Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Needs more Tim Curry representation.

It’s bullshit that there’s a novelty Pennywise dildo and it’s not Tim Curry. You know he would appreciate it so much more than the other guy.

I’m gonna get one yeah.

But sorry I love Skarsgard more than Curry in this role. I never really liked the original It much other than finding Curry kinda fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

BisonDollah posted:

I watched and loved the first episode of Lovecraft Country with my partner and we recommended it to her parents only to get a call later saying there's an anti semetic trope in the third episode that hurt and disgusted them to the nth degree. I looked into it and it seems an evil character who kidnaps and performs experiments on children is called Hiram Epstein. AND THEY CHANGED HIS NAME FROM THE NOVEL!? The antisemitic trope of blood-libel (killing the children to make matzos) isn't that well known but the torture/experiments on Jewish children during the Holocaust didn't cross any writer/show-runner/producer/HBO executives mind? I know it's horror and it's designed to be upsetting but this sounds pretty harmful (I'm refusing to commit to a full judgment without actually seeing it yet). We're still going to watch it, it feels like they must have just changed the character name to make a half-arsed reference to Jeffrey Epstein and weren't trying to be antisemitic but it just goes to show how a little thoughtlessness can totally ruin the experiences of marginalised people even in a show as progressive as Lovecraft Country.

That's what I assumed about the last name too, but the first name is definitely one of a million Freemason references in the show (another reason I love it).

Weird that they took out a lot of the Prince Hall Freemasons stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna get one yeah.

But sorry I love Skarsgard more than Curry in this role. I never really liked the original It much other than finding Curry kinda fun.

finding this out is like getting stabbed in the kidney BY YOUR OWN FRIEND

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Maybe the real friends were the ones we stabbed along the way.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Lovecraft Country is very, very good. People should not be sleeping on it.

I loved the first two, but episodes three and especially four fell off sharply for me. I'll still continue with it but there's some deviations from the book that are really not working for me.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I guarantee you there's some data that shows TV studios that you only have to put in the effort for the first two episodes and the finale of every season to keep people watching.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

I just want people trying to survive and escape a labyrinthine tomb full of booby traps while a mummy stalks them for 100 minutes. I don't need globe-trotting, I don't care about mummies in a city, I don't need apocalyptic stakes; gimme a small, claustrophobic mummy movie.

Eh, I'm rather fond of the Dracula format where they disturb the mummy's tomb and have a frightening encounter, most of them manage to escape, they return home and think everything's fine, but then the mummy starts picking them off one by one using curse powers.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, I'm rather fond of the Dracula format where they disturb the mummy's tomb and have a frightening encounter, most of them manage to escape, they return home and think everything's fine, but then the mummy starts picking them off one by one using curse powers.

Huh, so Final Destination is also a mummy/Dracula movie

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The Phantasm sequels are weird. The non sequitur sexual harassment poo poo in III is very off-putting.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I've had to catch up on a lot of this thread, but I feel like I need to share I finally got around to Maniac Cop 2 and that poo poo was BONKERS. I mean, the first movie was fun for what it was but MC2 just completely goes for it in the last half hour. It's also amazing to me that the first movie was made in 1988 and the sequel came out in 1990, and they both manage to feel like sleezy late 70's flicks. They only part that feels super 1990 is the AMAZING Maniac Cop Rap over the end credits.

I also noticed that the film was dedicated to Joe Spinell, and it got me wondering if the character of Turkell was originally supposed to be Frank Zito from Maniac. According to IMDB trivia, the answer is "sort of!" Looks like Spinell was going to play the role, as a bridge between the 2 films but passed away before filming began.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

What if that happens but the twist is they're still in the pyramid?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Cube a long time ago and remember reasonably enjoying it, so I was thinking maybe I should watch through the whole franchise. I was shocked to discover that there are only three Cube movies. That felt like the kind a fracnhsie that would've gotten a new movie every year or every other year for a decade

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Escape Room is pretty much a Cube sequel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

finding this out is like getting stabbed in the kidney BY YOUR OWN FRIEND

I’ve always been very open about my love for new It, specifically chapter 1. It’s very much kind of horror I not only love but want to make.

A big feature I wrote that I desperately need to make is about kids vs monsters, and the tone for It is pretty close to what I was trying to go for. A little spooky for some, but mostly fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im not upset at you liking it im upset at the absolute DISRESPECT towards Tim Currys IT.

Bill's IT falls under the blunder of specifically trying to be a CREEPY clown, which just backfires. Curry's IT was just a normal clown who was creepy as hell and that made him actually scary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Curry is let down by everything else surrounding him. Skarsgard gives a decent performance that is lifted by everything else around him in the production, so it depends on what we're specifically talking about. In a vacuum I think Curry is the clear winner but that mini-series really hasn't aged well overall imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like Tim Curry as Pennywise but I just never liked the movie enough to really like, love love it.

I enjoy watching his scenes disconnected from the movie more than anything else. I love Tim like everything and he’s one of my favorite character actors of all time. But yeah I dunno. I never really liked It all that much and the new one really just struck a cord with me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timeless Appeal posted:

What if that happens but the twist is they're still in the pyramid?

An occurrence at Egypt creek.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also New Pennywise scratched an itch I’ve been craving, which is the trash talking evil villain that just enjoys being the meanest thing around.

I’d love to see more of that honestly. I miss a good horror villain like that. Someone I enjoy watching have a blast.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats why Chucky works so well imo hes mean as gently caress and talks a lot of poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love chucky so much. He’s such a fun character because once you get to the “of Chucky” movies he kind of becomes likeable in a way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

im not upset at you liking it im upset at the absolute DISRESPECT towards Tim Currys IT.

Bill's IT falls under the blunder of specifically trying to be a CREEPY clown, which just backfires. Curry's IT was just a normal clown who was creepy as hell and that made him actually scary.
I really wonder how well Bill's would work with different costuming and make-up though. He makes some really good choices. I love the moment with Georgie and the little girl in 2 when he just really can't hold back that he's just this hungry monster ready to devour his prey. I could even see the voice working for more of an innocent looking Pennywise. It reminds me of Vincent D'Onofrio in Men in Black. Bill plays it like this monster stuffed into a skinsuit. It sadly doesn't carry over to all the other forms.

I said this before, but Curry works well because he's a condescending adult. Bill plays it more as an exaggeration of what kids might be captivated by, but it's just a little bit off. He's an Old God's interpretation of a cartoon character. But the costuming and make-up doesn't really sell that. It is dope that his head is a spider body though.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I watched Cube a long time ago and remember reasonably enjoying it, so I was thinking maybe I should watch through the whole franchise. I was shocked to discover that there are only three Cube movies. That felt like the kind a fracnhsie that would've gotten a new movie every year or every other year for a decade

The problem is that it has worse sequels than Hellraiser.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The problem is that it has worse sequels than Hellraiser.

That should be no obstacle to the survival of a franchise.

Especially Cube! You literally need one sturdy cube and you can film infinite Cube sequels in it until it falls apart.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Day of the Dead vs Godzilla vs The Host, MONDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1900 EST Day of the Dead
2050 EST Godzilla
2235 EST The Host

:spooky: Necronomicon vs Hannibal, TUESDAY on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST Necronomicon
2115 EST Hannibal

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm in the middle of watching 1BR, and it's been good so far, but I had to take a break because I just got too upset when the cat died. I knew it was coming, like the second that cat showed up I thought "oh that poor baby is dead", but it still made me feel sad when it happened. I hate it when pets are killed in horror movies. It's super common, but I've never gotten used to it. I just really love all cats and dogs and I want them to be safe and happy, ya know?

just finished and That could have been anything burning in her oven. The cat surely escaped while they were remodeling the room and was rescued by someone not in a cult

:colbert:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Does the Dog Die covers a whole lot of stuff that is very useful to be able to look up even if its only when you're feeling a little more fragile than usual.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've got popcorn, I've got pink lemonade, and I'm about to watch Godzilla (1954) for the first time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tarnop posted:

I've got popcorn, I've got pink lemonade, and I'm about to watch Godzilla (1954) for the first time

:neckbeard:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Get some tissues too

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tarnop posted:

Keep us posted

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Get some tissues too

"I can't believe I have to say this..."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really wonder how well Bill's would work with different costuming and make-up though. He makes some really good choices. I love the moment with Georgie and the little girl in 2 when he just really can't hold back that he's just this hungry monster ready to devour his prey. I could even see the voice working for more of an innocent looking Pennywise. It reminds me of Vincent D'Onofrio in Men in Black. Bill plays it like this monster stuffed into a skinsuit. It sadly doesn't carry over to all the other forms.

I said this before, but Curry works well because he's a condescending adult. Bill plays it more as an exaggeration of what kids might be captivated by, but it's just a little bit off. He's an Old God's interpretation of a cartoon character. But the costuming and make-up doesn't really sell that. It is dope that his head is a spider body though.

I feel the movie really missed the point with the Pennywise design, while the TV mini nailed it. The clown is supposed to lure children in, because hey, it's a clown with balloons, so Curry's colorful design really sells that. The movie version is "What if we can make the creepiest looking clown ever?" which defeats the purpose. Dirty clothes, rat incisors, wonky eyes, makeup resembling devil horns. I felt it was such a let down.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Y

Davros1 posted:

I feel the movie really missed the point with the Pennywise design, while the TV mini nailed it. The clown is supposed to lure children in, because hey, it's a clown with balloons, so Curry's colorful design really sells that. The movie version is "What if we can make the creepiest looking clown ever?" which defeats the purpose. Dirty clothes, rat incisors, wonky eyes, makeup resembling devil horns. I felt it was such a let down.

Yeah , it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's a great design but there's just something really creepy about Curry's clown that Skarsgard's Pennywise doesn't have he's just flat out "scary lookingest clown ever".

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I feel like an idiot but I really, really enjoyed The Babysitter: Killer Queen. It's dumb as poo poo but super entertaining and bloody.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

Y

Yeah , it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's a great design but there's just something really creepy about Curry's clown that Skarsgard's Pennywise doesn't have he's just flat out "scary lookingest clown ever".

They gave him balloons but the filmmakers were too cowardly to have him make balloon animals,

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Popelmon posted:

I feel like an idiot but I really, really enjoyed The Babysitter: Killer Queen. It's dumb as poo poo but super entertaining and bloody.

I'm gonna back-to-back them tonight I think

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Godzilla (1954)

Well, that was brilliant. I was way too engrossed to livepost any of it, although there was one moment where I was tempted. More on that later.

The effects show their age but it doesn't matter. The soundtrack, the roar that sounds like two oil tankers colliding, and some superb lighting throughout the film create such striking moments that my mind was happy to fill in some blanks and patch over some of the rough bits. And really who cares when Godzilla silhouetted against the burning skyline looks that good (and horrifying).

No individual character is that deep or complicated but it doesn't matter. This is a story about collective decision making, collective struggle, and if course collective grief. A selection of broad but easily understandable characters come together and work through some really knotty moral questions and it's great to watch. It feels earned when a character delivers the films thesis statement almost straight to camera at the end. This is not a film that's interested in being subtle about its themes.

It's also really efficient filmmaking. It does not mess about getting to the monster himself appearing on screen. Crucially it doesn't skimp on the important stuff like seeing communities react to boats going missing, rather than dwell on the spectacle of them being sunk. When the counterattack is escalating there are no unnecessary scenes of commanders ordering air strikes, or handsome pilots running to planes in slow motion. It doesn't waste time with reaction shots when Godzilla's breath attack wipes out a crowd of civilians; it trusts you to be horrified.

I didn't cry at the end but that says more about my brain than the film's emotional heft.

Blimey.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

Also New Pennywise scratched an itch I’ve been craving, which is the trash talking evil villain that just enjoys being the meanest thing around.

I’d love to see more of that honestly. I miss a good horror villain like that. Someone I enjoy watching have a blast.

I imagine if Art the Clown spoke he'd be a huge prick. I kinda honestly expected him to at the end of his first movie. Especially with the turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Godzilla is okay, but it could have really been improved by having a white guy called Steve turn up every ten minutes.