Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Boot and Rally posted:

I'm not sure I understand the seduction perk tree, or seduction of people that aren't currently your spouse in general. The only two things I can see it doing are:
1) It is funny to sleep with your enemy's spouse
2) You're not getting kids from your spouse and need to legitimize a bastard or two
2a) Maybe someone else has better traits than your spouse and you want those in your dynasty or something?

Am I missing some cool way to turn seduction into renown or title claims?

Could you not seduce people in an enemy court to make them easy accomplices in murder schemes and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I didn’t even realise this was out til a friend mentioned it yesterday.

They’ve knocked it out of the loving park, this is insanely good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mrs. Dash posted:

Could you not seduce people in an enemy court to make them easy accomplices in murder schemes and stuff?

Seduce or fabricate hooks or just search for secrets in the court and hope you get someone relevant

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Still not sure how I'm going to deal with the Byzantines though.

Seduce all your close relatives and then marry off all your cripplingly inbred bastards to them in order to ruin their bloodlines.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Is there a negative to having many kingdom titles like there is with holding too many duchies?

I am currently the Byzantine emperor and all of my vassals are dukes with the exception of my heir who holds one kingdom (figured that's good for prestige growth before I play as them). I have about 3 kingdoms myself i've inherited/acquired through expansion/marriage. I can create about 15 kingdom titles but I'm holding off until it's really necessary and will use those as a bargaining chip for when vassals start rising up or i need to make someone happy.

I figure it's better to just sit on those titles you can create and have dozens of dukes under me. If it all goes belly up I can sit on my personally owned duchys/counties which I've developed the hell out of.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I seduced the holy roman emperor's wife and he found out immediately. He imprisoned and executed her so I knew what was up when he demanded to imprison ME so off to independence war we went. He actually didn't have that much bigger of an army than me at first and I won a few lucky victories before he doubled his forces with mercs. I engaged in guerilla warfare long enough to assassinate him. Still lost the war but his 12 year old son threw me in prison for like 5 minutes before letting me out and making me his spymaster (despite me being a diplomat). Good stuff. When I actually go for independence for real, it's gonna be tough because even this kid has a ton of troops now. I'd love a good martial ruler but it's like my whole dynasty wants to be a diplomat.

One thing I'm unsure of-- I had a hook on the old emperor that would give me a pardon for my crimes, but you can't use it during war. If I just surrendered and then used the hook before he killed me, would I be let out of prison?

Now I'm in a race with the clock for my 45 year old drunken ruler to get high partition before he dies (current estimate: 12 years). I also noticed that I can choose my heir now, though I'm not sure why. My current heir is decent but he's already 30ish so I might switch to my intelligent teen daughter.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Fists Up posted:

Is there a negative to having many kingdom titles like there is with holding too many duchies?

I am currently the Byzantine emperor and all of my vassals are dukes with the exception of my heir who holds one kingdom (figured that's good for prestige growth before I play as them). I have about 3 kingdoms myself i've inherited/acquired through expansion/marriage. I can create about 15 kingdom titles but I'm holding off until it's really necessary and will use those as a bargaining chip for when vassals start rising up or i need to make someone happy.

I figure it's better to just sit on those titles you can create and have dozens of dukes under me. If it all goes belly up I can sit on my personally owned duchys/counties which I've developed the hell out of.

There's no penalty, it's just vassal management since it's easier to keep a handful of vassal kings happy and out of factions than a multitude of counts and dukes.

I did watch a video that points out that as an empire-sized power you are actually better off not having any vassals at all and instead hold every province personally, because the domain limit penalty caps at -90%. A count gives 10% of his income to his duke, the duke gives 10% to his king, the king gives 10% to his emperor -- by the time that gold gets to you there's very little left of it, as opposed to you simply holding everything and taking the 10% income/levy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Promethium posted:

I did watch a video that points out that as an empire-sized power you are actually better off not having any vassals at all and instead hold every province personally, because the domain limit penalty caps at -90%. A count gives 10% of his income to his duke, the duke gives 10% to his king, the king gives 10% to his emperor -- by the time that gold gets to you there's very little left of it, as opposed to you simply holding everything and taking the 10% income/levy.

I mean, technically yeah, but that essentially deletes most of the game except for map painting. If that's your thing go for it, but it's not really what the game was designed for.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am getting a -20 diplo penalty for government difference with them. Right now that doesn't matter but I'm going to have a succession in the next few years probably so that stacked with short reign would be a problem.

lol I loving loaded my game and died instantly, goddamn

14 years old, at least I'm content honest gregarious?

I feel like there should be some options to pave the way for my heir that I'm maybe missing? At least tell my best friend "please don't hate my grandson"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I was playing as a duke in switzerland and i seiged a single province during the crusade and now my daughter is queen of jerusalem how did that happen

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Don't worry, she'll convert and be sultana in a few years.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stairmaster posted:

I was playing as a duke in switzerland and i seiged a single province during the crusade and now my daughter is queen of jerusalem how did that happen

Was that single province Jerusalem, it'd be a lot of war score on it's own. That's how I won it in ck2 the first time, my little 400 stack arrived first and I got credit for the whole siege and suddenly the count of Desmond was the king of Jerusalem, which didn't end well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh christ I thought I might be able to stabilize with my 28 Diplomacy chancellor doing Domestic diplomacy... but she also kicked the bucket a few months after her best friend :smith:

Now I have to decide between putting my 20 Diplomacy aunt who I had just mollified by granting a duchy... or my 10 diplomacy vassal who is angry he's not on the council.

Meanwhile I betrothed myself to the highest Intrigue eligible lady I could find, who was a random sister of a Welsh count, on the basis that I am going to need to get myself some help from not dying since my hook-locked spymaster is -84 to me

Once again I am counting the days until I come of age and can use +opinion decisions to get these vassals back in the green... or else deplete my Feudalization fund...

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I’ve been seeing quite a bit of squabbling between a few of my vassals, am I wrong in just sort of ignoring it/being okay with it since i don’t mind them being a little bit weakened in case they start trying to go to war with me?

I have no idea if I’ve been handing out titles properly. I have one kingdom and could almost form a second, I am holding two duchy titles and as much land in those duchies as I can. I have a couple other dukes who are also holding 1 and sometimes 2 titles within their own duchies. Also a few counts that just have some leftovers. Is it okay for a count to have a county in duchy A, and one in duchy B or should I keep their holdings inside of one de Jure duchy?

I also currently have the votes to inherit HRE, I thought maybe I’d try to stab the current emperor but my horrible intrigue gives me a 5% shot so drat

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol I loving loaded my game and died instantly, goddamn

14 years old, at least I'm content honest gregarious?

I feel like there should be some options to pave the way for my heir that I'm maybe missing? At least tell my best friend "please don't hate my grandson"

Playing underaged heirs own actually. You can still declare war unlike in a EU4 regency and you get so many events that let you optimize the hell out of your character (for flavour or power)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^^ you also get to experience 1 year old child prophets and being bullied by toddlers

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh christ I thought I might be able to stabilize with my 28 Diplomacy chancellor doing Domestic diplomacy... but she also kicked the bucket a few months after her best friend :smith:

Now I have to decide between putting my 20 Diplomacy aunt who I had just mollified by granting a duchy... or my 10 diplomacy vassal who is angry he's not on the council.

Meanwhile I betrothed myself to the highest Intrigue eligible lady I could find, who was a random sister of a Welsh count, on the basis that I am going to need to get myself some help from not dying since my hook-locked spymaster is -84 to me

Once again I am counting the days until I come of age and can use +opinion decisions to get these vassals back in the green... or else deplete my Feudalization fund...

I think with a hook lock you can still reassign him. Better an angry 3 skill steward than spymaster

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Azhais posted:

^^^ you also get to experience 1 year old child prophets and being bullied by toddlers

I think with a hook lock you can still reassign him. Better an angry 3 skill steward than spymaster

I think it depends.I had my 6 intrigue brother use a hook to keep a 25 year spot specifically as spymaster. Unless I misread the tooltip... I don’t think I tried going to another position and seeing if I could assign him to it. I think he demanded spymaster though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

God I wish I didn't have to let my idiot grandson from my dead oldest son inherit my kingdom, as opposed to my two cool as gently caress other sons. I died and now I have no income and my army has been cut in half and everything is ruled by this idiot who nobody likes. Even his own wife hates him.

Can I disinherit a whole branch of my family at once for future reference?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
TIL, don't form Portugal past the early game. It'll reset your whole tech tree.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Azhais posted:

Oh thank you, this was a huge relief. My spouse has 19 intrigue and positive opinion so I hope that should also help.

Anyway I decided to galaxy brain and granted independence to the biggest and unhappiest members of the faction in order to stop widespread rebellion. This also has the double benefit of sealing myself off from the Byzantines and also maybe in ten years I can unfuck the county-level ownership of my primary kingdom.

Who knows, maybe the newly independent kingdoms will also weaken each other?

Also, feels bad that I ended up feudalizing because I thought I had hit the end of the tribal innovations? But there's a separate unlock period for the next era and right now it will take 16 years lol

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I was reading up on Clan government mechanics. Does anyone know if Dread affects how much money/levy your vassals give you for a Clan government? Since it's not mentioned I'm assuming no, but it also seems weird that a terrified vassal would refuse to provide tax/troops to their scary liege. Anyone know for sure?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

What exactly is the impact of clicking the "grant to low noble" button with a castle holding? As it picks from random does this just end up finding me some more potential vassals who I can eventually elevate?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fists Up posted:

What exactly is the impact of clicking the "grant to low noble" button with a castle holding? As it picks from random does this just end up finding me some more potential vassals who I can eventually elevate?

I think it just flat out creates a vassal. One that never seems to have kids because I keep getting the drat castle back every 30 years.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Ice Fist posted:

God I wish I didn't have to let my idiot grandson from my dead oldest son inherit my kingdom, as opposed to my two cool as gently caress other sons. I died and now I have no income and my army has been cut in half and everything is ruled by this idiot who nobody likes. Even his own wife hates him.

Can I disinherit a whole branch of my family at once for future reference?

You can murder plot a grand child without any special trait (unlike a direct child). Babies at your court should be very easy to murder.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Azhais posted:

I usually just eat the tyranny and lock these fuckers in jail. Prisoners can’t be councilors.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Can you fabricate or get the pope to give you a claim on an entire kingdom?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh lol feudalizing means that my army shrunk by 2/3s (even accounting for the independents leaving) and now I'm getting wardecced by other kingdoms that I had previously consider non-entities, great

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I have a question on Seniority succession.

My brother-in-law is in a matrilineal marriage with my sister, and they have kids of my dynasty. Through some fluke, he's next up in line for what will be a considerable amount of territory (duchies) outside of my Kingdom.

Giving him a Barony or some such in my Kingdom will ensure that those lands are brought into my Kingdom when he inherits, correct?

Assuming so, his house only has 5 other members, and no other houses in his dynasty. Should everyone else in his house have untimely accidents, would the titles then default to his children even though they're of my dynasty?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is the stat points for friendships perk broken? My king has 20 active friendships and pretty good stats, but nothing close to what it feels like he should have from that, especially factoring in the points from children that he definitely is getting.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

You can get a claim on a kingdom from the Pope, but only if you are not already a king.

Unrelated, man the AI really needs to be fixed to understand equal inheritance. So many times I've put family members on the throne of a kingdom only for them to just piss it away in a generation or two marrying off their firstborn daughter in a non-matrilineal marriage to secure a vital alliance with some random count.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

twistedmentat posted:

Yes and yes.

Fabricate (through intrigue) I'm not sure about, but the Meritocracy perk in stewardship allows you a plot to get a claim against your own liege, whatever their rank may be. Meanwhile, The Pope penalizes you if you request claims that are beneath your size.

You can also use the Sanctioned Loopholes perk to buy claims on, you know, whatever. Including kingdoms, including Empires, sure why the hell not. Costs 2000 piety for an empire, if you're interested.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know I was just replying to someone facing setbacks with "just roll with the punches" but lol this Feudalism trap is pretty lovely. I have an empire title spanning half the continent with four king-level vassals and I have fewer troops than my former duke who broke away from the king I granted independence to.

I have 8 gold and am making -0.1 per month...

Like the benefit of feudalism is also in continuing the tech tree but it's gonna take me 7 years just to unlock the opportunity to start researching new techs like some kind of pyramid scheme

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah I was hoping I could claim Mercia that revolted against Alba and I wouldn't have to take it piecemeal.

It's a moot point though, because ALL 3 of my sons died in quick succession to diseases and falling into a pond. So now what was a secure line of succession is now gone and my sister the Duchess of Brittany is going to inherate the throne, but killing myself shows that means I stop running England and start running Brittany which is basically at war with everyone constantly becuase its the only Norse held land left in Western Europe. My former queens son becomes king of england for some reason (also the banner switches from the Dragon to the more familiar 3 lions, i don't know what caused that).

Also It's super annoying to have a religion that no one else has, and your vassels are constantly plotting against you. I can't seem to figure out how to convert from Insular Christianity to Catholicism. I just barely stopped 2 revolts because no one else in my kingdom is one except my family. Why can't I choose to convert?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 11, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Man... My wives keep finding attractive men to seduce while I keep getting hit on by old ladies with lover's pox. It's not fair!

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
I've had probably the best Crusader Kings yet (counting the ~ 450 hours in CK2 in here too) experience yesterday evening. I started as Capua in 1066 and I'm now around 1360, playing as the holy roman emperor and pope of my custom heresy. My only remaining goal for this game is reforming the Roman Empire, which means that I have to conquer the Byzantines. Conveniently, I'm married to the future Byzantine empress (she had about 4 sisters and only one brother who "mysteriously" died). Also of note, I removed the princely elective law ever since I took the emperor title a few generations ago, so succession is by primogeniture.

My wife gave birth to two sons and two daughters. My heir, the eldest has decent stats, but the second, which is about 10 years younger, has both comely and quick, which makes me like him a bit better. The difference between them is not that big to care about... until I get conclusive proof that my heir is not actually my son. At this point I decide to get rid of him. Soon after, my wife's father dies and she becomes Byzantine empress. Normally, disinheriting should do the trick, only this guy is in line for both my titles and my wife's titles, and I'm pretty sure disinheriting him would still leave him a future Byzantine emperor.

I try to kill him via the old "suicide into a huge stack trick", but the bastard just survives three such attempts. By the time I can try the fourth time, my wife mysteriously dies and my son becomes the Byzantine emperor... and promptly marries one of his aunts. By this time I'm resigned to get rid of him by any means necessary. A few months later, one of my daughters is killed, seemingly by the same assassin, which leaves a mysterious note saying essentially "you'll never catch me" and "I'll kill your whole family". The event says the handwriting on the note looks like that of one of my vassals (a giant mayor). I promptly excommunicate, imprison, then torture him to death.

Meanwhile, my son's wife/aunt gives birth to a son, which I promptly assassinate (remember, I would still like my second son to inherit everything). I then realize that being head of faith (I guess) gives me a subjugation CB on the Byzantine Empire), which I promptly follow with a war that lands my eldest son in jail (though still controlling about a third of the empire as King of Sahara) and gives me the title of Byzantine emperor. Meanwhile, his wife pops a second son, which I also kill. Now, the situation is simple. I disinherit the bastard, leaving him in jail, with no heirs, and all his titles going to me upon death.

The story doesn't end yet... a year or so later I get another note from my wife's and daughter's killer, apparently the poor mayor I tortured wasn't the killer. The handwriting now seems to look like that of my older son! I confront him in jail and he confesses to killing both his mother and sister. At this point I'm stunned and amazed. I only wish I could say to the fucker "and I killed both your sons!". I can't execute him as that would make me a kinslayer and give me large penalties with my family. I've resigned to keep him in jail until I get the "1 year until death" prompt and then casually torture and execute him. Awesome moment overall.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Any idea why I can't have my spouse assist me with stuff? I don't think he has any conditions that would incapacitate him or otherwise keep him from being able to help. I specifically married him for his high Stewardship, dammit!

I tried to divorce him like I did the last time this happened in a different game, but now I'm Catholic instead of god-king of a reformed Slavic religion and the Pope won't let me.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Softface posted:

Any idea why I can't have my spouse assist me with stuff? I don't think he has any conditions that would incapacitate him or otherwise keep him from being able to help. I specifically married him for his high Stewardship, dammit!

I tried to divorce him like I did the last time this happened in a different game, but now I'm Catholic instead of god-king of a reformed Slavic religion and the Pope won't let me.

Spouses that have titles in their own right can't assist you, they've got their own poo poo to do

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That tribal former duke has managed to blob up in the heart of my empire because he has more troops than the rest of us combined.

I guess this is supposed to represent the upheaval of changing social mores and relationships between rulers and ruled but lol that everyone has become guessilljustdie.jpg

If I had known that feudalists were weak as gently caress for at least half a century I wouldn't have cared about the diplo penalty, I would have stayed tribal and just beat them up

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is that Sahara section like actual counties if so hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Solemn Sloth posted:

Spouses that have titles in their own right can't assist you, they've got their own poo poo to do

Thanks! I'll either wait for him to die since he's like 30 years older than my ruler or do my best to get him killed in an upcoming war.