Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Can you do anything to end a neverending holy war? There's a holy war for Castille that's been going on for 20 years now and it's at 1 % for the attackers. The two sides just keep trading victories, no one has ever been close to winning. It's keeping me from forming my empire and usurping England and it really sucks 'cause my guy is 64 now and will die soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

csidle posted:

Can you do anything to end a neverending holy war? There's a holy war for Castille that's been going on for 20 years now and it's at 1 % for the attackers. The two sides just keep trading victories, no one has ever been close to winning. It's keeping me from forming my empire and usurping England and it really sucks 'cause my guy is 64 now and will die soon.
switch your player character to the attacker and surrender. if a religious head called it you might be out of luck.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Qubee posted:

How do you do supply runs?

Frida Call Me posted:

Haven't tried it but seems simple in concept. ---

Yup, don't -need- to have a supply oriented commander either.
If you have army A sieging/managing an area and they're low on supplies:
Either split off a part of the army to return to friendly/occupied territory, have them chill for a bit, then return to and merge with the main forces.

Or have Army B refill supplies while in a friendly area, then meet up with and merge with Army A.
Then if you need to do it again you can just split and repeat.

I've primarily found use for it when I have one or two armies sieging for extended periods while low on supplies, or when they're getting hit by a lot of attrition over time due to lots of low supply regions.
Just splitting off chunks off a spearhead to idle in occupied territory for a bit, then rejoin the spearhead is also a decent way to handle it. Kinda like caterpillars or maggots crawling over eachother to increase the speed they can move at.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

megane posted:

I think the Chance of Children display is bugged, is the problem here.

Yeah I've definitely had children from marriages that supposedly had no chance, and some characters it never seems to say anything except "none".

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

megane posted:

I think the Chance of Children display is bugged, is the problem here.
I know it'll drop to 'none' if you've hit the cap on the number of living children you can have.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh hey, some random person in my Dynasty activated the 'Strengthen Bloodline' or whatever the Strong Blood decision is called.
For some reason I was expecting the AI to never activate it themselves, considering how many characters in the younger generations of my Dynasty are loving stacked traitswise.

Not gonna say no to a bunch of my dynasty members suddenly having Good health. :toot:

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Anyone know how to bargain to get someone out of prison? Some random guy has my heir's betrothed in jail so they can't get married. I also can't seem to break the engagement so I'm not sure what to do.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SubNat posted:

Oh hey, some random person in my Dynasty activated the 'Strengthen Bloodline' or whatever the Strong Blood decision is called.
For some reason I was expecting the AI to never activate it themselves, considering how many characters in the younger generations of my Dynasty are loving stacked traitswise.

Not gonna say no to a bunch of my dynasty members suddenly having Good health. :toot:

I'm pretty sure how it works in Paradox games is that the AI will slam any button that lights up in the decision window

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I had a daughter betrothed to another character, but somehow in the last few years he got his balls cut off and became a eunich. When she came of age she was stuck in the betrothal, but the marriage also couldn't be accepted. I had to take a huge opinion hit with basically everyone by breaking the betrothal I had no choice but to break.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I had a daughter betrothed to another character, but somehow in the last few years he got his balls cut off and became a eunich. When she came of age she was stuck in the betrothal, but the marriage also couldn't be accepted. I had to take a huge opinion hit with basically everyone by breaking the betrothal I had no choice but to break.

Yeah, that happens if the groom is in a mercenary company too. It'll happily let you do the engagement, but the wedding is forbidden so you have to break it.

There's a lot of little hidden gotchas in the UI that can be pretty frustrating. Someone on reddit has a picture of them trying to consecrate their bloodline and describing all of the crusades/sacrifices/etc/etc they needed to do to get the piety and holy sites and whatnot, and it's forbidden because they've got the "Content" trait

e: Found the picture

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 8, 2020

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Azhais posted:

Yeah, that happens if the groom is in a mercenary company too. It'll happily let you do the engagement, but the wedding is forbidden so you have to break it.

There's a lot of little hidden gotchas in the UI that can be pretty frustrating. Someone on reddit has a picture of them trying to consecrate their bloodline and describing all of the crusades/sacrifices/etc/etc they needed to do to get the piety and holy sites and whatnot, and it's forbidden because they've got the "Content" trait

Ouch. Hopefully that's just an oversight since the the whole point of the stress system is to make it so you don't have lame moments like this where you're not allowed to do something because your dude has the wrong trait.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Azhais posted:

Seems a bit silly to have any hard trait blocks like that when the stress system already exists. Just have it give a massive stress increase. Not like a content ruler can't be prodded by their wife/children to do stuff out of their comfort zone to make their lives easier.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Azhais posted:

Same here, but with the Humble trait

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah this is an obvious statement, but so many of these issues are going to be ironed out, then re-ironed, and ironed again in a way that kind of looks bad, throughout the course of the next few years. Ck2 had flimsy mechanics and interactions at the outset too.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Zeron posted:

Seems a bit silly to have any hard trait blocks like that when the stress system already exists. Just have it give a massive stress increase.

I am hoping there will be ways to reform your traits in a future dlc, like you could do in a religious society in CK2. Ways which would be stressful but also have events and story, not just a number.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So I'm thinking about trying to form an entirely new empire instead of going for Britannia, since I'm significantly closer to the target number of counties. If I later would be able to form Britannia, would Confederate Partition force me to create it on death and split up two empires?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Zeron posted:

Seems a bit silly to have any hard trait blocks like that when the stress system already exists. Just have it give a massive stress increase. Not like a content ruler can't be prodded by their wife/children to do stuff out of their comfort zone to make their lives easier.

I love the stress system but some of it is pretty absurd. Like my ambitious character going into a full mental break when handing out titles after a giant kingdom holy war because "he's ambitious" - like dude chill you're 30 titles over - we're not doing North Korea mode.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the stress thing is cool and i like the idea of "you can't really go against your personality too much" but yeah, its just kinda too static now. but like you can easily fix some of that stuff with more events and stuff, well outside of like, the pure number-y side of it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

FileNotFound posted:

I love the stress system but some of it is pretty absurd. Like my ambitious character going into a full mental break when handing out titles after a giant kingdom holy war because "he's ambitious" - like dude chill you're 30 titles over - we're not doing North Korea mode.

Give them to your existing vassals, don't make new ones and you'll be fine

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Eej posted:

But I want to give it to unlanded members of my dynasty - and I want that entire kingdom to break off later so I can farm renown.

Edit: As I understand having independent dynasty members with their own kingdoms basically gives you towns of renown for your dynasty.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Eej posted:

hosed up

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

I am hoping there will be ways to reform your traits in a future dlc, like you could do in a religious society in CK2. Ways which would be stressful but also have events and story, not just a number.

this is already possible, but it seems entirely up to random events. i know theres an event tree to get either cynical or zealous, and diplomats (i think?) can get an event tree to remove negative traits from their adult children and turn them into virtues.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Imo it should just not give stress (or give very little) when you give out titles that are over your limit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FileNotFound posted:

But I want to give it to unlanded members of my dynasty - and I want that entire kingdom to break off later so I can farm renown.

Edit: As I understand having independent dynasty members with their own kingdoms basically gives you towns of renown for your dynasty.

Yes spreading your dynasty around to hold lots of independent titles will give you a bunch of prestige - you get 1 point for each independent king, 2 for emperors. Although the AI really sucks at keeping itself in charge so you may need to go in there and reconquer them at some point in the future to install another relative on the throne.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Very cool how unlanded Popes can eternally keep calling Crusades, even with absolutely no support, to retake various kingdoms in Francia even after I reduce Christianity to next-to-nothingness

I love being stuck in a war for 10 years where there is no land to capture (Rome was mine centuries ago) to end it quicker.

Great system.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah but the character trait is personal ambition not dynastic ambition so letting kingdoms go independent definitely is contrary to your character.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Excelzior posted:

Very cool how unlanded Popes can eternally keep calling Crusades, even with absolutely no support, to retake various kingdoms in Francia even after I reduce Christianity to next-to-nothingness

I love being stuck in a war for 10 years where there is no land to capture (Rome was mine centuries ago) to end it quicker.

Great system.

What religion are you? maybe convert to one of the pagans/muslims who can take the "dismantle the papacy" decision.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Although the AI really sucks at keeping itself in charge so you may need to go in there and reconquer them at some point in the future to install another relative on the throne.

That's why you do a holy war, and give every title from the bottom up to random relatives. Odds are pretty good that whoever you leave in charge will get stabbed in the back about 3 months in by his cousin who will then upset everyone else with their kinslayer trait and get dethroned in a rebellion by your other relatives....

The other benefit is that if you spam titles to your non primary sons, your primary heir gets the core titles that you want them to get while your other sons already got their own titles that you handed out earlier.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
My liege got a hook on me by fighting a war to press my claim, and used it to make me pay more tax. Then I schemed and got a hook on him, but I can't use it to pay less tax, because 'my obligations have already been changed'. That seems arbitrarily gamey to me, why on earth shouldn't I be able to renegotiate?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man the transition from Tribal to Feudal is intense. Playing as a Rurikid king of Ruthenia owning most of Russia (the border gore between my various relatives is insane and I kinda hate it kinda love it) I went from 30k levies and the biggest swinging dick around to 7k. The Empire is coming for the Rurikid kingdom of Sicily now oh boy.

e: Also despite coming into this with 5k gold I'm now broke as gently caress lol

e2: It's weird not having a way to proactively get gold now.

e3: loving hell a lot of these building upgrades take 100 years to pay for themselves?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 9, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TaurusTorus posted:

What religion are you? maybe convert to one of the pagans/muslims who can take the "dismantle the papacy" decision.

Messalian. I can't switch to any religion that doesn't include equality since about half my vassals are queens

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Took me almost 50 hours to figure out how to build a Keep :downs:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Some rando just arrived in my court and turns out he has The Plague

:ohdear: It has begun spreading amongst my courtiers (I won't mind if it kills the first person it spread to, my dipshit learning 4 archbishop)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Seriously how the hell do you get money as a feudal ruler? Hurry up and wait? Abduct the Roman Emperor over and over?

Granted my men at arms from the tribal days now cost me about a third of my income...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously how the hell do you get money as a feudal ruler? Hurry up and wait? Abduct the Roman Emperor over and over?

Granted my men at arms from the tribal days now cost me about a third of my income...

Build stuff up, make sure your vassals are paying their dues (Use hooks or whatever to increase their feudal contract tax rates), and if you're Catholic ask the Pope for cash whenever the chance arises.

e; My archbishop survived the plague :negative:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Can I get some help? I'm finding it very difficult to just pick a ruler and get started.

I want to play as a not-very-powerful house that uses diplomacy and intrigue to grow. So far, based on the tutorial, I don't find the military part of the game very interesting.

What is a good character to select that meets that criteria? I know a lot of people say to start in Ireland, but it doesn't seem as fertile a ground for such scheming, at least based on my look at the available characters there. Am I wrong in that assessment?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

blue squares posted:

Can I get some help? I'm finding it very difficult to just pick a ruler and get started.

I want to play as a not-very-powerful house that uses diplomacy and intrigue to grow. So far, based on the tutorial, I don't find the military part of the game very interesting.

What is a good character to select that meets that criteria? I know a lot of people say to start in Ireland, but it doesn't seem as fertile a ground for such scheming, at least based on my look at the available characters there. Am I wrong in that assessment?

No you're correct, that kind of play is possibly better suited to existing kingdoms where you can be some random duke and be Littlefinger. Ireland's situation means war is inevitable, even if you don't start one the vikings or Scots or someone are going to come calling. Your best bets for that are probably going to be finding someone with appropriate traits in either Byzantium, the Seljuks, or the HRE.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-41-a-grand-thank-you

quote:

In the near future we’ll be looking at collecting and addressing as many of your issues as we can. The upcoming patch (release date TBD) is a mix of improvements that didn’t make it into the release (including some really fancy UI upgrades!), and bug fixes based on your feedback. Patch notes will be posted closer in time to when the patch will be released. If you have an issue, make sure to report it here so that it’s sure to be looked at!

Raising less than a fully levy, I hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

iirc there's a duke bordering france and hre in 1066 that fits your criteria