Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

The Little Kielbasa posted:

My wives keep cheating on me and producing illegitimate children that nevertheless have many of my congenital traits. Now, I'm pretty inbred so that could explain it but it seems weird when my strong, handsome ruler finds out that his strong, handsome, and intelligent kid is actually the product of my intelligent wife's indiscretions with my genetically worthless vassal.

This could be luck, but is it possible that children are generated using the apparent father's genetics rather than the biological father's?
Intrigue dudes are literal wizards, i.e. an outcome of an intrigue scheme can overwrite the real father. Not sure why it does this when it probably better to not touch that and achieve a similar effect through character modifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

lurksion posted:

Intrigue dudes are literal wizards, i.e. an outcome of an intrigue scheme can overwrite the real father. Not sure why it does this when it probably better to not touch that and achieve a similar effect through character modifiers.

If I remember correctly "Real father" doesn't exist on characters who are not a target of this scheme so it's probably just a poorly named variable.

Still that event seems to happen a lot and there isn't any scheme or decisions to try and counter it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

strong bird posted:

i dont give a poo poo about the quasi-cheating stuff people do, i want the actual game to work

I tend to agree, though I do think that the stacking MAA building buffs might need to be re-evaluated at some point in the near future, as it can be a huge advantage over the AI even when playing normally (it's just cranked up to x1000 when doing NK mode). Plus it's boring to encourage building the same building everywhere and making big stacks of the same kinds of MAA. I don't really care if they ever change the domain thing, though an easy fix would be to allow it to cap out at 100% rather than 90%.

There are more pressing matters at the moment though.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Zero One posted:

If I remember correctly "Real father" doesn't exist on characters who are not a target of this scheme so it's probably just a poorly named variable.

Still that event seems to happen a lot and there isn't any scheme or decisions to try and counter it.
real_father is used for normal bastards

strong bird
May 12, 2009

father is the public visible father on the character page, real father is meant to be the actual father and genetic source instead, but for some reason they added a relatively common Disputed Parentage event which sets Real Father even when its incredibly obvious thanks tot he DNA system who is and isn't the father

1) ai rulers will go massively into debt mysteriously with no obvious causes (mercs and embarking have an impact here but idk how you go -2000 in debt just embarking) and with no real problems re: realm stability
2) the game rules regarding exclaves only work on INDEPENDENT top level rulers so their/your vassals can and will abuse 6 and 7
3) ai rulers will never make matrilieal marriages and this is hard-coded
4) ai rulers will never improve their holdings (caveat: mayors, barons and bishops will and is why muslim realms have less gold and less levies in some cases - they control their mosques directly, and so dont improve them)
5) ai rulers have no idea how to handle factions
6) there is no cooldown for holy wars...
7) there is no cooldown for conquest wars...
8) ...leading to insane viking/frankish colonies all over the map which are supremely stable thanks to 1 and 2

all of these things could be identified as a problem in like 2 hours of play time but iguess they were busy lovingly crafting the nipples for the occasional naked lady youd see

if anyone isinterested i made a collection of mods that solve (or try to) a few of these issues:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2225940729

i got better AI to see if it would solve the marriage problem but it doesn't. it seems to do some other decent stuff and the guy is actively working on it so I kept it
fewer AI armadas increases the cost and embarking time and makes the AI less likely to use boats to move 1 province
free console access gives you a hotkey to toggle debug mode
more game rules has options for reducing seduction and gives you options for adding cooldowns to holy wars and conquests
vikings bordergore contained is pretty extreme and it makes the CB norse viking rulers get only valid against their neighbours. it works though. gently caress the swedes

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've definitely had my vassals build improvements in their holdings, but they do so extremely slowly and rarely.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
#1 and your second mod go hand in hand. Attacking England as Spain and the English army must have embarked about 70 times just to move around a few provinces

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I'm trying to create a new faith from Khurramism which has the reincarnation tenet, which Zoroastrianism doesn't normally have access to. As a result, I can't reform the faith without removing reincarnation, which I don't want to do. Is there a way around this with the console or something?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the AI keeps a war chest ('just in case' they can form the titles they want) so its possible if your vassal is insanely wealthy they'll go over the limit and start spending some. its why baron-level vassals have no problems with spending, they dont keep war chests

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Whorelord posted:

I'm trying to create a new faith from Khurramism which has the reincarnation tenet, which Zoroastrianism doesn't normally have access to. As a result, I can't reform the faith without removing reincarnation, which I don't want to do. Is there a way around this with the console or something?

yeah. form the faith without it and then (probably a good idea to wait until you get the Schism event):

add_doctrine doctrine_ (hit space and it will give you a list of doctrines)

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

So it turns out that a Hungarian claimant has a claim on Poland, and a dude in Bohemia has a claim on Hungary, resulting in the HRE being able to snatch both kingdoms with ease.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Whorelord posted:

I was of the understanding that when reforming an unreformed faith you can basically make it whatever you want, it will just be more expensive the more it differs from the original. Is it different for that religion for some reason?

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I really love the emergent storytelling. My father, the king of Ireland, went to war with England to take some territory in Wales. Turns out that we were evenly matched and the war dragged on for almost a decade. He was killed in battle and my brother took over. He died of a heart attack within a year and I took over as king. I was 14, my vassals hated me, and I was thrust into the middle of a decade-long hell war. The vassals wanted to put my aunt on the throne and rose up. I couldn't fight both wars at once so I was forced to take a white peace with England and surrender to my aunt.

A few years later England attacked and we were taking a beating. My twin brother created a faction to reinstall me as king. I seized the opportunity and got decent support from some vassals. After winning back my throne I imprisoned my aunt, made her renounce her claims, then banished her. I thought that would be the end of it, but no! A few years later I see she's married to the king of England. From there I had a glorious reign as a brilliant ruler: Ireland was stable, I won a crusade for Jerusalem and made my cousin and friend a queen, and I created the king of Wales title. In the middle of the war for the last duchy in Wales I was assassinated by my aunt. It took her 60 years but she got her revenge. Of course my son assassinated her in return but drat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Broken Cog posted:

I was of the understanding that when reforming an unreformed faith you can basically make it whatever you want, it will just be more expensive the more it differs from the original. Is it different for that religion for some reason?

Zoroastrianism is not an unreformed faith is the deal.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah heresies have a bunch of tenets that are unavailable depending on the religion, but sometimes premade religions violate it. Like warmongering is unavailable to Muslim heresies but Almohadism has it because they were historically a bit aggro. Consequently if you reform Almohadism you have to abandon warmongering, and thus raiding.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah, I haven't actually tried changing an already established faith, so that explains it. Thanks!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've never actually looked, can you make your own christian heresies?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Some tenets are locked to particular religious families, and as far as I know reformation does not bypass them. You still need to be Hindu to pick up Bhakti, for example.

Azhais posted:

I've never actually looked, can you make your own christian heresies?

Yes.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Look forward to the next 400 years consisting of your idiot viking vassals sailing down the coast of Europe, taking over a million scattered tiny counties around the Iberian peninsula and the Black Sea, and then making you defend their claims from their pissed-off neighbors.

Seriously, I granted independence to every vassal that did not hold land in the de jure Scandanavian empire as I was running up to form the title and I still have all this nonsense. It sure made succession easy when my younger sons were inheriting auto-formed Brittany and Galacia with zero counties or any work on my part.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
there is some way to make my heir to have sons? he married some very nice lass but the boy is 30 and no sons yet

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zeta Acosta posted:

there is some way to make my heir to have sons? he married some very nice lass but the boy is 30 and no sons yet

Does he have land? I believe landed characters are more likely to have children, to prevent courts from being overrun with kids.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zeta Acosta posted:

Seduce his wife and keep it a secret.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Magil Zeal posted:

Does he have land? I believe landed characters are more likely to have children, to prevent courts from being overrun with kids.

how do you give land to another character?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zeta Acosta posted:

Right-click them and choose "grant title". Note it only works if they are in your court (including wanderers visiting your court) or one of your vassals.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 11, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zeta Acosta posted:

Right click him -> Grant Title.

You might not be able to do that to your primary heir depending on your succession laws.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zeta Acosta posted:

Either right click on them and it's an option near the bottom, or open the county screen and there's a "Grant To..." button.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
thanks

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Right click him -> Grant Title.

You might not be able to do that to your primary heir depending on your succession laws.

yeah i cant, my son is the heir but he has not rights on his own

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 11, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Seductions main use is to make sure your neighboring kingdoms have more heirs than titles to hand out on death.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

This video is a pro-click, I know a fair bit about this game but this taught me a few new things.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tetramin posted:

I was confused about this too. If it tries to declare war on the liege that doesn’t mean it has high authority. Check if the count you’re declaring on has a duke above them, right click declare war on the duke, that should let you go to war for your claim against just the duke/count. It’s weird, and I don’t know if it’s intended or if it was like this in CK2.

If high authority is in place it just grays out the declare war button with red text that you cannot declare war.

That's probably what I needed to do. It became moot because the owner of the province died and had no heir so i was able to claim it. I also discovered as vassel i can go on my own war, so when Greater Moldavia fell apart recently, I was able to sneak in steal a good chunk of its western holdings.

Also my father was a psychopath and had all the King of East Francia's children murdered until only his barren niece became his heir. This means the King of Bavaria is going to become king of EF, and i'm curious on what will happen because he is only a petty king and EF is second only to West Francia in power right now, hopefully this will cause some collapse and I can become independent, so I can conquer Strasbourg. That Prince Bishop keeps giving me the stink eye at council meetings.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Whats your guys go-to structure for vassalizing? Do you tend to give them to knights, councilors, family, or try to find good candidates to invite to court? I'm slowly getting better at understanding this system but it's still one of the more confusing ones, especially because of the foresight it requires down the road. For example, I was having Councillors vanish mysteriously until I figured out it's because I'd give a Duchy title to my son, and my councilor who owned a county in that dutchy would become part of his court. Since retracting titles is such a huge pain, it feels like you only get one shot to set up your holdings correctly, especially if you're expanding quickly. And you can seriously mess up your kingdom in the long run if you just give them away willy-nilly.

Guess I'm wondering if there's a particular stable structure to use a template.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 11, 2020

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
So in my Cornwall game I've managed to create Britannia (and rename it Prydain even though that's Welsh because Brexit means Brexit and Anglo-Saxons can shove it). I converted a while ago to Insular for flavor reasons and because I wanted to prep for making a new heresy that would go even harder on the pre-Christian Celtic syncretism. I'm thinking about Ritual Celebrations, Communal Identity, and maybe Polyamory to keep that feature from Insular even though I've not used it as much as I probably should. Are there any other neat and/or flavorful combinations I should look out for?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chewbot posted:

Whats your guys go-to structure for vassalizing? Do you tend to give them to knights, councilors, family, or try to find good candidates to invite to court? I'm slowly getting better at understanding this system but it's still one of the more confusing ones, especially because of the foresight it requires down the road. For example, I was having Councillors vanish mysteriously until I figured out it's because I'd give a Duchy title to my son, and my councilor who owned a county in that dutchy would become part of his court. Since retracting titles is such a huge pain, it feels like you only get one shot to set up your holdings correctly, especially if you're expanding quickly. And you can seriously mess up your kingdom in the long run if you just give them away willy-nilly.

I prioritize close family, skilled courtiers, and knights, in that order. Unless I have a specific plan in mind.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'm not sure what the hell you're supposed to do about your ruler dying and then all your vassals hating your heir. Everyone liked my ruler and I had a tight succession plan that went smoothly to my daughter but immediately most of my vassals started a faction to lower crown authority followed by a second one usurping my kingdom. I don't mind rolling with the punches but this all happened in the span of a few minutes after a long game and I'm frustrated I don't have any idea what to do about it. I've had variations of this occur in a few games now. The only thing I can think of is to die with a mountain of gold and immediately send a gift to most vassals (or buy a ton of merc contracts).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My war-mongering, ambitious king died, leaving his equally war-mongering, ambitious son the throne. Said son has three daughters, but no sons of his own by the time he inherits, and I finally have another one. I get the name your child pop-up, and decide that I don't like the name, so I hit "from an ancestor" and it gives me "Svend", which I accept, thinking that's the name of his uncle. But I looked around and it wasn't. Worse, I realize that "Svend" is also the name of my character's father's arch-enemy, the King of Denmark. A giant relentless one-eyed bear of a man that just war declared me every single chance he got. And vice versa. I want to say my character's father had at least six wars with Svend. It was unthinkable that my/his son would name a child after him.

................and then I thought, no. No, it's not unthinkable. It's perfect. And now I'm naming all the rest of my children, as I have them, after my character's father's (and eventually his own) worst enemies. For he is a warrior, and he wants his children to be named after the greatest warriors he has ever known and faced.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ultrachrist posted:

I'm not sure what the hell you're supposed to do about your ruler dying and then all your vassals hating your heir. Everyone liked my ruler and I had a tight succession plan that went smoothly to my daughter but immediately most of my vassals started a faction to lower crown authority followed by a second one usurping my kingdom. I don't mind rolling with the punches but this all happened in the span of a few minutes after a long game and I'm frustrated I don't have any idea what to do about it. I've had variations of this occur in a few games now. The only thing I can think of is to die with a mountain of gold and immediately send a gift to most vassals (or buy a ton of merc contracts).

It's been talked about here before, but one strategy is to keep a bunch of heathens or criminals in prison and just do a mass execution on succession so you get to 100 dread and everyone fears you. That should stave off most rebellions and factions for a couple of years at least.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
really wish the "chance of children" text had a tooltip showing the modifiers. So often it's "none" and I have no idea why.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

If you want a stable realm you do need a plan, yes. Whether that's executing important prisoners to generate dread, gold for mercs/gifts, immediately creating titles/handing out vassals to raise fame/opinion, marrying off kids for alliances, or something. Or you can roll with the punches, either way.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

There's no need to land your knights, they won't leave your court if they have a job. It's flavourful to "reward them for their service" and all but meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

Pick the learning trait that tells you when you're about to die -> Imprison your strongest vassals one by one when you get the event -> Laugh all the way to the afterlife. In fact, it's best to be proactive about this and imprison your strongest vassals even if you're not about to die.

Alternatively:
- marry your grandsons to your strongest vassals' families
- keep a few extra titles for the new ruler to hand around after death
- do what you suggested and just beat them all into submission every generation (though it's tedious, especially if you own a huge empire)
- also: if you ever get a crusade, take the time to walk both yourself and your heir to the crusade target until they get the "crusader" trait for a massive bonus to opinion