Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah I have neighbours, insomnia, and bad soundproofing so I save up all my subtitled movies for the early hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Subtitled movies are also great for boring classes/meetings. Teacher in one screen, Evil Dead Trap on another screen!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tarnop posted:

Cinema screen = big phone?

Dick pics in IMAX

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Karloff posted:

Not at all. Everyone's got their thing. I've had anxiety trouble myself over things which others would probably scoff at, but it felt very intense to me. Everyone's different, and there's no shame in just going "nope, not for me".

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The autism + extremely bad nightmares as a kid thing was my exact trajectory too, except that when I was about 10 years old something just snapped in my brain and I both stopped having nightmares and now find it very difficult to actually have a fear response to a film.

Every once in a while it still happens, and it's not a question of me being some hardass who isn't afraid of anything; sometimes really silly poo poo is what does the trick, like that tacky 1999 remake of The Haunting. But for the most part, I have an extremely distant and abstract reaction to horror (and still really enjoy it, just... not the way I think most people do)

Thanks that does reassure me a fair amount

Alhazred posted:

The entire franchise has one good joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfj2aiWh0ek
I tried the movies because I'm fan of the Wayans bros but it's just so frustrating to watch joke after joke that doesn't land.

I will fully admit that my sense of humor can sometimes be incredibly juvenile, though I also haven't seen any of those movies in like almost a decade so it's possible I wouldn't find them as funny as teen me did

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sure, those jokes are chuckle worthy (in a sensible way). But the joke with the black news crew was more pointed and political and also made me hopeful that the rest of the movie would be like that. Instead I got bad dick jokes and jokes about Shawn Wayans' character being closeted.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
LMFAO at poseurs in this thread not blasting Demon's 2 at maximum volume while drowning out the neighbors beating on your walls

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A major issue with fandom is that watching a lot of poo poo in bulk is used as a sort of substitute for reading well. Watching a good variety of films is an important part of film literacy, but the real goal is being able to interpret films. The achievement of watching all the Universal Horrors, or all the Friday The 13th films, or whatever, just tells me you have a lot of free time.

The redundancy that is common in franchises is what makes me a non-completist, especially with Friday the 13th. This is also why I wish Halloween 3 (hardly a hot take to say it actually owns) landed better.

Would I be getting much variety from the Universal Monster series? I kind of doubt it. This thread has convinced me to at least see Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

God drat it I'm not gonna go to a theater, release this stuff on digital you nincompoops

I'm extremely not going to a theatre either. I would further say that Saint Maud doesn't demand a theatre experience. I am, however, seriously considering contracting Rona to see the new Dune.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess just speaking for myself, at a certain point with horror I started to have like an academic curiosity about the history and development of the genre. So it wasn't some sort of horror-cred gatekeeper kinda thing, it was just like "I love this genre and I want to know everything I possibly can about it." And it seemed impossible to do that without at least sampling the Universal Monster movies.

So when I see a guy with a horror-themed handle on youtube doing a horror video series, and wearing a Re-Animator shirt, I assume he's somewhat like me in that way. But I guess not everyone has that curiosity.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

no horror is necessary viewing except for the Firefly trilogy and the New York Ripper

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

You're not a real horror fan until you've fully digested Tor Johnson's oeuvre.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vore Johnson

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Fans of my Spook-a-doodle art may be excited to know I finally made my own website for my art. Prints aren't available for purchase yet, but when I've got them priced and in the shop, I'll make another post about it.

Since I'm using my real name, I'm not going to link it. (I don't need sneaky jerks tryin to doxx my happy rear end for being a mean mod.) If you'd like a link, you know how to contact me.

Prints of my Universal Monster series will be available, including my Invisible Man and Creature From The Black Lagoon, and I'm finally going to finish that series with a Dracula and Bride of Frankenstein now that I have a place to sell them. A big reason I never sold them in the first place is because of how slippery copyrights can be with "fan art" on most platforms. So my website will have original pieces as well as the fan art, with less fear of repercussions.

Cheers.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Fans of my Spook-a-doodle art may be excited to know I finally made my own website for my art. Prints aren't available for purchase yet, but when I've got them priced and in the shop, I'll make another post about it.

Since I'm using my real name, I'm not going to link it. (I don't need sneaky jerks tryin to doxx my happy rear end for being a mean mod.) If you'd like a link, you know how to contact me.

Prints of my Universal Monster series will be available, including my Invisible Man and Creature From The Black Lagoon, and I'm finally going to finish that series with a Dracula and Bride of Frankenstein now that I have a place to sell them. A big reason I never sold them in the first place is because of how slippery copyrights can be with "fan art" on most platforms. So my website will have original pieces as well as the fan art, with less fear of repercussions.

Cheers.

pm me that sweet link

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Would I be getting much variety from the Universal Monster series? I kind of doubt it. This thread has convinced me to at least see Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein though.
This came up in the franchise thread, but Universal Monstes is a sort of retroactive branding. A lot of the movies only have loose connections, the connections themselves often more rooted in similar cast, crew, and obviously distributor than working cohesively as an actual franchise. Which is to say that OG Phantom of the Opera, The Invisible Man, Dracula, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon don't actually have a lot to do with each other, and are all pretty good.

I will add, a lot of the films that people cite as being good and worth watching are pretty different from each other. And the reason that the early Frankenstein sequels and Creature get cited as being worth watching are because they actually do play with the concept in fun ways.

Basebf555 posted:

I guess just speaking for myself, at a certain point with horror I started to have like an academic curiosity about the history and development of the genre. So it wasn't some sort of horror-cred gatekeeper kinda thing, it was just like "I love this genre and I want to know everything I possibly can about it." And it seemed impossible to do that without at least sampling the Universal Monster movies.
Yeah, I definitely had a "Let's see what's out there... philosophy to movies in general in college which I've lost as I've gotten older and focused on other things. Horror tends to lends itself that because it's not always a well-considered genre. So, the building of the canon is more built through rediscovery and reassessment.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

Knowing film history is obviously good too, but it's a parallel thing.

Like, for the hell of it, I've been examining the long history of Bigfoot on film (especially where it intersects with found footage / pseudocumentary). And, if you sort through a lot of the misinformation out there:

1) The entire field of bigfoot research (or whatever you'd like to call it) is based pretty much solely on a conviction that the infamous 1968 Patterson Footage was 'unfakeable'. There's literally no other evidence out there.
2) The Patterson Footage was filmed during the production of a Bigfoot horror movie, which was eventually completed (after Patterson's death) as Sasquatch: The Legend Of Bigfoot in 1976.
3) Sasquatch: The Legend Of Bigfoot is extremely boring and not really noteworthy at all, outside this historical significance.

If anything, the shittiness of Sasquatch '76 is the key thing that contributed to Bigfoot becoming a lasting phenomenon. Because the film and its creators faded into obscurity, it's like if Blair Witch's ad campaign were vastly better-known than the actual film series, and less falsifiable because it made fewer verifiable claims. The Sasquatch film was simply released too late after its initial promotion, and so comes across as generic 'Squatchsploitation instead of the first-ever Bigfoot movie.

(Go back a little further, and Patterson's Bigfoot horror movie was based on a confirmed hoax from 1958 - and the concept of an objectively-existing-but-undiscovered American ape species didn't actually exist before that point.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It takes more time to write up an argument in this thread about why you won't watch a Universal Monster movie than it takes to actually watch a Universal Monster movie and see what the hype is about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Knowing film history is obviously good too, but it's a parallel thing.

Like, for the hell of it, I've been examining the long history of Bigfoot on film (especially where it intersects with found footage / pseudocumentary). And, if you sort through a lot of the misinformation out there:

1) The entire field of bigfoot research (or whatever you'd like to call it) is based pretty much solely on a conviction that the infamous 1968 Patterson Footage was 'unfakeable'. There's literally no other evidence out there.
2) The Patterson Footage was filmed during the production of a Bigfoot horror movie, which was eventually completed (after Patterson's death) as Sasquatch: The Legend Of Bigfoot in 1976.
3) Sasquatch: The Legend Of Bigfoot is extremely boring and not really noteworthy at all, outside this historical significance.

If anything, the shittiness of Sasquatch '76 is the key thing that contributed to Bigfoot becoming a lasting phenomenon. Because the film and its creators faded into obscurity, it's like if Blair Witch's ad campaign were vastly better-known than the actual film series, and less falsifiable because it made fewer verifiable claims. The Sasquatch film was simply released too late after its initial promotion, and so comes across as generic 'Squatchsploitation instead of the first-ever Bigfoot movie.

(Go back a little further, and Patterson's Bigfoot horror movie was based on a confirmed hoax from 1958 - and the concept of an objectively-existing-but-undiscovered American ape species didn't actually exist before that point.)

In terms of evidence, you're right the only significant evidence that people ever point to is the Patterson film. Most of the tracks have been exposed as hoaxes, or they're just not convincing to begin with.

The myth itself traces much further back, before the name Bigfoot existed. Native Americans had various names for it, and then of course if you want to bring in very similar myths from other areas of the world you can find plenty of them. So I think that even without the Patterson film Sasquatch/Bigfoot would've been a long-lasting, prominent American myth.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Let's buy them an account so we can run the poser off the forums! Then once they make it big we can lament that we did so.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Franchescanado posted:

It takes more time to write up an argument in this thread about why you won't watch a Universal Monster movie than it takes to actually watch a Universal Monster movie and see what the hype is about.

I'm going to be watching a bunch of them in just over a fortnight since my Spooktober plan is to just work my way down the They Shoot Zombies list with movies I've seen filtered out.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This discussion caused me to notice I have two copies of Bride of Frankenstein... why did I do that?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I plan on watching all of the Universals as part of my October Challenge and am really looking forward to it .

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

I'm going to be watching a bunch of them in just over a fortnight since my Spooktober plan is to just work my way down the They Shoot Zombies list with movies I've seen filtered out.

You're in for a treat. I'd say watch the chronologically instead of whatever TSZ's have them ranked, since, as mentioned earlier, Frankenstein and Dracula were made when filmmakers were still trying to figure out sound design, and they fixed that on the 3rd movie.

Whoever assumed (I'm not scrolling for this edit) that all of the Universal Monster movies are the same, are mistaken. They're all pretty different (minus The Mummy, which is basically just Dracula in Egypt.)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I wanna say the only Bigfoot movie I've seen was something on Sci-Fi with Lance Henrikson. A plane crashes and Bigfoot starts killing people, but it is mainly a misunderstanding because Bigfoot perceives the crash as an attack on his territory? I have verified none of this information.

Cryptids have a poor track record on film, esp Nessie. I always thought Mothman Prophecies was underrated though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Say fellas, what exactly is a spook-a-doodle?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Cryptids have a poor track record on film, esp Nessie. I always thought Mothman Prophecies was underrated though.

The reason Mothman is a good subject for film is that the cryptid aspect is like the least interesting part of it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I wanna say the only Bigfoot movie I've seen was something on Sci-Fi with Lance Henrikson. A plane crashes and Bigfoot starts killing people, but it is mainly a misunderstanding because Bigfoot perceives the crash as an attack on his territory? I have verified none of this information.

The original Boggy Creek is amazing and genuinely terrifying for being cheap garbage. The mood it sets is incredible--it really makes a hazy 70s afternoon seem terrifying.

It's also a pioneer of some of the thing that Blair Witch gets credited with, specifically presenting interviews with actual locals that may or may not be entirely improvised. The locals in Boggy Creek are way more interesting, though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Anything that brings a chill to your spine on a stormy night.

e: I guess in this case, scoliosis would qualify as a spook-a-doodle

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm gonna watch some Universal monster movies as part of next month's challenge just so I can be part of the smug monster movie watcher club

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The original Boggy Creek is amazing and genuinely terrifying for being cheap garbage. The mood it sets is incredible--it really makes a hazy 70s afternoon seem terrifying.

It's also a pioneer of some of the thing that Blair Witch gets credited with, specifically presenting interviews with actual locals that may or may not be entirely improvised. The locals in Boggy Creek are way more interesting, though.

Legend of Boggy Creek is fantastic. It reminds me of The Town That Dreaded Sundown, in that they're both movies that came out before people figured out how to make those types of movies. So they're both really unique and memorable.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

flashy_mcflash posted:

So late-stage alcoholism also counts?

I've been going about my Octobers all wrong.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

flashy_mcflash posted:

My roommate had surgery to correct scoliosis, and I can tell you second hand that scoliosis only brings pain and suffering.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Is The Ice Cream Man worth watching? How does it compare to Clint Howard’s other performances?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I'm gonna watch some Universal monster movies as part of next month's challenge just so I can be part of the smug monster movie watcher club

I mean we're all posting in an internet forum for movie nerds so I feel like "black and white movies can actually be really good" is the absolute lowest possible level of smugness a person can display.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

aware of dog posted:

Is The Ice Cream Man worth watching? How does it compare to Clint Howard’s other performances?

Yeah, it's pretty good for a 90's made for TV movie, and the Vinegar Syndrome restoration looks fantastic

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah, time for the monthly "what is spookadoodle" discussion.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

If ya gotta ask, ya can't afford it

married but discreet posted:

Ah, time for the monthly "what is spookadoodle" discussion.

Not back on the spook-a-doodle kick. Still on it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It is kind of interesting how I think the horror fanbase is going to change. If you grew up in the late 90s and early 2000s, there really wasn't a lot of good horror. So, it easy to live in old Universal horror or 70s and 80s slashers. But that's not really the case anymore. We're a decade in of a pretty solid Horror renaissance.