Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

the game thread should've only been brought back on condition that the games discussed are played on Linux

proton seems pretty decent imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Linux? On my desktop? It’s more common than you think!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cool av posted:

opened this thread for the first time, skipping to the last page, and it's just people arguing about which distro to use. linux.

lol if you don't use yocto or buildroot and create your own distribution

and then run alpine images on it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I guess it's not the desktop thread anymore, which kinda takes the humor out of it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well yes, because windows is the best desktop linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001
id say rip desktop linux but, it cant really be dead if it was never alive in the first place :newlol:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
plan 9 on the desktop when

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

supported packages don't matter that much

dehumanize yourself and face to docker

i will not.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

akadajet posted:

windows is the only operating system that does linux right

by making it an optional feature and providing a virtual environment for it

you forgot to switch account before posting

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
kernel developers are finally focusing on the key issues of the day - improving support for the amiga file system

https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/07/linux_5_9_rc_4/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that’s probably more fun than looking at whatever intel/and/nvidia/Microsoft are submitting

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm gonna do fedora

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Good luck.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm gonna do fedora

m'linux

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

taviso is one of those wordperfect users

I still use WordPerfect 6.2 for DOS

fun that dosemu works that well

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

fedora's kde spin going wayland by default in version 34

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefaultForPlasma

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Tankakern posted:

taviso is one of those wordperfect users

I still use WordPerfect 6.2 for DOS

fun that dosemu works that well

i've heard of old habits die hard but this is ridiculous

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i've heard of old habits die hard but this is ridiculous

apparently its not even an old habit, he picked it up recently

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Can't say I'm entirely unsympathetic when every single idiot gently caress programmer has had Terminal HTML5 Brain for at least the last five years

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Can't say I'm entirely unsympathetic when every single idiot gently caress programmer has had Terminal HTML5 Brain for at least the last five years

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Raspberry Pi 4 VC4 Support Coming With Linux 5.10

neat

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my secondhand dell inspiron laptop that originally came preinstalled with ubuntu and has an ubuntu sticker from the manufacturer that i have installed ubuntu on has an hdmi port that ubuntu refuses to see has a monitor connectged to it and im having to gently caress with modelines to make it do anything and also theres no sound over hdmi. laptop linux FTW

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/apinheiro/mesa/-/commits/wip/igalia/v3dv

I guess VC4 Vulkan is still a work in progress

Hopefully it gets merged soon, it would be exciting to have a low-cost platform with a fully open-source modern graphics stack

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah this is exactly the sort of thing I would normally enjoy hating, but in in 2020 it bizarrely almost makes sense since your other options are like a plain text editor, libreoffice/microsoft office, or something based on a web browser.

I would consider giving it a try but no unicode is a deal killer for me.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

with the state of latex actually being way better than 15 years ago i don't think it makes *that* much sense to hunt for other terminal-based ways of writing a document though.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

just use emacs

mystes
May 31, 2006

Latex is decent as a typesetting language but I don't think it's great as a word processing experience, and I don't think emacs is really a replacement for an actual word processor either unless you just want to write latex in a plain text editor with previews of equations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
how is LyX these days? aeons ago i tried that as a substitute for actually learning latex, and it was sort of good. lots of rough edges but it did work reasonably well

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Serious q what do you actually use a word processor for these days other than idk preparing books for publication

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Serious q what do you actually use a word processor for these days other than idk preparing books for publication

the most classic yospos take: questioning whether an incredibly common task is actually something anyone should be doing

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I didn't read any of this thread but I want to say that SUSE sucks poo poo and anyone who uses this trash is a loving idiot. Good lord. I can tell their business model is 1) charge for support 2) make it unusable and ensure every feature of the OS is worse than their upstream so that you have to cut as many tickets as possible.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Time to name our network management daemon. How about WICKEDD with two Ds? HELL YEAH Time to RIP THE CURL and watch my networking fail to come up 30% of the time for literally no reason. Wicked!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

BobHoward posted:

how is LyX these days? aeons ago i tried that as a substitute for actually learning latex, and it was sort of good. lots of rough edges but it did work reasonably well
I actually think something like lyx but more decoupled from the actual details of latex (or maybe entirely decoupled from latex and it would just produce xml that you could do whatever with) would be my ideal word processor

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

what the gently caress kinda question is that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sapozhnik posted:

lmao. u absolute clown

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

with the state of latex actually being way better than 15 years ago i don't think it makes *that* much sense to hunt for other terminal-based ways of writing a document though.

Just use overleaf

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I mean what do people itt use word processors for, i am well aware that many people continue to use word processors

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They use it to process words op

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

I mean what do people itt use word processors for, i am well aware that many people continue to use word processors
long letters, short articles, my resume, a sprawling collection of todo lists and notes to myself...

at work i use it for writing and formatting it documents

pretty much the same stuff ive been using word processors for over the last 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

They use it to process words op

hell, same