Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Starks posted:

Lol wait what part of Japan is Kimiko from that they have AK wielding terrorists

I thought they were kidnapped from Japan at a young age like those people who got disappeared to North Korea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese_citizens#List_of_victims

For a long time this was a conspiracy theory until North Korea issued an apology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Their parents were killed and they were abducted and forced to fight as children, Kimiko reveals this through Mesmer in season 1.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Look in the mirror, BurritoJustice.

I'm a bogan Australian that has also been watching the boys, my use of the world is a lot more casual and general than it comes across. I see how it seems aggressive and even misogynistic in context, that was unintended and I apologise

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Their parents were killed and they were abducted and forced to fight as children, Kimiko reveals this through Mesmer in season 1.

Word. I remember that but I assumed that was all in SE Asia like others did. She wakes up on a tropical island sleeping under a bug net. Maybe it was Okinawa or they were on vacation or something

Edit or the writers just didn’t care and tbh neither do I , I just thought it was funny

Starks fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 10, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

My NoPrize is they're Ainu and the Liberation Front is a SE Asian group that reaches through Asia and recruits/abducts kids and teens to be radicalized child soldiers who then get sent back to home nations to build Liberation cells.

She doesn't look ainu at all, and the ainu live in the very northernmost island of japan touching Russia. Why would a group in southeast asia travel all the wall to hokkaido to get recruits.

Are you thinking of the ryukyu islands?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Jack Quaid looks so much like his mom Meg Ryan that its kind of weird

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Eat This Glob posted:

the character has done blatantly racist poo poo (murdering a building full of black people) and said racial epithets at a japanese charachter while breaking his poo poo. why the gently caress would you think "lena dunham" about a supe named "stormfront"? :psyduck:

Between here and Twitter (mostly Twitter), the amount of people not able to connect the world's easiest dots is kind of disappointing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Eat This Glob posted:

the character has done blatantly racist poo poo (murdering a building full of black people) and said racial epithets at a japanese charachter while breaking his poo poo. why the gently caress would you think "lena dunham" about a supe named "stormfront"? :psyduck:

Dunham was probably a bad choice as an example due to her being such a lightning rod for the chuds. My point was simply there's a slot more flavors of racist shitbag than Nazi/Alt Right, one of which being the internet savvy kind that couches it's rhetoric behind more palatable messaging. Kind of like the way TERFs hide their transphobia.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://twitter.com/JackQuaid92/status/1161437476273172486?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sammus posted:

Other than Homelander's kid, do any other supe kids have powers? Or is Homelander the only one who'd been able to pass down his Compound V altered genes in a way that they manifest?

There's a certain baby I know for sure is

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Well Hughie does constantly have the same eyebrow furrow that Bill Hader has at the end of this scene:

https://youtu.be/qw62N4v8Cwo

(I think about Bill Hader’s reaction face here more than I care to admit)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sensible chuckle.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Well Hughie does constantly have the same eyebrow furrow that Bill Hader has at the end of this scene:

This show is so good too.

I can’t wait for more Barry Bari

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 10, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Man Barry is so good lol.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FilthyImp posted:

They haven't really gone over this poo poo so maaaaaaybe there's something that inhibits Compound V from being passed down through children?

My theory is that there isn't quite enough inheritable Compound V getting passed down that they reach whatever critical mass makes a supe without an external dose in utero like normal. Homelander is the exception, since he's clearly on a level above most other supes, so he has enough in him to kick-start superpowers without any extra help.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I do keep seeing actors in another stuff and going “is that they guy from the boys? Oh wait no”. He has the most generic white guy face ever.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Not gonna lie, i was expecting the fresca to be a kool aid reference or a hypnotic trigguer."do you want a fresca" and then the Deep goes and unintentionaly murders more sea life.
Having someone has dumb and shallow as him reject the cult bullshit outright is funny too.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not having read the comic i assumed by the end of season 1 that Deep`s arch was going to be him rejecting human society, stripping buck naked, and diving into the sea to live as a fish full time only to be dragged back into the action by some dumb accident.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So I have no idea where they're going with The Deep's arc. I assume whoever is heading up that cult is who lead him to where Butcher's boat was?

Come to think of it, how did The Seven know where the "super terrorist" was? I feel like I missed a scene, but I might have legit missed a line explaining something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

So I have no idea where they're going with The Deep's arc. I assume whoever is heading up that cult is who lead him to where Butcher's boat was?

Come to think of it, how did The Seven know where the "super terrorist" was? I feel like I missed a scene, but I might have legit missed a line explaining something.

He was on the NYPD camera feed. That lead all of them to the boat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MarcusSA posted:

He was on the NYPD camera feed. That lead all of them to the boat.

Ahhh, okay, yup, I missed that. That's on me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, there is a scene where the cult lady tells Deep that one of their sources learned the location of the boat and this is how chance to get back into the good graces of the 7.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yes, there is a scene where the cult lady tells Deep that one of their sources learned the location of the boat and this is how chance to get back into the good graces of the 7.

I remember the scene about the cult lady saying that this was how he'd get back into the good graces of the 7, I just missed the line about their sources learning the location of the boat. I need to stop multitasking while watching this show.

Thanks!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I must have missed that line too. And I didn't put 2 & 2 together with the sharks - I thought they were torpedos. :lol: gently caress.

Also, the new Homelander kid doesn't look anything like him unlike the first. And seems kinda dopey.

A shame they couldn't get him back. Maybe he grew up too much. I remembered him getting the eye glowies in S1 but I was like, maybe he didn't inherit all the powers and he really killed him which would have been kinda funny. Homelander is such a prick ... but gently caress he sells the dark humour really well. Antony Starr is a loving beast.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Calling it now, Kimiko will speak while killing Stormfront.

I honestly didn't pick up that she was mute, I just assumed she was unable to speak English despite understanding a little until she started signing to her brother. He mentioned that she stopped speaking when their parents were murdered due to the trauma, so I'm expecting her to break that when she gets revenge for his death. With the look she was giving at the end of the episode I was really expecting her to say something right then.

It's also sort of a sad irony that her brother died trying to rescue her. Without knowing the limits of her abilities it's entirely plausible that Stormfront could have snapped her neck and left her for dead only for her to regenerate. She is basically the Wolverine character of the show and Black Noir gutted her something good last time with no longterm results.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I must have missed that line too. And I didn't put 2 & 2 together with the sharks - I thought they were torpedos. :lol: gently caress.

Also, the new Homelander kid doesn't look anything like him unlike the first. And seems kinda dopey.

A shame they couldn't get him back. Maybe he grew up too much. I remembered him getting the eye glowies in S1 but I was like, maybe he didn't inherit all the powers and he really killed him which would have been kinda funny. Homelander is such a prick ... but gently caress he sells the dark humour really well. Antony Starr is a loving beast.

why you gotta roast this child

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
second kid looks way more shovable

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Starks posted:

Homelander is an American Supremacist and he absolutely has an ideology. See: the opening scene of the season

Edit: or his reaction to his son learning Spanish lol

Yeah you can see in the breakfast scene that the Spanish sets Homelander off and provokes him to take the kid outside to try and indoctrinate him into Homelander's idea of what he should be becoming. That it backfires is no surprise at all.

I think kid Homelander is a fine performer? The bar is low for kid actors but it's believeable that this kid is confused about the situation, nervous, distrustful of his "dad", and also when he gets pissed off you can see exactly how similar it is to when Homelander lashes out - the kid just doesn't have the fine tuned emotional control yet.

Starks posted:

Lol wait what part of Japan is Kimiko from that they have AK wielding terrorists

It could be that her parents were Japanese people working in [insert SE Asian nation here], or one parent was Japanese and the other one wasn't, etc. Lots of explanations for the idea that they could try to find their Japanese grandparents. It's pretty obvious that their parents got killed by the Shining Light Army or whatever it's called when they were abducted though.

Wild T posted:

Calling it now, Kimiko will speak while killing Stormfront.

I honestly didn't pick up that she was mute, I just assumed she was unable to speak English despite understanding a little until she started signing to her brother. He mentioned that she stopped speaking when their parents were murdered due to the trauma, so I'm expecting her to break that when she gets revenge for his death. With the look she was giving at the end of the episode I was really expecting her to say something right then.

It's also sort of a sad irony that her brother died trying to rescue her. Without knowing the limits of her abilities it's entirely plausible that Stormfront could have snapped her neck and left her for dead only for her to regenerate. She is basically the Wolverine character of the show and Black Noir gutted her something good last time with no longterm results.

Oh most definitely.

Also that last part is probably what Kimiko was going for - take the hit and then get back up once the coast was clear (although with Homelander and the other 7 on the scene that could have very well ended in her getting taken by Vought since BN at least would know that he's killed her before and therefore she probably has powers). But her brother didn't know that and did the logical thing. Poor guy just never had a chance though, despite his ability to get the drop on Homelander.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
It's not like Japanese people never leave their home country or that only 100% ethnic Japanese folks have Japanese names. One of my troops is a blonde haired, blue-eyed kid from the Midwest whose middle name is Kiyoko after her Japanese grandmother.

And it is kind of telling that Homelander's son would manifest his powers out of anger and lack of emotional control, since that's pretty much when his father mostly uses them, too. The main difference being he actually has a mother that he cares about unlike Homelander's Mommy Dearest fixation on Stillwater.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I propose that the kid be named Homeboy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also don’t buy that Homelanders son is kept on a secret Vought compound, isolated from everyone, and not being absolutely pumped full of Compound V through his breakfast cereal every morning.

Nazi scientist CHUDs are always looking ahead, the writing is on the wall and they are gonna detonate the bomb they put in Homelander’s brain the literal second they think his son can take over.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it really feels like Gus Freng has some power over the Supes that he hasn't revealed yet because in any other world I would be slightly scared of the dude that lasers everything he gets mad at

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Stillwater in the comics didn't really have an ace in the sleeve and he was still ice cold.

well i mean he did, it just sucked and blew up in his face. still didn't make him sweat, which is sort of the point of Ennis' take on corporate overlords.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah it really feels like Gus Freng has some power over the Supes that he hasn't revealed yet because in any other world I would be slightly scared of the dude that lasers everything he gets mad at
It's because he knows the 7 are so tied into marketing and poo poo that actually doing anything would leave them bereft of that celebrity status.

He's got the equivalent of a diva actor threatening to walk if they don't get script rewrites.

How's Homelander going to react to being painted as an insane supervillain supe terrorist who lasered the kindly old person of color at the head of the Vought family? How's he going to cope to a full-body media press not sucking his rear end in a top hat 24/7.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

At the climax of the last episode I was fairly surprised when Butcher let the one piece of leverage he had to get to Becca get away in order to save Hughie. I get that it's supposed to show character growth, but having it happen literal minutes after he was ready to do the exact opposite. Not to mention his first decision didn't make sense for a career spy like Butcher since leaving an intel asset like Hughie to get captured and tortured by the Seven would be suicide. Shooting Hughie in the face would be a smarter move and it's not like Butcher would be above doing it.

Edit:

FilthyImp posted:

It's because he knows the 7 are so tied into marketing and poo poo that actually doing anything would leave them bereft of that celebrity status.

He's got the equivalent of a diva actor threatening to walk if they don't get script rewrites.

How's Homelander going to react to being painted as an insane supervillain supe terrorist who lasered the kindly old person of color at the head of the Vought family? How's he going to cope to a full-body media press not sucking his rear end in a top hat 24/7.

It's like Walt Disney feeling threatened by Mickey Mouse. Vought made literally everything that is Homelander. His powers, his name, his entire image and every place he's ever lived. There's a reason that he's never seen wearing civilian clothes - his entire identity is tied to his superhero image that Vought manufactured. His threat to go elsewhere is hollow because without Vought he loses everything, including his identity.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 10, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's funny how he mentioned 'his contract being up' at the end of the year, as though Voight would willingly let Homelander be some kind of mercenary Free Agent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

second kid looks way more shovable

Haha, yeah they may have recast him because they decided what they wanted to do with the character and they needed a goober.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Panfilo posted:

It's funny how he mentioned 'his contract being up' at the end of the year, as though Voight would willingly let Homelander be some kind of mercenary Free Agent.
That illusion of free will probably helps pacify them. "Well they drove a hard bargain, but congrats Deep, they agreed to 3 new movies and a crossover with Wendy's". Then again, you have Mesmer and others just trying to get by.

But it makes me wonder if there's just binders full of opposition research if they go off. Like a whole marketing thing to relabel Homelander as Public Enemy or The Anti-American.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I guess at the time of that scene the Compound V cat wasn't out of the bag but it's not like they could STOP him. He also isn't supposed to know about his son or be messing with Becca but he is anyways

Aren't there rival corporation super-teams in the comics

edit: the only thing keeping him at Vought are his dependency issues, which are admittedly massive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FilthyImp posted:

That illusion of free will probably helps pacify them. "Well they drove a hard bargain, but congrats Deep, they agreed to 3 new movies and a crossover with Wendy's". Then again, you have Mesmer and others just trying to get by.

But it makes me wonder if there's just binders full of opposition research if they go off. Like a whole marketing thing to relabel Homelander as Public Enemy or The Anti-American.

Thing is, what's to stop Homelander from declaring himself king of the world at this point? Has the show presented anyone who is on his level? Maybe they're going there with Stormfront. But other than that, the show has been pretty clear about Homelander being, "What if Superman was a sociopath?" If Vaught were to declare Homelander as Public Enemy Number One...then what? Sure his money runs out and his current brand of celebrity runs dry, which I guess he loves and is probably what keeps him in line. But if they push him too hard and he just decides to take whatever the gently caress he wants (in which case, who gives a poo poo about money?), do they have anything they can do to stop him?