Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, Dread is neat but seems a bit rushed. I think it's supposed to be balanced by how you instantly lose all of it when you fall ill, so it's supposed to be like you're living on the edge or something, but outside of that you can basically just do whatever, and only a few brave vassals dare to grumble.

Also, all the +/- dread gain modifiers are pointless since you can max it out super easily by just executing a couple of people.

Man, this is the truth. My character dies from an infected wound two days after assassinating his vassal, the king of Estonia for his title. His heir is his 16 year old daughter, the brand new Empress of Scandinavia. I go from having 20,000 troops, massive income, and the respect of the known world to 4,00 troops, running near a deficit, and every single vassal hates me. I have three peasant rebellions fire off in the span of a few months, each easily crushed, but I am watching the independence faction of vassals slowly inch towards sending an ultimatum.

Three peasants (I checked, they were all terrible military leaders or champions) burnt at the stake later, and everything is fine, my vassals won't say word one against me, would I like southern Germany for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Is there a way to see the full list of titles that an heir is slated to inherit?

The only list I know of now is the truncated list you get when you hover over their portrait.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Weembles posted:

Is there a way to see the full list of titles that an heir is slated to inherit?

The only list I know of now is the truncated list you get when you hover over their portrait.

If you go to the succession tab on your realm screen it gives you a better breakdown.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I’ve seen this asked s bunch lol. But I’m at a point where I have a ton of land to give out. I wanted to give a son or two some duchies but they all peaced out to other countries and I can’t find a way to get them back. Why do they do that? They’re all adults and didn’t have foreign guardians afaik. Sucks cause now I don’t have nearly as many people I like to give land.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tetramin posted:

I’ve seen this asked s bunch lol. But I’m at a point where I have a ton of land to give out. I wanted to give a son or two some duchies but they all peaced out to other countries and I can’t find a way to get them back. Why do they do that? They’re all adults and didn’t have foreign guardians afaik. Sucks cause now I don’t have nearly as many people I like to give land.

If your kids don't have any reason to hang out at your court they will eventually leave and become wanderers, that's just the way the game works right now. If you're the dynasty head you can use your hooks on them to force them to come back to your court though. I recommend either setting them up with land soon after they come of age or just be ready to call them back if you can.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Oooh Ok that makes sense, especially with the wanderers showing up in my court, it should work both ways.

Thank ya

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ck2 had a big problem with people just sitting around in your court forever doing nothing. this lead to character bloat and the culling engine picking off random nobodies to die at 23 of natural causes just to reduce the memory overhead of keeping track of these 100k extra pointless characters

ck3 deals with this by keeping characters circulating. all the randos visiting your court? they were spawned in some other court and move about randomly looking for something to do. when you call knights? you're putting out a big NOW HIRING flag for rando courtiers kicking around nearby, if it doesn't just spawn more knights at that time. it's a better system imo

this also lead to one of the all time great emergent bugs, in ck2

Groogy posted:

In essence, more dead characters doesn't make game slower. More alive characters does. But what really hits performance are large empires because it increases the amounts of realms (every ruler technically holds his own sub-realm) meaning more evaluations per character has to be made. For instance I discovered late game that huge greek/byzantine empires were slowing down the game because each greek person was evaluating against each other person in the realm "can I castrate?", and this took up like a huge chunk of the performance of the AI. I hink 70% of the AI demands were about castrating or blinding someone when I loaded late-game byzantine saves. Luckily this is fixed in the coming 2.4 patch. A fun little anecdote.

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 10, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The first time I sent a call out for knights, I was playing as a Norse duke invading Catholic England.

The first guy that showed up was a grizzled French Cathar. I'm not sure what was going on in his life to make him want to join a heathen army to kill a bunch of Catholics, but whatever it was made for a nice story.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Is it right that there's no way to switch to female succession under tribal law (using the default gender balance)? I know you can do it with enough crown authority, but not with tribal authority, is that correct?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Traxis posted:

And right now a bunch of achievements are bugged, anyway.

See: Me forming Rus as the Rurikids, me forming Hispania as Jimenas, neither of which fired for me :(

Also I left the game running on observe overnight and it ended up in the 1950s with like three MASSIVE muslim powers ruling 80% of the world, along with a scattering of randos who had managed to dodge being conquered, a decently powerful Rajputna holding on in half of India, and some lads in Tibet and Mongolia holding on.

Almost every single person I looked at had at least two and usually three positive congenital traits.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pipski posted:

Is it right that there's no way to switch to female succession under tribal law (using the default gender balance)? I know you can do it with enough crown authority, but not with tribal authority, is that correct?

Well, Daurama of Daura gets an event that lets them do so, but aside from that I believe you are correct.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

Well, Daurama of Daura gets an event that lets them do so, but aside from that I believe you are correct.

Cool, thanks!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I am having an oddly difficult time sending my army to attack a force a force besieging my castles? When I click right on the enemy army or the siege logo, my army goes to the wrong spot. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to do this?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bold Robot posted:

I guess I made too many cloud saves, so now I can't make anymore. How can I delete old ones? I don't see any in-game way to do this.

Anyone? I save a lot and the lack of any quicksave function means I filled up my cloud saves really quickly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

gvibes posted:

I am having an oddly difficult time sending my army to attack a force a force besieging my castles? When I click right on the enemy army or the siege logo, my army goes to the wrong spot. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to do this?

It's just an issue of clicking on the right holding in the county, which can be a problem when there's flags and poo poo in the way. Just zoom in and make sure you click on the right spot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The cloud saves are all stored locally in the steam/userdata directory. I don't know if removing them there will cause steam to remove them from the cloud or not

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I would really like a game rule that reduced the levy size by 25%, 50%, or even 75%, it would be really nice to keep army sizes much smaller and make men at arms and knights have a greater impact throughout the game and make conflicts more cabinet warfare and less total war. I'm fighting France with a "Let the last man on the right touch his sleeve in the English Channel" style army that is probably greater than the combined armies of Europe in 1200.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mercenaries too. My daughter who received half of Italy after a lollards crusade keeps dragging me into wars to take the rest of her de jure territory which includes Rome. Last war the Pope hired 37000 mercs to deal with her 6500 and my 27000 troops

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

After spending a stupid amount of time looking for a count that was young, unmarried, good diplomacy, and good intrigue, I learned I could just find a count that was young and unmarried and then use the debug mode to console in the stats I want. So there. I probably could have found a count that was old and married and just changed that, too, but ok.

I won't cheat otherwise but seeing as how this game lacks a "create your custom character" feature I figure its all gravy to just cheat your way to a custom character

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Personally I feel the MAA vs. levies balance is pretty good right now, in fact MAA are incredibly powerful if you stack building bonuses on them (even without going full NK-mode). The AI doesn't know how to do this, or indeed, spend money on anything other than MAAs and mercenaries (with some exceptions like an architect). At least, this is what I assume when I constantly seem big empires in debt, empires should always be massively profitable.

Azhais posted:

Mercenaries too. My daughter who received half of Italy after a lollards crusade keeps dragging me into wars to take the rest of her de jure territory which includes Rome. Last war the Pope hired 37000 mercs to deal with her 6500 and my 27000 troops

I think the Pope might just get a bit too much gold from indulgences. Communion is that strong.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

I think the Pope might just get a bit too much gold from indulgences. Communion is that strong.

Communion is so broken that after having it for about a century I got tired of hitting "Accept" over and over and reformed again to get rid of it.

The requests came in so fast that at game speed set to 3 I could not click all of them quickly enough before some would time out. There were also a ton of excommunication and repentance requests which are all good as well because they're just piety sinks.

I have so much gold that I raise mercenaries rather than my own troops because I can't be bothered to wait for my 30k+ army to form up and it seems the only way to get a reasonable number is to just hire 3k worth of mercs.

Edit: So anyway to beat the pope, you hire all the mercs yourself. So he can't.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

They really need to do something about how crusades work when you're the victim of them.

I'm playing as the Norse and there was a crusade for England. I fought it, beat it comprehensively over a 4 year war in which I sieged Rome and captured the pope (who's worth 0% warscore by the way). I'd haemorrhaged about 1.5k gold over the course of the war so when I finally won it I figured there would be a decent pay-off, but instead I just got a handful of prestige and piety. If the pope had won he would have got a giant war chest, but if he loses that money just evaporates? How about I get some of that to cover my expenses at least?

10 years later, the pope declares the second crusade for England. I immediately press the surrender button and cede 10 provinces to him. My vassals will take them back in a few years.

It is basically never worth contesting a crusade, even completely dominating them is just a giant hole in your pocket for no gain.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Do Basques still get gender equality?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

Communion is so broken that after having it for about a century I got tired of hitting "Accept" over and over and reformed again to get rid of it.

The requests came in so fast that at game speed set to 3 I could not click all of them quickly enough before some would time out. There were also a ton of excommunication and repentance requests which are all good as well because they're just piety sinks.

I have so much gold that I raise mercenaries rather than my own troops because I can't be bothered to wait for my 30k+ army to form up and it seems the only way to get a reasonable number is to just hire 3k worth of mercs.

Edit: So anyway to beat the pope, you hire all the mercs yourself. So he can't.

Yeah Communion on a temporal head is absolutely ludicrous so long as you can hang onto the title.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Do Basques still get gender equality?

They (with some other visigoths) get a unique cultural innovation which allows them to set equal gender laws at any crown authority.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah Communion on a temporal head is absolutely ludicrous so long as you can hang onto the title.

How would you even lose it? It seems to just follow my heir consistently - even my murderous adulterous fornicator ruler was the head of the faith despite never making it out of the "Sinner" piety rank during his life.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Was anyone able to make sence out of vampire mod? I tried Tremere and you start with way too many provinces on your demesne, which I thoight was ok, otherwise why would mod creators make it like that? I think it still screws you over vampire or not. Mod mentions that your vampire knights are even more powerful than normal but what does it matter when your enemies are vampires too. Dont get me started on vampire magicks and traits, very confusing how they work. One of my vassals is a "praedator" which is an imprisonable offense, than immediately a rebellion started which easily kicked the rear end of my meager army.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I just got 270 stress from a single event cuz my character was paranoid, sadistic, and zealous which all combined to drive my character to reduce a random courtier into a journal and ink.

GOTY

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

How would you even lose it? It seems to just follow my heir consistently - even my murderous adulterous fornicator ruler was the head of the faith despite never making it out of the "Sinner" piety rank during his life.

I believe it's like the dynasty head in that it follows your "primary" heir, and if you decide to elect one of other kids using an elective succession (or something) it is possible to lose it since it goes to whoever your realm law would determine is your primary heir, rather than your special title succession.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Norse game got much better when I started just surrendering whatever dumb wars I inherited from vassals conquering random poo poo down in continental Europe, and ignoring the Popes constant crusades for England entirely.

Edit: My female vassals even marry normally to lowborns, lol

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 10, 2020

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FileNotFound posted:

As far as I can tell they are totally useless. Always hired out, take up a holding that they do not upgrade, now and then they come to you and say "Hey we want this holding too! We'll give you 750 gold for it!" even if you accept nothing seems to happen...as in you don't get the gold and they don't expand to the 2nd holding...

Supposedly you should have been able to force your undesirable sons into the order, but I do not see that option anywhere.

They really need to fix these. So far as catholic Italy around 1280 CE, I am literally the only one who has founded a catholic holy order.

And yes, they upgrade their holdings zero and I cannot even upgrade them for them. At least let me purchase the upgrades to the holding—even though, yes, I have been able to benefit from the order I founded exactly once in 150 years.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Magil Zeal posted:

They (with some other visigoths) get a unique cultural innovation which allows them to set equal gender laws at any crown authority.

Visigothic Codes also grants access to all partition laws right out of the gate. It's pretty nice.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

PizzaProwler posted:

Visigothic Codes also grants access to all partition laws right out of the gate. It's pretty nice.

:eyepop: I assume that's just Asturias in 867?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: My female vassals even marry normally to lowborns, lol

Yeah female preference doesn't really work well at the moment due to women not marrying matrilineally. I've shelved my Dauraland game until it gets fixed so I can work on learning how to mod the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Is this a bug or am I missing something, I'm fighting a war for the county of Dihistan but I'm somehow only occupying a part of it, so it's not contributing to my war score.

I can't siege it since I'm already "occupying" it, but without sieging it I'm not seeing any way of getting the rest of it under my occupation so that the game would actually count it as properly occupied.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Eimi posted:

:eyepop: I assume that's just Asturias in 867?

According to the wiki it's available to the: Aragonese, Basque, Catalan, and Occitan (but I assume the Visigothic culture that Asturias starts with would get it too?)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My latest queen actually gained a positive trait from a mental break. Instead of two negative choices and nothing, I had a negative choice, nothing, or a positive choice to confide in my soulmate husband and get a stress reduction plus the Confider trait.

It was pretty cool.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My latest queen actually gained a positive trait from a mental break. Instead of two negative choices and nothing, I had a negative choice, nothing, or a positive choice to confide in my soulmate husband and get a stress reduction plus the Confider trait.

It was pretty cool.

There are positive ones, they seem much more rare than the negative ones though. Athletic is a good one to pick up if you can, I believe it's more likely if you have the Medicine focus when you have the break? Or maybe you actually need perks in the Whole of Body tree.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Alternatively you can just go berserk and murder your only son and die of a stress induced heart attack a day later like my corpse journalist did.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've only ever seen the Athletic one pop up on martial specialized characters, so I'm guessing they might be trait related. Like gluttonous might be more likely to get stress eater, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm in a civil war against a 12 vassal faction right now and something I hadn't considered is how much that benefits them in the knight count. The first battle I fought was like 8 of my knights vs 35 of theirs lol. I got crushed, and it seems like the battle probably should have favored me if not for that