Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Their parents were killed and they were abducted and forced to fight as children, Kimiko reveals this through Mesmer in season 1.

According to the Trivia that plays on Amazon Prime during the show, they were brought to the Philippines since the Shining Light group is based over there:

E:

thrawn527 posted:

But if they push him too hard and he just decides to take whatever the gently caress he wants (in which case, who gives a poo poo about money?), do they have anything they can do to stop him?
In the comics they have a way to handle Homelander going rogue - and it's a fairly major plot point from the get go even if it's not revealed until the end of the story, although it's most likely not going to be handled the same way in the show.

I believe Homeboy is being grown exactly as that failsafe though: he's going to be Clark Kent's Superman, growing with a nurturing mother instead of a sterile lab and being taught what's good and what's bad. Of course his setting is still a Truman Show and "what's good" is going to be "what's good for Vought", but I'm fairly certain that's the reason his son is being kept secret from Homelander.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just don’t think Homelander would be allowed to operate without some kind of obvious fail safe, whether that fail safe is a bomb they shoved up his rear end when he was a baby, or Stormfront, or it’s Black Noir, or it’s his son, I have no idea, but Homelander has to have some kind of Kryptonite besides “bad brain”

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I just don’t think Homelander would be allowed to operate without some kind of obvious fail safe, whether that fail safe is a bomb they shoved up his rear end when he was a baby, or Stormfront, or it’s Black Noir, or it’s his son, I have no idea, but Homelander has to have some kind of Kryptonite besides “bad brain”

eagle's gonna hit him with a zinc arrow

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They could just have a a different compound that renders V inert.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Was flipping through the eps again for Possible Gif Content and I think it's a nice touch that the deep used a sperm whale

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Has there been any word on how many seasons they have planned for this? I'm actually glad this diverged from the comics so hard because it's keeping things fresh and sidestepping the most egregious of the edgelord / racist poo poo in the source material, but the pacing feels a little strange - I can't tell if they're trying to drag things out for a bunch more seasons or if they specifically wanted a smaller "4 seasons and we're done" sort of thing and are now setting up all the pins just to quickly knock them down.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

As Nero Danced posted:

I propose that the kid be named Homeboy.

This shouldn't be lost to page 71.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Utgardaloki posted:

Stillwater in the comics didn't really have an ace in the sleeve and he was still ice cold.

well i mean he did, it just sucked and blew up in his face. still didn't make him sweat, which is sort of the point of Ennis' take on corporate overlords.

Stillwell trolling Homelander by absolutely refusing to give a poo poo was one of the few things the comic did well. moderatly lolling from thinking about it now

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

IMHO, Stormfront being racist is not as cut and dry as people want to believe. Upon a rewatch and a frame by frame, it's pretty clear to me the reason she kills the family is because the father stands in her way. Once he dies, she obviously has to kill the witnesses. I'm not saying what she did was right by any stretch of the definition. There's no denying she is evil and reckless, but I didn't get any racist vibes from her. Let's not forget that the person who invited her into the Seven and is her boss is a POC. Why would a racist agree to work for a POC? It obviously doesn't add up. Not to mention she's working alongside two POC and she has had no negative interactions with them at all. Also, let's not overlook the fact about the ethnicity of the actress portraying her. Even though it's 2020, there's no way any casting director who cares about their job would cast a Jewish person to portray a Nazi. Obviously you're welcome to speculate, but I'm not seeing the racist narrative. At all.

She's by far my favorite superhero we've seen in the series, especially as she's seemingly the only one who isn't afraid of Homelander. Can't wait to see where the character goes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Jesus Christ, man

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bioshuffle posted:

IMHO, Stormfront being racist is not as cut and dry as people want to believe. Upon a rewatch and a frame by frame, it's pretty clear to me the reason she kills the family is because the father stands in her way. Once he dies, she obviously has to kill the witnesses. I'm not saying what she did was right by any stretch of the definition. There's no denying she is evil and reckless, but I didn't get any racist vibes from her. Let's not forget that the person who invited her into the Seven and is her boss is a POC. Why would a racist agree to work for a POC? It obviously doesn't add up. Not to mention she's working alongside two POC and she has had no negative interactions with them at all. Also, let's not overlook the fact about the ethnicity of the actress portraying her. Even though it's 2020, there's no way any casting director who cares about their job would cast a Jewish person to portray a Nazi. Obviously you're welcome to speculate, but I'm not seeing the racist narrative. At all.

She's by far my favorite superhero we've seen in the series, especially as she's seemingly the only one who isn't afraid of Homelander. Can't wait to see where the character goes.

Source your quotes

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol yeah bravo great troll

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Bioshuffle posted:

She passes another black man on the stairwell immediately afterward, then stops pursuing her target, turns around and walks back down to murder him. Not getting in her way does not protect you if you're a minority near her and the cameras aren't rolling.

"I'm not racist because my boss is black" just doesn't scan. She wants power, and the Seven has it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Even though it's 2020, there's no way any casting director who cares about their job would cast a Jewish person to portray a Nazi.

This is where I actually caught on

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure that's just a good parody because it's things centrist libs say to ignore the inherent racism of capitalism. That company can't be engaged in systematically racist practices, the CEO is black! It's just a coincidence that all their victims are black.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Wild T posted:

She passes another black man on the stairwell immediately afterward, then stops pursuing her target, turns around and walks back down to murder him. Not getting in her way does not protect you if you're a minority near her and the cameras aren't rolling.

"I'm not racist because my boss is black" just doesn't scan. She wants power, and the Seven has it.

She killed him because he was a witness. That was my interpretation anyway. If she wants the power, she obviously doesn't seem very interested because she spends most of her screen time making GBS threads on the Seven.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's also possible that Stormfront doesn't see race?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's also possible that Stormfront doesn't see race?

Not a racist bone in her body!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is all a crazy misunderstanding.

Stormfront has enhanced vision, at the cost of color perception. She can only see the color yellow.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/TOSqgL0.gifv

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Bioshuffle posted:

She killed him because he was a witness. That was my interpretation anyway. If she wants the power, she obviously doesn't seem very interested because she spends most of her screen time making GBS threads on the Seven.

That dude wasn't even present for the initial murders. He was outside on the stairwell coming up from another floor and froze when he saw the chase.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

This is the worst neck-snap in media history, holy lol

https://twitter.com/vineyille/status/822814010185842688?s=20

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Wild T posted:

That dude wasn't even present for the initial murders. He was outside on the stairwell coming up from another floor and froze when he saw the chase.

It's pretty blatant she enjoys being a murderous monster, especially when she can get away with it. We'll know for sure in the coming episodes, but I am witholding my judgement for now. Either way, I'm not saying what she did wasn't horrendous or wrong.

Let's not forget that during WWII, there were tons of anti-Japanese propaganda that was straight up racist.

Edit: what's the spoiler policy in this thread? Cause I'm seeing people post straight up spoilers without any tags.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I mean she is part of a well organized militia and felt clearly threatened by their menacing... um... existence.

Jeeebus :psyduck:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe she just doesn't like cowards and enjoys lines from spaghetti westerns?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She does have those armbands that seem really well placed to have her rip the velcro off and reveal swastikas.

Though I wonder if they'll go full nazi/alt right with her. Her character so far seems pretty in line with a 'white feminist', like a Lena Dunham with super powers.

Bioshuffle posted:

llol try harder

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is the worst neck-snap in media history, holy lol

https://twitter.com/vineyille/status/822814010185842688?s=20

haha, did not notice how bad this was until you pointed it out

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

PostNouveau posted:

Not a racist bone in her body!

She's just another victim of the fake-news liberal media.

Also I remember reading that they recast Homeboy because the original actor hadn't been in anything else before and they wanted someone a little more experienced. (I also got the impression they were trying to cast someone who had the maturity to handle what happens in the story? Things may get more hosed up than they already are)

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Bioshuffle posted:

this you? (re: the elderly man police beat down a few months back)

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there any evidence he was suffering from dementia? Even if his intentions were in the right place, most people would have known better than to walk right up to a line of riot police decked out in full military gear. The dementia theory seems to line up with his actions of walking up to them and gesturing with his cell phone like he was having a nice leisurely talk at a cafe or something.

I can at least understand the initial push, but the real infuriating part is the way the police officer prevented the other officer from checking up on him. It's not as if they were facing an actual riot- there was literally no reason they couldn't have stopped to check on him. If this incident hadn't been on film, they would have just chalked it up to someone tripping and moved on. Cell phone cameras have definitely been a game changer in dealing with police abuse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

It's pretty clear most of you are not open to the idea that there are multiple ways to interpret and analyze shows, but I know I'm not alone in how I feel, and I'll leave it at that.

I was surprised to see the second season rated so lowly on Amazon, but it looks like most of the one star ratings are from people who are angry they didn't release all the episodes at the same time.

I wonder if they're trying to stagger it out due to the slowed production schedule.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

“Why would Stormfront work for a black man?”

Pragmatism. She’s getting her massive sponsorships, paychecks AND the chance to get a much larger audience to fall for her racist, alt-reich way of thought.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Crespolini posted:

Stillwell trolling Homelander by absolutely refusing to give a poo poo was one of the few things the comic did well. moderatly lolling from thinking about it now

He was legitimately the most bad-rear end villain of the comics. And he lives!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/7aeARMA.gifv

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 10, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bioshuffle posted:

Obviously you're welcome to speculate, but I'm not seeing the racist narrative. At all.

There really isn't any window of interpretation available to what she calls the Japanese man before she kills him. The showrunners literally anticipated someone with your EXACT line of reasoning and said "we better make her straight up use a racial slur otherwise complete idiots might miss this."

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Victis posted:

I guess at the time of that scene the Compound V cat wasn't out of the bag but it's not like they could STOP him. He also isn't supposed to know about his son or be messing with Becca but he is anyways

Aren't there rival corporation super-teams in the comics

edit: the only thing keeping him at Vought are his dependency issues, which are admittedly massive

Comics spoiler Vought is the only company that figured out Compound V as a somewhat reliable thing. Other corporations try, but none have any actual success with making their own. They might have recruited a few, but for the most part they're all Vought or a Vought owned subsidiary. The Boys did have some watered down V that was more reliable, but that's a whole other thing and had some extra story complications with it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MT, you are the real hero.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bioshuffle posted:

It's pretty clear most of you are not open to the idea that there are multiple ways to interpret and analyze shows

and some of these ways are stupid.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bioshuffle posted:

It's pretty clear most of you are not open to the idea that there are multiple ways to interpret and analyze shows, but I know I'm not alone in how I feel, and I'll leave it at that.

I was surprised to see the second season rated so lowly on Amazon, but it looks like most of the one star ratings are from people who are angry they didn't release all the episodes at the same time.

I wonder if they're trying to stagger it out due to the slowed production schedule.

Yeah, assuming you're not just a parody, I really want to know how you square the whole, "She's not necessarily a racist" thing with the racist slur she lets out at the end when she kills Kenji (Kimiko's brother). You seem to be purposefully not mentioning it so far, and you have to understand why no one is going to take you seriously while that's true.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I think anyone who doesn't see that Stormfront's murders in the apartment were racially motivated is being a contrarian, but what does remain to be seen is whether the writers are going to do anything interesting with it, or if she'll just be a cookie cutter white supremacist.

The character up to that point gives me hope for some interesting satire/commentary but who knows.

edit:
like I'm hoping it's more interesting than "what if a millenial social media star was ALSO a secret nazi???"

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Some neat behind the scenes stuff about that poor whale.