Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Aschlafly posted:

I almost flipped out because my cloud save (1066 Ireland, currently Messalian Irish emperor of Britannia, date around 1300) got corrupted.

Protip: if you disable cloud saves in the Steam settings, you can copy the "last_save.ck3" file from your local directory and resume play, potentially having lost only a few years instead of your entire legacy.

Also, did the crusade timer get reduced? The Pope has declared a crusade for (Messalian) Danelaw (an early plot to marry a son off to a Danish claimant to England ended up with the Danes permanently renaming the country) four times in the last 80 years. Each time, the invaders get thrown back into the sea, but they invariably return within 20 years. For some reason my religion loses fervor when I repel a crusade, which is the opposite of how it worked in CK2, where a failed crusade would lead to heresies popping up all over the place because God does not favor the faithful.

Thank you for this, my game crashed recently and I couldn't load my autosave due to it corrupting. I would have been crushed to lose my Bohemia run I had been playing for 20 hours. Is this corrupting save file issue linked to the steam cloud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I could’ve gone with African Sorority Thunderdome now that I finished playing out the tutorial game to end date but...

The medium difficulty made me nervous so I’m going to go with one of my ancestral homelands. In this case, León.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Wow, smallpox is like a 'gently caress you, game over' button. Killed my ruler and my heir and left me in control of 1 year old. Ironically, the baby had smallpox FIRST and I intentionally left him to die, but he recovered. If he had just loving died, I'd have played my adult daughter and possibly salvaged the game.

The even worse 'gently caress you' is that moments before my uncles dismantled my realm, I hit the 500 gold I needed to form a kingdom (following my contribution in the crusade for Jerusalem) but it did NOT pop the achievement for acquiring a kingdom-tier title from a Haestein of Nantes. Do you have to literally be Haestein when acquiring it? I guess it doesn't say "Starting..." like other achievements. That's probably it.

Since I snagged the king title, the doublecrossing uncles who stole my titles are still my vassals. I suppose I could rule as a puppet king but not sure how I'd spin that around. Guaranteed one of my rivals gobbles up my divided lands soon anyhow. Stupid smallpox. Stupid uncles.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

amenbrotep posted:

is there any benefit from being on your king's council? i got a message saying he thought i was abhorrent but i'd make a good spymaster but i didn't seem to get any extra options, is it just a passive benefit to schemes against him?

Yeah, all the positions have a different passive benefit. I know that spymaster gives you +40 natural dread and steward gives an extra +3 gold per month.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When Count Loup of Boulogne inherited the county from his father, he used a hook to muscle his way into my council. At 21 intrigue he wanted the Spymaster job, and you know what? He could have it. A couple months later he found my half brother had a plot to kill me, and since the rest of my court hated me, he probably would have had plenty of help.

He died fairly early in his 30s, but was also notable for being my only vassal to not rebel against me to install my other brother as the duke. As soon as his son, Count Loop (the second) came of age, he got a position for life as Chancellor with 18 diplomacy. Proving his family line's worth again, when the rest of Flanders was in a faction to overthrow my then child character, Loop 2 stayed out of it. Sadly he got cut down short when he was off leading troops in one of his ally's wars somewhere. Loop 2's daughter is about to come of age, and while she's only a mediocre steward, she'll probably get the job. Maybe I'll try to arrange a matrilineal marriage with someone in the realm to keep their dynasty going.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Is there any way to get rid of coping traits

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The game is incredibly good at modelling what happens in a feudal society when a ruler has a stroke of bad luck and an army of rear end in a top hat relatives have a go

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, all the positions have a different passive benefit. I know that spymaster gives you +40 natural dread and steward gives an extra +3 gold per month.

Councillor gives you 2 prestige

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

Wow, smallpox is like a 'gently caress you, game over' button. Killed my ruler and my heir and left me in control of 1 year old. Ironically, the baby had smallpox FIRST and I intentionally left him to die, but he recovered. If he had just loving died, I'd have played my adult daughter and possibly salvaged the game.

The even worse 'gently caress you' is that moments before my uncles dismantled my realm, I hit the 500 gold I needed to form a kingdom (following my contribution in the crusade for Jerusalem) but it did NOT pop the achievement for acquiring a kingdom-tier title from a Haestein of Nantes. Do you have to literally be Haestein when acquiring it? I guess it doesn't say "Starting..." like other achievements. That's probably it.

Since I snagged the king title, the doublecrossing uncles who stole my titles are still my vassals. I suppose I could rule as a puppet king but not sure how I'd spin that around. Guaranteed one of my rivals gobbles up my divided lands soon anyhow. Stupid smallpox. Stupid uncles.

I just got the achievement it dosen't really take that long.
Immediately declare on brittany--->raid and plot against euges and Charles the Bald---> invade Ireland or Devon for a second duchy title---> raid until you got 500 gold---> get cheevo and in my case get murder by charles after getting it on with your new concubine one last time.
All in all not a bad life :v:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
You have enough extra troops that you have a lot of options for where to found your kingdom. I did a short game to grab the cheevo earlier and invaded north Africa to form a custom Kingdom of Tunis because why not.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I chomped Brittany immediately but didn't realize I was on a timer so I took my time conquering Cornwall. I need to read the descriptions better -- thought they all just were conditional on who you start as rather than who you are playing as.

Halt!
Oct 11, 2008

amenbrotep posted:

is there any benefit from being on your king's council? i got a message saying he thought i was abhorrent but i'd make a good spymaster but i didn't seem to get any extra options, is it just a passive benefit to schemes against him?

If you're his spymaster you'll get a massive bonus to schemes, so if you want him to have a horrible accident definitely do that. Not sure if there's any other bonus to being a councilor than that - the other ones I think its just the smaller passive benefit. Maybe some of the events you get are good too?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Mad Wack posted:

Yeah it sucks, also ironman gets slow as hell because of the constant autosaving so I am giving it a pass until the game gets some of those promised UI patches

if you turn off cloud saves it goes way faster.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah crusader states should definitely have some kind of flag that gives a significant penalty to the AI's desire to convert to the local religion. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of a crusade if you're just going to convert a year after winning it.

I feel like the only circumstance in which a character with a reformed religion should 'convert to local religion' is -maybe- if it's a heresy of the same religion. A muslim ruler should never use 'convert to local religion' to become, say, coptic, a catholic ruler never to sunni, etc. Religion should be pretty fixed outside of unusual circumstances.

Characters following an unreformed pagan religion should have a decent chance of converting to the local religion. If your tiny group of unreformed norse warriors conquer a huge swatch of densely populated christian territory, then you should probably wind up christian over time.

Converting reformed religion provinces to unreformed pagan religions should be difficult bordering on impossible. If you want to convert catholic england to asatru, better reform that poo poo first, buddy.

EDIT: religious conversion is too fast anyway, and I want pops in ck3, okay?!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Does modifying a feudal contract affect all subsequent rulers with the same title, or just the current title holder?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Communist Walrus posted:

Does modifying a feudal contract affect all subsequent rulers with the same title, or just the current title holder?

All future holders.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Another little bug - the modifiers for having a special warhorse, obtained by the chivalry focus, aren't being given properly. Don't know how these errors slip by in testing, it generally ends up being a simple coding thing. In this case, the place where the original modifier is supposed to be assigned was stuck inside of a "show_as_tooltip" block, so it didn't actually do anything. And so the later events that require it to be in place ALSO didn't do anything.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

Another little bug - the modifiers for having a special warhorse, obtained by the chivalry focus, aren't being given properly. Don't know how these errors slip by in testing, it generally ends up being a simple coding thing. In this case, the place where the original modifier is supposed to be assigned was stuck inside of a "show_as_tooltip" block, so it didn't actually do anything. And so the later events that require it to be in place ALSO didn't do anything.

could be the testers weren't super engaged with their work

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat what a last minute turnaround. After one of the greatest emperor's the Holy African Empire has ever known.

With about 100 years to go before the end of the game I took over as a drunk teenager who wasn't married matrilineally so her two kids were the wrong dynasty. so I was very close to a gameover for multiple years while i tried to sort that situation out. and her stats weren't much to look at apart from decent intrigue.
i had her murder her own kids... which made her lose stress since shes a sadist.

I juggle factions and rebellions for a few years and think she's definitely not gonna last cause she's also super unhealthy
she was extremely good at schemes and loves murder but hates bribing agents because she's also paranoid. when she's about 40 i realise holy poo poo i'm actuially close to unifying africa, which i had given up on a century or two ago.

so she decides to get into shape and lucks into athletic and herbalist and i pick up some health perks to keep this alcoholic freak alive long enough to unite the continent, with the final battle being a giant holy war against the french muslims to knock them out of morocco and then a showdown against the last remnant of the sorority thunderbowl 300 years earlier, maghreb.

she manages to keep herself from drinking herself to death for just long enough...

so the most evil empress becomes the one to unite the continent

and her heir is the dope smoking witch queen of egypt, that'll do nafissa

fake edit: also:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zohar posted:

You have enough extra troops that you have a lot of options for where to found your kingdom. I did a short game to grab the cheevo earlier and invaded north Africa to form a custom Kingdom of Tunis because why not.

Oh man that sounds good as hell dude.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

im ayyubid italy-poland

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

amenbrotep posted:

Yeah if you go to council, you can click Lieges council at the top to see the benefits youre getting. The benefits are really big, like 20% extra tax or 40% more levies, plus easier to scheme against the liege.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

strong bird posted:

im ayyubid italy-poland

the religous map is really fun, bori completely dominates the south half but everything else west of india is islam, with christianity fleeing north of constantinople to novgorod and co and is mainly split between orthodox, waldesian and lollard

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Ideal situation imo is having an equal religion but male or female preference succession law. Which, by the way, the 867 Daura start gets until you reform your faith.

Yeah but if you reform Bori and set Equal it sets your inheritance to equal, and you can't change it back because tribals apparently can't. You need high crown authority. Personally I liked Equal religion with female preference inheritance because it let my sons serve as knights.

I suppose the answer is to make a new Bori faith once I get high crown authority.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah if you go to council, you can click Lieges council at the top to see the benefits youre getting. The benefits are really big, like 20% extra tax or 40% more levies, plus easier to scheme against the liege.

o wow i didn't even notice was a tab, thanks everyone!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So the Pope has declared a Great Holy War, I'm supposed to send an army to like, Egypt or somewhere to fight. I even picked a Beneficiary. What can I expect to gain from this? Do I gain more from actually fighting, or should I just not send anybody at all?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
A friend finally rejoined the PC side of gaming. Our multiplayer CK2 games were always the best and somehow all the random/"random" stuff that makes me hate the game solo is a blast in multiplayer when everything falls apart.

There is one very important question, though: can I still plotstab his heirs if he sends them to me to be educated? Is stabbing even in the game anymore?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So the Pope has declared a Great Holy War, I'm supposed to send an army to like, Egypt or somewhere to fight. I even picked a Beneficiary. What can I expect to gain from this? Do I gain more from actually fighting, or should I just not send anybody at all?

You can win the kingdom for your beneficiary. But you have to do the most fighting or sieging to earn that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have to say so far my favorite crusade was against the lollards that ended up with my daughter being the queen of Italy. Much more likely to hang on to than something on the middle of Muslim territory

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So hey, in my Ireland game which I still haven't abandoned, I married a scottish countess. We became soulmates and have had half a dozen kids. But now I want to begin invading scotland because he has no allies and the king is in jail somewhere so I fabbed up some claims and went to war. I captured my wife's primary holding and... boys... we got her. I have captured the queen of ireland. My own wife.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah but if you reform Bori and set Equal it sets your inheritance to equal, and you can't change it back because tribals apparently can't. You need high crown authority. Personally I liked Equal religion with female preference inheritance because it let my sons serve as knights.

I think you just reiterated my post back at me haha.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ice Fist posted:

So hey, in my Ireland game which I still haven't abandoned, I married a scottish countess. We became soulmates and have had half a dozen kids. But now I want to begin invading scotland because he has no allies and the king is in jail somewhere so I fabbed up some claims and went to war. I captured my wife's primary holding and... boys... we got her. I have captured the queen of ireland. My own wife.

Putting the novelty fuzzy handcuffs to good use I see

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mailer posted:

A friend finally rejoined the PC side of gaming. Our multiplayer CK2 games were always the best and somehow all the random/"random" stuff that makes me hate the game solo is a blast in multiplayer when everything falls apart.

There is one very important question, though: can I still plotstab his heirs if he sends them to me to be educated? Is stabbing even in the game anymore?

The random stuff when playing solo is made better when you share it with other people, like this thread!

Also you can execute anyone in your prison but outside of it you have to scheme to murder them unless you get a chance to shoot them during a hunt or whatever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PSA: I have seen a few posts about war targets having mysteriously much more troops than they should, which happened to me today. However, after thinking hard I realized that my war target (a baby) was a new ruler and her levies were already raised from an ongoing war her predecessor was in. Because the pred was a grown rear end old man, he had almost 10 times the troops of the baby.

Unlike CK2, this is not displayed anywhere in game that I can tell, except if you can see their main army. Be careful if you are jumping on a seemingly weak target, because Alfred the Great might be consigned to the dustbin of history by a baby. :qq:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I am really starting to despair about the tech progression system. Even if I spec all my successors into maximum learning, Innovations look like they're going to take decades to get, meaning I'll be barely clearly the second age before the game ends...

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I am really starting to despair about the tech progression system. Even if I spec all my successors into maximum learning, Innovations look like they're going to take decades to get, meaning I'll be barely clearly the second age before the game ends...

I don't think it's that bad. I don't know your exact circumstances, but even when I started in low-development 1066 Ireland I was able to finish all innovations decades before the game actually ended. Just keep in mind the numbers change over time due to counties becoming more developed and exposure ticking in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did it, my plan worked. I reformed the Kushite religion with my kingdom of Nubia. I replaced the suicide with Christian Syncretism, made the gender laws equal and created a spiritual Head of Faith. The rest felt good enough.

Now to grab the remaining three Holy Sites for all the bonuses.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

sdr782 posted:

Thank you for this, my game crashed recently and I couldn't load my autosave due to it corrupting. I would have been crushed to lose my Bohemia run I had been playing for 20 hours. Is this corrupting save file issue linked to the steam cloud?

It looks like other cloud platforms are having the same problem.

however

The effect of the workaround is that the last_save.ck3 file you've just copied to your save directory will not update correctly. I don't know why, but I lost about fifty years of play due to this. So after you play that particular game, make sure to recopy the last_save.ck3 file that was created in your home directory.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Is there a SA discord where folks in this thread hang out?

My first time playing Crusader Kings. I bought 2 on steam sale but could never muster the wherewithal to learn all the mechanics. CK3 is pretty drat complicated for me, but I'm really enjoying it so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

How are u posted:

Is there a SA discord where folks in this thread hang out?

My first time playing Crusader Kings. I bought 2 on steam sale but could never muster the wherewithal to learn all the mechanics. CK3 is pretty drat complicated for me, but I'm really enjoying it so far!

https://discord.gg/QFWhta

General Grand Strategy Goon Discord. Link should be good for a day or so.