Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I need a Fresca now tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MarcusSA posted:

I need a Fresca now tbh

What is up with that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

What is up with that?

It's got crisp and refreshing citrus flavors with zero calories. What's not to get?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Swollen Member posted:

Do you guys actually want me to step back in this loving mess? After being warned off?

OK then, let me take your obvious bait. Shutting the teaching of marxist critical race theory down - struggle sessions and all - in us.gov does not in any way, shape, or form constitute racism. On the contrary, it is long overdue common sense. IMO, YMMV.

Now back to The Boys. If it's not too much.

:ok:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

I need a Fresca now tbh

i'm having visions of watch parties organized by 30somethings with frescas, milk, pancakes and garbage puns on everything

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Trump may have a record of being racist and doing racist things and using racist dogwhistles spanning decades/generations but I've never seen him in a klan hood therefore it's impossible for him to be racist

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Haha "marxist critical race theory". Thanks thread, I needed a laugh today.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Verus posted:

Why have you ruined my youtube recommendations

(Just in case this is more than a joke post,)
If you delete a video from your watch history in youtube it will un-gently caress your recommendations.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
Jeez, guys. It's as if you only see what you want to see. But I admit defeat and bow out of this thread. Be well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Swollen Member posted:

I'll have you know, I don't even see race

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yes, and I'm here to see a grown man get seduced by a dolphin

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Gwaihir posted:

(Just in case this is more than a joke post,)
If you delete a video from your watch history in youtube it will un-gently caress your recommendations.

I realize now that he posted that link because he actually thinks we're NPCs for understanding that racism exists, not to make fun of it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Swollen Member posted:

Do you guys actually want me to step back in this loving mess? After being warned off?

OK then, let me take your obvious bait. Shutting the teaching of marxist critical race theory down - struggle sessions and all - in us.gov does not in any way, shape, or form constitute racism. On the contrary, it is long overdue common sense. IMO, YMMV.

Your posting is completely incoherent and you’re raging around swinging blindly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Swollen Member posted:

(strains to squeeze oily, spattering turd on living room floor in front of Family TV Hour)

"Look, we're just here to talk about This Is Us, can we get back to that if it's not too much?"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Swollen Member posted:

White supremacists are stupid, I agree. I still don't see how this is of any use against Trump, sorry.

If you don't like him and you want to combat him somehow, maybe grab onto some of his widely documented and provable crimes. Selling Trump as racist is very hard to do when there's video out there of civil rights leaders standing in line to press his hand for his support of the black community. That dog don't hunt.

If you want to oppose Trump, stop wasting your time on all this lame mediabait and focus on his actual crimes. Sitting at home knitting an Antifa scarf ain't gonna do poo poo.

(As you can probably tell, I'm not an american)

Siri show me the worst post ever made

Swollen Member posted:

lol you can always tell when someone is a r/the_donald poster when they talk about MARXIST THEORY

go back to posting on voat you loving reactionary shithead

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 9, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Swollen Member posted:

White supremacists are stupid, I agree. I still don't see how this is of any use against Trump, sorry.

If you don't like him and you want to combat him somehow, maybe grab onto some of his widely documented and provable crimes. Selling Trump as racist is very hard to do when there's video out there of civil rights leaders standing in line to press his hand for his support of the black community. That dog don't hunt.

If you want to oppose Trump, stop wasting your time on all this lame mediabait and focus on his actual crimes. Sitting at home knitting an Antifa scarf ain't gonna do poo poo.

(As you can probably tell, I'm not an american)

If you're not a rereg lurk more. Honest advice. maybe look in the politics forums to understand how to post about this stuff here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Starks posted:

If you're not a rereg lurk more.

Good advice.

Starks posted:

maybe look in the politics forums to understand how to post about this stuff here.

Oh god terrible advice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

What is up with that?

I read an interview with the showrunners who said that they just wanted what's his name to offer The Deep a drink, didn't want it to be a beer, and thought, "What would be funny? Fresca! Fresca would be funny!" and have just been running with that ever since because they think it's funny. And honestly, they're not wrong.

Also, I hate Fresca, and all flavored tonic waters.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
S1: The Fly

S2: The Fresca

there must always be a red herring

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh man I looked into this and people are being genuinely awful. It seems like it might be getting to her too.

Man the internet sucks

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh yeah, the person asking is a bit of a oval office.

Look in the mirror, BurritoJustice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

quote:

marxist critical race theory
Lol this is a masterful troll.

I fuckin love how some folks will be like "OMG stromfront such a millennial SJW!" And 2 episodes later it's Laura Ingram Heils being thrown around

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

As a reminder of how stupid or how much bad faith people post with

She's not an SJW but all the people calling her a literal Nazi are going to be disappointed when they find out she's just a Third Way Democrat.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So a new name for Nazi?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I need a Fresca now tbh

They’re going to offer one to Stormfront and she’s going to ask for a Zima instead.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MarcusSA posted:

I need a Fresca now tbh

Big same.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I feel the show hits differently than season one, because superheroes killing like 600 people through negligence is less affecting them real life presidents killing 200,000 people the same way. It’s completely reasonable that farts stock price would just go back up after press conference, even if they didn’t catch a terrorist, as one side made buying Vought a symbol of freedom or something.

Good stormfront twist tho.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Golden Bee posted:

I feel the show hits differently than season one, because superheroes killing like 600 people through negligence is less affecting them real life presidents killing 200,000 people the same way. It’s completely reasonable that farts stock price would just go back up after press conference, even if they didn’t catch a terrorist, as one side made buying Vought a symbol of freedom or something.

Good stormfront twist tho.

People keep talking about the "Stormfront twist" (not just here, other places as well), and like...was it a twist? I've been assuming she's a terrible person since she appeared on the show. Did people think she was really going to be a hero and ally to Starlight? Or do they specifically mean the racist comment at the end? Because that's really just an aspect of her being terrible.

Like, they just finally let loose with her being terrible. But nothing there was all that surprising, other than the slur. Which wasn't really a "twist", more of a, "Oh, I guess she's also racist."

That being said, Kimiko is going to wreck her poo poo. That was one hell of a look of rage at the end.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

People keep talking about the "Stormfront twist" (not just here, other places as well), and like...was it a twist? I've been assuming she's a terrible person since she appeared on the show. Did people think she was really going to be a hero and ally to Starlight? Or do they specifically mean the racist comment at the end? Because that's really just an aspect of her being terrible.

Like, they just finally let loose with her being terrible. But nothing there was all that surprising, other than the slur. Which wasn't really a "twist", more of a, "Oh, I guess she's also racist."

That being said, Kimiko is going to wreck her poo poo. That was one hell of a look of rage at the end.

I mean it’s the first time you see her using any of her powers after three episodes so I would call it a reveal more than a twist

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Can't wait for Hughie to take compound V and end up with some dumbass power like "look slightly more like meg ryan"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

moist turtleneck posted:

Can't wait for Hughie to take compound V and end up with some dumbass power like "look slightly more like meg ryan"

When he smiles, though, he's all Dennis Quaid.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

BurritoJustice posted:

I don't think it could get more explicit than the actress saying it outright and hoping more people get it into their heads from the obvious poo poo they're throwing lol

Aya Cash rules

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I call it a twist because I thought the show would sandbag how disgusting and evil she was until at least at halfway

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I have no idea why you're talking about Trump. This show could have been made in the '90s or 2006 or 2014.

I watched Babylon 5 a year and one of the plots is a fascist takeover of a democracy.

What was funny about it is that if you watched it now, not knowing when the show was made (90s), you'd think the writers were being annoyingly on-the-nose about linking it to Trump, like with the giant "EARTH FIRST!" banners, or the press officer who caught in a blatant lie explains that she's simply using "different facts."

Stormfront poses a tightrope for the writers to walk, but I think they've (so far) dodged the two obvious dangers: linking her feminism to Nazism (rather than having them independent), or making her racism "civil" and palatable, so that she retains likability.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I call it a twist because I thought the show would sandbag how disgusting and evil she was until at least at halfway

I mean, it's only 8 episodes. It almost did.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I’d say it’s a twist if you aren’t constantly F5ing this tread.

If you go in cold it’s gonna get you.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’d say it’s more of a rope-a-dope than a twist.

E: not calling anyone a dope in this thread, just using boxing terminology to describe SF’s dynamic both within the show and among her teammates.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 9, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

thrawn527 posted:

If you're not plugged into the comics books or terminally online then it's a pretty good reveal.

She's got lightning powers. Stormfront works as a weather related name scheme. It also works on that wonderful plausible deniability thing alt-reichers love to gently caress with. Up until then she just seemed like either really not into the whole "omg the 7" managed-PR thing, or really GenX FuckTheMan poo poo.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I kinda hope they kill Stormfront off relatively quickly because while she's putting in a great performance and it's a very hateable villain I don't particularly want to watch an entire season of some alt-right shitstain's murder spree.

At the very least we better get Vas out of this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't particularly want to watch an entire season of some alt-right shitstain's murder spree.

Yeah the POC that I know who watch this show REALLY do not want her to get any more screen time this season unless it's her getting the poo poo kicked out of her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I’m sure she’ll get her comeuppance but not before the end of the season.

The previews showed that the 59 becomes some kind of flashpoint so I kinda doubt there’ll be any more indiscriminate sprees.