Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pixelante posted:

Some neat behind the scenes stuff about that poor whale.

50 feet long 10 feet high with anatomically correct insides!

They built the set for the Hughie scenes inside it!

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bioshuffle posted:

It's pretty clear most of you are not open to the idea that there are multiple ways to interpret and analyze shows, but I know I'm not alone in how I feel, and I'll leave it at that.

I was surprised to see the second season rated so lowly on Amazon, but it looks like most of the one star ratings are from people who are angry they didn't release all the episodes at the same time.

I wonder if they're trying to stagger it out due to the slowed production schedule.

That's how the alt right works. They couch their racism to make it more palatable to a broader audience to pull people in, make them think it's all about self-actualization when really it's just a screen for racism.

The character was depicted with that in mind. All the writers, directors, producers, and the actress have said that's exactly what they were going for. You're not reading far enough into it so you're making the mistake of buying the lie.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/OUGPyw2.gifv

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, assuming you're not just a parody, I really want to know how you square the whole, "She's not necessarily a racist" thing with the racist slur she lets out at the end when she kills Kenji (Kimiko's brother). You seem to be purposefully not mentioning it so far, and you have to understand why no one is going to take you seriously while that's true.
Since you asked.

The show is laden with all types of profanity. Butcher drops the c word like it's going out of style, but it doesn't mean he's misogynist. He clearly cares about his wife. I think for the first time, we're seeing a superhero equivalent for Butcher. A superhero who is vulgar and bullheaded and isn't afraid to say things to get under people's skin.

We also have to distinguish between the fact that she clearly views him as a terrorist. It's not as if she just found a random asian person on the street corner, this is someone who she holds a great deal of disdain for. Once again, see what I referenced about the WWII propaganda against Japanese people. It really fits the show's theme to the T. Recall that Homelander prefered to use America instead of world. Also note that a lot of times, military personnel are trained to view the adversary as inhuman.

We spend so much time seeing Kimiko's brother causing all kinds of problems for Butcher's crew, and it was interesting to see how she doesn't view him as any kind of threat. She doesn't view him as a worthy adversary, she views him as an inconvenience. This makes her a great villain in my book.

Obviously the term she uses is extremely racist, but I think she really enjoys tormenting and playing around with people (look at how she talks to Starlight for example, or even her first introduction where she openly mocks Homelander). She doesn't say those things because she's a racist, she says it to be as insulting as possible before killing someone. Then again, I've read the comic book series, so that may be influencing how I view the characters.

I agree that she is an awful person, but in so far as the whole racism goes, I'm going to withhold my judgement until we see some more episodes. I'm really confused by all the open hostility. Any form of art is open to interpretation. I don't see the point in attacking someone just because they view things differently. To each their own I guess.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess the red text is accurate.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bioshuffle posted:

Obviously the term she uses is extremely racist, but I think she really enjoys tormenting and playing around with people (look at how she talks to Starlight for example, or even her first introduction where she openly mocks Homelander). She doesn't say those things because she's a racist, she says it to be as insulting as possible before killing someone. Then again, I've read the comic book series, so that may be influencing how I view the characters.

I agree that she is an awful person, but in so far as the whole racism goes, I'm going to withhold my judgement until we see some more episodes. I'm really confused by all the open hostility. Any form of art is open to interpretation. I don't see the point in attacking someone just because they view things differently. To each their own I guess.

When you say something racist to be as insulting as possible, you are still being racist.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

I wouldn't be surprised if Homelander opens a milkbank charity for nursing mothers at some point in the show. Just a commercial on in the background.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem :rolleye:

Back on topic, I hate how much screen time they're wasting on the deep. I was hoping Butcher would put an end to him, but I guess he was protected by plot armor. Isn't he extremely vulnerable outside his ability to swim fast and communicate with animals? Or is the reason he was spared due to him not wanting to cause even more issues with the people he was looking to get help from?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sending him away never to return is easier than rehabilitation and also doesn’t invite people to ask “well gee, The Deep, just how many women have you assaulted?”

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
What’s your problem with The Deep? I mean, are we *sure* he’s a sexual predator? There’s just no way to be certain really, we shouldn’t jump to conclusions :ohdear:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

they got probed multiple times for being a bootlicker lmao. not surprised.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

unlimited shrimp posted:

I think anyone who doesn't see that Stormfront's murders in the apartment were racially motivated is being a contrarian, but what does remain to be seen is whether the writers are going to do anything interesting with it, or if she'll just be a cookie cutter white supremacist.

In fairness, I don't think mainstream knowledge of Nazi iconography goes further than the swastika.

Clearly her killing spree was racial, but for people who don't recognize that she's dressed like a billboard for the Fourth Reich (a large fraction of the audience, I suspect), I think that "reveal" is still coming in the next episode or so.

quote:

like I'm hoping it's more interesting than "what if a millenial social media star was ALSO a secret nazi???"

I'm really hoping they don't connect her feminism or other progressiveness to being a secret Nazi and give the alt-right a meme to blast out every time someone mentions Elizabeth Warren.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They will come up with memes no matter what we make or how hard the things we create make fun of them. They are all little pisspigs, oinking and rolling in their slop.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

In fairness, I don't think mainstream knowledge of Nazi iconography goes further than the swastika.

Clearly her killing spree was racial, but for people who don't recognize that she's dressed like a billboard for the Fourth Reich (a large fraction of the audience, I suspect), I think that "reveal" is still coming in the next episode or so.

I'm really hoping they don't connect her feminism or other progressiveness to being a secret Nazi and give the alt-right a meme to blast out every time someone mentions Elizabeth Warren.

The "reveal" came when using a slur while killing someone. No need to have it explained further. (I get what you're saying though. They're gonna show an already lovely person be even shittier).

But yea I agree, trying to characterize or make someone like that relatable or even sympathetic would be a lovely thing to do. Nazi gonna nazi. That's all they need to do for us to know she's a garbage person and hopefully have Kimiko whoop her rear end in a spectacular fashion.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What time do new episodes of shows show up on Amazon?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

They dropped Thursday last week right? I wonder if that was just a special early release because it was the season premiere.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Probably midnight PST

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

As Nero Danced posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Homelander opens a milkbank charity for nursing mothers at some point in the show. Just a commercial on in the background.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

That's how the alt right works. They couch their racism to make it more palatable to a broader audience to pull people in, make them think it's all about self-actualization when really it's just a screen for racism.

The character was depicted with that in mind. All the writers, directors, producers, and the actress have said that's exactly what they were going for. You're not reading far enough into it so you're making the mistake of buying the lie.

Not really. It's not like she was shown to be making oblique references to right wing talking points, or trying to rationalize her bigotry. If you weren't primed by her name or comics knowledge then the apartment incident was a real heel turn.

Avasculous posted:

I disagree. Lots of people have goldfish memories and they don't really internalize the horrors of (e.g.) the Obama presidency, especially when you have someone like Trump running around being so bombastic about what the Democrats do more politely. I'm much more interested in a character that tries to show how various "progressive" -isms are compatible with racism, than I am with a character who is a secret nazi who only pretends to be politically correct.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't see the point in attacking someone just because they view things differently.

insert calm hitler meme here.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

unlimited shrimp posted:

Not really. It's not like she was shown to be making oblique references to right wing talking points, or trying to rationalize her bigotry. If you weren't primed by her name or comics knowledge then the apartment incident was a real heel turn.
Not sure why people are suddenly claiming she is the second coming of Hitler. Not everything has to be motivated by some political agenda. Sometimes, characters are evil just for the sake of being evil. :shrug: When politics gets forcefully infused into a show just for the sake of being relevant and appealing to the woke crowd, terrible things happen. Need I remind you of the poo poo storm that was the Watchmen TV series?

It's really interesting to see people get so upset when others don't share their viewpoint. I can't imagine what the Sopranos thread must have been like during the series finale.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bioshuffle posted:

Not sure why people are suddenly claiming she is the second coming of Hitler. Not everything has to be motivated by some political agenda. Sometimes, characters are evil just for the sake of being evil. :shrug: When politics gets forcefully infused into a show just for the sake of being relevant and appealing to the woke crowd, terrible things happen. Need I remind you of the poo poo storm that was the Watchmen TV series?

It's really interesting to see people get so upset when others don't share their viewpoint. I can't imagine what the Sopranos thread must have been like during the series finale.

gently caress off, racist

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bioshuffle posted:

Forcefully infuse yourself out of the thread.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Bioshuffle posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This derail is laaaame

fake edit:

Piell posted:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mitch McConnell can't be racist, he has an Asian wife@!

I don't know what's sadder: the idea someone would troll this thread on this dead forum or the idea that someone might really hold these opinions.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, assuming you're not just a parody, I really want to know how you square the whole, "She's not necessarily a racist" thing with the racist slur she lets out at the end when she kills Kenji (Kimiko's brother). You seem to be purposefully not mentioning it so far, and you have to understand why no one is going to take you seriously while that's true.

I'm sure it's just because Kenji was a major player on the baseball team, The Yellows, and she also knew that his mom had an affair. It's actually a powerful moment revealing this info to the audience and the siblings.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Piell posted:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bioshuffle posted:

You're dumb and also the show cannot be divorced from politics because it is explicitly political. The guy wears a loving American flag as a cape.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hey guys maybe stop feeding the trolls in this thread about a comic book TV show.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
This is like arguing with Ben Shapiro without the benefit of being able to laugh at Ben when you're done.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

This is like arguing with Ben Shapiro without the benefit of being able to laugh at Ben when you're done.

?? You can laugh. I still think the bit about “Jewish actors shouldn’t be allowed to play nazis” was sublime

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Put the troll on ignore and move on.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
this post is making me more mad than any of the other ones

Bioshuffle posted:

When using a push mower, is it ok to turn the mower while the blades are spinning?

I'm used to cutting in straight rows, and on my riding mower I could just disengage the blades to line up the mower. On my push mower, I don't see a way to disengage the blades from spinning. This means if I get to the end of the row, I have to either turn the whole thing off and restart it, go backwards, or awkwardly turn the whole thing while the blades are spinning.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Judging by all the derailing posts and personal insults, it appears to me like you guys are turning into the very thing you're accusing me of.

All I want to do is discuss the show. I don't think she's racist. I'm allowed to have opinions. If you disagree, that's great. There's really no need for this level of hostility.

Seriously.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

... Anyway stan Kimiko

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Am I the only one who thought the black noir kimiko and the fight from last episode were terribly done. There's some cool stuff in last episodes with the effects and destruction but anytime it comes close to hand to hand range it's a dozen quick cuts that look horrible.

Showrunners need to hire the guys who did the starz spartacus so we can finally get good fights on tv again.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Am I the only one who thought the black noir kimiko and the fight from last episode were terribly done. There's some cool stuff in last episodes with the effects and destruction but anytime it comes close to hand to hand range it's a dozen quick cuts that look horrible.

Showrunners need to hire the guys who did the starz spartacus so we can finally get good fights on tv again.

Or the people that did the Banshee fights (which the guy that plays Homelander is the main character in).

Seriously, watch Banshee.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I actually saw a neat little video about how Jackie Chan used to film his action sequences. They even contrasted it with the modern style of hard fast cuts and why it's inferior. It's worth a view if you're interested in that kind of thing. Skip to about 5:20 for the relevant stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Even if they're poorly done, I can't complain any time black noir gets screen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

The fights in Daredevil are the gold standard, especially the later seasons

The long-take stuff is insane