Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

aware of dog posted:

Is The Ice Cream Man worth watching? How does it compare to Clint Howard’s other performances?

If you like Clint Howard being weird and chewing scenery then you'll like The Ice Cream man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

In terms of evidence, you're right the only significant evidence that people ever point to is the Patterson film. Most of the tracks have been exposed as hoaxes, or they're just not convincing to begin with.

The myth itself traces much further back, before the name Bigfoot existed. Native Americans had various names for it, and then of course if you want to bring in very similar myths from other areas of the world you can find plenty of them. So I think that even without the Patterson film Sasquatch/Bigfoot would've been a long-lasting, prominent American myth.

That’s sort-of true, except there’s a big difference between a belief in werewolves and a belief in werewolves as objects of scientific inquiry. You’d have stories of manimalistic nature-spirits, going back however many thousands of years, but 1958 is where you get this conviction that it’s definitely an ape that’s leaving footprints, and here’s a fecal sample and a copy of his photo ID.... It’s the same as the difference between a belief in god(s) and a far more recent belief in ancient aliens (which can be specifically traced back to HP Lovecraft).

The 1958 Ray Wallace hoax itself didn’t appear from nowhere either; his innovation was in transplanting the (then decades-old) phenomenon of ‘Yeti footprints’ to the United States (which was itself based on the lasting hype around the 1902 discovery of mountain gorillas). Patterson’s sensationalist Bigfoot book, written a couple years before he filmed ‘Patty’, refers to Bigfoot as an “Abominable Snowman of America.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s sort-of true, except there’s a big difference between a belief in werewolves and a belief in werewolves as objects of scientific inquiry. You’d have stories of manimalistic nature-spirits, going back however many thousands of years, but 1958 is where you get this conviction that it’s definitely an ape that’s leaving footprints, and here’s a fecal sample and a copy of his photo ID.... It’s the same as the difference between a belief in god(s) and a far more recent belief in ancient aliens (which can be specifically traced back to HP Lovecraft).

The 1958 Ray Wallace hoax itself didn’t appear from nowhere either; his innovation was in transplanting the (then decades-old) phenomenon of ‘Yeti footprints’ to the United States (which was itself based on the lasting hype around the 1902 discovery of mountain gorillas). Patterson’s sensationalist Bigfoot book, written a couple years before he filmed ‘Patty’, refers to Bigfoot as an “Abominable Snowman of America.”

It's mostly white morons who don't understand the cultures recounting myths or stories with religious significance thinking that they must literally describe something physical and real because that was how people found orangutans after all. Actually, that's pretty much the entire field of cryptozoology. And also a lot of ancient aliens poo poo too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Werewolves are real though

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Werewolves are real though

Yeah, I'm real as hell.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

You're not a real horror fan until you've fully digested Tor Johnson's oeuvre.

Beast of Yucca Flats is quite possibly the worst film ever made

Basebf555 posted:

In terms of evidence, you're right the only significant evidence that people ever point to is the Patterson film. Most of the tracks have been exposed as hoaxes, or they're just not convincing to begin with.

The myth itself traces much further back, before the name Bigfoot existed. Native Americans had various names for it, and then of course if you want to bring in very similar myths from other areas of the world you can find plenty of them. So I think that even without the Patterson film Sasquatch/Bigfoot would've been a long-lasting, prominent American myth.

Personally I feel there has to be something real behind Sasquatch, if mostly because legends of big hairy(and often very smelly) ape men are way too common on a global scale for it to just be something completely made up, whether anything of that sort still actually exists is of course a whole nother kettle of fish

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Beast of Yucca Flats is quite possibly the worst film ever made

I think you mean "the most quotable film ever made."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think you mean "the most quotable film ever made."

I stand by what I said, even the MST3K version is hard to watch

In the category of "big ugly guy goes around strangling people" movies I'd much rather rewatch The Brute Man(which is also the superior episode of MST3K, partially because Chicken of Tomorrow is the funniest short that show ever did)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I stand by what I said, even the MST3K version is hard to watch

In the category of "big ugly guy goes around strangling people" movies I'd much rather rewatch The Brute Man(which is also the superior episode of MST3K, partially because Chicken of Tomorrow is the funniest short that show ever did)

Boys from the city, not yet caught by the whirlwind of progress. Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs.

That's been burned into my memory for at least 25 years now. I will concede that it may be a terrible movie also, but every line is extremely memorable, probably because it is almost entirely sentence fragments.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I'm real as hell.

Real talk I can't look at your avatar without immediately hearing the associated MST3K riff in my head

"An American Werewolf in... traffic."

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Hollismason posted:

If you like Clint Howard being weird and chewing scenery then you'll like The Ice Cream man.

Aw hell yeah

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Say fellas, what exactly is a spook-a-doodle?

When a knife stabs your eye
and you're going to die
spook-a-doodle
When a big slimy ghoul
jumps out of a pool
spook-a-doodle
Flesh will crawl biggy-biggy-bawl, biggy-biggy-bawl
And you'll scream "AAAAHHHHH!"
Blades will flay tippy-tippy-tay, tippy-tippy-tay
Like a giant tarantula

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm your ice cream man...be-be-be-be-be-be-be-baby ah my, my, my...all my flavors are guaranteed to satis-uh-fy....Ow!!!!!!!

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

FreudianSlippers posted:

When a knife stabs your eye
and you're going to die
spook-a-doodle
When a big slimy ghoul
jumps out of a pool
spook-a-doodle
Flesh will crawl biggy-biggy-bawl, biggy-biggy-bawl
And you'll scream "AAAAHHHHH!"
Blades will flay tippy-tippy-tay, tippy-tippy-tay
Like a giant tarantula

I love you, this is wonderful.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Germane to the Universal Monsters talk, recently somebody asked me about which ones are worth watching, and I gave them (among other things) the list of the “shared universe” movies that tie together, leading up to the monster rally movies of the late 40s.

https://benito-cereno.tumblr.com/post/626827988751859712/which-universal-monster-movies-are-still-worth

So if you just want to see those—which are NOT always the best, and does not include any Invisible Man, Mummy, or Gillman stuff—here’s that list:

Dracula
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Daughter of Dracula
Son of Frankenstein
Return of the Vampire (not Universal, but an unofficial Dracula sequel)
The Wolf Man
Ghost of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

(Return of the Vampire is optional and you could theoretically watch Son of Dracula, but I loving hate Son of Dracula. And Return of the Vampire rules.)

If you just want to watch, like, the best Universal stuff, just watch Bride of Frankenstein, The Old Dark House, and The Black Cat (1934).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Over in the Franchise Tournament thread we dubbed those movies (aside from Return of the Vampire) "The Saga of Larry Talbot".

If you squint you can connect Invisible Man and Invisible Man Returns to the Vincent Price cameo at the end of Abbott and Costello.

Also I recently discovered that Bully the Kid vs Dracula could sorta connect. But don't watch that. Its bad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuwDfbJF-MY

October 9th. Perfect.

Now release the Green Knight you cowards!

Aw come on, theaters only?

It's like the producers WANT me to steal these movies!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The holy trifecta of Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter, Billy the Kid Versus Dracula, and Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there room for KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park or is that too far gone?

E: Crap, I always thought Universal had a hand in that but no.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
All Hallow's Eve? Sucked. Gonna skip the sequels.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Thanks to the thread for the heads up on What Keeps You Alive, that definitely would not have been on my radar otherwise and the Netflix thumbnail wasn’t doing it any favors (I thought it was about two teens in the woods). I didn’t realize that Colin Minihan was one of the Vicious Brothers, I was wondering what those dudes had been up to.

I guess I thought they were another casualty of that whole V/H/S generation that seemed like they were going to be the next big thing before either fading into the ether or transitioning to tv

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Benito Cereno posted:

Germane to the Universal Monsters talk, recently somebody asked me about which ones are worth watching, and I gave them (among other things) the list of the “shared universe” movies that tie together, leading up to the monster rally movies of the late 40s.

https://benito-cereno.tumblr.com/post/626827988751859712/which-universal-monster-movies-are-still-worth

Bookmarked this for Spooktober, thanks!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: ??? vs ??? TONIGHT, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

Starting around 2000 EST

I wont be able to stream again until Monday, so we're doing this live

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I feel there has to be something real behind Sasquatch, if mostly because legends of big hairy(and often very smelly) ape men are way too common on a global scale for it to just be something completely made up

While that’s not wrong, it misses that we already have smelly apes wandering around everywhere, called humans.

When you look at enough alleged Bigfoot videos - which are now extremely easy to track down compared to pre-Internet times - you get a fairly even mix of people in dark clothing shot from a distance, shapes created by tree stumps and branches, and undisguised monkey suits.

The former two types of video are the ones posted by the true believers, and it becomes quickly apparent that they literally use “Bigfoot” as a term for any dark and human-ish shape. So a collection of branches will be a Bigfoot from one angle and a bush from another, with the conclusion being that the Bigfoot (human shape) simply turned into a bush (plant shape). Like, showing that Bigfoot is just an image won’t dissuade folks because Bigfoot is effectively believed to be an animal made out of images.

So, yeah, it’s not completely made up. There are shapes, sounds, and smells out in the woods - and Bigfoot is the name for the ones you can’t immediately identify.

Blair Witch 3: The Woods is consequently one of the best Bigfoot movies, because the witch literally has arms made of sticks, her voice is made up of fox cries, etc. Then, occasionally, these objects briefly align.... The point of the official alternate title is that the antagonist literally is just the woods - in the same way that the Final Destinations are best read as a series of random accidents that the characters simply interpret as the work of an invisible puppeteer.

(On the flipside, it’s honestly kind of surprising how inept the Bigfoot hoaxes tend to be, since Patterson proved that you just need to light a suit decently and ensure there are no visible shoes. It’s weirdly common to forget the shoes, or to release multiple different takes of the same video, or for the video’s backstory to make no fuckin sense whatsoever.)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bigfoot is real and we made out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

While that’s not wrong, it misses that we already have smelly apes wandering around everywhere, called humans.

When you look at enough alleged Bigfoot videos - which are now extremely easy to track down compared to pre-Internet times - you get a fairly even mix of people in dark clothing shot from a distance, shapes created by tree stumps and branches, and undisguised monkey suits.

The former two types of video are the ones posted by the true believers, and it becomes quickly apparent that they literally use “Bigfoot” as a term for any dark and human-ish shape. So a collection of branches will be a Bigfoot from one angle and a bush from another, with the conclusion being that the Bigfoot (human shape) simply turned into a bush (plant shape). Like, showing that Bigfoot is just an image won’t dissuade folks because Bigfoot is effectively believed to be an animal made out of images.

So, yeah, it’s not completely made up. There are shapes, sounds, and smells out in the woods - and Bigfoot is the name for the ones you can’t immediately identify.

Blair Witch 3: The Woods is consequently one of the best Bigfoot movies, because the witch literally has arms made of sticks, her voice is made up of fox cries, etc. Then, occasionally, these objects briefly align.... The point of the official alternate title is that the antagonist literally is just the woods - in the same way that the Final Destinations are best read as a series of random accidents that the characters simply interpret as the work of an invisible puppeteer.

(On the flipside, it’s honestly kind of surprising how inept the Bigfoot hoaxes tend to be, since Patterson proved that you just need to light a suit decently and ensure there are no visible shoes. It’s weirdly common to forget the shoes, or to release multiple different takes of the same video, or for the video’s backstory to make no fuckin sense whatsoever.)

Well I'm leaning more towards the idea that there used to be some big hairy ape men roaming the wilds of the world that inspired various legends but they probably went extinct centuries or millennia ago

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

Bigfoot is real and we made out

Was he a good kisser?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yah

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Huh, I didn't know Netflix made a sequel to The Babysitter. Guess I know what I'm watching tonight!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just watched The Final Showing last night and I didn't really like it. I loved the concept but the characters choices and how easily deceived they were really took me out of the movie. I have a pretty big suspension of disbelief for horror characters making stupid decisions but this one felt like a personal attack, like the movie creators though I was so dumb I'd just buy it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

Huh, I didn't know Netflix made a sequel to The Babysitter. Guess I know what I'm watching tonight!

I knew they were making this but I had no idea it was already out. It looks pretty fun, but I'm gonna save it for October.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Real Bigfoot Energy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I feel there has to be something real behind Sasquatch, if mostly because legends of big hairy(and often very smelly) ape men are way too common on a global scale for it to just be something completely made up, whether anything of that sort still actually exists is of course a whole nother kettle of fish
Well yeah, we evolved from Neanderthals and other "archaic humans," and they continued living alongside us until they died out. Since then there have always been legends of some more primal and bestial race living just beyond the areas we've cleared and cultivated.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
After reviewing my list from last years October Challenge, I see that I only watched 2 Hammer films. I had a feeling that was the case because as October approaches I was starting to feel that Hammer itch and it's now been almost 2 years since I've watched some of these great movies.

Anyway, are there some deeper cuts that I should make time for? I've seen all of the Frankenstein and Dracula sequels(although I'll be rewatching a bunch of them).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

After reviewing my list from last years October Challenge, I see that I only watched 2 Hammer films. I had a feeling that was the case because as October approaches I was starting to feel that Hammer itch and it's now been almost 2 years since I've watched some of these great movies.

Anyway, are there some deeper cuts that I should make time for? I've seen all of the Frankenstein and Dracula sequels(although I'll be rewatching a bunch of them).

I like their Mummy movies.

The Mummy is basically just Hammer's (better) version of Universal's The Mummy. The Curse of The Mummy's Tomb is my favorite of the bunch, and The Mummy's Shroud is fun. Blood from the Mummy's Tomb isn't really a mummy movie, it's a curse movie (inspired by a Bram Stoker novella), but Valerie Leon is striking as the lead, and it weirdly has some influence on Evil Dead 2.

When I'm in the mood for a Hammer, I refer to this list curated by our very own Uncle Boogeyman that our very own MacheteZombie compiled on Letterboxd. Maybe there's something on there you haven't seen?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

For non-Dracula and Frankenstein Hammer movies that I've seen I'd recommend The Devil Rides Out, Quatermass and The Pit, and The Gorgon. It's been a long time since I've seen The Gorgon but I remember liking it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, The Devil Rides Out is really cool. I watched it last October.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Argue posted:

Just finished! I enjoyed it, but it did have some weirdness that was a bit awkward for me. I don't remember how the first film was shot but I don't recall it being so... I don't have the word for it, but it has moments reminiscent to me of Scott Pilgrim or Detention--both movies that I like but which I don't really remember as being tonally in line with the previous film; in this one those parts just made me cringe.

That said, it was a lot of fun; it had goofy deaths and a surprising amount of heart, which is enough for me to really enjoy most films.

I saw one plot point coming, but I was way off on another. I thought that the new girl was the final girl from her own run in with the cult (or possibly even a completely different horror story) in an offscreen adventure, but that part did play out more typically than I expected.

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 10, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm considering buying Devil Rides Out on blu ray before October because I did technically see it but I watched it on a laptop screen.

Franchescanado posted:

I like their Mummy movies.

The Mummy is basically just Hammer's (better) version of Universal's The Mummy. The Curse of The Mummy's Tomb is my favorite of the bunch, and The Mummy's Shroud is fun. Blood from the Mummy's Tomb isn't really a mummy movie, it's a curse movie (inspired by a Bram Stoker novella), but Valerie Leon is striking as the lead, and it weirdly has some influence on Evil Dead 2.

When I'm in the mood for a Hammer, I refer to this list curated by our very own Uncle Boogeyman that our very own MacheteZombie compiled on Letterboxd. Maybe there's something on there you haven't seen?

Yea I need to delve into the Mummy sequels a bit more, I'll definitely make sure to watch Curse of the Mummy's Tomb at least.

Any opinions on Scream of Fear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Any opinions on Scream of Fear?

I really like it, it's definitely a Psycho imitator though. I actually have a framed poster for it on the wall in my movie room.