Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
lol that tagline, "we refuse to reveal the story's shocking qualities"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

lol that tagline, "we refuse to reveal the story's shocking qualities"

I love when old posters have stuff like that. Twice Told Tales has a good one too:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thats a great poster. I'd put that on the door to my room

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
the best part is, there are no demons in the movie

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Checking out a digital screening of Shadow In The Cloud on Sunday as part of the virtual Toronto festival:

quote:

During World War II, pilots of the Allies’ various air force women’s auxiliaries were called upon to ferry planes from factories to airfields — sometimes through enemy territory, often without proper navigational tools or ammunition. Writer-director Roseanne Liang pays pulpy tribute to these veterans with Shadow In The Cloud, a rip-roaring action/horror hybrid that finds one such airwoman, WAAF officer Maude Garrett (Chloë Grace Moretz), assigned under mysterious circumstances to a rickety B-17 Flying Fortress, where she is custodian of a strictly classified piece of cargo. Forcibly sequestered by the all-male crew to a ball turret hanging from the belly of the bomber, Garrett’s dizzying new-found perspective brings to light yet another unexpected passenger — one whose stealthily sinister presence may jeopardize the lives of all aboard.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

gey muckle mowser posted:

the best part is, there are no demons in the movie

Another sad example of the era's prevailing demonophobiaicophobia.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Basebf555 posted:

After reviewing my list from last years October Challenge, I see that I only watched 2 Hammer films. I had a feeling that was the case because as October approaches I was starting to feel that Hammer itch and it's now been almost 2 years since I've watched some of these great movies.

Anyway, are there some deeper cuts that I should make time for? I've seen all of the Frankenstein and Dracula sequels(although I'll be rewatching a bunch of them).

Shudder has Countess Dracula and The Vampire Lovers, which both star Ingrid Pitt and are therefore worth a look. Vampire Lovers is the better of the two, and also has Peter Cushing.

They also had and might still have Twins of Evil, which is good; Hands of the Ripper, which is fine; and Vampire Circus, which is weird and cool.

Plague of the Zombies is dope, The Gorgon is good, The Reptile is pretty good, The Witches is an interesting if not super successful folk horror. Captain Kronos is a fun, swashbuckling vampire jam.

I dunno, I pretty much always like Hammer. Even when they’re bad, there’s something interesting going on

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is Children of the Stones reasonably in the realm of horror? I kind of want to do a folk horror theme for part of Halloween this year, as I've never seen Wicker Man. From what I've seen, Children of the Stones is unsettling in that blurry, synth-drone, sunlit way that everything from the 70s is unsettling, but that can be deceptive as far as content.

Yes, it is, and it owns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Benito Cereno posted:

Shudder has Countess Dracula and The Vampire Lovers, which both star Ingrid Pitt and are therefore worth a look. Vampire Lovers is the better of the two, and also has Peter Cushing.

They also had and might still have Twins of Evil, which is good; Hands of the Ripper, which is fine; and Vampire Circus, which is weird and cool.

Plague of the Zombies is dope, The Gorgon is good, The Reptile is pretty good, The Witches is an interesting if not super successful folk horror. Captain Kronos is a fun, swashbuckling vampire jam.

I dunno, I pretty much always like Hammer. Even when they’re bad, there’s something interesting going on

Added several of these to my watchlist, thanks!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Apparently Mandy is getting a full-blown album released October 30th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAZiUYql2oE

the brotherhood is in control
invisibly they fill your soul

YES

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Part of what really makes the music work for the movie is the understanding that it's set in 1983.

From the announcement:

quote:

Sacred Bones has announced an album by Jeremiah Sand, the fictional cult leader and main antagonist in the 2018 Nicolas Cage movie Mandy. Lift It Down, described as a psych-folk record, is out October 30 and includes liner notes by the late Genesis Breyer P-Orridge. Check out a video featuring “unearthed footage” for the first single, “Message From the Mountain,” below.
Sold.

quote:

A Sacred Bones representative asserted to Pitchfork that there is no known information about who is behind the recording but that it is a stand-alone release separate from Mandy.
That's cute and all, but I would like to know if the late Johansson composed the music.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Oh poo poo, new Christopher Landon joint is a horror comedy Freaky Friday

https://youtu.be/EHRC4VkiQcI

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Looking at the movies I have lined up for the October challenge, I've accidentally got a good spread of movies from 1932 to now. The biggest gaps are I have no movies from 45-53, and no movies from 76-92. I just gotta plug those holes.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 10, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Looking at the movies I have lined up for the October challenge, I've accidentally got a good spread of movies from 1932 to now. The biggest gaps are I have no movies from between 44 and 54, and no movies from between 75 and 93. I just gotta plug those holes.

Here's a few

Dead of Night (1945)
Abott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
The Thing ('51)
Godzilla ('54)
Rear Window ('54)
Them! (1954).
Creature from the Black Lagoon ('54)

Dead of Night was a huge hit last challenge, surprisingly. It's an anthology film, and they're all solid stories.

I'd fill in some gaps from '75-'93, but that's basically the biggest deluge of horror films in cinematic history, so, uh, it'd be a long list.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Gripweed posted:

between 44 and 54

That decade's a bit lean, here's some I liked:

The Body Snatcher
Dead of Night
The Beast with Five Fingers
The Thing from Another World
House of Wax
It Came from Outer Space
Them!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Franchescanado posted:

Here's a few

Dead of Night (1945)
Abott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
The Thing ('51)
Godzilla ('54)
Rear Window ('54)
Them! (1954).
Creature from the Black Lagoon ('54)

Dead of Night was a huge hit last challenge, surprisingly. It's an anthology film, and they're all solid stories.

I'd fill in some gaps from '75-'93, but that's basically the biggest deluge of horror films in cinematic history, so, uh, it'd be a long list.

Sorry, I phrased the years wrong, I have a movie from 1944(The Mummy's Curse) and 1954(Godzilla) but no movies between them.

Carpenter's The Thing is one of my favorite horror movies of all time, but I've never seen the original. Maybe I should finally get around to that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Halloween Jack posted:

Well yeah, we evolved from Neanderthals and other "archaic humans," and they continued living alongside us until they died out. Since then there have always been legends of some more primal and bestial race living just beyond the areas we've cleared and cultivated.

:wrong:

While Homo Sapiens Sapiens does posses some Neanderthal DNA, Neanderthals and Denisovans were separate species. We evolved along side them and then drove them to extinction.

The fact that most people have some Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA, is proof that given the chance, people would probably gently caress Bigfoot.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Benito Cereno posted:

Oh poo poo, new Christopher Landon joint is a horror comedy Freaky Friday

https://youtu.be/EHRC4VkiQcI

Oh my god I'm digging how they keep merging teen screams into other well-trod genres of film. What other scenarios are there that haven't been combined with slasher films yet?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

:wrong:

While Homo Sapiens Sapiens does posses some Neanderthal DNA, Neanderthals and Denisovans were separate species. We evolved along side them and then drove them to extinction.

The fact that most people have some Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA, is proof that given the chance, people would probably gently caress Bigfoot.

People, right now, gently caress anything that lives and quite a few things that don't. Monster loving has been part of our culture since the dawn of time. A movie on the subject won an Oscar very recently!

If Bigfoot was here he'd be drowning in a sea of dongs and vaginas and anything in-between.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Bigfoot is real and he is an American.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bigfoot comes from the hollow earth which, because of gravity, is in the future.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I decided to watch The Blob 1988 as people were talking about it and its really good so far it been awhile since I've seen it.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Burkion posted:

People, right now, gently caress anything that lives and quite a few things that don't. Monster loving has been part of our culture since the dawn of time. A movie on the subject won an Oscar very recently!

If Bigfoot was here he'd be drowning in a sea of dongs and vaginas and anything in-between.

Hence Bigfoot prostitution movies like Another Yeti a Love Story: Life on the Streets

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The practical effects in this are actually kind of astonishing with everything that they did.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
God drat I'm excited about this - it's an adaptation of one of my favorite short story collections, North American Lake Monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgtaf-KxeA

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of cavemen I'm actually kinda surprised that no one's made a movie based on that really silly "Predatory Neanderthals" theory yet

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

drrockso20 posted:

On the topic of cavemen I'm actually kinda surprised that no one's made a movie based on that really silly "Predatory Neanderthals" theory yet

There's Bone Tomahawk, brah.

e: I long for the days when Craig Zahler was able to channel his inner white supremacist for the power of good.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 10, 2020

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

If Bigfoot was here he'd be drowning in a sea of dongs

why hasn’t this thread been renamed yet

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Hence Bigfoot prostitution movies like Another Yeti a Love Story: Life on the Streets

gently caress I thought you were just making things up

"A man is dragged into Los Angeles's seedy underbelly when his yeti baby is kidnapped."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There's Bone Tomahawk, brah.

Nah see this theory isn't about Neanderthals just being cannibals, the idea is that the mainstream depiction of them is completely wrong and they were in fact more like hairy orcs;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbmywzGAVs

And this isn't even going into some of the really weird poo poo that this theory has ended up tied into like the Saturn Death Cult theory

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

drrockso20 posted:

Well I'm leaning more towards the idea that there used to be some big hairy ape men roaming the wilds of the world that inspired various legends but they probably went extinct centuries or millennia ago

Halloween Jack posted:

Well yeah, we evolved from Neanderthals and other "archaic humans," and they continued living alongside us until they died out. Since then there have always been legends of some more primal and bestial race living just beyond the areas we've cleared and cultivated.

The thing is, though, that you don’t need some ancestral trace memory in the collective unconscious or whatever; humans are already primed to see human faces with their poor night-vision and so-on.

More importantly, a focus on the commonalities between cases (with the expectation that those will point to some underlying truth involving a singular entity behind it all) paves over what are often wild differences - especially in so-called “high strangeness” encounters, where the Bigfoots are reported to walk through walls, glow, shapeshift, teleport, etc. (See “Where The Footprints End: High Strangeness and the Bigfoot Phenomenon”.)

An acknowledgement of ‘high strangeness’ leads to an unavoidable conclusion that Bigfoot is either an extradimensional alien supercreature or, as noted before, that Bigfoot exists purely as a cloud of contradictory images - and those images simply don’t predate the existence of photography, of mass media, and of ignorance about how those work. The (mis)interpretation of jpeg artifacts as evidence of shapeshifting, for example, would not have occurred without the advent of the jpeg.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Ichi the Killer vs Dolls TONIGHT SOON, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

Starting 2000 EST

With special guest star

graventy posted:

gently caress I thought you were just making things up

"A man is dragged into Los Angeles's seedy underbelly when his yeti baby is kidnapped."

It makes more sense when you find out it's a Troma film.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Lovecraft Country is very, very good. People should not be sleeping on it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Lovecraft Country is very, very good. People should not be sleeping on it.

It and Raised by Wolves are both loving excellent. Horror Sci Fi Dystopian Future and Pulp Horror are my jam. Lovecraft country especially is just fantastic.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yeah I've been loving every second of Lovecraft Country

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Episode 1 is a real kick because outside of the opening scene, I felt like it was going to go for this really subtle vibe with the Lovecraft stuff. I enjoyed it, but was ready for this nice slow burn of a series. Five minutes later, they're in the Evil Dead cabin and have to kill a Deadite.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s it’s anniversary so let me show u all my clussies

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Needs more Tim Curry representation.

It’s bullshit that there’s a novelty Pennywise dildo and it’s not Tim Curry. You know he would appreciate it so much more than the other guy.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I watched and loved the first episode of Lovecraft Country with my partner and we recommended it to her parents only to get a call later saying there's an anti semetic trope in the third episode that hurt and disgusted them to the nth degree. I looked into it and it seems an evil character who kidnaps and performs experiments on children is called Hiram Epstein. AND THEY CHANGED HIS NAME FROM THE NOVEL!? The antisemitic trope of blood-libel (killing the children to make matzos) isn't that well known but the torture/experiments on Jewish children during the Holocaust didn't cross any writer/show-runner/producer/HBO executives mind? I know it's horror and it's designed to be upsetting but this sounds pretty harmful (I'm refusing to commit to a full judgment without actually seeing it yet). We're still going to watch it, it feels like they must have just changed the character name to make a half-arsed reference to Jeffrey Epstein and weren't trying to be antisemitic but it just goes to show how a little thoughtlessness can totally ruin the experiences of marginalised people even in a show as progressive as Lovecraft Country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Killer Queen is pretty good! It’s definitely broader and more over the top than the original Babysitter, both for better (gory kills) and for worse (jokes that don’t land)