Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can only use women's claims if the ruler is a kid or another woman. it says so in the religion screen where your inheritance laws are, its a bit hidden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Had I been in charge, I would have marched the Stellaris launch QA team out to a forest in the dead of winter, made them dig a long trench, then forced them to beg for their lives at gunpoint. By comparison, merely closing their department is generous

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Davincie posted:

you can only use women's claims if the ruler is a kid or another woman. it says so in the religion screen where your inheritance laws are, its a bit hidden

That makes sense. It still seems a bit weird that the game seemingly gives you the chance to declare war instead of just greying it out to start with but who knows. Guess I'll need to try and find if any of those individual counties are eligible.

Uniting Ireland was straightforward enough even without the tutorial bonuses but trying to get a foothold on the other side of the Irish sea is proving pretty tricky - my sister held a decent duchy in Scotland but instead of just staying quiet and letting me marry it back into the family she started an idiotic Liberty War against the king of Scotland and had to give up her claims to get released. Murchad's son's reign is proving to be a bit of a lame duck compared to his father, but my son is married to the princess of France so I'll at least have some more muscle to throw around.

(game owns)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can the AI pagans reform?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Broken Cog posted:

Yes, I've seen it happen thrice in my Byzantium playthrough. (Tengri and two African religions)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vichan posted:

Yes, I've seen it happen thrice in my Byzantium playthrough. (Tengri and two African religions)

Alright, neat! Do you know if they just keep the tenets they have for the unreformed faith, or do they actually change things up a bit?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

Alright, neat! Do you know if they just keep the tenets they have for the unreformed faith, or do they actually change things up a bit?
AI keeps tenets and doctrines of original unreformed religions. AI also only creates historical heresies.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dwesa posted:

AI keeps tenets and doctrines of original unreformed religions. AI also only creates historical heresies.

tbh the more I look at it the more it feels like they've left quite a bit of terrain open in the Faiths system, I wouldn't be surprised if we had DLC centered on it in the mold of Sons of Abraham from CKII

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/8/21427511/crusader-kings-random-event-tinder-dating-app

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well I can say with certainty that I did not expect to see as many tits as I have seen until now in a game about medieval dynasties and politics.

I managed to form the Empire of Hispania but it is a huuuuge mess of megadukes, I should spend the next 50 years rearranging it all and it feels more like a chore than a fun thing so I guess it's time to restart :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Had I been in charge, I would have marched the Stellaris launch QA team out to a forest in the dead of winter, made them dig a long trench, then forced them to beg for their lives at gunpoint. By comparison, merely closing their department is generous

huuuuuuuh.... that's not funny.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

You know you can stop RPing your incestuous murder tyrant when you turn the game off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I too post elaborate murder fantasies about underpaid overworked persons.

Wait no the opposite of that.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
There are some great QoL mods out already, my favorites are:

Extended Outliner
Basically makes the outliner much more like the CK2 one - you can see opinion and relationship on pinned characters, troop counts and siege status on your armies, and your holdings now list their levies, tax income, and have warning icons for low control and building available.

Moveable Suggestions
Does what it says in the title, if you're sick of right clicking those banners to see the suggestions window you can now put it wherever you want.

Nameplates
This one is really good - every time a big event pops up with character models it puts their name and relationship to you under their character model, as well as their current opinion of you. Great for a quick "wait who is this again?" without having to get deep in their profiles.

Find in Dynasty Tree
Just a little button to jump to a character in your tree from their page, kind of useless once you get 200+ dynasty members and the tree starts to chug.

There's lots of other stuff that changes gameplay, but these are nice if you want the "pure" experience but with a better UI.

e: Forgot to mention Brighter Progress Bars in general all the "brightening" mods are great

Mad Wack fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 9, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

imagine not only thinking this, but then posting it

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Does dwarf count as a bad Congenital trait? I'm playing as the dwarven kingdom as Jerusalem and I wanna keep my family dwarven so I'm not sure if I should go for resilient bloodline legacy.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Fader Movitz posted:

Does dwarf count as a bad Congenital trait? I'm playing as the dwarven kingdom as Jerusalem and I wanna keep my family dwarven so I'm not sure if I should go for resilient bloodline legacy.

ya both dwarf, albino, and giant are bad - but you can pick them as focus genetic traits further down the legacy tree

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Find it funny how Albino is apparently a "Bad" trait considering how insanely powerful dread is.
Same with Giant, the downsides of it are far easier to handle in this compared to CK2, especially since it doesn't seem to come with the negative events and modifiers.

Edit: Also, I really wish it showed what the AI picked for the focus trait if they're in charge when it's unlocked. That's what happened to my tree last game, and I almost have a suspicion they picked Bleeder.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 9, 2020

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Mad Wack posted:

ya both dwarf, albino, and giant are bad - but you can pick them as focus genetic traits further down the legacy tree

Thanks, good to know I can continue with my medieval eugenics project and create a dwarf kingdom.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

can a character both be a dwarf and a giant, or are they mutually exclusive traits
like, they obviously should be, but are they?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

can a character both be a dwarf and a giant, or are they mutually exclusive traits
like, they obviously should be, but are they?

If it is like CK2, I think you can add both with console, but the game won't add both.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mad Wack posted:

Extended Outliner
Basically makes the outliner much more like the CK2 one - you can see opinion and relationship on pinned characters, troop counts and siege status on your armies, and your holdings now list their levies, tax income, and have warning icons for low control and building available.

Moveable Suggestions
Does what it says in the title, if you're sick of right clicking those banners to see the suggestions window you can now put it wherever you want.

Nameplates
This one is really good - every time a big event pops up with character models it puts their name and relationship to you under their character model, as well as their current opinion of you. Great for a quick "wait who is this again?" without having to get deep in their profiles.

Find in Dynasty Tree
Just a little button to jump to a character in your tree from their page, kind of useless once you get 200+ dynasty members and the tree starts to chug.

There's lots of other stuff that changes gameplay, but these are nice if you want the "pure" experience but with a better UI.

e: Forgot to mention Brighter Progress Bars in general all the "brightening" mods are great

Quoting this so I can find it later.

I gave up on my tutorial game and am down in Somalia. My first ruler went from chief to high king (empire) in about 30 years, and his son consolidated the rule. Both of them lived into their 60s and had a dozen children each. The son ended up reforming the Waaqi faith in the year leading up to his death and instituting three key tenants: gender equality, polygamy, and Islamic syncretism (so that we can actually ally with our massive caliphate neighbours).

I didn’t realize the gender equality would immediately change my inheritance rules, I assumed that was controlled separately. So I was not prepared for my giantess daughter to take the throne like 2 months later. Like her father, her rule started with an independence war initiated by an older family member, but she handled that pretty well.

I think my plan is to move west into Africa through Darfur rather than test my luck up north, at least until the caliphate that controls the massive Abyssinian empire collapses.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did someone post a list of all the special buildings here earlier? I noticed there was a spot for a special building in Xingqing, but it just said I didn't have any special buildings to build there, so I got curious.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

Extended Outliner

Moveable Suggestions

Nameplates

Find in Dynasty Tree

I do t understand how something like the extended outliner mod can prevent achievements. It’s so arbitrary.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My Kordfan game crumbled early, and I decided to reset. I think I can do it with the Coptic King actually: just have his heir be raised Kushite and then start converting everyone during his reign.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Broken Cog posted:

Reforming is really hard now so I've only at least seen the far eastern pagans reform

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Honestly Kushite (gonna use that because the faith name I keep messing up) is probably the easiest to reform: 6 Holy Sites, and three of them are super close to each other at the start.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

yikes! posted:

I do t understand how something like the extended outliner mod can prevent achievements. It’s so arbitrary.

Yeah it sucks, also ironman gets slow as hell because of the constant autosaving so I am giving it a pass until the game gets some of those promised UI patches

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

For the UI I'd really like that when I click on "a faction has been formed!" it'd actually take me to the factions screen.
Just stuff like that, mostly little but surely not too hard to fix?

Also make it so when I declare war it doesn't include allies in the troop totals, it just says "here's you, here's them." and then "Here's them, with allies, you with allies".

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The easiest to reform is Donyi-Poloism.
Two of the Holy Sites is in the starting duchy of the Dayzul tribe, and a third is in a neighboring county. You're the only tribal in the area so your armies will be bigger than any competition.

A fourth Holy Site is in the same kingdom and the fifth in a neighboring county again.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Gato posted:

That makes sense. It still seems a bit weird that the game seemingly gives you the chance to declare war instead of just greying it out to start with but who knows.

See also: the suggestions popup routinely suggesting you can do things you actually can't, like usurp titles of people at war.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just turn off suggestions in the settings imo, they're usually useless.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

This game fell apart super fast.

On my start as the 17 year old Fairhair guy in Norway, I managed to form Scandinavia by my 76th year. I got the warning that I was going to die in a year, so I was just getting ready for moving on.

About 3 months before I was to die, one of my many, many grandsons challenged me to a duel for the empire, and stole it.

Why did they hate me? Well, I had reformed the Asatru religion a few years previously, and here's something I didn't know: if you remove the warmonger tenet, it gives you the offensive war penalty based on how long you've been at war already, not starting from scratch.

I'd been warring continually for 60 years so instantly all my vassals got a -157 Offensive War Penalty. Even being the head of my own faith, top rank piety and renown, none of it helped. Everyone loving hated me.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Just turn off suggestions in the settings imo, they're usually useless.

Hard disagree, this is where a lot of the timed decisions pop up when you checkmark "remind me when this is available". It also reminds you when you can demand payments for hooks (only showing if they at least have some money to pay for it), and generally has a lot of useful information.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wooper posted:

The easiest to reform is Donyi-Poloism.
Two of the Holy Sites is in the starting duchy of the Dayzul tribe, and a third is in a neighboring county. You're the only tribal in the area so your armies will be bigger than any competition.

A fourth Holy Site is in the same kingdom and the fifth in a neighboring county again.

With the Lithuanian faith (that was called Romuva but now I can never remember the name) it's quite easy to reform in theory because all the holy sites are nice and close to you but getting to the right level of faith without collapsing is really drat hard considering who you neighbour.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

the wiki doesn't list the various Holy Site bonuses yet, dagnabit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Magil Zeal posted:

Hard disagree, this is where a lot of the timed decisions pop up when you checkmark "remind me when this is available". It also reminds you when you can demand payments for hooks (only showing if they at least have some money to pay for it), and generally has a lot of useful information.

Are you thinking of the issues tab? Suggestions are the "You should declare war on x", "You should raid" etc. They are just a part of that tab.

Edit: A courtier came back from the Varangian guard, and brought a genius, 20 intrigue wife with him. Nice.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 9, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Are you thinking of the issues tab? Suggestions are the "You should declare war on x", "You should raid" etc. They are just a part of that tab.

Ah, I thought you were referring to the whole thing. Hyper Crab Tank's comment was about usurping titles, which does appear in the lower "issues" list. They do somethings appear when they aren't available (imo I should be able to usurp the primary title of someone at war if they have another title at the same rank and have no de jure land in the title, but CK3 doesn't have that nuance yet). I do agree they probably shouldn't appear when they aren't things you can do.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Taear posted:

With the Lithuanian faith (that was called Romuva but now I can never remember the name) it's quite easy to reform in theory because all the holy sites are nice and close to you but getting to the right level of faith without collapsing is really drat hard considering who you neighbour.

Learning lifestyle wins again. :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the blue Suggestions I consistently ignore

the red Issues I feel should have their own tooltip(s)

the green issues I have no complaint about they are in fact a super helpful summary