Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bust Rodd posted:

I think we’re more looking for a “If a creature would be exiled from the battlefield, it’s controller may instead move them to the graveyard” type of thing for exile

Ah, so an Adventure card hoser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Party is going to be constructed playable if we have any cards that are good without party and amazing with it. I do hope we get something like that just so we can have a PARTY HARD deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mat Cauthon posted:

Aetherborn is too much value to drop, even if casting it is a pain in the Orzhov vamps deck. Seems like you'd keep Aetherborn and run this guy as a 4 of in addition.

It does seem like the one most like to get broken in half.

Might be retiring Adanto Vanguard in the face of Soul-Scar Mage in Historic, might be time to go monoblack.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

fadam posted:

Yeah, exactly.

I don't see any reason you couldn't have "You can sacrifice permanents you don't control" on a card, but I also don't see any costs at which it's printable. Viscera Seer gets rid of every creature on the field at instant speed ignoring shroud/hexproof and indestructible, Zuran Orb armageddons all your opponents for free while gaining you life. There don't appear to be any generic permanent saccers for no Mana, but claws of gix becomes 1, destroy anything. Even in commander I dont think anyone wants a card that basically reads 'opponents can't have cards in play'. Could be interesting like once per turn though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

kalvanoo posted:

i thought it would cost 3B and even then it was overcosted.

A board wipe for tiny guys, with exile rider, that also cleans out graveyards, it'd be ridiculous.

Like Skyclave Shade is kicked out from wherever it is, Grakmaw is obliterated and they don't get the backup hydra, Jace and his own clone are both out, a lot of Kicker guys are underneath the threshold, it's really versatile and strong even at 5.

Uro is a broken turd, but making Shadows' Verdict broken to match will gently caress up Standard for even longer, and it'd set the precedent it's ok to print broken turds if they answer broken turds.

Also too strong Shadows' Verdict means Questing Beast is even more obnoxious than before. Augh.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
You could do "cards can't be exiled" if it was just a replacement effect.

"If a card would be exiled from anywhere, put it on the bottom of it's owner's library instead"

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Some Numbers posted:

Didn't Radiant Destiny see some play?

From a quick look, barely any high level play compared to Pride of Conquerors.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bugsy posted:

Wasn't that more about skymarcher was a good aggro card on its own? I dont think it even played the ascend pump spell after kaladesh rotated but could be wrong about it.

It also played that 0/3 Ascend dinosaur. Ascend for sure wasn't the glue it was just an icing on the cake kind of thing if you were already ramping out Legion's Landing, Skymarcher, some tokens, the Loxodon Convoke guy, etc.

Party seems like the same sort of situation - you don't build around it but if you can get it rolling in the course of your deck doing whatever your Plan A is then party is a nice Plan B to benefit from.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Might be retiring Adanto Vanguard in the face of Soul-Scar Mage in Historic, might be time to go monoblack.

Yeah that's where I'm at with it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just played some test games with an aggressive Esper Party deck, and I think that resolving Coveted Prize with a full party is a fantasy. Naya Party looks a bit more promising, although unfortunately the only good Wizard in those colours (so far) is Tajuru Paragon.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Again, the party cards you're interested in are on or above rate with 2 and very strong with 3. 4 is a pipe dream most of the time.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

kalvanoo posted:

i thought it would cost 3B and even then it was overcosted.

You're talking about the new 3BB board clear? You expected a vastly better ritual of soot to also be easier to cast or just straight up cheaper? Are you insane?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To me a lot of the time party is just going to be incidental cost reduction for some big powerful cards in your deck. Even just 2 cost reduction can be huge depending on the card after all, anything better is just gravy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah that's where I'm at with it.

Going back and forth since Vanguard is good against Wrath decks, and not like it wasn't already getting sided out against red. But Sorin+Gifted+this one might make it time to use Vito and possibly a cleric/lifegain subtheme in turn.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

"Skull-Smasher Attacker"
1RR
Creature - Giant Warrior
Kicker 2

Trample, haste

If kicked, "Skull-Smasher Attacker" enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter.

At the beginning of the end phase, if it has no +1/+1 counter on it, return to hand.
4/3

"Verazol, the Divided Stream"
XGU
Legendary Creature - Serpent
When Verazol, the Divided Stream enters the battlefield, put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the amount of mana spent to cast it.

Whenever you cast a kicked spell, you may remove two +1/+1 counters from Verazol. If you do, you may copy that spell and choose new targets for the copy.
0/0

"Makindi Throne"
Land
T: Add ◊.

1, T: Put a charge counter on Makindi Throne.

T, remove a charge counter from Makindi Throne: Add two mana of any color. Use this mana only to cast kicker spells.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Blackbloom Rogue can be transformed into Blackbloom Bog with Moonmist.

It takes a lot of poo poo to transform it back.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Oops thought I linked this one.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Mat Cauthon posted:

It also played that 0/3 Ascend dinosaur. Ascend for sure wasn't the glue it was just an icing on the cake kind of thing if you were already ramping out Legion's Landing, Skymarcher, some tokens, the Loxodon Convoke guy, etc.

Party seems like the same sort of situation - you don't build around it but if you can get it rolling in the course of your deck doing whatever your Plan A is then party is a nice Plan B to benefit from.

Yeah forgot about that little fucker.

This is new right?
[

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bugsy posted:

Yeah forgot about that little fucker.

This is new right?
[

Strictly inferior to omen of the sea.

The art really gives me the classic magic mood. It is goofy in just the right way.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Strictly inferior to omen of the sea.

The art really gives me the classic magic mood. It is goofy in just the right way.

No it isnt, this being an instant is a major difference. For instance, It grows crackling drake.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mandatory lesbian posted:

No it isnt, this being an instant is a major difference. For instance, It grows crackling drake.

For the way standard is built now, Omen is better. And this being 2 mana makes it a non-starter in any other format.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Going back and forth since Vanguard is good against Wrath decks, and not like it wasn't already getting sided out against red. But Sorin+Gifted+this one might make it time to use Vito and possibly a cleric/lifegain subtheme in turn.

There are enough 1 and 2 drop vamps with lifelink to make it work for sure, including that new cleric that got spoiled and also this thing:

Seems like the incidental drain effects might be enough to put vamps/clerics over the top.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

For the way standard is built now, Omen is better. And this being 2 mana makes it a non-starter in any other format.

Sure, omen is better, but not strictly better. Which is my point

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Magic Underwear posted:

You're talking about the new 3BB board clear? You expected a vastly better ritual of soot to also be easier to cast or just straight up cheaper? Are you insane?

wrath effects should cost 4. this is worse than a wrath effect, but its nice that it hits planeswalkers. graveyard hate should always be 100% free. at 4 the card is playable, and maybe impacts this standard (though i doubt it). answers should always be cheaper than threats.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
You know double-faced cards have the mana cost of the front?

Emeria, Shattered Skyclave adds 3 devotion to white.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the hypothetical card you're describing would make ritual of soot, a card that saw constructed play, look like an absolute joke

I know magic has been very powerful recently but printing a wildly better version of a card from 2 years ago is not a sustainable solution

(Also the 'answers are better than threats' format means bringing back elixir of immortality as a win condition so let's not do that)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
No, it doesn’t.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Blackbloom Rogue can be transformed into Blackbloom Bog with Moonmist.

It takes a lot of poo poo to transform it back.

i think they've already said moonmist doesn't work like this but i couldn't find it on a brief google

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

kalvanoo posted:

wrath effects should cost 4. this is worse than a wrath effect, but its nice that it hits planeswalkers. graveyard hate should always be 100% free. at 4 the card is playable, and maybe impacts this standard (though i doubt it). answers should always be cheaper than threats.

So in your mind tormods crypt should cantrip and soot should cost 3 and hit planeswalkers. Black rarely gets any wrath effects and I think damnation is literally the only time they've gotten it at four. And graveyard hate always costs.

The card would indeed be bad in the alternate universe version of mtg you have in your head but your judgement is really off when it comes to the reality version that the rest of us play.

Exiling creatures and walkers and yards in one card is unique and it will probably see play as long as uro is around.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You know double-faced cards have the mana cost of the front?

Emeria, Shattered Skyclave adds 3 devotion to white.

Nope. Not a thing for mdfcs

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whydirt posted:

No, it doesn’t.

I did look at 711.4b again and I had a bad source that forgot the converted part!

quote:

711.4b While a double-faced permanent’s back face is up, it has only the characteristics of its back face. However, its converted mana cost is calculated using the mana cost of its front face. If a permanent is copying the back face of a double-faced card (even if the card representing that copy is itself a double-faced card), the converted mana cost of that permanent is 0.

Emeria, Shattered Skyclave would have 7 cmc unless-

Some Goon posted:

Nope. Not a thing for mdfcs

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/zendikar-rising-mechanics-2020-09-01 posted:

Most of the rules that govern how transforming double-faced cards apply to the new modal variety.

Load-bearing Most from the mechanics article, but unless it's a one-off tweet from the rules manager I don't know where you'd be getting that.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

This reads like one of those AI-generated cards

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It would be more flavorful if you could play it from the gy by sacrificing four constructs. Like T-1000 shattering and reforming.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

No goobers if it dies normally? Booooooo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Magic Underwear posted:

So in your mind tormods crypt should cantrip

Yes, then 12 bauble will rule the world

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bugsy posted:

No goobers if it dies normally? Booooooo

If it dies you can't sacrifice because it's already in the graveyard.

kalvanoo posted:

This is akin to Consume the Meek which costs more than the things it kills because the point is you get the little guys but your own big boy lives.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

This is akin to Consume the Meek which costs more than the things it kills because the point is you get the little guys but your own big boy lives.

they just had ritual of soot in standard. It costs more than 4 because of the exile, not the three cmc limitation. Also that’s an instant

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Party seems like one of those mechanics that makes for really cool limited play and does literally nothing in constructed. I hope I'm wrong but like, having 4 creatures of 4 different specific types is a big ask

FWIW they clearly know that since a few cards have all 4 types but still, seems like it will never come together

i'm not very optimistic either, "untap with multiple creatures in play" has historically been one of the steepest costs in the game

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Magic Underwear posted:

So in your mind tormods crypt should cantrip and soot should cost 3 and hit planeswalkers. Black rarely gets any wrath effects and I think damnation is literally the only time they've gotten it at four. And graveyard hate always costs.

The card would indeed be bad in the alternate universe version of mtg you have in your head but your judgement is really off when it comes to the reality version that the rest of us play.

Exiling creatures and walkers and yards in one card is unique and it will probably see play as long as uro is around.

an escaped uro costs 4, generates immediate value, and puts your opponent on a clock. this card costing 4 would generate no value, would be a purely reactive play, and would really only serve to make playing uro slightly risky (relying on the gy should be a risk). it would also only be a sideboard card. linear magic sucks poo poo man watching people race uros is boring garbage.

crypt shouldn't cantrip obviously but its costed correctly at 0. ground seal cantrips at 2 which i think is properly costed as well. planar void costs 1, leyline is free.

black gets plenty of sweepers at 4 (yahenni's expertise, languish, whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I did look at 711.4b again and I had a bad source that forgot the converted part!

Emeria, Shattered Skyclave would have 7 cmc unless-

Load-bearing Most from the mechanics article, but unless it's a one-off tweet from the rules manager I don't know where you'd be getting that.

Maro