Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Gripweed posted:

If Woodward had released this tape in March it could've had a big effect on the reaction to Coranavirus. Maybe even some Trump supporters would've taken it a little more seriously.

On the other hand, maybe it wouldn't have changed anything. There's no way to know for sure. But Woodward did know for sure that saving it until closer to the release of his book would make for great publicity and be a big sales boost. So he played it safe.

Trump would have still chugged along with his plan because he wants a whole shitload of people to die for him, the rest of the GOP might not have been willing to go along with the farce though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nachos posted:

Doesn’t matter as long as he’s on defense for the next 60 days. The less attention on Biden the better

more like the next 6 hours

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
This election owns

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1303751532194738181?s=20

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What's the number of votes that were necessary to swing the 2016 election? It's like a few hundred K in Wisconsin or something, right?

I am curious if the number of Coronavirus deaths will surpass (has surpassed?) that number.

It's not really meaningful if it does, but it is some kind of political curiosity / tragedy.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

How concerned is Susan Collins?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

I had believed I was beyond reacting to things with "oh for fucks' sake" by now, but here we are.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TulliusCicero posted:

Can you impeach a President twice?

Asking for reasons

Like holy gently caress, I thought I hated him when he was a loving incompetent clown who bought his own hype, but holy poo poo he loving KNEW how deadly it was, fully understood, and just lied and let thousands die anyway for his blood economy

gently caress him so god drat much

I think this is a key takeaway here:

Trump UNDERSTOOD the implications of the corona back then. He wasn’t just blindly parroting talking points given to him by his babysitters, this clip shows that he himself understood 1: what Corona meant as a threat and 2: that his public respons was to downplay that threat, rather than fighting it.

In short: Trump understood the danger of COVID, and yet, AND YET, decided that the best course of action was to publicly claim it’d go away like a miracle.

If that’s not a tremendously damaging sound bite for him, I don’t know what is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endorph posted:

more like the next 6 hours

the coronavirus is causing significant erosion in trump's support (you can see this in his erosion in senior citizens), and having it on tape that he lied about it is going to come up constantly

i would expect this audio to be playing in ads from now until election day

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DaveWoo posted:

Bit of a weird tension in this thread between "these Trump quotes won't change anything lol" and "if only Woodward had released these Trump quotes six months ago, it would've changed everything".

it's two different things, which is why you're confused.

No the Woodward stuff wouldn't sway the election to begin with, but having a literal tape of him lying about how serious the virus is and admitting it would help, say, local leaders in georgia and texas and such fight against their idiot governors telling them they don't need a mask mandate and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

what a cool election

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cefte posted:

Why is debate being conducted by probation reason?

Edit: read thread firstpost.

Edit again: No, seriously. This is the first post:

Which links to a closed thread, which will apparently not be re-opened.

A plain majority of this thread is onerous discussion of the incumbent candidate - why is debate about the other candidate being conducted by probation reason?

don't be ridiculous, it clearly links to the open thread because i definitely double-checked the OP when I started the summer thread rather than just copy-pasting as is

current policy, which is not adequately reflected in the OP, is that Bidenchat takes over the thread in very toxic ways and engaging in it may or may not be probateable depending on how toxic the environment currently is, how many hours days it's been since it last drowned the thread, and what fool of sound had for breakfast

on a fairly regular basis we take a lighter hand on it because maybe this time it won't devolve into a disaster, and guess what happens and will happen again

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 9, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TulliusCicero posted:

Can you impeach a President twice?

There is nothing preventing this other than politics. That and no other president managing to commit two independent impeachable offenses during a single term until now.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What's the number of votes that were necessary to swing the 2016 election? It's like a few hundred K in Wisconsin or something, right?

It was something like 10,000 votes across 3 critical blue wall states.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm pissed but honestly not that surprised that Woodward sat on something like this for months, since I read his previous book on Trump and it was trash.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trump has done way more than 2 impeachable things, every loving single month he's been in office

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

quote:

In the midst of reflecting upon how close the United States had come in 2017 to war with North Korea, Trump revealed, “I have built a nuclear — a weapons system that nobody’s ever had in this country before. We have stuff that you haven’t even seen or heard about. We have stuff that Putin and Xi have never heard about before. There’s nobody — what we have is incredible.”

Woodward writes that anonymous sources later confirmed that the U.S. military had a secret new weapons system, but they would not provide details, and that the sources were surprised Trump had disclosed it.

Uh what is our secret new weapons system? Wtf?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Honestly? If you are from another country why the gently caress would you risk coming here, a COVID infested, Y'all Qaeda led, banana republic?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Honestly? If you are from another country why the gently caress would you risk coming here, a COVID infested, Y'all Qaeda led, banana republic?

Probably because people have work and family, genius

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Petitioning to officially relabel "First Past The Post" to "Race To Our National Grave"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Uh what is our secret new weapons system? Wtf?

Nobody knows, this is Trump declassifying it. Off the cuff. On an unrelated phone call. With a journalist. Because he has the best brain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1303754401077755904

i feel like that sort of agreement probably still shouldn't be honored but it's worth noting

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

If we re-elect Donald Trump we deserve everything we get. He really is a dumb, malicious motherfucker.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

The most surprising thing about this is that Yahoo News got the scoop.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ben_rosen/status/1303744465874509824?s=20

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeah it's pretty clear just from watching them. Trump seems way worse, but it's clear Biden has some issues. lol at everyone who insisted that Biden looked fine though

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

punishedkissinger posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear just from watching them. Trump seems way worse, but it's clear Biden has some issues. lol at everyone who insisted that Biden looked fine though

Yeah, I don't think your gonna find a lot of those people in here. Everytime my dad starts worrying about Biden stuff, I remind him that everyone under 30 tried to warn people about him

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Biden's taking loads of live questions and answering them intelligently and consistently.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The sad fact of it is: these tapes and quotes are so awful precisely because of what has happened between February 2020 and today. Publishing them at the time would have got lost in the noise, while today, with closing on 200,000 dead, they are monstrous.

That's not a value judgement, it's just the fact of the matter.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Biden's taking loads of live questions and answering them intelligently and consistently.

Ok but clearly he's doing something wrong if 52% of likely voters think he seems mentally impaired then

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like I watch the full speeches and broadcasts and he's not 2008 Biden but I also re-listened to a CSPAN recording from 1990 and fuckin Strom was still there and looked like poo poo and he was still effectual in 1990, the bastard.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/Matthaber/status/1303751862487625728?s=19

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

punishedkissinger posted:

Ok but clearly he's doing something wrong if 52% of likely voters think he seems mentally impaired then

It's more like people are doing something wrong by listening to soundbites and their most online friends instead of just watching his speeches, interviews, and other appearances.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

haveblue posted:

There is nothing preventing this other than politics. That and no other president managing to commit two independent impeachable offenses during a single term until now.

It was something like 10,000 votes across 3 critical blue wall states.

77,000 combined in WI, PA, and MI.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Telsa Cola posted:

If your argument is that the US is not going to be engaged in an equalish air war anytime soon and that it should instead focus on gun runs then your argument really should be that the US military needs a new and improved A-10, because any of the F-XX family is going to suck in comparison to a dedicated ground attack design.

I dunno it seems extremely stupid to be arguing that the planes that are comparatively lovely for doing strafing runs absolutely NEED large ammo counts specifically for that purpose.

Sorry, only get so much time to browse through SA these days.

The problem with this is the top brass of the Air Force want their super sleek speedy planes. The A-10 has been a thorn for them for decades. It's everything they hate; Ugly, slow, and not something they can delegate to anything but CAS. They've been trying to kill it since shortly after its release. From trying to phase it out to outright shredding the funding allocated for the planes. They can't because the plane is popular and works, it does a job none of the other planes can do. They hoped the F-35 could replace it and they'd get their nice little zippy plane they wanted. Supposedly designers are working on a new "super hog", and the brass are still trying to push the fighters they have as the answer instead. They really REALLY hate the hog
The argument was a plane that was supposed to do CAS has dick for ammo and that it didn't matter because guns were obsolete anyways.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

How are u posted:

The sad fact of it is: these tapes and quotes are so awful precisely because of what has happened between February 2020 and today. Publishing them at the time would have got lost in the noise, while today, with closing on 200,000 dead, they are monstrous.

That's not a value judgement, it's just the fact of the matter.
Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, Woodward coming out with these tapes back in Feb/March would likely have just led to a bunch of calls of "fake news" and "that's not really what Trump meant" and "it doesn't matter, this virus is gonna be nothing." I mean, hell, I'm listening to the tapes now with 200K dead from covid, and I'm still skeptical that they're even going to move the needle.

He still should have released the tapes back then though.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I wonder if we'll ever know how many votes/voters the Russians erased in 2016.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1237027356314869761?s=21

Twitter is the best and the worst thing that has ever happened to Trump.

It's like watching some troll or idiot try to explain away why their claims aren't wrong.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:ironicat:
https://twitter.com/JarrettBlanc/status/1303753650880294912

https://twitter.com/hypervisible/status/1303360589444640769

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1303723255493201920

https://twitter.com/caseyjohnston/status/1303688081082585088

https://twitter.com/JoeBerkowitz/status/1303751665636356098

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pick posted:

It's more like people are doing something wrong by listening to soundbites and their most online friends instead of just watching his speeches, interviews, and other appearances.

You have to see where this strategy breaks down if you are requiring the general public to watch Biden ramble for twenty minutes before they can be allowed to pass judgement, right?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Who let Trump do an interview with the Watergate guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Has the Woodward book been released, or is this just part of the pre-release hype? Like - are there more shoes to drop from that book, or has someone gotten a copy and all the good bits are already in the Post?