Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mad Wack posted:

There are some great QoL mods out already, my favorites are:

Extended Outliner
Basically makes the outliner much more like the CK2 one - you can see opinion and relationship on pinned characters, troop counts and siege status on your armies, and your holdings now list their levies, tax income, and have warning icons for low control and building available.

Moveable Suggestions
Does what it says in the title, if you're sick of right clicking those banners to see the suggestions window you can now put it wherever you want.

Nameplates
This one is really good - every time a big event pops up with character models it puts their name and relationship to you under their character model, as well as their current opinion of you. Great for a quick "wait who is this again?" without having to get deep in their profiles.

Find in Dynasty Tree
Just a little button to jump to a character in your tree from their page, kind of useless once you get 200+ dynasty members and the tree starts to chug.

There's lots of other stuff that changes gameplay, but these are nice if you want the "pure" experience but with a better UI.

e: Forgot to mention Brighter Progress Bars in general all the "brightening" mods are great

CK2 Style Colorful Education Traits is also very good, I don't know why the gently caress they changed it from CK2(left is original CK3, right is new)

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Piell posted:

CK2 Style Colorful Education Traits is also very good, I don't know why the gently caress they changed it from CK2(left is original, right is new)

note : this one is actually achievement/ironman compatible!

you can modifiy the colors of various ui elements without changing the checksum but that's about it really. pdx will need to loosen those restrictions before any real QoL modding can be made compatible

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

yikes! posted:

I do t understand how something like the extended outliner mod can prevent achievements. It’s so arbitrary.

UI and text modding is a lot more capable and flexible than it used to be (and even in the last game localisation mods were able to expose a lot of hidden information) so assuming one accepts the need to gate achievements at all then I don't think it's arbitrary to gate them behind "no non-cosmetic mods".

I can imagine some more involved way than "checksum on the relevant folders and block if any changes" to determine if a mod impacts the game mechanics without being so hardass about it but at that point it gets into :effort: for a dev so I guess we all get used to blank achievement pages (or popping them with SAM/enabling modded achievements with Cheat Engine)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Piell posted:

CK2 Style Colorful Education Traits is also very good, I don't know why the gently caress they changed it from CK2(left is original, right is new)

Can you actually get the prowess trait?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can you actually get the prowess trait?

It seems to sometimes be awarded when you get a martial education, in addition to the martial education trait. It is a bit random, but it only provides 1-4 prowess so it's not a big loss if you don't get it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Can somebody hazard a guess as to why all my powerful vassal troops are hostile to me on the map? We aren't at war - in fact, we are allies in a Crusade. I have to be super careful not to run any of my troops near theirs. They like me well enough. I guess it's just a bug or something? All the other Crusader nations are allied :(

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jeza posted:

Can somebody hazard a guess as to why all my powerful vassal troops are hostile to me on the map? We aren't at war - in fact, we are allies in a Crusade. I have to be super careful not to run any of my troops near theirs. They like me well enough. I guess it's just a bug or something? All the other Crusader nations are allied :(

That does just sound like a bug to me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Excelzior posted:

note : this one is actually achievement/ironman compatible!

you can modifiy the colors of various ui elements without changing the checksum but that's about it really. pdx will need to loosen those restrictions before any real QoL modding can be made compatible

Yeah, all of the brightening mods are compatible. I use that colorful education traits along with one that just brightens the background on the stats

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222839530

And one that makes all the sundry progress bars way easier to read

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222364460

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So something I've noticed playing several games with gender laws set to inverted. The AI sucks at making matrilineal marriages. I'm not just seeing heirs unlanded, but if I gift someone land and don't arrange their marriage myself, it's like 70/30 they will be in a regular marriage kissing their dynasty goodbye. This is extremely annoying given that I am trying to set up kingdoms for my dynasty to farm renown. Given that the only other game rule I'm playing with is bisexuality being the norm, this doesn't seem intended and it really hurts any kind of long term dynasty play, so I hope this can get fixed so that it works like it does for male rulers.

Also a comment on religion and withcraft, if you accept witches is there any way to easily find one/be to start your own coven going? Also it would be nice if it was accept it wouldn't be under an evil god's auspices, though I already find the idea of 'evil' god for non Abrahamic religions kind of strange.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

So something I've noticed playing several games with gender laws set to inverted. The AI sucks at making matrilineal marriages. I'm not just seeing heirs unlanded, but if I gift someone land and don't arrange their marriage myself, it's like 70/30 they will be in a regular marriage kissing their dynasty goodbye. This is extremely annoying given that I am trying to set up kingdoms for my dynasty to farm renown. Given that the only other game rule I'm playing with is bisexuality being the norm, this doesn't seem intended and it really hurts any kind of long term dynasty play, so I hope this can get fixed so that it works like it does for male rulers.

Hard agree, I'm playing a female-preference realm now (female dominated faith) and women in my realm almost never get married matrilineally and it makes inheritance a real mess.

It's complicated enough trying to figure out who to convert to witchcraft so my house can become a coven, and this is adding an extra layer of complexity onto it. My dynasty is big so I gotta think long-term.

Edit: And just to make certain, something like 90-95% of my realm does follow my female-dominated faith, doesn't matter, they don't seem to factor that into marriage decisions. Oddly enough this means the incestuous relationships are the ones with the most stable succession.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 9, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I abandoned my inverted gender role game, it was just miserable. The game also doesn't seem to compensate by generating more women either, there were stretches I didn't even have a full council because there were only two drat women in my whole court.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eimi posted:

Also it would be nice if it was accept it wouldn't be under an evil god's auspices, though I already find the idea of 'evil' god for non Abrahamic religions kind of strange.

Why? Some of them have very similar Satan analogues. Many other revere gods of death, disease, and other misfortune that are clearly evil as well.

Some might be in grey areas, like Loki or Hel, but others like Angra Mainyu was created from evil and is adversarial to the religion. Chernobog was likely considered evil as well, or at the very least an evil aspect of some dualism.

Abrahamic religions don't exactly have the monopoly on evil.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The fact that I can't save preset game rules is really annoying, especially since it was in CK2 and because they reset every time you quit.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

Also a comment on religion and withcraft, if you accept witches is there any way to easily find one/be to start your own coven going? Also it would be nice if it was accept it wouldn't be under an evil god's auspices, though I already find the idea of 'evil' god for non Abrahamic religions kind of strange.

I think it's more likely in a learning lifestyle. Also, if you have a court physician that has a herbalist trait, you might get an event where you can suspect them of witchcraft, and if it fires such that they are a witch you can convert. That might be the easiest way.

Edit: Might also apply for mystic traits (all three ranks)? I'd experiment with that.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 9, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Whorelord posted:

The fact that I can't save preset game rules is really annoying, especially since it was in CK2 and because they reset every time you quit.

I'm really hoping they let you default those in the first patch.

I'd also really like it if you could set game rules in the launcher so each playset/modset could have game rules attached

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

toasterwarrior posted:

Found a secret about my brother: he's an incestous pervert! Except that he's a negotiated ally and therefore I can't use this hook/secret against him. What am I to do?

EDIT: Also he's a sodomite, oof

EDIT2: He's loving his son

Can this be the thread title?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Another thing that bothers me is that my religion has the polyamory tenet but I'm still getting pop-ups about people exposing each other's lover secrets. The entire reason I chose that tenet was so I wouldn't get those pop-ups, get it together Paradox (and yes, I check to make sure all the parties involved follow my faith, and they do).

Despite all the little annoyances I'm still enjoying the game immensely. I may shelve my central African Daurama game though until the issues with female dominated faiths are ironed out. There's some things I want to try my hand at modding, and there's enough mods out now such that I should be able to look at some code and figure out how it works, I think.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
What does "Herbalism (Lifestyle Trait)" do? Other than the obvious bonuses listed. Does it make someone a better physician or otherwise add anything?

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

A God drat Ghost posted:

What does "Herbalism (Lifestyle Trait)" do? Other than the obvious bonuses listed. Does it make someone a better physician or otherwise add anything?

I know that it can help in romance schemes at least.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
There a lot of little annoyances and nitpicks I have about the game, plus the intermittent bugs, but the fact that the game is so engrossing that I struggle to stop playing it on release makes me hopeful for what's to come if this game gets the kind of support CK2 got.

The main thing I'm missing from late-stage CK2 is less Christian church-style music when playing the norse pagans. I miss the more vikingy metal music that came with the Old Gods expansion and such.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

The game seems to suggest it makes them a better(edit: derp) physician, as it often mentions the trait on my court list while noting they would make a good physician. It probably pops up in some events.

Sometimes traits can pop up in events in unexpected ways. For example, there's an event where you can get ill on pilgrimage. If you have the Whole of Body trait, you can essentially say "I'm not sick" and just not get ill instead.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 9, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Magil Zeal posted:

a bitter physician

oh, so that's why they make me smell poop and cut my balls off to cure a headache.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Magil Zeal posted:

The game seems to suggest it makes them a better(edit: derp) physician, as it often mentions the trait on my court list while noting they would make a good physician. It probably pops up in some events.

Sometimes traits can pop up in events in unexpected ways. For example, there's an event where you can get ill on pilgrimage. If you have the Whole of Body trait, you can essentially say "I'm not sick" and just not get ill instead.

Oh, cool. My son's wife has the trait, she is also intelligent. Hopefully she can become a better physician then. My current one made me drink pig urine.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Why? Some of them have very similar Satan analogues. Many other revere gods of death, disease, and other misfortune that are clearly evil as well.

Some might be in grey areas, like Loki or Hel, but others like Angra Mainyu was created from evil and is adversarial to the religion. Chernobog was likely considered evil as well, or at the very least an evil aspect of some dualism.

Abrahamic religions don't exactly have the monopoly on evil.

You are right with the examples you posted, though I would say just because their domain is death they aren't evil. Hades for example is clearly not an evil deity. I guess I just wish it was more granular. Which granted I hope will get added over time.

AG3 posted:

There a lot of little annoyances and nitpicks I have about the game, plus the intermittent bugs, but the fact that the game is so engrossing that I struggle to stop playing it on release makes me hopeful for what's to come if this game gets the kind of support CK2 got.

The main thing I'm missing from late-stage CK2 is less Christian church-style music when playing the norse pagans. I miss the more vikingy metal music that came with the Old Gods expansion and such.

I am sad the mod that adds back in the CK2 soundtrack also has the metal ones which I didn't enjoy but Andreas Waldetoft's score for CK2 is just amazing. Also apparently music modding right now is limited to just ambient music with no control over what plays, so a mod can't add in music that only plays if you're norse or in Scandinavia or what have you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how am i suppose to know its December without the Christmas music...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nice to see that you can still surpass the offspring limit by just repeatedly seducing. Don't even have to have seduction focus in this, so it's more convenient than ever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Do the Seljuks ever actually show up if you start at 867 or is Genghis the only scripted nomad invasion atm?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I played for a few hours last night, starting with a three count vassal in Bulgaria in 867 (Budjak). Besides my character dying of cancer almost immediately, I messed up by having three sons (from the starting character's brother) split up the three counties despite getting the duchy title. loving whatever gavelkind is called now. I suppose you have to expand and snowball ASAP and marry politically rather than just for traits?

I also had problems with getting raided constantly by neighbouring kings, which my liege king did absolutely gently caress all to prevent. Getting looted and having your dynasty members taken hostage is crap. I'm not sure how you're supposed to make enough money to build up enough levies and garrisons to stop it while also finagling succession and upgrading to feudalism.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do the Seljuks ever actually show up if you start at 867 or is Genghis the only scripted nomad invasion atm?

I've played from 867 to 1100 now, there has been no sign of Seljuks, or really any movement of borders in Persia and Central Asia. The Roman-Islamic frontier has been 100% static for the entire game from what I can tell.

That said I did just see Mongolia conquer it's way across the steppe, but it's not Temujin it's just some guy. Too early for Genghis so I assume just a fun coincidence.

Dwesa posted:

I wanted to make me 6th or 7th child my primary heir. I set all my previous children as knights/champions and sent them into a battle. Most of them died in one battle or were imprisoned and quickly died in prison. That instantly gave me a lot of stress. Firstborn remained, I was really old and really loved by my vassals, so I just imprisoned and executed her (I had some reason for imprisonment, but I was also forgiving... oops, level 3 stress). Then I realized that my current heir is my grand-grandson and firstborn's grandson and of different dynasty. I killed that child, then her parent or maybe her cousin, who knows and then I gave up. I just wish I understood succession more before I did all of this, lol.

Gaining an Elective title is super good for this. My duchies and counties are all under normal rules, but my Kingdom is Scandinavian Elective, and I have more than 50% of the votes, so you just pick your favorite child and they instantly become your primary and player heir.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 9, 2020

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I would like to see something to curtail the norse's wild expansion into Iberia. Seems to happen every game because of how rich the land is and how ripe it is once the Muslim's there start to fragment.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

They have no alliances, no event-spawned troops, no members of their house outside their own country and 200 mercenaries so where does this discrepancy come from, does the enemy military strength display just not count vassal armies at all?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

PittTheElder posted:

Gaining an Elective title is super good for this. My duchies and counties are all under normal rules, but my Kingdom is Scandinavian Elective, and I have more than 50% of the votes, so you just pick your favorite child and they instantly become your primary and player heir.

Here's a funny (probably a bug) issue I've had with this: Once I took elective off or got a higher title with non-elective titles, there's absolutely no changing it.

My thought process was as such: Partition says "heir gets all de jure titles associated with it" which must mean that they personally inherit all the counties/baronies involved with the main duchy they get, right? So once I get there, I can take elective off my title, which I did--then I realized how it actually works, which is "the same as Confederate Partition but the realm doesn't split."

This is where the bug comes in - the "adopt special succession law" decision does nothing once you've done it once, even if it says "kingdom of such and such will gain elective." It just doesn't change over. Furthermore, the option to adopt the law 'normally' under the page for the title has vanished.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 9, 2020

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is it really worth starting in 867? It feels like the 200 years arent nearly enough to catch up with culture to get even close to a feudal level.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Depends on what you like. 867 is a lot more chaotic and a bit of a free for all, 1066 has a lot more intricate drama and intrigue.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Is it really worth starting in 867? It feels like the 200 years arent nearly enough to catch up with culture to get even close to a feudal level.

In my Daura game I just barely managed to convert to feudal around ~1050, starting in "lol what's development" central Africa. It's definitely doable, though it helps if you have a ~45 Learning scholar ruler at some point.

I do wonder what's the point of the Gavelkind innovation though. All it does is unlock Confederate Partition, which is available to everyone at the start anyway, but you can start without the innovation. It just feels bad to have to research it.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 9, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The effects of renown + the diplomacy trees seems a little OP. I just finished forming the empire of hispania by force vassalizing one of my Muslim neighbors and he was still +63 afterwards despite the -30 religion is evil and -20 declared war and everything else modifiers.

And he, along with everyone else I could be bothered to check, was at least a +80 to me beforehand too. Random people in the middle of India love me.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

867 is broken because they didnt implement a sensible maximum range range for conquest or holy war or cooldown for free CBs that all tribal norse get, 1066 is broken because AI rulers dont upgrade their holdings - the entire game is broken because the AI doesnt know how to do matrilineal marriages and put their heirs as knights in every battle so every dynasty dies off in a generation or shorter

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

On another note, I found I had a lot of difficulty figuring out where allied armies were and which ruler/title exactly they belonged to, and even more in trying to help my liege when I chose to do so short of manually following them around and hoping they don't just abandon me when a comparably-sized enemy army rolls up. Am I missing an attach army button or something?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Alright I'm salty because I started as one of the Jimenas, have now formed Hispania, and don't have the cheevo.

Also I'm lesbian which means cranking out the one son I had was lucky, and of course some rando who doesn't even stand to benefit killed him aged 6. At least I found out whomst it was though, and justice was served.

e; I just got leprosy :negative: So I guess no miracle middle aged new babby for me

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

eXXon posted:

On another note, I found I had a lot of difficulty figuring out where allied armies were and which ruler/title exactly they belonged to, and even more in trying to help my liege when I chose to do so short of manually following them around and hoping they don't just abandon me when a comparably-sized enemy army rolls up. Am I missing an attach army button or something?

they opted not to implement this mechanic into the game. the ai will almost always follow the war leader and theres no way to ask them to siege or to not follow you