Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

uber_stoat posted:

i follow a person on twitter who I remember from alt.gothic back in the late 90s, early oughts. she's still a purple haired goth lady. and still pretty cool imo.

Kid at the bottom left is punk rock as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

I mean if you're really asking.

It's like a whole scene

This ain't a scene, it's a god drat arms race

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Are there still Emos?

In the grim reality of 2020, everyone is Emo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj7a-p4psRA

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Am I a poser bc I like Nine Inch Nails instead of more obscure bands?? Look, I just really really liked The Downward Spiral. It came at a lovely time in my life and kept me company in the existential crisis that is going to high school.

E: I did hang out in graveyards, tho.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Oh hey I have that record

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

I heard about that but it doesn't seem to have taken hold in my region, as soon as it does I'm making the switch to tie dye and if they take that too I guess my only remaining option is goku shirts

Either that or keep wearing the shirts, get a big curly wig and maybe learn to play the accordion

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DicktheCat posted:

Am I a poser bc I like Nine Inch Nails instead of more obscure bands?? Look, I just really really liked The Downward Spiral. It came at a lovely time in my life and kept me company in the existential crisis that is going to high school.

this but also ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ and the soundtrack to The Crow

no graveyards though

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Push El Burrito posted:

Kid at the bottom left is punk rock as hell.

True story, I once wore a "The Spice Girls" T-Shirt to a The Vandals gig.

That's how punk I am!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Was going to put this in the bootleg thread but apparently this is an official crossover? I feel like the ghosts would do a double take but anyway all I see is Lionel Richie

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

From the now defunct 'Goth Day at Disneyland'

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

Hard to tell, but for everyone wondering, I think it might be Alex Terrible from Russian deathcore band, Slaughter to Prevail.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

We talking about goths in here? Here are some pictures of goths that could be considered mildly amusing, perhaps.

Goofy goths own. Overly self-serious goths own.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, economics hasn't been a science for over a century, it's cheerleading for capitalism with fake numbers

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Woebin posted:

We talking about goths in here? Here are some pictures of goths that could be considered mildly amusing, perhaps.

This is why I love you

This might also be why I’m making a goth thread

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Woebin posted:

My big brother listened to a bunch of Einstürzende Neubauten and Skinny Puppy that were pretty influential on me as well.

teen witch posted:

This is why I love you

This might also be why I’m making a goth thread

Throw a link up when you make it, I'll nostalgia out with it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lotsa goths in this thread. Maybe it's because I always saw myself as a punk and a rebel, but I hated you goths. It always seemed so cliquey and performative to me.

(What's that? A bunch of teenagers forming cliques based around similar musical/fashion tastes? And a different teenager who was excluded from that clique getting pissy about it? Such a thing has never happened.)

The line I used to use to make me feel superior to you was to accuse you all of thinking"I am going to be different, so I will dress exactly like all those people over there with their black lipstick etc. That'll show the world how clever and unique I am.". I was a pretentious arsehole as a teenager.

I have matured ever so slightly over the last few decades, but black lipstick and heavy eyeliner still trigger something in me, and I am back to the snotty arsehole I was at 15.

image tax:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Lotsa goths in this thread. Maybe it's because I always saw myself as a punk and a rebel, but I hated you goths. It always seemed so cliquey and performative to me.

(What's that? A bunch of teenagers forming cliques based around similar musical/fashion tastes? And a different teenager who was excluded from that clique getting pissy about it? Such a thing has never happened.)

The line I used to use to make me feel superior to you was to accuse you all of thinking"I am going to be different, so I will dress exactly like all those people over there with their black lipstick etc. That'll show the world how clever and unique I am.". I was a pretentious arsehole as a teenager.

I have matured ever so slightly over the last few decades, but black lipstick and heavy eyeliner still trigger something in me, and I am back to the snotty arsehole I was at 15.

image tax:

Well come on over to the gibbis goth thread and idk, hang out with us! It isn’t goths you hated, it’s just teenagers being jerks. We’re all mostly adults, some of us spectral beings, I myself some form of seaside hexcrafter.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3939732&perpage=40&noseen=1

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

teen witch posted:

Well come on over to the gibbis goth thread and idk, hang out with us! It isn’t goths you hated, it’s just teenagers being jerks. We’re all mostly adults, some of us spectral beings, I myself some form of seaside hexcrafter.

So you're the one responsible for all the tropical storms! :stonk:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

When he was playing in the NHL, his Yahoo Sports stats page had the ID number 666 for the URL. I got a kick out of that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

We called ourselves Deathrock before people started using "Goth". First time I heard the term goth I was like WTF am I a building? Do I have flying buttresses?

(This post is simultaneously hipster and :corsair:)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When he was playing in the NHL, his Yahoo Sports stats page had the ID number 666 for the URL. I got a kick out of that.

I'm not a Sabres fan but I was in Buffalo for a game after he got traded away and got an awesome Satan (pronounced Shuh Tan) jersey on the cheap. Wore it around town in Va Beach where I lived and got more than a few dirty looks and even a couple of under their breath comments as people would walk by. If you're not familiar, VA Beach is the hasp on the buckle of the Bible Belt.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Hate to break it to you, but it means what those people thought it did no matter how you pronounce it:

https://youtu.be/_4XawmQKMJQ

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Little late but I found the family tree for that photo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So is Satan.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So is Satan.

שָּׂטָן is/are basically just God's prosecutor angels anyway. Devil's advocates.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pretty good movie imo

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Where do you move when where you're moving from is yourself? :banjo:

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

xtal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZe5J8SVCYQ

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

xtal posted:

I’m the same as I was when I was six years old.

e: oh my god I feel so drat old

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

DicktheCat posted:

NIN fuckin rules
they're popular because Trent is fuckin awesome dont apologize for liking music that kicks rear end friend

Listen to the other great albums he did anyone who wants some loving great music especially if youre angry or sad
everyone knows Pretty Hate Machine and some people know The Downward Spiral because of Closer
but loving hell Broken and the Fragile are so loving good yall :rock:

wait funny pictures thread heres one

its funny because hes supposed to be all angry or something

hhhat has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Sep 9, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NIN is amazing. Always a fantastic show live. Trent changes up their sound for live shows so it's like hearing all your favorite songs for the first time again.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So good live last time I saw them. Trent got fucken swole, too. Fills a good void since Maynard came out as a boot licker and maybe did some rape.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
fuckin yeah go see them live
the light show is worth every god drat minute of that poo poo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hhhat posted:

NIN fuckin rules
they're popular because Trent is fuckin awesome dont apologize for liking music that kicks rear end friend

Listen to the other great albums he did anyone who wants some loving great music especially if youre angry or sad
everyone knows Pretty Hate Machine and some people know The Downward Spiral because of Closer
but loving hell Broken and the Fragile are so loving good yall :rock:

wait funny pictures thread heres one

its funny because hes supposed to be all angry or something

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Solice Kirsk posted:

NIN is amazing. Always a fantastic show live. Trent changes up their sound for live shows so it's like hearing all your favorite songs for the first time again.

I saw them in 2000 and it was the greatest concert I've ever been to. They had 3 enormous LED rectangles that moved all around over the stage and became screens but also strobed and poo poo...this was super high tech for the time and loving blew my mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funniest part of the 2001 sequel is that after Dave is turned into a space god, he revives HAL and they become friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funniest part of the 2001 sequel is that after Dave is turned into a space god, he revives HAL and they become friends.

I really enjoyed the whole series, the books and the movies. Still blows my mind that Clarke and Kubrick worked together while the book was being finished, so the movie really is as true to the author's vision as you can get without making it themselves.