, mono-white, or mono-green, and jam that until you're ready to play something else. If you do it on an unranked queue you'll mostly be matched against other starter-deck users, the matchmaking algorithm does take starter-deck use into account. When you have anough to build a decent deck, mono-red aggro is by far the quickest deck to play, but the ranked-queue meta at the moment, once you get into platinum which you will reasonably quickly even with a mediocre win-rate thanks to wins counting double before then, feels very control oriented to me so playing aggro is for the birds right now. Even if you don't enjoy laddering, it's worth getting one game in on each ladder each season just because any game gets you the lowest rank, and the lowest rank comes with free stuff at the end of the season.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hit level 80 yesterday, but don't have my Peaceful Pup in my pet selector. Does it unlock at the end of the Mastery Pass season or do I need to send a ticket?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Hit level 80 yesterday, but don't have my Peaceful Pup in my pet selector. Does it unlock at the end of the Mastery Pass season or do I need to send a ticket?

You select the dog, and there should be a small set of arrows below it to switch dog styles.

If it's not among the available dogs there then yeah send in a ticket.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Shrecknet posted:

Godlessdonut posted:

You select the dog, and there should be a small set of arrows below it to switch dog styles.

If it's not among the available dogs there then yeah send in a ticket.

Yeah, all the Ikoria cats are hidden behind the Lurrus kitten one, as if you'd want to use another one.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

You should also just be able to click the bone in game to switch skins.

On a different note, sometimes I hate the ladder.

And sometimes I win off an incredibly greedy accidental keep of a one-land hand that doesn't draw a second land until turn 4 or 5 (monowhite aggro, hand was a speaker of the heavens, a light of hope, and two alseids, plus a couple of two/three drops).

I drew into another speaker, hit the relevant 27 life on turn 3 and started making two angels a round, my opponent was on the latest CGB Ozolith monogreen, got some cards down but couldn't control the flood of angels. SOmetimes laddering sucks, but just occasionally it's hilarious.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

waloo posted:

Attempting to answer this question because it looks like the others got addressed. Here are a few of the resources I like.This is by no means exhaustive, others may have their own stuff that the recommend:

Tools
Get 17lands. Make sure you have an account and the app is on when you are drafting. This will keep track of all your draft choices, deck builds, pools and record for each draft. If you want to get better one of the best ways to do it is to post in this thread with your draft, pool and deck for commentary. People will go through your draft pick by pick and give detailed feedback, it's really useful. The rest of this post is based on my own meandering experience, the power of 17lands has been proved by scientists.

Articles
I like the MTG Arena Zone draft guides. One thing to keep in mind about most draft guides is that they are written right at the beginning of the format, often before the people writing the guides even get to play the format, or have played it a relatively small number of times. This means it gives you a rough view and I think it's most useful for archetypes but don't get stuck on the individual card valuations. Those often shift during the format. I recall back from Ikoria that Whisper Squad originally got really low scores but it steadily moved upwards in prioritization as the format went on. In M21 the same thing happened with Anointed Chorister.

There are also tier lists like Deathsie's, which can be broadly useful but be cautious of them because I think a lot of card value comes from how well it synergizes with other cards in your deck rather than raw power.

Podcasts
Lords of Limited. Remember how I told you that draft guides can get you started but things change as the format gets better explored? That's the power of a podcast like this. They do an initial look at archetypes but then the following weeks will dive more deeply into individual archetypes or go through drafts and talk over their decisions and they will often touch on what is going on with the format. They cover what is working, what is not, what is overrated and underrated, etc. They have a useful and active Discord as well (costs a minimum of $1 per month).

Streamers
I watch BenS. He's on twitch of course but you can also catch his drafts later on youtube. Ben is generally considered one of the better drafters ever and he does a good job exploring his reasoning for picks as he goes along. He also goes beyond just picks and into mana sources, synergy, curve, creatures vs. spells, there's a lot to learn.

So yeah, those are the things I look at. I know it seems like a lot but it's more like I read one article, listen to a podcast once or twice a week and watch a streamer while I do dishes and suddenly you're learning a lot without really trying.

Have fun drafting and don't forget that if want to know something more or talk about your drafts :justpost:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Friendship ended with Extinction Event, now Shadow's Verdict is my new worst loving enemy holy poo poo.

Like, my current best deck includes 0 cards with CMC more than 3, and Lurrus.

Imma need a new best deck.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

thespaceinvader posted:

Friendship ended with Extinction Event, now Shadow's Verdict is my new worst loving enemy holy poo poo.

Like, my current best deck includes 0 cards with CMC more than 3, and Lurrus.

Imma need a new best deck.

drat, same. I always say to myself I should make a slower mid-range or something deck, but as sonic says, Gotta go RDW.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mine's monowhite aggro, what's your RDW doing without Torbran?

Not that Torbs is gonna win games on his own.

I'm feeling really, really worried about the new standard with Extinction Even, Shadow's Verdict, and Ugin. I'm getting tired of being one or two points off winning with a massive board presence and conceding because my opponent pulled an ugin out of their wish board.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's also that Red spell that hits everything for two for three, a lot of decks are going to have a very hard time with that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I can handle that on a good draw with either of my main aggro decks, pretty easily. Losing some 1-drops in white aggro isn't terrible if you're well established with some board presence and life.

I doubt it makes it into most red decks, but it might well be a wishboard card for Temur Adventures to replace Flame Sweep.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I'm in a similar boat as you. I've been playing constructed for a while and just now looking into limited. Lone goat told me to check out this guy.

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/author/alex-nikolic/

Limited resources is a podcast/youtube show you definitely wanna know. Both sources do follow ups a few weeks after release about meta shifts like Grifter said.

Draftsim.com lets you do mock drafts that are more in line with person drafts. E.g. the lovely rares wheel. There is a "suggest a card" button you can toggle and you can build your deck afterwards.

There is a "deck strength" matchmaking system in the unranked play queue.

As far as doing your games quick, I have a theory that if you use one of the better 2 color starter decks and get good with it, you can plow through other people that are playing the base mono colored ones.

I made a couple alt accounts and speedran through the tutorial while watching tv yesterday. That way I can do a few practice drafts.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I really enjoy limited and have had pretty good success in unknown draft formats by sticking to things I’ve learned from these guides:

I thought Rietzl’s limited guide was pretty good https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/articles/how-to-learn-limited/

tldr: Get games in, not everyone is good at theorycrafting until they have data

As is CABS (cards that affect the board) theory https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/limited-information/cabs-theory-2015-08-19

tldr: Draft simple decks with cards that have meaningful text for reducing your opponent’s lifetotal to 0.

Which also overlaps with BREAD theory (bombs removal evasion aggro and duds) https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/melissadetora-041212-a-beginners-guide-to-drafting

tldr: Figure out the balance of cards you want to go for, reducing the amounts of duds you take in to your deck by better knowing the format (see 1 and 2)

Ben Stark’s stream is also fantastic for limited, as is Michael Jacob’s

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Share Bear posted:

Which also overlaps with BREAD theory (bombs removal evasion aggro and duds) https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/melissadetora-041212-a-beginners-guide-to-drafting

Almost made it a whole month before someone posted BREAD again, can we please stop poisoning new players' brains with this garbage?

BREAD hasn't been relevant in many many years, that article is from eight years ago and doesn't apply to modern day draft formats.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I hope sultai is non-viable for the next standard. Its been T1 for too long and needs to go to the same place mono blue aggro went.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

I hope sultai is non-viable for the next standard. Its been T1 for too long and needs to go to the same place mono blue aggro went.

Harvard?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pssh

Carnegie Mellon

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

It's going to stay viable, Uro's going nowhere, it just got Cultivate and Ugin, and it's getting a whole new exile-all wipe to go with it all as well as some of the better modal DFCs as well as two of the three double sided dual lands it needs.

I'd be surprised if it's not top tier for a long time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
20 years later and I still hate mill decks. They just feel smug.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Azuth0667 posted:

I will not miss Nissa or Krasis for one single minute

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Mooseontheloose posted:

20 years later and I still hate mill decks. They just feel smug.

They're great for quick wins in the play queue though; I'd say a solid 60% of people just scoop the instant Teferi's Tutelage drops

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

With that new kicker spell I think Mill is going to be pretty good in Historic Bo1 now lol. The big downside is you basically draw your opponent an Uro/Krox and give it all the food it could ever need for the rest of the game, but I think you're probably just faster than the pyro/sac decks right now.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's going to stay viable, Uro's going nowhere, it just got Cultivate and Ugin, and it's getting a whole new exile-all wipe to go with it all as well as some of the better modal DFCs as well as two of the three double sided dual lands it needs.

I'd be surprised if it's not top tier for a long time.

I'm hoping other colors get something that hoses them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well, black just got a new thing that exiles yard-ugins.

Wait poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The problem is that white, green, and red decks do not have counter play to Ugin. U/B can theoretically stop an Ugin from happening but the only counter play Naya decks have to Ugin is to kill their opponent before they play one. If Ugin comes down if you aren’t holding questing beast or a similarly huge hasty creature in the game is over, regardless of how much damage you’ve dealt so far

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Is it the worst thing though to have an 8 mana game-ender in the format? I thought it was just accepted that if you're playing an aggro deck, you have a window in which to kill your opponent, and then after that you lose. At least Ugin is a hard stop to the match.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Funkdreamer posted:

Is it the worst thing though to have an 8 mana game-ender in the format? I thought it was just accepted that if you’re playing an aggro deck, you have a window in which to kill your opponent, and then after that you lose. At least Ugin is a hard stop to the match.

There used to be decks, in the before times, called “Myd-Raynge” and those decks would use creatures (like aggro) but also use interaction and disruption (like control) to leverage their powerful creatures. Ugin negates those decks completely.

Ramp has completely subsumed the Midrange part of the meta game. There is no Midrange in standard, there is aggro decks on the low end, and then 8 mana Ugin and 10 mana krasis on the other side, and no game ever meaningfully plays with 5-6-7 mana anymore. Decks just shift from 4 mana on t3 to 10 mana on T4-5 and that’s the game now.

Also the idea that any Aggro deck should just wrap it up after T5 and yell “shows over folks!” loving sucks and there have been lots of standard environments when that wasn’t the case and games could go back and forth. There is never any back and forth on Ugin.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Bust Rodd posted:

The problem is that white, green, and red decks do not have counter play to Ugin. U/B can theoretically stop an Ugin from happening but the only counter play Naya decks have to Ugin is to kill their opponent before they play one. If Ugin comes down if you aren’t holding questing beast or a similarly huge hasty creature in the game is over, regardless of how much damage you’ve dealt so far

It isn't quite that desperate. Removal still works, and you have a decent chance if you can play anything that has four or more health. Usually their hand is pretty dry by the time they can play ugin. The ugin player wants you to despair concede but I've both won against ugin and lost after playing ugin. Adventure particularly has an edge because clovers stay in play. Nissa lands too.

Also I think at some point soon uro is going to be banned and ugin won't be such a big deal.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lone Goat posted:

Almost made it a whole month before someone posted BREAD again, can we please stop poisoning new players' brains with this garbage?

BREAD hasn't been relevant in many many years, that article is from eight years ago and doesn't apply to modern day draft formats.

Isn't BREAD still way easier to teach to new people? I'm not a great drafter but BREAD is still way stronger than following my instincts, and I can't understand quartile theory or whatever it's called.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

There used to be decks, in the before times, called “Myd-Raynge” and those decks would use creatures (like aggro) but also use interaction and disruption (like control) to leverage their powerful creatures. Ugin negates those decks completely.

Ramp has completely subsumed the Midrange part of the meta game. There is no Midrange in standard, there is aggro decks on the low end, and then 8 mana Ugin and 10 mana krasis on the other side, and no game ever meaningfully plays with 5-6-7 mana anymore. Decks just shift from 4 mana on t3 to 10 mana on T4-5 and that’s the game now.

Also the idea that any Aggro deck should just wrap it up after T5 and yell “shows over folks!” loving sucks and there have been lots of standard environments when that wasn’t the case and games could go back and forth. There is never any back and forth on Ugin.

Yeah, this is a good way of putting it. The absolute top end of a format warps things a lot more than any other type of card imo.

The last really good standard had the 5 CMC Teferi as a control finisher, and while that's obviously a really strong card, it's not the sort of thing that requires only the absolute fastest aggro decks to reliably beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Suggest something more relevant rather than just making GBS threads on it.

I provided this with the context of the other two newbie/non-pro oriented guides, all 3 of which I have found helpful.