Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Anno posted:

It’s begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure I understand the seduction perk tree, or seduction of people that aren't currently your spouse in general. The only two things I can see it doing are:
1) It is funny to sleep with your enemy's spouse
2) You're not getting kids from your spouse and need to legitimize a bastard or two
2a) Maybe someone else has better traits than your spouse and you want those in your dynasty or something?

Am I missing some cool way to turn seduction into renown or title claims?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I hear most of Iceland is Christian in 867 a full 133 years before they actually converted. I'm writing a harshly worded letter to Paradox as we speak, in fúþark runes, on a wooden pole, topped with a horses head.

Cool.

Though the wording makes it sounds like Basques are visigoths.

Old viking rulers also get the default event where their eye sight gives them trouble reading scrolls, which always makes me do a double take. I'd internalized literature as not being a thing before Christianity swept through our region. Maybe it was just paper the vikings didn't have though?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well, after getting back to my game...I've noticed that vassals can wage war and claim territory for you. Someone took the county of Galloway and the Isle of Mann so now they're under my Irish rule.

I did also conquer the county of Cumberland and the Outer Hebrides, but unfortunately, my Good Son was killed in battle. My other son is....not great but hopefully he learns from some tutelage and gets better as he grows up a little. and he needs to do it real fuckin quick cuz my current king is 73

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

actually finished my first game of crusader kings ever after hundreds of hours in ck2

It was a fun game! I started out in the sorority thunderdome, ate all of africa and became a world straddling military collossus, then reformed and became incredibly weak because i had been neglecting development.

Then I married my way into heir to the caliphate and actually managed to (mostly) hold the fucker which gave me some good territory.
Though persia and whatever that baghdadid blob is broke free and were always equally strong as me militarily

Daura is a terrible capital and I should have moved it but it became an advantage because in all these arab independence wars I could just wait out in subsaharan africa and beat up any vassals nearby.
Then you can wait out the long war malus to force a white peace or if they come to you you can raise your levies near them and snipe their capitals

i really like the new 3d models and the way they (seem at least) to inherit characteristics in a very smooth and procedural way.
by the end of my run the africans, arab, east asian and indian features began to blur together in my nobility, there were red haired, dark skinned semitic frenchmen, i really like how there are basically new ethnicities by the end of the game like wot appened in istory.
itd be nice if the culture system was overhauled to reflect this, i didn't find the culture system added to anything and was too strict.

I found intrigue was godlike and am going to have a hard time not picking it on everyone. the reason there are no other big blobs is because i was just stabbing crowned heads left and right or converting them. the other strong thing to max is diplomacy for vassal opinion but the left and right intrigue trees are so strong.
once you get that -1000% dread decay you just execute some "deserving" prisoners to terrify everyone and the vassals who are left you abduct.

demand payment is extremely lucrative too but only once and +10 vassal opinion is very good but its not gonna stop someone from demanding independence if they really want it, whereas a snake in the bed will
i really hope paradox buff the other trees rather than just nerf intrigue, its the best tree because its also the most engaging and fun, also the end talents are really variable, the plotting one is super strong and gives you a big flat bonus to all plots, one other one i got gave me +2 diplomacy and 1 prestige per month.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Boot and Rally posted:

I'm not sure I understand the seduction perk tree, or seduction of people that aren't currently your spouse in general. The only two things I can see it doing are:
2) You're not getting kids from your spouse and need to legitimize a bastard or two
2a) Maybe someone else has better traits than your spouse and you want those in your dynasty or something?

I suppose seduction also helps where you need opinion bonuses.

Speaking of bastards, they get weird when it comes to certain traits. The blood of the prophet trait doesn't pass to known bastards. I didn't have the chance to see if a secret bastard gets the trait though. My characters were called out both times they cheated and had a baby.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Boot and Rally posted:

I thought the point if it was that you dip into stewardship real quick for golden obligations as an attractive queen or whatever and then use the hooks generated to findom your vassals and neighbors or something. Then you can reset the perk tree when get old or something and get really into murder.
Also dipping into it for 30% fertility is pretty good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boot and Rally posted:

Lovers can't join factions is the big one I keep hearing. Make everyone bisexual in the game rules and have the most stable kingdom ever

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Donnerberg posted:

Old viking rulers also get the default event where their eye sight gives them trouble reading scrolls, which always makes me do a double take. I'd internalized literature as not being a thing before Christianity swept through our region. Maybe it was just paper the vikings didn't have though?

Literature was mostly a post-Viking Age thing since the Norse didn't write much and mostly relied on oral tradition. Like most of the Sagas take place in around the 10th century but almost all of them were written in the 13th century or later though many are probably based on much older oral accounts, some of them might be plain historical fiction) and even then they weren't written on paper but vellum (calfskin).

They were big fans of scratching runes into stones though. Like the dudes who wrote their names into the Hagia Sofia and all the rich dudes who commissioned big fancy rune stones.

It's not impossible that a sufficiently wealthy and well traveled nobleman in the Viking Age could get his hands on some foreign scrolls and even be able to read them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Actually come to think I genuinely forget to reset my perk tree. Does anyone have a favorite time to do so?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Is there a secret Dread modifier anyway? Because often I have 0 and there are a handful of people literally terrified of me. I figure it might be tied with realm power or dynasty renown?

It's not based on your dread but rather based on the AI's "boldness", which is a hidden stat based on their traits. They are intimidated/terrified of you when your dread exceeds their boldness by a certain amount, and boldness can go into the negatives so you can terrify them with 0 dread if they're just naturally cowardly.

Boot and Rally posted:

One big advantage of seduction: Bastards can be married off for alliances, since they are still your kids, but they won't get claims on your titles or split your territory with partition.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 10, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you hold multiple Empire titles?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Jesus God, I made a mistake nominating my failson

Diplomacy: 7
Martial: 2
Stewardship: 1
Intrigue: 5
Learning: 6

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Azhais posted:

Can you hold multiple Empire titles?

Yes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How are Holy Order supposed to work? I created one, it immediately got hired, and has been perpetually hired for like twenty years now, or so the constant “Knights Templar have been hired” messages tell me. Apparently it commands a whole two knights with no levies or men-at-arms, so, yeah, i don’t get it.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

theres no holy war cooldown in the game so theres perpetually going to be a holy war and so theyll perpetually be enlisted, and as such will never have time to replenish their levies or MAA.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

How are Holy Order supposed to work? I created one, it immediately got hired, and has been perpetually hired for like twenty years now, or so the constant “Knights Templar have been hired” messages tell me. Apparently it commands a whole two knights with no levies or men-at-arms, so, yeah, i don’t get it.

How they are supposed to work is be a free merc squad that you can hire anytime they aren't hired out for free and force your undesirable sons to join it for the cost of a crappy castle or something.

How it actually works : They are always hired out, you get nothing out of them, they don't upgrade your holding, and I can't find any option to make anyone join their order to be removed from the succession.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dammit, I really wanted those two knights too...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FileNotFound posted:

How they are supposed to work is be a free merc squad that you can hire anytime they aren't hired out for free and force your undesirable sons to join it for the cost of a crappy castle or something.

How it actually works : They are always hired out, you get nothing out of them, they don't upgrade your holding, and I can't find any option to make anyone join their order to be removed from the succession.

Being a sponsor for a holy order should at least give you piety or something when they get hired out. I guess they do give you cash every so often when they want to buy a holding in your territory but this seems unrelated to how often they're being hired.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I have de jure claims on ten counties held by the damnible Swedes that are rightfully part of the Wendish Empire. I have the Divine Right innovation which supposedly lets me assert multiple claims in a war. But the declare war screen will only declare for one county at a time.

Am I missing something here or is the Divine Right innovation bugged/limited in an undocumented way?

Divine Right only lets you press multiple personal claims, such as those fabricated by your priest advisor. The late medievial Innovation Rightful Ownership lets you seize all dejure titles in a single war.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222647541&searchtext=

oh thank god, no more swedish Half of Everywhere

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
well, short of using debug menu or something, I'm pretty sure this run is fuuuuucked.

My ruler died, but at least my idiot son had a good council and the war to get the last Irish county was proceeding smoothly. Then Alba decided to declare a subjugation war on me, and they've got like almost 10 times the troops I do. My alliances are all busted on account of my old king dying and not having had time to rebuild them so I have nobody I can call for support. I've tried restarting the save a couple times to get out from under a negative opinion but I just don't have the time before the war is declared

:rip:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You really shouldn’t worry about losing a war. You made it to King one time, you can do it again!

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Just be a vassal for a bit, it's fun and afaik with subjugation you don't lose any land

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Zohar posted:

Just be a vassal for a bit, it's fun and afaik with subjugation you don't lose any land

I guess I could just see how it goes lol

When you're vassalized, how do you get out from under it? Plots? Marriage lines for your kids?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Skypie posted:

When you're vassalized, how do you get out from under it? Plots? Marriage lines for your kids?

You can either start an independence faction and demand independence when they're weaker or use marriages/the meritocracy perk to wrangle a claim on the throne and take it yourself via a claim faction - if they're 10x stronger than you it's probably wise to stay under them for a bit and work from the inside

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skypie posted:

Depends on where your stengths are. If you're way stronger than the liege you can just declare an independence war, or use the stewardship perk to do a claim throne scheme and get a claim on their title which you then declare war for (which you don't even need to do if you were subjugated - you get a claim on your old titles automatically). If the new liege is really hated you could start a faction to press your claim on the title, although this gives everyone who helps you a weak hook to use against you if it succeeds. You can also marry your way in if you have a very prestigious dynasty since it makes them more willing to accept marriages that will produce kids of your dynasty.

The key thing about CK is that none of these approaches are exclusive. You can pursue all of them and just see which one will pay off first.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fabricate a claim on your liege & kidnap him. Back on top

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Best thing to do is to take advantage of the perks of being a vassal. Conquer your fellow vassals without having to deal with their liege, get some of those really nice feudal contract options and so on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PittTheElder posted:

I'm not ultra sure why your vassals feudalizing on their own is a problem. In my experience this only made them weaker. And I don't think the Byzantines can call crusades, unless they've mass converted to some heresy.

I am getting a -20 diplo penalty for government difference with them. Right now that doesn't matter but I'm going to have a succession in the next few years probably so that stacked with short reign would be a problem.

Also good to know about the Byzantines! I got a holy war declared on me for a duchy but if they can't go Great Holy War level that's one crisis off the table at least

Skypie posted:

well, short of using debug menu or something, I'm pretty sure this run is fuuuuucked.

My ruler died, but at least my idiot son had a good council and the war to get the last Irish county was proceeding smoothly. Then Alba decided to declare a subjugation war on me, and they've got like almost 10 times the troops I do. My alliances are all busted on account of my old king dying and not having had time to rebuild them so I have nobody I can call for support. I've tried restarting the save a couple times to get out from under a negative opinion but I just don't have the time before the war is declared

:rip:

My favorite part of this playthrough so far was getting deposed from the imperial throne and spending a whole lifetime working to claw it back lol

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Given that creating ridiculous stories is fun in CK3, I wouldn't worry about trying to blob too much unless you're specifically trying to conquer the world or reunite Rome or whatever. Lose, get executed, and let your heir get revenge on whoever conquered you by becoming a cannibal and eating their children.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I was terrified of the Byzantine Empire for most of this North African Islamic playthrough, since they landed in Africa early and I wound up going for Italy so we had huge borders, but somehow one of my dynasty members inherited the Byzantine throne. I have no idea how (though I can't keep track of everybody - there are 500 living dynasty members!), but it happened. The Byzantine Empire almost immediately exploded into 4 or 5 different successful rebel kingdoms and everyone adjacent has been eating them alive.

Between that, my conquest of Italy, and the Umayyids getting their poo poo together before the French did and subsequently conquering all the way to Sweden, I think Christianity is donezo in this timeline.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Female dominated is not good because they refuse to marry matrilineally and your vassals do not follow you over to the female dominated succession law it seems. Disappointing. Hope they tweak it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The key thing about CK is that none of these approaches are exclusive. You can pursue all of them and just see which one will pay off first.

Also, be ready to think on your feet when the game throws wrinkles into your Grand Plans.

In my Brittany->Celtic Britannia game I've managed to kick the Vikings off the island except for a few stray counties, and I'd betrothed my grandson to a Scottish princess so he would inherit a claim to Scotland, which at the time had a firm hold on the rest of Britain that I didn't own, so conquering them would let me form the Empire in one fell swoop.

Twenty years later, I'm playing as my son, Scotland's fallen apart and had major duchies inherited away by nobles in Asturias and loving France, and to top things off I made the mistake of landing that grandson (now my heir) after one of my childless brothers got deposed by a revolt in Mercia, the duchy reverted to me, and I wanted to keep Mercia in family hands because it's loving huge and easier to keep the family in line.

Then he decided he could conquer Scotland all on his own (see: Mercia, Swolest Duchy) and got himself killed in the process while all the while refusing to let me ally with him so I could intervene because of the huge penalty for the claims he has on me.

At least his son was able to keep the war even though I can't find the claim to Scotland on his sheet. Maybe he'll let me save him from daddy's dumb decision, but then I have to figure out how to get Moray and Hwicce back. Lucky France has lost Aquitaine (first to Gavelkind, then Vikings started biting off pieces of it) and Asturias is losing ground to the Muslims so it might not be too hard to win but ugh, stupid King Frobert, I should have schemed to replace you sooner!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I thought I was hosed when my Emperor of Italia died and his 1 year old daughter inherited.

Then I thought I was really hosed when one of my vassals that hated me forced himself in as Spymaster.

No worries, took the tyranny penalty for imprisoning the spymaster, kicking off a civil war. Called in all my Karling bros in East and West Francia, Aquitane, and Bavaria to help me fight the rebels.

Won the war, kept everyone that rebelled in prison indefinitely, got Diligent/Ambitious/Trusting and Midas Touched for a great stats base.

Turned 16 already having a significant long ruler bonus, and then a month after I turned 16 a crusade kicked off and I got a bunch of gold, piety, and prestige and put my Aunt on the throne of Lotharingia after wresting it from the godless Swedes.

Now at 25 I'm one of the best statted leaders in Europe, and halfway from Exalted to Living Legend :toot:

Still not sure how I'm going to deal with the Byzantines though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hryme posted:

Female dominated is not good because they refuse to marry matrilineally and your vassals do not follow you over to the female dominated succession law it seems. Disappointing. Hope they tweak it.

Yeah this is a big problem that's inherited from CK2. It's really a shame and I don't know how it fails to work, since I assume it would work off just mirroring whatever the male code is to make them not dumb.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Actually falling under Alba might give me some time to figure out how to deal with West Francia because they control basically everything in northwestern mainland Europe. Like, they've just blobbed from France into Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany

Out of irritation that they'd touched onto England, I murdered their king even though it didn't really accomplish anything. Though it may have broken their alliance to the Byzantines since he was betrothed to a Byzantine princess

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My hispania game continues to go better than any game I've had. Random women showed up to court with a claim on Scotland. Quick assassination later it was pressable. One of the newly acquired vassals had a claim on enough of Ireland to form that kingdom and everyone else accepted vassalization. The last of which had a claim on all of Wales so that got absorbed.

The Queen of Scotland then died and her son has a claim on all of France so that's about to get eaten.

Not sure I've ever had a game that kept having things fall into place as cleanly.

That said the fervor system is just bad, it's like 50 years to convert anything. Half the empire is Muslim and insular and sundry heresies.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the way to painlessly feudalize is use your incredibly powerful tribal status to go steal poo poo from people who are feudal. you dont destroy temples or cities or castles by owning them or anything. go do a invasion or a kingdom level holy war then swap. its even easier if you switch to their culture after since established feudal cultures are going to have way more innovations and will probably tech faster too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

I thought I was hosed when my Emperor of Italia died and his 1 year old daughter inherited.

Then I thought I was really hosed when one of my vassals that hated me forced himself in as Spymaster.

No worries, took the tyranny penalty for imprisoning the spymaster, kicking off a civil war. Called in all my Karling bros in East and West Francia, Aquitane, and Bavaria to help me fight the rebels.

Won the war, kept everyone that rebelled in prison indefinitely, got Diligent/Ambitious/Trusting and Midas Touched for a great stats base.

Turned 16 already having a significant long ruler bonus, and then a month after I turned 16 a crusade kicked off and I got a bunch of gold, piety, and prestige and put my Aunt on the throne of Lotharingia after wresting it from the godless Swedes.

Now at 25 I'm one of the best statted leaders in Europe, and halfway from Exalted to Living Legend :toot:

Still not sure how I'm going to deal with the Byzantines though.

Yeah inheriting as a kid, if you can survive the initial instability, is a great recipe for an absolutely legendary leader. This is the guy that I had ultimately form the empire of India:

This was taken about a decade after doing that. I took over as him when he was 10 because his mother was assassinated almost immediately after taking the throne and he hit "religious icon" in his 40s. He's got two stats in the 30s and doesn't even have a tier-4 education!