Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I learned pretty early to not let heirs or important councillors to be knights. They have a life expectancy of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TorakFade posted:

also sometimes it's just funny to abduct the wife of a ruler that pissed you off, seduce her and send her back to the hubbie with your son growing in her belly.

My son's wife had three kids, two of which I got the popup that she'd actually been banging some bucktoothed clown and one who immediately died to sickness. I noticed later there's a disinherit option, but despite the big reveal all three kids were listed as my bloodline. Parents were there like the adultery had never taken place. Is this one of those things you have to catch and immediately boot the new kid?

Status of initial Ireland tutorial game: I generated a truly dumb amount of hooks but never got a chance to use them. It took me way too long to remember the fabricate claim button was on the other guy now. What I probably should have done is hook and murder the hell out of Scotland and England until they fall apart from succession and leave Ireland alone. Lost when I finally tried to push forward and had long since forgotten about the defensive troop boost that made a tiny county suddenly way bigger than me. Maybe he was rich as hell somehow and hired literally all the mercs.

Also jesus I didn't note originally that primo is gated by some cultural research thing AND 140+ years. The mogols are going to take over the world.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I've been playing Volga Bolghars. I decided that their house motto could do with some improvement.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Mailer posted:

My son's wife had three kids, two of which I got the popup that she'd actually been banging some bucktoothed clown and one who immediately died to sickness. I noticed later there's a disinherit option, but despite the big reveal all three kids were listed as my bloodline. Parents were there like the adultery had never taken place. Is this one of those things you have to catch and immediately boot the new kid?
Pretty sure people can just make poo poo up about banging your wife so they can muddy the water around whether your kid is actually yours and give you opinion modifiers. My son had all the same hosed congenital traits I had and there was still a secret that he was the product of some Adonis and my wife.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 10, 2020

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I learned pretty early to not let heirs or important councillors to be knights. They have a life expectancy of months.

That's the thing, they weren't even old enough to be Knights.

They just got captured during the siege and that uppity lowborn prick immediately offed'em. :argh:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Is it worth increasing control on your vassals' counties?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure people can just make poo poo up about banging your wife so they can muddy the water around whether your kid is actually yours and give you opinion modifiers. My son had all the same hosed congenital traits I had and there was still a secret that he was the product of some Adonis and my wife.

Somoene mentioned before that the game will edit relationships like that in response to a successful generate secrets plot.

He probably was your son but somone's plot worked or a random event fired and now he isn't!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He inherited fine, so I guess it doesn't always actually edit it? Maybe it is a bug. Pretty powerful/annoying if you can just ruin a dynasty with a single scheme. Way more powerful than murder.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Weembles posted:

Somoene mentioned before that the game will edit relationships like that in response to a successful generate secrets plot.

He probably was your son but somone's plot worked or a random event fired and now he isn't!

It was really weird when my children ended up becoming bastards when i'm playing the Duchess of Tuscany. I like to think i'd know.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Died from unknown causes is such a troll. Just had my super healthy 40 year old King drop dead, losing me Wales AGAIN because my solo heir is a babby. Probably gonna see him get infanticided by ambitious uncles.

Oh, and at 8 years old he went gay for his 7 year old cousin, so I got that going for me.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

"My wife is pregnant, but I was away wasn't I? Doubt besets me." My CK2 character, a eunuch.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Panzeh posted:

It was really weird when my children ended up becoming bastards when i'm playing the Duchess of Tuscany. I like to think i'd know.

Yeah the disputed heritage event really needs to be given some hard counters.

You want to call me or my wife a whore? Fine - you can do that all you want in my dungeon - and so can anyone else that dares mutter a drat word about it.

I've wiped out entire dynasties through intrigue plots - but I can't squash some fabricated rumors about my daughter that I gave birth to?

Also - wiping out an entire dynasty is actually not that hard thanks to stress and being able to run 2 plots at once. Kidnap as many children as you can, fill your dungeon with them, then execute them all at once. The stress spike across the dynasty will lead to a chain reaction of suicides and kidnapping kids is super easy.

So yeah, here I am with a dungeon full of kids and a giant pile of children's heads that I chopped off, but my idiot vassal wants to make up rumors about my daughter? Yeah ok - you got any kids bud cause I'm about to free up some cells just for them....

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
How can I go about trying to get a hook on somebody useful to me?

I haven’t specced into intrigue to get the fabricate ability yet, but can I also just send my spymaster to look for secrets? Are there more ways?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tetramin posted:

How can I go about trying to get a hook on somebody useful to me?

I haven’t specced into intrigue to get the fabricate ability yet, but can I also just send my spymaster to look for secrets? Are there more ways?

Looking for secrets in the persons court with the spymaster is probably the only way to consistently find stuff to blackmail people with, yeah. You can sometimes get random events that give you hooks on people, but those are both inconsistent, and the person you get is usually random.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Oh dear me posted:

Is it worth increasing control on your vassals' counties?

If control is below a certain threshold (I think 35?) it can start creating some events that make the county effectively useless, so I do when it’s that low and my Marshall doesn’t have any other pressing matters.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
You can release somebody from prison and gain favors/hooks that way

Some events give you hooks (usually because you're doing somebody a favor or they're indebted to you) but this is unreliable

You can indeed just use your spymaster to look for secrets. This will let you blackmail people for hooks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Make a religion where everything is illegal, then arrest and release people for hooks every time they're caught doing something.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

FileNotFound posted:

Kidnap as many children as you can, fill your dungeon with them, then execute them all at once. The stress spike across the dynasty will lead to a chain reaction of suicides and kidnapping kids is super easy.

So yeah, here I am with a dungeon full of kids and a giant pile of children's heads that I chopped off

CK3.txt

I love the weird (or downright questionable) stuff this game pushes you to do.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Is there a recommended youtube channel for learning about the game? Seems there are a lot of beginner videos to wade through out there, which I am sure 99% of them are not that great.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Broken Cog posted:

Make a religion where everything is illegal, then arrest and release people for hooks every time they're caught doing something.

I took +fertility cultural legacies and fornication as a tenet for my Polish run. But I kept adultery and fornication illegal. I could arrest 20-40 people at any time.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
OK, now I'm really frustrated. I've tried 4 times now to try and get this achievement with Haesteinn, and each time I get hosed. I just can't get the perfect storm of events that I got my first time that allowed me to seize Brittany, then Cornwall, and raid enough to get the cash to make the titles. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just abandon Montaigu entirely for somewhere else that's easier than being next to Charles and his 10,000 kids?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Frida Call Me posted:

I took +fertility cultural legacies and fornication as a tenet for my Polish run. But I kept adultery and fornication illegal. I could arrest 20-40 people at any time.

Ah yes, the "I'll know it when I see it." approach to adultery laws.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

TorakFade posted:

CK3.txt

I love the weird (or downright questionable) stuff this game pushes you to do.

I don't even usually do intrigue much, but my realm went to my grandson who I did not raise because CK3 doesn't tell you about grandkids - and well I don't know whose ward he was, but by the time I took control he was solid into the intrigue tree, an adulterer, fornicator, 2 lovers, and everyone hated him.

What was I supposed to do? The faction to put another on the throne was in full swing - kidnapping the faction leader was literally the first time I used that ability in the game....

That resolved the faction issue quickly...and then that kinda became that intrigue was all I did with that guy till he died of cancer at 37 - so maybe there is karma in the game...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Could have just let them win if the guy they wanted was of your dynasty and better :v:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Azhais posted:

Could have just let them win if the guy they wanted was of your dynasty and better :v:

Yeah but I'm on ironman, so I wouldn't be able to switch to them - I'd just get hosed out of my empire titles right?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I still think Intrigue needs a bit of looking at. There are practically no repercussions for getting caught if you're a ruler.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Question: I own enough of the counties to create a dutchy, but some of the area that it would encompass is inside the realm of a neighbor. If I create the dutchy, do I get a claim on him?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Question: I own enough of the counties to create a dutchy, but some of the area that it would encompass is inside the realm of a neighbor. If I create the dutchy, do I get a claim on him?

Yes

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Pushing the feudalize button took me from 18k levies and 15 gold/mo to 4k and 1.3/mo in my Kanem Bornu game. Keeping poo poo together is going to be interesting.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Traxis posted:

Pushing the feudalize button took me from 18k levies and 15 gold/mo to 4k and 1.3/mo in my Kanem Bornu game. Keeping poo poo together is going to be interesting.

I think this process needs to be better for sure, I get balance-wise why tribals have so many levies but all of your castles now also have lower fort levels than fully upgraded tribal holdings. There should be a process for converting tribal buildings into castle buildings, giving you mottes with level 2 buildings in exchange for fully upgraded tribal holdings. And possibly start building a "free" city and temple in each county with available slots. It'd certainly help the AI out at any rate.

I understand it'd be a big chain of "if, elseif" statements given the differences in available buildings based on terrain, but hopefully it's something that's possible.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Feudalizing doesn't give you a free city and temple in open slots here? It did in CK2.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Feudalizing doesn't give you a free city and temple in open slots here? It did in CK2.

It does not. I had to pay for them out of my own pocket and it wasn't cheap.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I guess it's time to stockpile gold in my current tribal game. At least I'm already at around 10k since you kinda run out of stuff to spend money on as tribals relatively quickly.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

I still think Intrigue needs a bit of looking at. There are practically no repercussions for getting caught if you're a ruler.

It's absurdly powerful, because of how easily it negates revolts. You don't care if everyone hates you which makes tyranny irrelevant so you can be a 100 dread tyrant and hold the realm with an iron fist without ever having to raise your troops.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm kinda thinking for my 'remake ancient Egypt' run I should reform kordofan and then just take some feudal land and move my capital, rather then trying to go the slow and expensive way?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

FileNotFound posted:

It's absurdly powerful, because of how easily it negates revolts. You don't care if everyone hates you which makes tyranny irrelevant so you can be a 100 dread tyrant and hold the realm with an iron fist without ever having to raise your troops.

A great way to survive succession is to keep a few prisoners stockpiled so your heir can start his career by executing a dozen random dudes and scaring everyone else in line.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Haha, playing as a Viking, my first 4 sons and a grandson died before i figured out why they die so fast and before their dad.

Now i ban anyone in my family to become a knight, unless he's a doofus grandson that had a hook on me and forced himself on my council without any skill at all, I always hope he dies when i go raiding...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah, Dread is neat but seems a bit rushed. I think it's supposed to be balanced by how you instantly lose all of it when you fall ill, so it's supposed to be like you're living on the edge or something, but outside of that you can basically just do whatever, and only a few brave vassals dare to grumble.

Also, all the +/- dread gain modifiers are pointless since you can max it out super easily by just executing a couple of people.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

If my heir cant kick rear end, he doesnt deserve the kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I disallow my best two heirs from serving as knights. The rest, well, the bush spirits can sort them out.

Disallowing particularly skilled chancellors as knights is good though, especially if they're also powerful vassals.