Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean, going to Disney when you live there is a hugely different sort of expense than going if you need hotels and travel and can't justify a an pass.

Hell, my family went there a few years ago and the cost of like four days' tickets was practically equivalent to annual passes, but you don't get to buy annual passes for hotels or gas or flights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, going to Disney when you live there is a hugely different sort of expense than going if you need hotels and travel and can't justify a an pass.

Hell, my family went there a few years ago and the cost of like four days' tickets was practically equivalent to annual passes, but you don't get to buy annual passes for hotels or gas or flights.

Agreed. I went with my family to Disney/Universal once in high school, when we lived in New England. I live in Florida now. Its very different when you're trying to ~*~*make memories*~*~* for this one-time big family vacation in which you want to eke out every. single. scrap. of experience and souvenirs in 4 days. When you can drive over each weekend, you don't need to rent cars or strollers, or get a hotel or flight, you don't need fast passes because whatever ride you don't catch you can just get next week, you don't feel the need to buy random tat because you'll just be up again in a week or two if you want, etc.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

can someone explain to a layman what that means? why is it doing the dumb thing bc of tardigrades?

There's a similar case where a soundcloud?bandcamp? musician had her payments blocked because she had the string *iran* in her name, and support suggested she add a . or something to break it up.

If this is along those lines, then it might be a lovely, overzealous effort where it might be reacting to the term 'grade' in tardigrade.
If that is the case, then it's another prime example of shittily designed and implemented 'security' measures made as cheaply as possible.

It probably just autoflags any payments that include flagged terms in either the description or user info.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The thing is, anglos are _extremely_ censorious in a very specific way. They generally concentrate all their efforts on policing the form of words, so you get inane stuff like "darn" instead of "drat", constant replacements of single letters in words like "sh*t" as if it changed the meaning of the word. You can express your sincere desire to exterminate a people, but if you say a bad word while doing it, that's when you cross the line.

With the advent of the Online, this got translated into word filters. Word filters are asinine since they don't know about context and are filled by the knuckleheads who think word filters are a good idea. These filters have a ton of by-catch. This is called the Scunthorpe problem, a clbuttic case of a self-inflicted technical solution to a non-existent problem.

Since the creators of these systems are generally intellectually lazy they will turn them on everywhere they can do the most harm. In name fields for example, so if someone's name contain the letters of a Bad Word, they'll get blocked or turned into someone else. That's how Mr. Gay turns into Mr. Homosexual (a real case, not making this one up).

Since the creators of these systems are also morons, they don't consider other languages either. I remember being unable to link an item in an MMO because the bad word filter triggered on their own translation. "Heilen" means "to heal" in German, but that's lost on the monoglot simpletons who think word filters are a good idea.

Since the creators of these systems are aggressively stupid, they don't know how language actually works, so they just do substring matches. So good luck trying to "assess" something. You can't. The letter police will ban you for using naughty substrings.

Now, however, we've entered the age of "AI". So people got the brilliant idea to feed their garbage data into a black box that they can't explain. The AlGoRiTHm trained on their garbage decides things but its behaviour can't be explained. A system trained on a list of bad words would find new and inventive ways of being sh*t, seeing naughty words everywhere even if they aren't. Since they can't explain the thing, but the thing must be right, they just say vaguely that "the system" has decided, "for security".

tl;dr if you see someone advocating word filters, give them a wedgie. If they are ML people, make them hit themselves so hard they give themselves a concussion.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
one would think Marxist-Leninists would know better than to advocate word filters

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Down with the bou*geoisie

Also in Pokémon games you can’t trade the monster named Cofagrigus (a coffin ghost) unless you nickname it something else

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Sep 9, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I played RuneScape growing up and people would evade word filters by spelling [)ick and things like that. They tried to fix that by using heuristics for filtering and it would just ban sentences for no visible reason.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

can someone explain to a layman what that means? why is it doing the dumb thing bc of tardigrades?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SubNat posted:

There's a similar case where a soundcloud?bandcamp? musician had her payments blocked because she had the string *iran* in her name, and support suggested she add a . or something to break it up.

If this is along those lines, then it might be a lovely, overzealous effort where it might be reacting to the term 'grade' in tardigrade.
If that is the case, then it's another prime example of shittily designed and implemented 'security' measures made as cheaply as possible.

It probably just autoflags any payments that include flagged terms in either the description or user info.

You'd think they could just use an algorithm to flag this poo poo to some real people, who could then make decisions.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Elviscat posted:

You'd think they could just use an algorithm to flag this poo poo to some real people, who could then make decisions.

*unpaid intern hits "deny" every time computer beeps at him while browsing memes*

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

tl;dr if you see someone advocating word filters, give them a wedgie. If they are ML people, make them hit themselves so hard they give themselves a concussion.

I'm with antigravitas. gently caress word filters.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Elviscat posted:

What, hire labor? I don't think you "get" this whole automation thing, pal.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, the scale puts it over the top.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's how you know it's deep.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

christmas boots posted:

real poor people salt their meat and store it in the cellar.

ah, the ben shapiro experience.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

Hobbits already live underground.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zetsubou-san posted:

You think he's tall enough to use stairs safely?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xtal posted:

I played RuneScape growing up and people would evade word filters by spelling [)ick and things like that. They tried to fix that by using heuristics for filtering and it would just ban sentences for no visible reason.
Good luck organising a weekend game for Sa****ay in Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Has anyone made a game with an assassin class that also filtered the word rear end out?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inceltown posted:

Has anyone made a game with an assassin class that also filtered the word rear end out?

You can get around it by calling it an arsearsein

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/bostonpatrolmen/status/1303802523225149442?s=21

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtXnIBMLFa4

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Inceltown posted:

I believe there used to be a word filter on the old White Wolf forums that filtered 'rear end' to 'butt', leading tot he Buttimites and the ButtButtins.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Inceltown posted:

In Phantasy Star Online there were weapons with the word Hell in them, but if you tried to say the weapons name in chat it would get censored. Also Saturday would be censored and so would crackers. Heres an article :

https://archive.rpgamer.com/editor/2001/q2/060301cu.html

Not in the article, but from my memory, socks also was filtered, maybe it was too close to sucks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Dark Souls infamously turned Knight in player names into K***ht.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQSsrvsszcs

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Inceltown posted:

Pokemon Black and White introduced a pokemon named Cofagrigus. The game would not let you trade it with other players unless you changed its name to something else.

Nintendo whitelisted it in later generations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Haven't any of these ding dongs ever heard of a loving regular expression? Jeez

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Dark Souls infamously turned Knight in player names into K***ht.

My favorite Dark Souls censor was someone with the character name "D***pan Dave." Anyone with a brain would read that "Dickpan Dave" because wtf else do you censor that starts with D. The censored bit? EAD Fuckin Dark Souls censored the word Dead.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

EAD stands for "eat a dick" so it may have been that they censored.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inceltown posted:

that still means they censored the word "Dead"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inceltown posted:

It was, but the game was DARK SOULS and nobody thought "Hey, the word 'Dead' has this thing we censored in it, is this a problem?"

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Midnight Voyager posted:

My favorite Dark Souls censor was someone with the character name "D***pan Dave." Anyone with a brain would read that "Dickpan Dave" because wtf else do you censor that starts with D. The censored bit? EAD Fuckin Dark Souls censored the word Dead.

(I've been probated for saying as much before, but here goes...) One of the most annoying things in gaming is companies censoring themselves to appeal to Chinese markets. Like in WOW they had to censor out all depictions of bones for Wrath of the Lich King for the Chinese markets. I'm sure for a lot of these companies they don't care how ridiculous it looks so long as they can still sell games in the glorious people's republic.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

https://twitter.com/liminalphase/status/1303843219009163266

Cops lying whaaaaa?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Midnight Voyager posted:

it's because of my character Bill Eon D*** Copse

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cult_hero posted:

(I've been probated for saying as much before, but here goes...)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's kinda funny, all the bones littering the ground in tombs on the chinese client are replaced with loaves of bread

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I mean it's good a cop got insulted and told to gently caress off but I don't think the cop tweet was trying to claim that was the actual store where it happened, they just grabbed the first Ace Hardware sign that showed up in an image search. So it's another idiot trying and failing to burn some idiot cops whining about a bad thing happening to a fellow idiot cop.

Fractal idiocy, in other words.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the cops aren't just whining, they're trying to get people fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hawowanlawow posted:

the cops aren't just whining, they're trying to get people fired

Aad instead of complaining about that and pointing it out, someone tried to own them by pointing out they didn't use the right photo in their tweet. I think that's a stupid reaction.