Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

They use it to process words op

hosed up if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

mystes posted:

Latex is decent as a typesetting language but I don't think it's great as a word processing experience, and I don't think emacs is really a replacement for an actual word processor either unless you just want to write latex in a plain text editor with previews of equations.

it's absolutely not a word processor it's a programming language that happens to output pdfs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I use word processors to convert word docs to PDF.

I also use word processors to write resumes, which then get converted to PDF.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Malcolm XML posted:

it's absolutely not a word processor it's a programming language that happens to output pdfs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

fun tex facts: it's a programming language via textual substitution

everything is done via macros

it's obviously turing complete: https://wiki.haskell.org/wikiupload/8/85/TMR-Issue13.pdf

u have to run latex and bibtex 3 times because they all date back to the good ol days when ram was expensive

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

Can't say I'm entirely unsympathetic when every single idiot gently caress programmer has had Terminal HTML5 Brain for at least the last five years

the rare item that Sapozhnik, Tankakern, and I can all agree on

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Sapozhnik posted:

Can't say I'm entirely unsympathetic when every single idiot gently caress programmer has had Terminal HTML5 Brain for at least the last five years

do you honestly crack open vim and start writing TeX when you want to write a letter?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

not that it would be uncool. I'd respect that. but using word processors is normal lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Every time I try to get into latex the toolchain seems like absolute trash. what's the pro toolchain?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
even my cv is .txt now, i think i've only used word processors to open lovely windows project docs at work in the last 15 years

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Truga posted:

even my cv is .txt now, i think i've only used word processors to open lovely windows project docs at work in the last 15 years

So you use tex for type setting?

I just apt-get installed tex and the package + dependencies are 689 megs. Good start

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

i use "download linkedin as pdf" op

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ok i've figured out the difference between tex and latex and I have hello world in that cool font you see in academic journals. Badarse resume here i come, wish me luck linux thread

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Every time I try to get into latex the toolchain seems like absolute trash. what's the pro toolchain?

emacs

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i'm way to invested in vim to install emacs in 2020

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Amethyst posted:

i'm way to invested in vim to install emacs in 2020

Good news, you can use spacemacs or doom-emacs and have a vim interface binding

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I write documentation at work.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

got an acceptable workflow going with sublime text + minimal build script + pdf viewer

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Amethyst posted:

got an acceptable workflow going with sublime text + minimal build script + pdf viewer

I thought you were invested in vim

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hifi posted:

I thought you were invested in vim

sublime vintage is just as good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I still use nano in the console, gedit for basic text editing, and a Jetbrains IDE for programming.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i don't think emacs sucks or whatever, it's cool as poo poo like vim is, I just don't have the time to invest into it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the documentation I write at work is either a text file, e-mail, or Confluence (in-browser rich text editor)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just use interleaf

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I used LaTeX for lab reports and stuff in school, and did it all on a PowerBook 520 with 120MB of disk and 12MB of RAM

there was a LaTeX distribution for the Mac called OzTeX that was both compact and fairly complete, and thanks to its .dvi reader app I didn’t even have to generate PDFs from my documents before printing them

for editing there was an emacs-like shareware editor called Alpha that was pretty badass, it had great syntax coloring, automatic source code navigation, etc. and was extensible in Tcl, and the main reason it existed was so its author and other academics could have a nice TeX writing environment on their Macs, so it had a ton of conveniences to use with LaTeX

not gonna lie, if I had to do a ton of writing in LaTeX these days, I’d probably set up an emulator and use that for everything, rather than try to deal with the modern gigabyte-scale distributions

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, latex was way worse in that era. the internals has been modernized heavily (proper support for modern fonts, unicode, vastly improved image/drawing embedding, a ton of weird limits lifted, etc. etc.), and while the tooling is still pretty rough the situation is better with e.g. evince to live preview the actual pdf rather than suffer the hugely unreliable dvi roundtrip.

you don't need a huge distribution to make it work, but tbqh if you aren't really space-constrained the most convenient way is indeed to get some recommended baseline.

really the worst thing about latex is that the defaults, despite claims from the believers, are pretty bad (mostly computer modern is a trash font), and it is a bit verbose for the super-common stuff. if someone got around to building a dsl that let you start writing in markdown with good default packages and only add "real" latex as you got more advanced the case for it would be pretty easy to make.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I use edlin

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

RFC2324 posted:

I use edlin

excuse me this is the linux thread?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really the worst thing about latex is that the defaults, despite claims from the believers, are pretty bad (mostly computer modern is a trash font), and it is a bit verbose for the super-common stuff. if someone got around to building a dsl that let you start writing in markdown with good default packages and only add "real" latex as you got more advanced the case for it would be pretty easy to make.
The problem is that markdown is completely insufficient for almost anything. All you really need is something on the level of wordpad that lets you apply apply styles that can be mapped to arbitrary latex separately, but this is apparently impossible in 2020.

The fact that everyone has given up and just uses markdown with a separate preview window (because making a WYSIWYG editor is too hard now) in an editor that's written in Electron or something just shows that all software is garbage now.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Amethyst posted:

vscode + Latex Workshop extension

you can even view the pdf inside vscode

e: i tried overleaf but i still prefer vscode since the document preview is instant

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
whenever possible, i prefer plain text files w/ vscode extensions (markdown, plantuml, todo+, etc) in a git repo
otherwise i use ms word if it's private or google docs if it's public/shared

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the russians used a pencil

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sniep posted:

excuse me this is the linux thread?

FreeDOS version runs under linux and is GPL licensed

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

I mean what do people itt use word processors for, i am well aware that many people continue to use word processors

ms word is pretty good as an ide actually. you can make your code look just how you like it, none of this dumb poo poo like “all function names must be the same color”. needs a few vb macros to add refactoring support and so on but vb is easy to write

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

ms word is pretty good as an ide actually. you can make your code look just how you like it, none of this dumb poo poo like “all function names must be the same color”. needs a few vb macros to add refactoring support and so on but vb is easy to write

hahahhahahahahaha

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

Blink once if Shaggar is holding your family hostage.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

abiword is the best ide 4 me

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The use of anything other than Pico/Nano is a counterrevolutionary exercise in bourgeois formalism.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
ed is the standard text editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

ed is the standard text editor.

This is decadent primitivism. Pico/Nano is the historically inevitable conclusion to the scientific development of the text editor.