Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, Knights are super important. At base, a Knight does 10times the damage a single leve would, per point of prowess. And it's easy to get 2-300% Knight damage from traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Just played around, idk, 15 hours in my first game as Ireland (still haven't made it to feudal, which I hear is a nightmare!). So far it's fun, and I enjoy the new flavor events + lifestyles and the dynasty and tech tree stuff, but I'm not convinced it's any better than CK2 yet. I like the stress feature, still learning how to handle that. Some big changes I noticed are that besieging a province takes a lot less time since you don't have to work on every single goddamn puny holding, which is nice, and wars are a lot less disruptive, which makes sense since there was constant warfare. Also way fewer revolts! But then again I'm still tribal.

Do you still get big opinion penalties form vassals if you raise their levies for a long time? It's kind-of odd that all the soldiers just appear together in a big lump rather than clearly differentiating from vassal and demesne forces.

I got so used to the layer of complexity added by the council and wrestling with big vassals that this all seems a lot simpler, to be honest. The big challenge is much more about succession, since getting to primogeniture seems to be a huge pain in the rear end.

In my game, norse Sweden got way too big and powerful, even though I assassinated one or two kings! I redirected a crusade against Sweden and they just started tossing around these huge stacks until the game decided they were suddenly no-longer a valid target.

I'm starting to think that that all these religious changes are overpowered. As an Irish Christian, (I think) you can wage holy wars against other kinds of Christians, and if you create your own religion (which is pretty easy to do toward the end of any long-lived character's life) you can basically holy war anyone. Forging a claim is really simple, and I haven't felt the need to do any of the fun long-term planning and claimant poaching that was such a staple of CK2.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Delthalaz posted:

Do you still get big opinion penalties form vassals if you raise their levies for a long time? It's kind-of odd that all the soldiers just appear together in a big lump rather than clearly differentiating from vassal and demesne forces.

I've seen vassals get a negative modifier of me with Offensive War as the reason, so I think that's the new vassal levy penatly.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Holy poo poo Shy is debilatating. You get stress for Swaying people and Feasts don't bring down stress, it's terrible

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

Seems to be replaced by an "offensive war" opinion penalty. e:f;b

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Piell posted:

Holy poo poo Shy is debilatating. You get stress for Swaying people and Feasts don't bring down stress, it's terrible

Yeah, and even recruiting Knights causes stress. Shy is the worst. Most other traits I'll deal with but I'll do anything in my power to make Shy inheritors disappear.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Piell posted:

Yeah I avoid Shy like the plague. I will eat 50+ stress just to avoid it being inflicted on a potential heir

also, about Stress : If an event will make you exceed the stress cap and have a mental break, remember you can open up the decisions before unpausing and immediately start a Feast or Hunt to go back under the threshold - it'll avoid the mental break entirely

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Is there a secret Dread modifier anyway? Because often I have 0 and there are a handful of people literally terrified of me. I figure it might be tied with realm power or dynasty renown?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
By the way, I've found that some of the old CK2 hotkeys are still in the game, even if they're not mentioned in the UI. "g" still merges armies for example, and if you're zoomed out in one of the realm selection maps, you can hold ctrl and left click on a realm to break it down by direct vassals, and the continue ctrl clicking those to go further down. ctrl right click does the reverse

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jeza posted:

Is there a secret Dread modifier anyway? Because often I have 0 and there are a handful of people literally terrified of me. I figure it might be tied with realm power or dynasty renown?

Cowardly people are always terrified of you. I think content triggers intimidated as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, Knights are super important. At base, a Knight does 10times the damage a single leve would, per point of prowess. And it's easy to get 2-300% Knight damage from traits.

How does the combat math work, anyway?

So this means that a 10 prowess knight is equivalent to 100 levies on the battlefield? Or are there other factors

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fintilgin posted:

I'm kinda thinking for my 'remake ancient Egypt' run I should reform kordofan and then just take some feudal land and move my capital, rather then trying to go the slow and expensive way?

I did it with the Coptic kingdom with the Wad el-Milk. Got my children raised by Kushites who converted them, then conquered the other Holy Sites and reformed the religion with my heir.

Now to convert my vassals and expand.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Piell posted:

Yeah it's legit one of the worst traits in the game compared to the boring stat modifier it was before.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Anyone know how to reduce the numbers of vassals?

I just conquered France in a holy war, and now got 73/60 vassals. which gives me -65% income & men.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Descar posted:

Anyone know how to reduce the numbers of vassals?

I just conquered France in a holy war, and now got 73/60 vassals. which gives me -65% income & men.

Make dukes, transfer the counts in their duchys to them. If you're empire level, consider making vassal kingdoms.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I'm 50 years old, with 6 sons and 2 daughters, 3 kingdom-titles. Succession will be hell.
For the rest of my life I will wage war with my sons on the front-lines, until I either have an emperor-title, or only one son left.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, your realm splitting into separate kingdoms isn't the worst, since you get claims on your brothers highest title, and also more kings means more renown.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Is there an easy way to get a demesne map? I miss being able to click a button and easily see on the map which territories are directly mine and which aren't. I also miss the diplomacy map showing me exactly who I'm at war with/allied with.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

With shy I think each action should give less stress just because so much of the game relies on this and it's debilitating in a way no other trait is. Like at least the other annoying stress traits like Ambitious or Paranoid offer strong upsides.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

PerOlus posted:

I'm 50 years old, with 6 sons and 2 daughters, 3 kingdom-titles. Succession will be hell.
For the rest of my life I will wage war with my sons on the front-lines, until I either have an emperor-title, or only one son left.

Look at is this way - either you'll be at war for the rest of your life in this life... or the next. :V

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, your realm splitting into separate kingdoms isn't the worst, since you get claims on your brothers highest title, and also more kings means more renown.

Yup - letting them split off and grow as separate kingdoms isn't so bad really.

I've intentionally spun off my family members and independent kingdoms.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I finally got to Feudal as a reformed Vidilist Lithuania today, it's 1039.
God it loving sucks swapping over. You're suddenly insanely poor (because your men at arms no longer use prestige) and you lose all your buildings.

I've gone from 30k troops to about 4k. Which I can't afford to keep actually mustered because it costs a loving fortune - and I don't make any money because I've only got one county since I'm still confederate partition since I need a tech and loving high crown authority to swap it.

God why make it such a huge, huge, huge arse? It's ENOUGH of an arse without it absolutely loving me over as well!

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Hot take: this game owns. It will obviously take a few DLC to match the breadth of CK2, but drat if this isn't a great foundation for that.

The only change I really don't like is making baronies/temples/cities separate provinces on the map. It makes micromanaging army movements (my least favorite part of the game) into a much bigger pain in the rear end. Just fold them back into counties like in CK2 (but make it so you only need to siege down the castles for control).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I must suck horribly at this game because I keep getting my rear end kicked by invading Brittany with Haesteinn even though he has a super army. Is there anything not obvious about the combat?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deltasquid posted:

You can indeed just use your spymaster to look for secrets. This will let you blackmail people for hooks.

Incidentally doing this because is insanely lucrative. I periodically send my spymaster to Constantinople and have him dig up dirt on everybody, and use the perk that lets you trade hooks for gold to pull thousands out of the empire.

Maybe it'll be less of a cash grab if they ever reduce the rates at which the AI tries to sleep with and/or murder everyone they can see, but for now it's free money. Super useful for my conversion to feudalism, apparently I'm going to have to build up all these towns and temples myself.

Broken Cog posted:

Feudalizing doesn't give you a free city and temple in open slots here? It did in CK2.

It does not. Literally all it does is take away all the tribal buildings, and replace each converting tribal holding with an non-upgraded castle. As far as I can tell my vassals aren't upgrading them either; not sure if they're too broke, or if they're trying to hoard money to hire mercs and kill each other.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 10, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Taear posted:

I finally got to Feudal as a reformed Vidilist Lithuania today, it's 1039.
God it loving sucks swapping over. You're suddenly insanely poor (because your men at arms no longer use prestige) and you lose all your buildings.

I've gone from 30k troops to about 4k. Which I can't afford to keep actually mustered because it costs a loving fortune - and I don't make any money because I've only got one county since I'm still confederate partition since I need a tech and loving high crown authority to swap it.

God why make it such a huge, huge, huge arse? It's ENOUGH of an arse without it absolutely loving me over as well!

Man I'm working right now but I am also constantly distracted thinking about my triple bind of only having 2500 gold pre-feudalizing , my vassals feudalizing on their own, and the potential for the Byzantines to Crusade against me ticking up by the month lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hear most of Iceland is Christian in 867 a full 133 years before they actually converted. I'm writing a harshly worded letter to Paradox as we speak, in fúþark runes, on a wooden pole, topped with a horses head.

Magil Zeal posted:

They (with some other visigoths) get a unique cultural innovation which allows them to set equal gender laws at any crown authority.

Cool.

Though the wording makes it sounds like Basques are visigoths.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The served human flesh event...but it was delicious...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man I'm working right now but I am also constantly distracted thinking about my triple bind of only having 2500 gold pre-feudalizing , my vassals feudalizing on their own, and the potential for the Byzantines to Crusade against me ticking up by the month lol

Yea I have no idea how much I had when I swapped but I know by the time the dust had settled I was down to -900. Lovely.
I've effectively gone from one of the largest world powers to one of the weakest ones!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jeza posted:

The served human flesh event...but it was delicious...

Apparnetly there's an event where you can burn down a feast and everyone in it. Just go full Red Wedding.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The burn down your own feast event is GREAT.

I am Also grinding out achievements.
the Almost There one is stupidly easy.

Start out (make sure ironman is on)
Raise one level 5 unit of onagers and wait for them to reinforce.
Pop decision, invade bulgaria and just siege your way into pannonia smashing the weak rear end bulgarian army apart when they show up.
Win the war and use the loot from sieging to get piety and convert.

Took me 15 minutes.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I have de jure claims on ten counties held by the damnible Swedes that are rightfully part of the Wendish Empire. I have the Divine Right innovation which supposedly lets me assert multiple claims in a war. But the declare war screen will only declare for one county at a time.

Am I missing something here or is the Divine Right innovation bugged/limited in an undocumented way?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Do Basques still get gender equality?

Magil Zeal posted:

They (with some other visigoths) get a unique cultural innovation which allows them to set equal gender laws at any crown authority.
Keep in mind this is only for succession. The other equality stuff (council/generals/knights/handing out land) is still governed by religion without any way of overriding without reforming the religion to equality, unlike in CK2 with tech + laws.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 10, 2020

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

How are everyone's Genghis Khan experiences so far? He just declared war on me with 21,000 troops at his command, which is three times what I have, so I'm hoping that he's doing that to a lot of people at once and I won't actually see 21,000 soldiers showing up at my borders all at once.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

How are everyone's Genghis Khan experiences so far? He just declared war on me with 21,000 troops at his command, which is three times what I have, so I'm hoping that he's doing that to a lot of people at once and I won't actually see 21,000 soldiers showing up at my borders all at once.

I haven't seen him yet in my second game, in my first he just kinda fizzled out I think. Never really made an empire.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Magil Zeal posted:

I haven't seen him yet in my second game, in my first he just kinda fizzled out I think. Never really made an empire.

That's good. I should add that I'm in Tibet, so if he does start expanding I'll probably find out about it pretty fast.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm not ultra sure why your vassals feudalizing on their own is a problem. In my experience this only made them weaker. And I don't think the Byzantines can call crusades, unless they've mass converted to some heresy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’s begun.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just tried feudalizing as Norse, wasn't that bad, honestly. Went from around +44 gold per month to +11 gold, but that was to be expected. My stewardship centered leader and 12k gold stored let me build money buildings and some cities in every major county for all my main vassals.

Now to sit back for a couple of years until I've recovered a bit, but all in all, could've been worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Anno posted:

It’s begun.

wow, i can almost be the endless witch beatrice...