Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I did find it kind of odd that the actual live saga that occupied the last 100 pages of the old thread and rocketed it into the goldmine basically hasn't been mentioned over the first few pages of the new thread. I mean, sure, the sagas thread should be about all the sagas, and starting with the old ones is definitely the way to go, but elephant giant koala in the room much?

The whole purpose of restarting the thread was to accomplish exactly this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not necessarily a saga, but funny, feel-good thread one of the historians here might recall.

Goon has a photo of his grandpa or great-grandpa in military uniform. It's b&w, scuffed and creased. They ask if someone with photoshop could clean it up and colorize it, so they could print it out as a gift.

Goons being goons, a number of them "fix" the photo in hilarious ways. OP is a good sport and finds it funny, and eventually someone does hook them up with a bangin' touch up job.

If anyone remembers that and can dig up a link, it was quite amusing (pics are probably lost to waffleimages, though; I remember looking at it at a job I left in 2012).

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
*sees fau consistently moderating in a responsible and professional way*

*shits on fau’s toes*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not necessarily a saga, but funny, feel-good thread one of the historians here might recall.

Goon has a photo of his grandpa or great-grandpa in military uniform. It's b&w, scuffed and creased. They ask if someone with photoshop could clean it up and colorize it, so they could print it out as a gift.

Goons being goons, a number of them "fix" the photo in hilarious ways. OP is a good sport and finds it funny, and eventually someone does hook them up with a bangin' touch up job.

If anyone remembers that and can dig up a link, it was quite amusing (pics are probably lost to waffleimages, though; I remember looking at it at a job I left in 2012).

That was an amazing thread. There were some really good one sin there too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh I agree that one was really well done

It even had a ski version too iirc lol. I love that ski.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm looking for the thread where it was either a A/T or someone who took over the thread for a bit about a goon claiming to be a chiropractor and spouting off about a tons of bullshit and claiming all this expertise, and so someone challenged him with a image of an x-ray and asks what was wrong, so the chiro goon goes off for multiple paragraphs about C3 vertebrae or something.

The image is then revealed to have been a dog x ray.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I did find it kind of odd that the actual live saga that occupied the last 100 pages of the old thread and rocketed it into the goldmine basically hasn't been mentioned over the first few pages of the new thread. I mean, sure, the sagas thread should be about all the sagas, and starting with the old ones is definitely the way to go, but elephant giant koala in the room much?

FYAD guy: I got it bad. I got it bad. I got it bad. I'm hot for Hitler
*three months later*
[black and white footage of Jeffery addressing the truth and reconciliation commission]

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

I'm looking for the thread where it was either a A/T or someone who took over the thread for a bit about a goon claiming to be a chiropractor and spouting off about a tons of bullshit and claiming all this expertise, and so someone challenged him with a image of an x-ray and asks what was wrong, so the chiro goon goes off for multiple paragraphs about C3 vertebrae or something.

The image is then revealed to have been a dog x ray.

Gassed A/T thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3251475&pagenumber=7&perpage=40

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Because it didn't rocket to the goldmine until Jeffery perma'd KM's alt, the same alt that had existed for 2 years solely to sing her praises and tell people how great she was, and suddenly the whole "there's a conspiracy of posters" person turned out to be the only actual conspiracy on the forums and everyone outside of cspam and not drinking the Honey Trap Queen kool aid found it to be the funniest thing that has happened all year.

The "bought a gaming laptop, but for social justice purposes" was just the cherry on top since the whole thing had been memory hole'd years ago after fyad mocked the poo poo out of it and the accusation itself was also used against fyad as "doxxing attacks"

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

sourdough posted:

Did the qcs thread that finally got bobbie wickham demodded already get posted? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897141&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

We discussed this in real time when it happened, but I think it's worth including in the OP. Not really as a funny saga but I guess a cautionary tale about harmful/toxic modding practices.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

promising carl posted:

We discussed this in real time when it happened, but I think it's worth including in the OP. Not really as a funny saga but I guess a cautionary tale about harmful/toxic modding practices.

Yeah, I don't remember any bobbie wickham related stuff being funny, but definitely should be a part of the SA mod lore

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
KM having the alt follow her around to Yas Queen! everything was funny, but using it to feed suggestions that she should be given more mod/admin powers does also validate Bird's posts that she was agitating to seize more power on her main in a time of crisis, too.

Anyway, the saga where the entire pet forum told a woman it was a bad idea to get a Maremma Sheepdog is still one of my favorites:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090725

If anyone's unaware, they're not a herding breed like their name might imply. They're livestock guardians, who imprint on something at a young age like a duckling, except they grow to be 100+ lbs and obsessively guard the thing they've imprinted on, up to and including attacking anything they see as a threat to the thing.

She went ahead and got the puppy anyway. PI posters found her posts on other pet forums confirming she had to tie the dog outside to stop it from hurting her young son, where it imprinted on a tree and ripped up all the bushes and grass around it to better guard the tree.

I also still love the Thermidor threads, which cspam can thank for our beloved :thermidor: smiley

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793353

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804254

The saga of an apparently oblivious PR rep deciding the best way to promote their niche period JRPG-alike game would be posting about the upcoming indiegogo, ignore any warnings about how it wouldn't work as a funding campaign and the game didn't look good, notify people when they were added to their ignore list, and keep on attempting to open and close the thread while the admins pretended to not know who was reopening it.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
By God they're still at it

https://hyperdevbox.com/?portfolio=thermidor1789

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Jesus Christ.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Well What Now posted:

Jesus Christ.

They also have a bit coin,

https://hdx20.hdx20.io/

:thunk:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And when HDX20 achieves infinite worth it will become our new God

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Really losing out by not calling it "Thermidosh"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thermidough

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

loving hell I now know thanks to that Bobbie Wickham bit that there are people that like to watch videos of animals being stepped on with high heels.

I’m pretty “internet scarred” but gently caress me blind, that’s a bit much.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what if i told you there was a thread in this very subforum dedicated to sharing these videos?

i mean, there isn't, it's a lie. i'm just curious as to whether you clicked the link

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what if i told you there was a thread in this very subforum dedicated to sharing these videos?

i mean, there isn't, it's a lie. i'm just curious as to whether you clicked the link

I feel like, at this point in SA history, it's always plausible to claim any niche fetish/pseudo-fetish has a thread in some sub-sub-subforum where four goons hoot and holler about their masturbation habits and share choice finds with each other. "The Mega Bloks thread in DIY is now exclusively for jacking it to cartoon squirrel scat videos?" Sure, I believe it!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm fine with that, those lovely knockoffs deserve it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like, at this point in SA history, it's always plausible to claim any niche fetish/pseudo-fetish has a thread in some sub-sub-subforum where four goons hoot and holler about their masturbation habits and share choice finds with each other. "The Mega Bloks thread in DIY is now exclusively for jacking it to cartoon squirrel scat videos?" Sure, I believe it!

It's called FYAD.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Inceltown posted:

It's called FYAD.

Less of this, please. We're all trying to discourage cross-subforums rivalry.

Except with those degenerates in Coupons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Less of this, please. We're all trying to discourage cross-subforums rivalry.

Except with those degenerates in Coupons.

We call them discounters around these parts.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We have always been at war with Coupons

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

quidditch it and quit it posted:

loving hell I now know thanks to that Bobbie Wickham bit that there are people that like to watch videos of animals being stepped on with high heels.

I’m pretty “internet scarred” but gently caress me blind, that’s a bit much.

That's been a thing people have known about since like the 90s, you're adorable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Did not expect to see someone being big-dogged over their lack of knowledge about creepy sexual fetishes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sleeveless posted:

That's been a thing people have known about since like the 90s, you're adorable.

I didn't know that either and my life was better for it

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Did not expect to see someone being big-dogged over their lack of knowledge about creepy sexual fetishes

no the correct response to a guy expressing disgust at one of the most depraved fetishes in the world is “lurk more”

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I was posting about Buddhism in the religion thread and it reminded me of the time in the old Buddhism thread that perma-banned poster "The worst thing is" claimed to be completely enlightened and was aggressively accusing everyone else of not actually being buddhist (archives required)

Ruddha came in and posted a legendary series of posts.

Eventually "the worst thing is" posting makes Ruddha actually break character and tell him that his posting style makes him think that there's deeper issues at play and express a genuine concern for his emotional well-being.

Eventually The Worst Thing Is made Ruddha actually break character and tell him off

The saga starts on page 19 with Ruddha coming in at page 21 and the whole thing really fizzling out on page 26

Ruddha posted:

At one time there was a master and his disciple walking in the mountains. They passed two boys with a stand, selling live frogs for people to take home and eat. The young disciple told the old master to take a rest, saying he'd be right back. He bought all the frogs from the boys, who happily returned home. He threw the frogs one by one back into the river, who very happily swam and jumped. He returned to his master, who asked him, "You look happy, what happened?" the young monk replied "Oh, no problem! I saved the frogs!" The master said mournfully, "Oh, YOU saved them? Too bad! Now YOU go to hell!"

I remember that. I loved that guy. May the Compassionate One be with you, Ruddha, wherever you are, you were a gem.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Antivehicular posted:

Just wait till you see what our interior design thread is really for!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Appealing to :females:?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Double post

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

What about the phenazepam thread?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Len posted:

I didn't know that either and my life was better for it

just to note that this is concrete evidence that reading the something awful forums makes your life worse

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The saga of the XCOM thread wars:

Coolguye posted:

VideoGames has been as useless as an rear end in a top hat on my elbow the fistful of times i've PMed them, the one time they did something helpful was when i asked for the XCOM thread to be renamed. beyond that, i was trying to quench a literal years-long, multi-forum tire fire that spread out of a loving mod of XCOM 1 and PMed them, asking for their support on a plan that ultimately succeeded in getting rid of it. they didn't read a word, didn't care to ask me a single question to understand the situation, and went to post a stupid tirade in the thread, suggesting tons of non-solutions that had already failed to resolve the problem (and that i had detailed in the PM i sent them explaining my plan), then peaced to let me deal with the fallout.

another time there were people being complete psychos about complaints about the epic games store that i had raised in the free games thread, accusing me of spreading red china terror and other ridiculous horseshit. the posts attacking me got reported and videogames popped in, called a halt to talking about EGS and implied the whole situation was my fault to the point that a couple posters had to ask if it was OK for them to thank me for my even explanation of the concerns about EGS. videogames flippantly said "yeah, that's fine, but you already did, so it's done"

i PM'ed them saying that the entire situation was some serious bullshit and they responded with some really loving weird paragraph about how they wouldn't ever make a moderation decision based on history with a poster, which was completely out of left field and had nothing to do with my complaint. i can't imagine videogames actually has a grudge against me because i've interacted with them like once per year so the entire thing struck me as just more slipshod assumptive nonsense.

there's one or two other situations but you get the point.

then the couple of times i tried to talk to burt was just obviously lol because that dumbass was so terminally online that just opening your mouth was an assault if he was in the right mood at the time.

then god help you if you needed support in the let's play subforum back when slowbeef and zorak were in charge. at one point zorak literally just replied 'lol' when i asked him to come handle a dude who was making GBS threads up a thread and i had to get others to run the fuckface out.

in short no OP i have literally never had a good interaction with a mod for anything beyond the most basic crap

Coolguye posted:

yeah i pointed out their privacy policy was bullshit and that actually had impacts, people took one tiny part of what i was saying and made it the entire issue - same nonsense every weirdo on this site does when trying to count coup. i said a hundred times it was fine to get stuff from EGS and i wasn't judging anyone for it, not that that was ever acknowledged by the folks being aggro for no reason.

i mean, no they did not, like almost objectively. people were slinging mud at me for months and i was doing everything i could to de-escalate and provide common ground. then VG came in and was like "yeah those people using standard posting enemy trolling tactics and making GBS threads up the thread have a good point." i was happy to just consider it another dumb slapfight, but if a mod wants to come in and start assigning blame like that the least they can do is read the drat thread.

anyways, neither here nor there to the story you wanted to hear: so XCOM 1 had this one mod named the Long War. it was very ambitious mod that changed tons of stuff. this was really impressive technically because XCOM 1 did not have a modding toolset, so the team doing it was doing it pretty much from scratch.

the mod itself was really divisive, though. it added a ton of kludge to a pretty clean game and made it pretty frustrating to play and use. but it also fleshed out a ton of design thoughts that were in the OG XCOM that were not present in the Firaxis remake - and, even as a big fan of the franchise, i'll be the first to tell you that the OG is definitely kludgy and frustrating, so arguably that's on brand. there was also the problem that the mod was frequently literally unplayable for up to a week at a time because the project leader would just take updates from his team and publish them without even attempting to open the game first. so he'd publish a broken build and then just peace for days on end.

this would've been fine if people could've been civil to one another about a loving mod on a video game, but nah. even as someone who thought long war wasn't worth the trouble at all, i'll be the first to tell you that a lot of anti-long war people got way too aggro over it. there were a fair number of 'the project leader is a terrible human being because video game mods' style posts that were completely out of line. there were also a lot of pro-long war people who got super aggro over people posting criticisms and would launch into days-long snipefests over people being whiny entitled babies about wanting the mod to launch when a new version was released, or for bugs not to be re-introduced constantly, or something relatively innocuous like that. one of the pro-long war people had a blue star from something like pet island i think, i don't remember, so when i reported a bunch of posts that were not ok, the games moderator at the time (FAU) stayed the gently caress out of it and ignored the whole thing. so there was no help coming in calming down a stupid flame war over a fuckin mod.

i tried ignoring it and refocusing on strats for the base game. then i tried playing peacemaker. then about 6-ish weeks or something into that effort, a few long war zealots found their way into a let's play thread that was doing XCOM 1 and made such nuisances of themselves by getting aggro on folks for not liking long war that they had to be probated/threadbanned out of there. then they came back to the XCOM thread to complain about how unfair that was and how great their mod was.

at that point the entire rolling flame war had gone on for about 5-ish months and i was tired of it. we'd tried to tell people to go make their own thread about long war but nobody would do it because ultimately it would definitely mean the death of both threads due to lack of traffic. so i just started being a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone who was a zealot about the mod one way or the other, which at this point was mostly the pro-LW nerds. i was suuuuuper aggro to both sides and eventually everyone stopped talking about it. i absolutely poo poo the hell out of my own thread but it finally calmed people the gently caress down and the worst zealots peaced. we were all able to talk about the game and appreciate the game for a while. they'd eventually pop back up and skirmishes over long war continued, but at least you could talk about the game without someone accosting you for not playing long war - and, sometimes, long war with their specific config hacks.

then XCOM 2 came out. because LW had kept the torch lit on XCOM 1 for such a long time, firaxis paid the team to make a long war 2 in order to light the fire of excitement about the mod set that was released with XCOM 2. i put right in the first post that i wasn't interested in anyone being a zealot for their favorite mod, or against their least favorite, because there had been another long war skirmish about a month prior to XCOM 2's release and i was not interested in having that lovely tradition come over.

well, it did. the same 'new thread' and 'basic respect' suggestions and stuff came back up but nobody wanted to go do it for the same reasons as before. it's goddamn XCOM, it's not actually that big of a game or that big of a deal. and respect had clearly failed already because people were taking opinions about their favorite mods personally.

so finally, i came up with an incredibly moronic system that encouraged normal threadgoers to yell at people arguing about stupid bullshit to 'settle it the usual way' - the usual way was a game of chess. whoever won the game of chess would be right on the internet for 3 days and everyone could move on. my hope was that i could get mod support to sixer someone if they refused to play their chess game and kept arguing inconsolably. i DM'd videogames to explain the situation and invite input. waited a week, got no response. so i figured, like before, no help was coming, and amended it to encouraging the thread to ruthlessly clown on chronic arguers as 'idiot coward ratfuckers', regardless of their views.

it worked. the worst complainers whined to me but after i was called out for arguing about my reasoning and immediately shut up/linked lichess to be accountable to my own rules, they all peaced. then videogames came in a week after the posting and made this weird as gently caress post that made it clear they hadn't read a single word in the thread or that i'd sent them. literally everyone in the thread ignored it because it was nonsensical.

people had to be told to settle it the usual way about once a month over the next 6, but that was all the further it got. no more days-long rolling flamewars over how unreasonable you were for not liking a free mod or some nonsense. just a few slapfights that people broke up quickly.

i got rid of those dumb chess rules when the expansion came out and the long war team refused to update their mod because firaxis wouldn't pay them to do it. felt obsolete at that point. XCOM has been zealot-free for a long time now and it feels great. no thanks to any mod over the course of the last 2 threads and however many goddamned years it was at that point.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I can barely follow any of that, but is the OP really offended that a mod refused to enforce his rule that people play online chess to settle arguments?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Antivehicular posted:

I can barely follow any of that, but is the OP really offended that a mod refused to enforce his rule that people play online chess to settle arguments?

That's been everyone else's takeaway, so who are we to gainsay it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I like how he capitalises XCOM and DM but not the first letters of sentences. Definitely makes the wall of text enjoyable and easy to read.