Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

blue squares posted:

Losing your capital to an occupying army doesn’t matter ok

I mean for actual warfare castles falling was rare but in the exact Scenario as it played out no not really. As your army would just take it back as there is no realistic way for that army could hold it for any length of time.

Real life isn’t like a video game your capital isn’t like a flag in capture the flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nope I’m war losing a siege in your homeland doesn’t really matter if your winning. It’s more a result of warscore being all or nothing when your small

Capturing the enemy leader is 100% warscore no matter what size you are. Of course it instantly wins the war because they could just right click execute you.

Speaking of which I gotta try doing that to some AI and see what happens

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

blue squares posted:

There’s precedent for it though. Nations that leave their homeland undefended are susceptible to armies invading

It's how the Emperor Heracleus won the last Roman-Persian war, the Persians had basically conquered the Near East and were moving into Asia Minor and Heracleus, with the Empire in shambles and unable to directly fight the Persians, just went "gently caress it, I'm invading Persia", which he did and basically went on a rampage there which included destroying at least one (might have been two) of the Great Fires and pretty much doing irreparable damage to the political and religious legitimacy of the Sassanids and the Zoroastrian religious establishment. War ends with Persians surrendering their conquest and borders returning to the old status quo.

This was also shortly before the Muslims came around.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Eschatos posted:

So I'm thinking about trying to form an entirely new empire instead of going for Britannia, since I'm significantly closer to the target number of counties. If I later would be able to form Britannia, would Confederate Partition force me to create it on death and split up two empires?

In CK2 forming a custom empire would move all the kingdoms you controlled to be dejure part of your new empire immediately if their default empire does not exist. So for example if you held all of Ireland and Wales plus half of Scotland and no one was emperor of Britania your new empire would be the kingdoms of Ireland and Wales, but Scotland would still belong to Brittania.

I don’t know if the rules are different in 3.

Regardless if you end up meeting the criteria to form a second empire confederate partition will create it for your heir (making them independent).

Mister Olympus posted:

So my wife has this phantom duchy with no titles above or below it, and she doesn't hold any land. What gives? It doesn't even normally have a place on the map.

There are some titles (like head of religion) that don’t have any land associated with them.

Eej posted:

Capturing the enemy leader is 100% warscore no matter what size you are. Of course it instantly wins the war because they could just right click execute you.

Speaking of which I gotta try doing that to some AI and see what happens

It kills the leader then makes the war score whatever it was before you captured them. Generally not worth it.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 9, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

As anyone who has played Dwarf Fortress knows, carp are hardcore.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Randarkman posted:

It's how the Emperor Heracleus won the last Roman-Persian war, the Persians had basically conquered the Near East and were moving into Asia Minor and Heracleus, with the Empire in shambles and unable to directly fight the Persians, just went "gently caress it, I'm invading Persia", which he did and basically went on a rampage there which included destroying at least one (might have been two) of the Great Fires and pretty much doing irreparable damage to the political and religious legitimacy of the Sassanids and the Zoroastrian religious establishment. War ends with Persians surrendering their conquest and borders returning to the old status quo.

This was also shortly before the Muslims came around.

They also defeated the secondary Persian Army after successfully bargaining the main army to neutrality in Syria.

That and he was able to convince the steppe tribes to raid

He had the stronger army of the two at the end of the war

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It will definitely always cost you a lot of gold. You shouldn't have too much of a problem raising your economy to the point where it doesn't throw you too deep into negative income though. Even at the start of the campaign, with a well-managed realm you should be able to declare war without going into debt, unless you've picked an especially difficult start. Build more economy buildings and save up some money before declaring war.

Strobe posted:

No, Levies have a fixed base upkeep of 1000 levies/1 gold/month. So if you have 5500 levies (and no men at arms) it would cost 5.5 gold/month upkeep if they're raised.

It's pretty trivial to have 6+ gold a month from a single duchy level title if it's even a little bit upgraded as feudal.

It's less the levies and more the men at arms. and what exactly is "well developed" post-tribal conversion; every holding with slots filled? every holding slots filled at level 2?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Broken Cog posted:

Careful pissing off vengeful characters, they will never stop trying to get revenge. I raided some vengeful dude in Gwynedd 20 years ago, and he is still trying to murder me with schemes.

That explains why I had three generations of the same bloodline constantly harrassing me. I thought I was crazy, that I must have remembered the names wrong. Funny thing is, I have no memory of what I did to the first guy. The ultimate insult.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, I created the Kingdom of Darfur and got two Kordfan Holy Sites, although one is in the hands of a coptic vassal. I'll find a way to convert him somehow.

Now to get a third Holy Site and get the 2-3000 piety needed to make the same religion, except with equal gender laws. For Anubis!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mister Olympus posted:

It's less the levies and more the men at arms. and what exactly is "well developed" post-tribal conversion; every holding with slots filled? every holding slots filled at level 2?

Oh I didn't realize you meant after converting from tribal to fuedal and not just starting in feudal. That seems super not worth it right now and I can't help but think that's unintended.

In unrelated news:

Strobe posted:

I started the Sorority Thunderdome opening and then over the next 15 years had seven sons and no daughters. :negative:

Up to nine sons now, still zero daughters. :negative:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok so I think I've realized what's wrong with the Dynasty/House head inheritance. It always stays primogeniture, no matter what you change your other succession laws to.

I hope they fix that fast, so many of the game's important decisions are locked behind being dynasty head.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Chewbot posted:

That explains why I had three generations of the same bloodline constantly harrassing me. I thought I was crazy, that I must have remembered the names wrong. Funny thing is, I have no memory of what I did to the first guy. The ultimate insult.

Very good "for me, it was Tuesday" vibes

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Ok so I think I've realized what's wrong with the Dynasty/House head inheritance. It always stays primogeniture, no matter what you change your other succession laws to.

I hope they fix that fast, so many of the game's important decisions are locked behind being dynasty head.

If you form a cadet house + are the strongest guy in the dynasty you'll get the Dynasty Head position pretty quick in my experience.
But it is a very annoying and roundabout approach, not to mention tribal - excluding.
I've gotten the DH position like that half a dozen times or so.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Is there any way to see why a non-player character was excommunicated? My number one heir was excommunicated while I was fighting in a crusade. He's going to have enough problems following my legendary leader who was deposed as a child, won the kingdom of Ireland back, took most of Wales, and installed his sister and friend as queen Jerusalem. I'm worried that if he takes over as king while excommunicated the whole kingdom will get dogpiled by my neighbors. I'd at least like to know what he did so I could potentially imprison him and set up his brother as heir.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Goddamit Paradox.

https://kotaku.com/former-paradox-testers-say-we-were-severely-underpaid-1844991173

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

This isn't really a Paradox issue - there is no game company that I am aware of that treats their QA with any sort of decency.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really, you would flee pretty easily if it was realistic.

Also the emir of silica converted to Catholicism mid war so that guy was trying everything

And do what? Just wander around the countryside?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FileNotFound posted:

This isn't really a Paradox issue - there is no game company that I am aware of that treats their QA with any sort of decency.

There's even another story about call of duty linked

Game tester is a pretty poo poo job with long hours

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Broken Cog posted:

I don’t think this is true. I had ultimogeniture for most of my Ireland run and was always the head. It also tracked when I used absolute crown authority to pick my heir.

What did happen is another member of my family would temporarily be head for a few months each time my succession happened.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I know this has been covered several times here, but I’m still wrapping my head around upgrading my holdings.

I mainly try to put all my upgrades in the county of my realm capital. Should I just kind of keep doing that? Is there a point where it’s a good idea to start building up my other (personally held) counties, maybe when I can set succession laws where I’m not likely to lose the counties on death? Or something else

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Finally got a chance to play this, and I think I might have found a neat little interaction. Current guy is a Seducer with a Vengeful trait, and one of my affairs was exposed. Her husband imprisoned and executed her. So I murdered him - and got a huge stress reduction "because you have the Vengeful trait". I didn't see that when I murdered other rivals, I think.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FileNotFound posted:

It sucks though because Paradox was one of the few game devs in all of the industry (prob. because of Sweden) that had a union contract with employees, so there was a glimmer of hope that they might be better?

It looks like labor agitation was necessary

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I started a game as King Leon and I married a queen in England. She seems to have no interest in actually moving to my city. Is there something I can about that? Long distance relationships don't produce heirs!

edit: ok somehow she got pregnant anyway right after I posted this. But I still can't put her on my council.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What do the pulsing blue outlines around some counties mean?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It sucks though because Paradox was one of the few game devs in all of the industry (prob. because of Sweden) that had a union contract with employees, so there was a glimmer of hope that they might be better?

It looks like labor agitation was necessary

All the complaints are from 2019, as mentioned in the article, and they signed with unions this last July. The article itself says it's too soon to say if things will improve but CK 3 is big so Paradox article good for clicks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What happens if you banish a vassal? Do they still hold onto their titles somehow, or are they passed on to their heirs, or what?

FileNotFound posted:

That article clearly states that Paradox's treatment of QA is well below average for Sweden. So yes, it is a Paradox issue.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jaytan posted:

I don’t think this is true. I had ultimogeniture for most of my Ireland run and was always the head. It also tracked when I used absolute crown authority to pick my heir.

What did happen is another member of my family would temporarily be head for a few months each time my succession happened.

Then it might be an issue with Scandinavian Elective specifically, I guess. Maybe just an oversight.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So my India game is going pretty well:

I'm Bhaumakara in green, and what is not evident in that screenshot is that the king of Dhruvid is my father and I am in line to inherit it when he croaks, and the king of Pratihara is my husband, because I am awesome at arranging marriages (even if I did have to stab said husband's brother after arranging that marriage to ensure he'd be the one to inherit the kingdom when the time came). So I am set to basically inherit about 90% of what I need for Chakravarti, all I really need to do is peel off some territory from the north and west. North might be a bit tricky - Ü has alliances with basically all of Tibet so the total strength is comparable to my own and mountain territory is not great for big armies, but they are individually not that strong so I can probably just wait out a few of those alliances. Some of the others I should be able to just ask to vassalize them with a bit of swaying - I'm still working my way towards True Ruler so it will make up the difference for the culture/faith penalty from other Eastern religious groups.

Thinking about it, I haven't really checked up what's been going on in Europe in a while, I wonder what-

So anyway things are going great in India.

blue squares posted:

I started a game as King Leon and I married a queen in England. She seems to have no interest in actually moving to my city. Is there something I can about that? Long distance relationships don't produce heirs!

edit: ok somehow she got pregnant anyway right after I posted this. But I still can't put her on my council.

Yeah rulers will always stay in their home so you can't use them as councillors and you don't get the spouse bonus from them, but fertility is not affected so you can still have kids.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Found a secret about my brother: he's an incestous pervert! Except that he's a negotiated ally and therefore I can't use this hook/secret against him. What am I to do?

EDIT: Also he's a sodomite, oof

EDIT2: He's loving his son

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 9, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

toasterwarrior posted:

Found a secret about my brother: he's an incestous pervert! Except that he's a negotiated ally and therefore I can't use this hook/secret against him. What am I to do?

Can't beat 'em, join 'em?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

What do the pulsing blue outlines around some counties mean?

Allies in a war? I think it also outlines "fortified" baronies in blue, i.e. the ones you can/have to siege down.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
It sure was fun getting out of an alliance with a kingdom I didn't want anymore by murdering their king. Then immediately conquering said kingdom.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

finished my Alfred of wessex game. I mostly stopped playing with Britannia, Francia and Hispania and just let the final 150 years or so fly by

by 1453 the Abbasids had blobbed into a monstrous multi-empire with 220k+ troops

now imagine if primogeniture was unlocked since 867 :gonk:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
there not being a "confirm" hotkey is incredibly bad i think. doing a mass ransom after a war and having to click my mouse 30+ times is very bad. this game could also greatly benefit from the automatic diplomacy thing in eu4. like some way to automate sending out conversion demands that are at 100% or the hooks into gold thing. i conquered all of africa with like 70% of the rulers in the entire realm being my dynasty and it was too annoying to ever use that trait to its fullest. its literally physically painful to not be allowed to mash c or whatever to close popup windows

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Paradox, please... add "click on map to set claim" for Casus Belli declarations...

(also pay your QA)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have used the scandalous unveiling of my brother fornicating with his own son in order to consolidate my entire realm under my direct family's control through repeated title revocations, concluding in a dramatic banishment of their cadet branch out of the country. He really shouldn't have revolted...

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I've survived the African Thunderdome well enough to create my first Duchy. Started as Kono. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of my Imbecile newborn grandson. Married my son to a woman with Quick so of course their first offspring is a dud.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I don't know how common this is, but it's a record for me:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think my best has been this guy:

And he's missing giant + has old age modifiers, so I'm sure it's possible to get above 60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

No you're correct, that kind of play is possibly better suited to existing kingdoms where you can be some random duke and be Littlefinger. Ireland's situation means war is inevitable, even if you don't start one the vikings or Scots or someone are going to come calling. Your best bets for that are probably going to be finding someone with appropriate traits in either Byzantium, the Seljuks, or the HRE.

Being a Byzantine Doux is probably perfect for that, you're safely ensconsed in a little box where the Emperor can call out about 8000 troops at will, but you're also surrounded by a bunch of fellow vassals who want all your stuff. We've been doing a semi-coop game of Byzantine nobles in multiplayer and whoever gets the Emperor nod has to worry about smashing all the associated external threats while we merrily engage in intramural backstabs and eugenics programs.