Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

LifeLynx posted:

The graphics are stylish, but the pixels hurt my eyes. I can't play full screen at 1440p. Can't even imagine how much it would hurt on a 4k display. If this was on the Switch already, it'd be perfect. Smaller screens really make the details better, but the pixel art doesn't scale well at all.
I don't think pixels are the problem. I think the issue is how heavy handed the game's blur effects are (I know Octopath did this first, but there's something off about it here imo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Zedlic posted:

Back from giving Caves of Qud yet another chance, and again I come back with the impression that there's a magnificent game there underneath a dogshit unusable UI. I have no idea how anyone can play this, it's like the UI is trying to be as convoluted and inconsistent as possible. Even for a roguelike UI this is an impressively tall pile of poo poo.

Like, moving the sidebar automatically to the right or left side of the screen is the stupidest UI decision I can imagine. Why of course I like to not have a consistent place for important information in my interface! Please, move it around based on my actions that imply no intent whatsoever in making changes to the UI. Such a programmer thing to do. "Look at your sidebar. It is either on the left or the right side of the screen, depending on where your character is in the world. That's a normal thing to design for humans."

CoQ has a UI revamp coming up so maybe you want to wait for that. I'd try enabling the overlay UI in the options though, I believe it doesn't have the left/right sidebar.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Octopath made everything look like you were playing through vaseline so it wasn't any better really.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

Tagichatn posted:

CoQ has a UI revamp coming up so maybe you want to wait for that. I'd try enabling the overlay UI in the options though, I believe it doesn't have the left/right sidebar.

I added some edits; the overlay UI is somehow worse. There you can choose between a fixed overlay sidebar that always covers a side of the screen, or some weird floating combat log / sidebar that shows a seemingly random number of lines, weirdly shifted towards the horizontal center of the screen, and only allows for vertical positioning.

All I want is the old UI with a sidebar that does not stupidly try to be smart by jumping around when I move my character from one tile to the next.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Tagichatn posted:

I'll echo this post because I was gonna write the same thing. Overlay UI is so much better, but still has a couple pieces of jank. The UI revamp looks absolutely stellar, so just wait for that if it's a problem.

EDIT: I found the problems you mention with the overlay UI not so bad, but I know that I'm someone who can tolerate those things. Sounds like waiting is the best option, Qud really is an amazing game.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Yeah this definitely bothers me more than most people for some reason. The best thing I could configure was this, where the combat log is either a few lines on the far left side of the screen, or a few lines slightly right of center of the screen depending on where I happen to be moving. And I can only move it up or down, no more customization possible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Turn on pre release stage screen

I made a post about it somewhere in the qud thread with pics

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

At first I had the same issues with that, where the sidebar jumped around but moving the window and/or resizing it disabled that. This is the best I can come up with, and I think I can live with this. The bottom left part will just have to be occluded by the combat log, I'll much rather live with that than having the UI travel places.

Edit: Oh god the combat log box started moving around again. This is like some cruel joke.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 9, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Hackan Slash posted:

I'm in the middle of my second Star Renegades run, just beat the second behemoth which killed me the first time.

How you feel about the combat will make or break your feelings about the game, because it's 90% of it. Luckily I'm really digging it. The main gameplay mechanic is manipulating the action order to deny enemies their turn. Attacks all have a wind up time and an amount they'll delay the targets turn. There's also armor/shields/health that work differently so different types of attacks/status are needed depending on the enemies amount of each. It reminds me of One Step from Eden, that was mega man battle network combat turned up to eleven while this is same for turn based combat.

Oh, another thing to point out to people turned off by rpg combat is that there's no consumables and you have regenerating shields.

I'm actually really curious to see how subsequent runs feel for it. I actually, through a little luck and some great synergies in my first party, managed to get through the entire thing in my first run, going about five hours. There were some skin-of-my-teeth victories on the first and second goliaths, but then it all clicked and I had a perfect tank-DPS-healer party running (well, shield-buffer; I don't know how much actual health-healing you can pull off in-game).

My second party is still on the first world and is NOWHERE near as solid initially starting off. The game also does some interesting stuff in keeping you from relying on your MVPs in future runs so you have to mix it up a little. Won't go too deep into that for spoiler reasons, if anyone cares about spoilers in this particular thing.

Agreed that the writing is terrible, but the gameplay so far is actually a big step-up from Halcyon 6. I just wish they could get writers who could get me to give a drat about the settings they create, because they certainly LOOK good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zedlic posted:

Back from giving Caves of Qud yet another chance, and again I come back with the impression that there's a magnificent game there underneath a dogshit unusable UI. I have no idea how anyone can play this, it's like the UI is trying to be as convoluted and inconsistent as possible. Even for a roguelike UI this is an impressively tall pile of poo poo.

go spend like 10 hours each playing Nethack and ADOM and then come back here and complain about CoQ's UI

it's up to you to decide whether this is a lesson in humility for you, or a lesson in how badly Stockholm Syndrome has affected old school roguelike players, but either way it should go some length towards explaining :v:

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

I actually have few problems with Nethack's UI; it's convoluted but consistent about it. Same with Crawl, haven't played ADOM in any capacity yet though.

In any case I gave up on Qud for now and switched to CD:DA instead, and boy is that an ascii user interface that is a joy to use.

Edit: Also want to compliment Dungeonmans on a very well designed and polished UI.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 10, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Star Renegades was just added to Game Pass if anyone was on the fence about it and already has Game Pass.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this roguelite fps called Roboquest came out recently and I just found it and it's really fun. it's got really good feeling guns and charming graphics and is surprisingly polished

https://store.steampowered.com/app/692890/Roboquest/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

this roguelite fps called Roboquest came out recently and I just found it and it's really fun. it's got really good feeling guns and charming graphics and is surprisingly polished

I actually wanted to ask about this game, in specific, ask people also playing Gunfire Reborn, as it seems there is a big overlap (watching casually some videos in YT).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Turin Turambar posted:

I actually wanted to ask about this game, in specific, ask people also playing Gunfire Reborn, as it seems there is a big overlap (watching casually some videos in YT).

Looks pretty drat fun, probably another game in the same vein I'd love to play. It costs twice as much which is a bit of a downside but it does seem to have a bit more polish and a better roadmap (read: actually has a roadmap) so you can see what they have planned. I'll probably pick it up and give it a whirl.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The only reason I haven't picked up Roboquest is because I already have Gunfire Reborn and I already don't play that because of how its Early Access

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Someone needs to make a roguelike where the @ is your Roomba and the room is the dungeon

pets and babies are dragons and demons

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I went through some of my old Steam games last night and tried out FTL again. I liked Into the Breach actually a lot, but wow FTL really hasn't aged well at all.

It's simultaneously very easy (less so if you don't use spacebar pausing) and very very difficult. The game is insanely stingy with Scrap, you're just barely able to scrape by unless you run a boarding attack ship which get much higher rewards for clearing out a ship's crew vs. destroying the ship itself.

Events are boring, samey, and largely deterministic. There's no real decisionmaking, just "will I get screwed by the RNG?"

Most ship combat is easily conquered, so for most of a run you're building towards taking down the final boss, and good luck if you don't find one of the specific ways of doing so -- you'll get quickly overwhelmed by attrition even if you want to try a longshot lucky maneuver.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Turin Turambar posted:

it feels more polished than gunfire reborn, and the guns feel better, but so far theres less distinction between the loadouts you unlock (basically an active ability and a melee move) than there is between the gunfire reborn characters. the level ups in robo quest are a little less dramatic than the ascension goblets in gunfire reborn, some are just stat boosts, but some are big modifications to abilities.

its aesthetic but i like the environments in roboquest more, and the meta progression is upgrades to your base camp instead of a skill tree thing, kind of like monolith. the enemies so far are all different types of robots so whether thats a pro or a con is up to you.

i need to spend more time on it before i give a Verdict, but the rad gunplay is more immediately satisfying to me than gunfire reborns, but also i dont like any of the loadouts as much as i like qing yan in gunfire. there is basically the gluon gun from halflife which is very fun

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neo Scavenger dev has dropped

Ostronauts

quote:

A noir spaceship-life sim, set in a solar system cut-off from a ravaged Earth. Design your one-of-a-kind spaceship. Hire crew with physical and emotional needs. Enjoy detailed ship control panels and interiors. Then manage your dysfunctional crew and ship as you fend off bankruptcy...or worse.

It's in EA and it looks REALLY good aaaaa

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Oh hello I am the publisher of this game and came here to post this.

Check it out, it's a really, really ambitious game. We've got 75% of the game systems in but only about 10% of the content. We've got a really big roadmap of stuff coming in Early Access and we think this thing is a proper forever game.

Here's the trailer we got Naomi Nagata from The Expanse to do the VO for!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLkhM1v6AFw

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Zedlic posted:

In any case I gave up on Qud for now and switched to CD:DA instead, and boy is that an ascii user interface that is a joy to use.

Opinions are funny things, I would never use "CD:DA" and "joy" in the same sentence, about anything, ever. That game is impressively unfun. The amount of work the those devs put into misery systems is noteworthy.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

Opinions are funny things, I would never use "CD:DA" and "joy" in the same sentence, about anything, ever. That game is impressively unfun. The amount of work the those devs put into misery systems is noteworthy.

Opinions indeed are, because I mostly agree with you. Having played it most of the day while sick at home, it's impressive in scale and depth, but not particularly fun to play. The UI however is well designed for an ASCII game, in that it follows its own rules consistently and makes it fairly easy to figure out how to do what you want to do.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ostronauts apparently asks you your preferred pronouns when you run it for the first time and you can make your character gay without knowing you're doing it, so the Steam reviews are probably going to be entertaining in that sad pathetic way that people who can't handle that sort of thing do.

Neo Scavenger was so good, I hope this one turns out good too, but gonna wait until its further along cuz I don't have a whole lot of patience for early access stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Ostronauts apparently asks you your preferred pronouns when you run it for the first time and you can make your character gay without knowing you're doing it, so the Steam reviews are probably going to be entertaining in that sad pathetic way that people who can't handle that sort of thing do.

Neo Scavenger was so good, I hope this one turns out good too, but gonna wait until its further along cuz I don't have a whole lot of patience for early access stuff.

How do you make your character gay without knowing it? Is it the Bioware issue where you'll have two dialog choices and one is being an rear end in a top hat to the character and the other starts the romance?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Skwirl posted:

How do you make your character gay without knowing it? Is it the Bioware issue where you'll have two dialog choices and one is being an rear end in a top hat to the character and the other starts the romance?

In the opening text choice sequence where you're given scenarios like "I saw an important person with data I wanted, I picked their pocket/flirted with them/hacked them" you can flirt and only then be told their gender/name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

StrixNebulosa posted:

In the opening text choice sequence where you're given scenarios like "I saw an important person with data I wanted, I picked their pocket/flirted with them/hacked them" you can flirt and only then be told their gender/name.

That rules.

I remember that survival sim that at first you could only be a bald white guy and then when they added different skin colors it was random and permanently assigned to your steam account and people flipped the gently caress out at being forced to play a character with some amount of melanin.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Skwirl posted:

That rules.

I remember that survival sim that at first you could only be a bald white guy and then when they added different skin colors it was random and permanently assigned to your steam account and people flipped the gently caress out at being forced to play a character with some amount of melanin.

Man, I wish developers weren't economically dependent on stuff like that. Maybe they aren't and they can get enough sales without needing to cater to the worst demographic, but I try not to get my hopes up when it comes to gamers.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that also the game that gave you a dangling dick

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roctavian posted:

Isn't that also the game that gave you a dangling dick

Aka the best game ever.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

That was Rust, and my permanent Steam-ID-tied character is a large, muscular black man with what must be the tiniest possible penis option.

And yeah, people flipped their poo poo over being FORCED to play as A Black or A Woman. It both surprised and confused me.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

DCSS: Is there any mod or option or flag I can do to get damage numbers? I get the idea and philosophy behind not becoming a numbers grind, but I am a slave to them and would like to have them regardless. Or at least try out that flavor of the game if possible.

Edit: Also, what I would give for a tiny effect of some kind that makes attacking feel more like something is happening. I get that ASCII characters can't shake or move outside their box, but even a little blink effect on the @ when attacking would be much better than nothing.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 10, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I think this is already way better than gunfire reborn just via the movement

and then also the metaprogression stuff is less overbearing which is a big plus as well

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Zedlic posted:

DCSS: Is there any mod or option or flag I can do to get damage numbers? I get the idea and philosophy behind not becoming a numbers grind, but I am a slave to them and would like to have them regardless. Or at least try out that flavor of the game if possible.
Nope, the DCSS devs are very much against giving players this information. Best you'll ever get from mainline is:

quote:

If you hit something and the message ends with !, that means you did 7-17 damage. !!: 18-35. !!!: 36-71. !!!!: 72-143. !!!!!: 144-287. !!!!!!: 288+; and so on. Yikes!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Angry Diplomat posted:

Congrats on your win! Now go kill everybody's pasts :v:

Did you find the secret room in the Abbey? There's an NPC there who gives you a free item and unlocks something.

I've killed 2 pasts now (Hunter and Marine) and its interesting that they take away all your gear and give you some questionable equipment in your past BUT the bosses are like semi easier versions of previous bosses. The hunter boss was pretty easy and the marine boss was challenging because I didnt figure out how to dodge the snake bullets until like half way through and the gun they give you was pretty lovely.

I like the encounters though. And the time lines are interesting (hunter has been in gungeon for 1100 years, Marine for like 7 lol)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This looks pretty good, except for the cartoon text sound effects over the guns, which are literally giving me a headache just watching the trailer. If you pop up text on the screen, my eyes are going to reflexively flick to read it, which is stressful when I'm supposed to be focusing on the crosshair the whole time. And even worse, they pop up for just a tiny fraction of a second, so they're gone before I have time to focus, and then there's already something new all the way on the other edge of the screen. Awful.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

As a Deaf gamer with excellent peripheral vision and sight-reading I really appreciate the "visual" sound effects and hope more games do that.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's great if it helps you. I just can't take it, which is fine -- I don't have to play every game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

go spend like 10 hours each playing Nethack and ADOM and then come back here and complain about CoQ's UI

it's up to you to decide whether this is a lesson in humility for you, or a lesson in how badly Stockholm Syndrome has affected old school roguelike players, but either way it should go some length towards explaining :v:

everything stays in the same place in both of those games

not to say that they have good UIs because, lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

megane posted:

This looks pretty good, except for the cartoon text sound effects over the guns, which are literally giving me a headache just watching the trailer. If you pop up text on the screen, my eyes are going to reflexively flick to read it, which is stressful when I'm supposed to be focusing on the crosshair the whole time. And even worse, they pop up for just a tiny fraction of a second, so they're gone before I have time to focus, and then there's already something new all the way on the other edge of the screen. Awful.
I had the same thought looking at the trailer but ingame I basically do not notice them at all because my eyes are pretty much always on my crosshair. I honestly thought they might not be in the actual game for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

megane posted:

It's great if it helps you. I just can't take it, which is fine -- I don't have to play every game.

Maybe there is option to turn it off? Like damage numbers in some games.